Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

IRQ posted:

Twilight, from what I've heard, is much more creepy and hosed up and that's even more enormously popular, with women anyway.

I think Gurm gets away with it because it's in a medieval fantasy setting.

Real subtle, hoss. I bet no one's the wiser.

(Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Being a teenager in terms of bridging a gap between childhood and adulthood is a relatively modern invention but that doesn't mean that a modern man who wants to write about teenagers getting violated like they were in the good old days isn't a creep.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Team Tyler's Van!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

I like having sex with women my age

And this is why you'll never be a successful fantasy author.

You are not worthy of a silly captain's hat and pube-beard.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Team Parking Lot of the Elementary School!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey I loving read Twilight too. Sometimes shear morbid curiosity gets the better of me (also, Stephanie Meyer was a loving celebrity in Utah so it was impossible for me to avoid her goddamned fans which are all now in college and don't give a poo poo about that series anymore).

Tony Danza Claus posted:

And this is why you'll never be a successful fantasy author.

You are not worthy of a silly captain's hat and pube-beard.

:smith:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Team Mustache Dad!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Team Tyler's Van!
Team Mustche Dad is the best team.

Edit:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Team Mustache Dad!
Great minds think alike.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I never believed it until now, but there really are no literary depths to which the Wild Cards will not sink. It's chaos in here! :ohdear:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sophia posted:

I never believed it until now, but there really are no literary depths to which the Wild Cards will not sink.

You must be new here.

edit: VVV Hazing time.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 10, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ Hazing time?

Sophia posted:

I never believed it until now, but there really are no literary depths to which the Wild Cards will not sink. It's chaos in here! :ohdear:

After 5 GRRM novels watching the Twilight movies (with Rifftrax) barely sets off my "this is bad" meter.

I read the hunger games books on Monday and I was relieved to finally come across a book series that wasn't bursting at the seams with pedos and rape and incest and pear shaped men.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

After 5 GRRM novels watching the Twilight movies (with Rifftrax) barely sets off my "this is bad" meter.
I had watched the twilight movies with Rifftrax too and the first couple of them were pretty funny but I must say that even Rifftrax couldn't make the last one funny.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey, come on guys. Anne Rice was writing lovely vampire romance novels WAY before Stephanie Meyer did. Let's give credit where credit is due. :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ Anne Rice's lovely vampire novels > Twilight > True Blood

Factor_VIII posted:

I had watched the twilight movies with Rifftrax too and the first couple of them were pretty funny but I must say that even Rifftrax couldn't make the last one funny.

It was okay at best.

But there's literally a 20 minute montage of them honeymooning and a 45 minute montage of mouth-agape being sick.

The whole movie had like 4 pages of dialogue.

There's no way to keep a joke stream going when literally nothing happens and no one talks.

I can't believe people seriously watched that. It's like a 2 hour laundry detergent commercial with a giant cgi wolf fight at the end.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Real subtle, hoss. I bet no one's the wiser.

I actually haven't read it, I did see the first movie though, and not even for a good reason like why I saw The Hunger Games movie.

There was a Twilight hate thread in TBB awhile back that explained just how goddamn creepy and hosed up those books are.

Team Tyler's Van!

Also this.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I can't believe people seriously watched that. It's like a 2 hour laundry detergent commercial with a giant cgi wolf fight at the end.
Agreed. I can't blame the rifftrax guys considering the material they had to work with. I'm almost impressed with the audacity of the creators of that movie. The philosophy behind it must have been "teenage girls will pay to watch this no matter what so we dont have to give a gently caress about it".

