Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Yeah, the boxed Black Seas Barracuda and Metroliner are each worth a good $200 apiece on eBay or BrickLink.

The BSB is the grail of a lot of AFOLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

BAM! This is the start of something good.

You can't put lego anywhere without building on it.

Minifig MADNESS!

My robot army.

Oh hey what's this little guy doing?(found him in my new mess-o-lego)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

That is in fact a treasure trove of sets that would fetch a pretty good price if you sold them. Which you shouldn't, because you'd regret it.
Eff that, he should sell that boxed Black Seas Barracuda and buy three unboxed ones or the entire original Pirate line with the pile of money he'll have from that if he's going the "for my kid" route.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Canis Dufus posted:

After rediscovering my love for early nineties shoot 'em ups, I built these microscale starfighters in LDD the other day:

Then I thought, what would they look like as game sprites?

Now I'm seriously considering building an entire shmup diorama with swarms of enemies and an end-of-level boss.

Did you just zoom out and go to a top view to get those sprites, or just used the designs as reference and drew them up?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Looks like the Marvel sets are up on shop.lego.com

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought the Lego Friends set Olivia's House for my girlfriend this weekend and thought I'd post some pics for any goons who are wondering what the Friends sets are like.

The house is divided into 4 rooms, roof and frontyard. The pieces for each room came in a numbered bag (from 1-7) and then the rooms stacked together to form the house. The build quality is really good and there are a metric fuckton of accessories like flowers, plates, food, etc. All the doors in the house open and there is heaps of attention to detail.

The packaging said for ages 6-12 but I don't know if a set with this many small pieces would be suitable for a young child. I think it'd be ideal for someone who was maybe 10-14 and a bit OCD about their toys.

Pics:

More pics here

And bonus pics of my garbage truck that seems to have suffered the wrath of the Alien Mothership:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

cyberia posted:

I bought the Lego Friends set Olivia's House for my girlfriend this weekend and thought I'd post some pics for any goons who are wondering what the Friends sets are like.

The house is divided into 4 rooms, roof and frontyard. The pieces for each room came in a numbered bag (from 1-7) and then the rooms stacked together to form the house. The build quality is really good and there are a metric fuckton of accessories like flowers, plates, food, etc. All the doors in the house open and there is heaps of attention to detail.

The packaging said for ages 6-12 but I don't know if a set with this many small pieces would be suitable for a young child. I think it'd be ideal for someone who was maybe 10-14 and a bit OCD about their toys.

Pics:

More pics here
That is absolutely adorable. Wonderful set.

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...

Captain Invictus posted:

Eff that, he should sell that boxed Black Seas Barracuda and buy three unboxed ones or the entire original Pirate line with the pile of money he'll have from that if he's going the "for my kid" route.

When you say boxed I feel like I need to clarify. I have the box...possibly even the original instructions. But inside that box is the BSB in 3 parts. Hull-Captains Cabin- Masts. I played with all my stuff, and though nothing is broken, and probably in mint condition, it's still opened. Does this change the scenario?

On the other hand, I am pretty much looking to do what you said. Sell this collection, and make a little scratch and just buy a kid stuff later. As an update, my wife and I spent 2-3 hours just sorting through random shoe boxes worth of pieces and have assembled a color sorted mess.

Testro
May 2, 2009
If there's no urgency (i.e. you don't have to move house, you have storage space etc), I'd hold onto the stuff. A lot of what you have in your collection is appealing to children - and if it isn't their bag when they're older, then sell it at that point.

I will say that there's something pretty special when you're a kid about playing with stuff that your parent owned as a child.

Otherwise, if you desperately want to sell, the boxes will help matters even though they're not BNIB. Take photos of everything, close ups of the pieces, accurately describe the condition, ensure that it's 100% complete and you'll get a better return than if you just jabbed it on eBay with a simple photo. The more you seem to know about a set, the more confidence people will have in buying from you, and the fewer bidders you'll get who are just looking for a bargain.

I picked up a lot of Pirates stuff to complete my childhood collection for well below its original RRP over these last couple of years, all because the auctions weren't as good as they could've been, so other people were put off bidding. You've only got one chance to sell it, so make a good fist of it. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I was at a car boot sale earlier today and saw someone walking around with a Queen Anne's Revenge box under his arm. Whatever he paid it was undoubtedly a bargain. :(

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 8, 2012

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

cyberia posted:

Pics:

More pics here

We were hoping to pick up the Tree House set today at Walmart but they were out. I don't really want to part with $70 for the full-size house. We really like the Olivia sets, as they're not quite so "stereotypical girl".

Also, my daughter is 5, and she can do reasonably well with most sets, but I'd probably think about helping her with that one. Maybe. I'll usually let her go til she gets stuck.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

rickiep00h posted:

We were hoping to pick up the Tree House set today at Walmart but they were out. I don't really want to part with $70 for the full-size house. We really like the Olivia sets, as they're not quite so "stereotypical girl".

Also, my daughter is 5, and she can do reasonably well with most sets, but I'd probably think about helping her with that one. Maybe. I'll usually let her go til she gets stuck.