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Danza Claus posted:

True Blood

I only saw the first season of that show and it was loving hilariously stupid. How bad has it gotten since then?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Re: The Hunger Games I read some article saying that it was great that young girls finally had a real role model to look up to in Katniss and what? I like those books but she is a lunatic and partially sociopathic. I guess maybe they meant in comparison to Death Fetishist Bella or Stockholm Syndrome Dany or Too Brainy To Get a Man Hermione but it still made me despair at the state of female role models if Katniss is considered the peak.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanna talk female role models, let's talk Sansa Stark :allears:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sophia posted:

Re: The Hunger Games I read some article saying that it was great that young girls finally had a real role model to look up to in Katniss and what? I like those books but she is a lunatic and partially sociopathic. I guess maybe they meant in comparison to Death Fetishist Bella or Stockholm Syndrome Dany or Too Brainy To Get a Man Hermione but it still made me despair at the state of female role models if Katniss is considered the peak.

I've only seen the movie, but what about Katniss makes her a lunatic or sociopathic? I mean maybe it's just because I've been used to "strong female characters" lately being complete and utter unfeeling mass murderers like Ferro Maljinn and Monzcaro Murcatto from Joe Abercrombie's books, but it seemed like Katniss was a relatively normal girl who was just put in a crazy rear end child-killer gameshow where everyone else is trying to kill each other anyway.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

I only saw the first season of that show and it was loving hilariously stupid. How bad has it gotten since then?

Basically take the Game of Tits show and merge it with the writing of Twilight.

True Blood is legit the worst show on tv.

And you will seriously learn to hate nudity because of it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Contra Calculus posted:

I've only seen the movie, but what about Katniss makes her a lunatic or sociopathic? I mean maybe it's just because I've been used to "strong female characters" lately being complete and utter unfeeling mass murderers like Ferro Maljinn and Monzcaro Murcatto from Joe Abercrombie's books, but it seemed like Katniss was a relatively normal girl who was just put in a crazy rear end child-killer gameshow where everyone else is trying to kill each other anyway.

Well, the lunatic part comes more from the later books, but in the first book she's constantly trying to figure out how human emotions work - she's baffled by Peeta in particular, but really at anyone showing any other person kindness or concern. She is capable of loving her little sister but basically gives her mom a scolding in their potentially last interaction ever and later is like "huh, well, I guess I told her I love her, that's probably good enough".

She's always trying to ape the emotions and actions of others around her without really understanding them, can't read facial expression or tone at all, and thinks that people are robots programmed to survival like she is. She can't develop long-term attachments to anyone but 12 year-old girls, even Gale, and even then the attachments are more out of a desire to protect something she has claimed rather than have a reciprocal loving relationship. She also easily falls into the pattern (in the books) of displaying false emotion for tangible rewards from Haymitch, which is completely crazy and really sociopathic.

You could say some of that is a product of her environment but Peeta isn't like that at all so it can't all be. What she's doing makes sense from a storytelling / thematic perspective, and I find her a very interesting character, but it doesn't really make her a great person or a role model.

Edit: Hell, the opening scene in the book is how she wanted to drown a stray cat that her sister found.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 10, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dead Man Posting posted:

If you wanna talk female role models, let's talk Sansa Stark :allears:

According to the article I read in the Metro a week ago, did you Sansa is a strong female character who doesn't at all act like a prissy princess character? It's true! It's laid out quite clearly in the first novel, A Song of Fire and Ice.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

According to the article I read in the Metro a week ago, did you Sansa is a strong female character who doesn't at all act like a prissy princess character? It's true! It's laid out quite clearly in the first novel, A Song of Fire and Ice.
It all makes sense. Sansa shows true agency when she rats out her dad to Cersei, thus ensuring the destruction of her house.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

IRQ posted:

I actually haven't read it, I did see the first movie though, and not even for a good reason like why I saw The Hunger Games movie.

There was a Twilight hate thread in TBB awhile back that explained just how goddamn creepy and hosed up those books are.

Also this.

Do you have the link to this thread? I'd love to go through it. :allears:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sophia posted:

katnissisasocipath.txt

Well drat... :stare:

Now I might actually have to read these books though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

No, Sackhoff isn't pretty, sorry. It's like Rachael McAdams had a baby with the Joker.