The treehouse set is crazy popular. It was the second most popular set on US Amazon until it sold out (and has dropped a bit since) and the most popular set in the UK (currently third in toys overall) and is high up in all sorts of wishlist charts and stuff.

Overall I get the feeling Friends is doing pretty well. Friends of ours with a 4 year old girl have a couple of the small sets and she builds them, takes them apart and makes new things. I really wish the line had more appeal for boys. It seems a lot more rebuildable than the stuff my son has which tends to really only have one way of being built (city, cars, ninjago). He plays with Lego but doesn't really build stuff. He won't touch Friends, but I really like the small sets... they just seem much more recognisable vignette based than anything he likes and seem really good for building and playing.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Gravy Jones posted:

I really wish the line had more appeal for boys.

I didn't think it would have much appeal for boys, but I've seen a ton of boys really enjoy the Friends sets. I think it helps because of the play brick we have in the store, because they actually get to use some of the cool pieces that are in the sets before picking out their sets.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

youareoffthehook posted:

I didn't think it would have much appeal for boys, but I've seen a ton of boys really enjoy the Friends sets. I think it helps because of the play brick we have in the store, because they actually get to use some of the cool pieces that are in the sets before picking out their sets.

Mine has zero interest. But then again he's got zero interest in City stuff either. It's got to be ninjas and dinosaurs and explosions and superheroes. I like the Friends line becuase it's not action and I think the "characters" are easier for kids to identify with than generic firemen and truck drivers.

I'll keep an eye out for the bakery or cafe cheap because he likes cooking make-believe (and real cooking). It'll be a hard sell though. Some more inclusive marketing and figures would probably have helped a lot. I wish they'd have thrown a male customer (or janitor or potential tween love interest on a skateboard) in with the cafe for example.

It's kind of ironic that my main complaint about the Friends line is kind of the opposite of many people's issue with it. Even the name irks me a little, the idea that "Friends" is intended for girls. The important of friendship and a lot of other traits and ideas is completely absent form a lot of boys toys and marketing.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 8, 2012

Sean OFarrell
Feb 27, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

Mine has zero interest. But then again he's got zero interest in City stuff either. It's got to be ninjas and dinosaurs and explosions and superheroes. I like the Friends line becuase it's not action and I think the "characters" are easier for kids to identify with than generic firemen and truck drivers.

I'll keep an eye out for the bakery or cafe cheap because he likes cooking make-believe (and real cooking). It'll be a hard sell though. Some more inclusive marketing and figures would probably have helped a lot. I wish they'd have thrown a male customer (or janitor or potential tween love interest on a skateboard) in with the cafe for example.

It's kind of ironic that my main complaint about the Friends line is kind of the opposite of many people's issue with it. Even the name irks me a little, the idea that "Friends" is intended for girls. The important of friendship and a lot of other traits and ideas is completely absent form a lot of boys toys and marketing.

But dragons and swords and castles are awesome. Who needs friendships when you can wave a sword at someones head :D

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Guess the set:

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

meltie posted:

Guess the set:

Technic helicopter with the flex system thingies to tilt the rotors.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

My wife, dirty enabler that she is, pointed out that Lego Kidsfest will be here in Denver later this month.

Anyone been in the past? If so, how is it? It seems, obviously, rather more kid than AFOL oriented, but I'm curious.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2012

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

eclipse posted:

Technic helicopter with the flex system thingies to tilt the rotors.

Yep! 8856 Whirlwind Rescue :)

You can see me repairing a few of the 20-year-old toggle joints.

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...
I still have one assembled at home. My mum found it while clearing my room out ahead of some building work. It's survived well, albeit rather dusty.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I just found a Portal of Atlantis 8078 set on my local craigslist. Dude is trying to say that it retailed for $175, and hes selling it at a steal of a price at $125! Amazon has it for $76 bucks. I offered him $50, lets see how this goes.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Thought some of you might be interested in this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/JoshuaACNewman/mobile-frame-zero-rapid-attack

Lego robots fighting. They seem to have put more thought into it than Brickwars.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sair posted:

Thought some of you might be interested in this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/JoshuaACNewman/mobile-frame-zero-rapid-attack

Lego robots fighting. They seem to have put more thought into it than Brickwars.

We have a thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476710

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Torael_7 posted:

My wife, dirty enabler that she is, pointed out that Lego Kidsfest will be here in Denver later this month.

Anyone been in the past? If so, how is it? It seems, obviously, rather more kid than AFOL oriented, but I'm curious.

My son, 9, my wife and I went to it in Cincinnati. It's very kid oriented. We all enjoyed it and it's a fun way to spend a few hours. We went on Sunday and there were a ton of ticket scalpers, I think all shows had sold out. Note there were give aways at booths, but if you weren't a child or with one, you were not getting it.

The most popular stand was for Ninjago, one side you helped build a large scale blue ninja and got a Ninjago figure with spinner and the other side you played the game and got a poster, lines were about 15-20 minutes per side. There was an ultimate builder class, that was about an hour, you had to get tickets in one line and then get there at the specified time. There was a Friends section, a place to make a mosaic, a huge pile of Lego to play in, also a Duplo pile and area, we walked by but didnt go in.

An area to make a building and then they made the US. A monochromatic building area, which was cool. A games section where you could pick and play a game. A building game area where you won a small bagged star wars Lego. A store, seemed to be standard Lego pricing, but my wife was later told they were selling Mindstorms for $175, which I didn't see. There was a sculpture area, they had the new superhero sculptures, Lightning McQueen, Harry Potter and more. There were old Lego store display pieces, like the large sarcophagus, and small dioramas in boxes. Ramp area where you could build a car and race it.

There was no Technic section or Mindstorms, but I can understand that.

It wasn't anything like the Indianapolis BrickWorld,or an AFOL show, but neat especially for my son.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The Rage posted:

I just found a Portal of Atlantis 8078 set on my local craigslist. Dude is trying to say that it retailed for $175, and hes selling it at a steal of a price at $125! Amazon has it for $76 bucks. I offered him $50, lets see how this goes.

That's ridiculous. I got one for $30 on eBay recently.

It's amazing how much people will try and charge for Lego online. Whenever I look on eBay there's always someone selling a set for twice the RRP or selling a set for the normal price then charging $150 for shipping.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Speaking of insane prices, I was looking at these two lots to rebuild my minifigure display terrace and the prices went insane, these aren't normal are they?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/130677152128
http://www.ebay.de/itm/130677153826

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

AzMiLion posted:

Canis,

Took s short break from collegework today and threw together this thing using some of the methods in your builds. You have some clever stuff going on in em.

I should really start using mocpages to dump all my stuff.

Neat! The forward prongs look almost like crab claws. :3:

When I built the fighters I tried to make the center section and the left and right wings/prongs fairly self-contained, so that I would be able to mix and match different center sections with different wing configurations. Originally I even wanted the cockpits to be modular, but that proved too limiting at that scale, especially in LDD.

SynthOrange posted:

Did you just zoom out and go to a top view to get those sprites, or just used the designs as reference and drew them up?

A bit of both. I started with a top view screenshot which I resized to sprite format, then I cleaned that up in a graphics editor using the design as reference. It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped but the results look decent enough.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
If anyone lives out near Burnley way someone is selling Earth Defence HQ for £35 on Ebay but it's pick-up only. It's number 1 on my want list at the moment but It would cost me too much in petrol to be worth my while :(

In unrelated news I slept with my son last night because he's been sick and woke up in the middle of the night complaining about being scared and lonely. I woke up at 5am to find him pressing at different places on my arm. When I asked him what he was doing he said "There, I've just finished building you" and went back to sleep.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gravy Jones posted:

If anyone lives out near Burnley way someone is selling Earth Defence HQ for £35 on Ebay but it's pick-up only. It's number 1 on my want list at the moment but It would cost me too much in petrol to be worth my while :(

Snapped this up just now, thanks for the tip.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

PriorMarcus posted:

Snapped this up just now, thanks for the tip.

Jealous :argh: but glad a goon got it. Bit of a bargain.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Got my 5 PaB cups!

Yes that is an entire container of 1x1 rounds :colbert:

Sean OFarrell
Feb 27, 2012
I built some walls to complete my Dragon's Knights fortress that I have and I filled up about 5 of those big cups as well. I gotta empty them out and go over to the Lego store tomorrow for the sale. Hopefully I'll have the fortress done by then so I can post a few more pictures of it

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

djfooboo posted:

Got my 5 PaB cups!

What's in the one that's second from the right? Looks like a thousand yellow 1x1 rounds. :stare:

I think I have at most 150 of the things...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Got my 5 PaB cups!

Is this today only? Or is there any hope that when I'm in the Lego store in Bellevue on Saturday that I too can score huge amounts of cups.

edit: Guess not, 10th and 11th only :(

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 11, 2012

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Rage posted:

Is this today only? Or is there any hope that when I'm in the Lego store in Bellevue on Saturday that I too can score huge amounts of cups.

edit: Guess not, 10th and 11th only :(

Yeah, I'm stuck too, unless I take half a day from work, since I have a client I can't postpone at 5.
Stupid Bellevue. Need one in Tacoma or Puyallup!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Wait, what's the deal with the PaB cups? They running some kind of special?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm 5 miles from Bellevue Square. What the hell am I missing and where do I sign up?!?

what's this VIP nonsense?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 11, 2012

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Large cup the price of a small cup. You lucky fucks. I hate Iowa so much sometimes.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

I'm 5 miles from Bellevue Square. What the hell am I missing and where do I sign up?!?

what's this VIP nonsense?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Get your Lego VIP card, totally free, then you get to fill the big rear end cups and pay the price of the small rear end cups. I hate you.

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, I'm stuck too, unless I take half a day from work, since I have a client I can't postpone at 5.
Stupid Bellevue. Need one in Tacoma or Puyallup!

Equally bad. I'd have to drive over from Ellensburg but either way, not worth missing a day of work lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Rage posted:

Get your Lego VIP card, totally free, then you get to fill the big rear end cups and pay the price of the small rear end cups. I hate you.

Equally bad. I'd have to drive over from Ellensburg but either way, not worth missing a day of work lol.

What were you gonna fill up with?