Here we see the goon, frowning upon the phallocentric mewling of Reddit, then pronouncing judgment on the all-important sex appeal of Katee Sackhoff

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 10, 2012

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Factor_VIII posted:

It all makes sense. Sansa shows true agency when she rats out her dad to Cersei, thus ensuring the destruction of her house.

I got banned in the bad thread for posting pretty much this but with slightly harsher words :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Starbuck's sex appeal is important when talking about her playing Brienne, as that character's lack of sex appeal is an important trait. :eng101:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

Well, the lunatic part comes more from the later books, but in the first book she's constantly trying to figure out how human emotions work - she's baffled by Peeta in particular, but really at anyone showing any other person kindness or concern. She is capable of loving her little sister but basically gives her mom a scolding in their potentially last interaction ever and later is like "huh, well, I guess I told her I love her, that's probably good enough".

She's always trying to ape the emotions and actions of others around her without really understanding them, can't read facial expression or tone at all, and thinks that people are robots programmed to survival like she is. She can't develop long-term attachments to anyone but 12 year-old girls, even Gale, and even then the attachments are more out of a desire to protect something she has claimed rather than have a reciprocal loving relationship. She also easily falls into the pattern (in the books) of displaying false emotion for tangible rewards from Haymitch, which is completely crazy and really sociopathic.

You could say some of that is a product of her environment but Peeta isn't like that at all so it can't all be. What she's doing makes sense from a storytelling / thematic perspective, and I find her a very interesting character, but it doesn't really make her a great person or a role model.

Edit: Hell, the opening scene in the book is how she wanted to drown a stray cat that her sister found.

You're weird. But I'm happy to see the explanation you wouldn't post in the TVIV thread.

Katniss is like she is because she grew up in a dystopian hellhole. She wanted to drown the cat because it's another mouth she has to feed. Peeta isn't like that because his family is rich as gently caress as far as district 12 goes. Why she is the way she is is not hard at all to figure out, I mean it's YA, it's not really nuanced at all. This is not to say that she's a very deep character or is particularly well written or anything, but she's not a sociopathic lunatic, she's a product of her environment through and through and I don't think she was really meant to be much more.

It really speaks more to the sad state of female protagonists that she's considered a good one or a role model or whatever. But again, compare her to Becka or whatever from Twilight. Book literally has a bunch of blank pages when her perfect vampire stalker boyfriend leaves her or something.

VaultAggie posted:

Do you have the link to this thread? I'd love to go through it. :allears:

It's probably archived by now. Google for some blog posts, there's plenty out there laying out how creepy and weird and anti-feminist Twilight is.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

True Blood (the show) is great.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

I think Gurm gets away with it because it's in a medieval fantasy setting.

Or a far distant future. :colbert:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

General Battuta posted:

Here we see the goon, frowning upon the phallocentric mewling of Reddit, then pronouncing judgment on the all-important sex appeal of Katee Sackhoff

I've learned that the only difference between goons and redditors is that redditors defend pedophilia... that's literally it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
the ten bucks was completely worth it then.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Contra Calculus posted:

I've learned that the only difference between goons and redditors is that redditors defend pedophilia... that's literally it.
When you gaze long into Reddit, Reddit also gazes into you.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

Hey, come on guys. Anne Rice was writing lovely vampire romance novels WAY before Stephanie Meyer did. Let's give credit where credit is due. :colbert:

Piers Anthony was writing about interspecies sex (where do you think centaurs CAME from?) long before HP was shat out onto paper.

That's right; XANTH, BITCHES!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

Well drat... :stare:

Now I might actually have to read these books though.

The titular Hunger Games are really the best part of the books. Battle Royale like but with more media fascination factored in.

The violence is a little high for a YA series, even in the first book, but I think the Author set out specifically to write about kids suffering from PTSD and the horrors of war.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Intel&Sebastian posted:

the ten bucks was completely worth it then.

Comedy internet forum!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sansa: I'm a pretty princess. Whoops I destroyed my family. Better pout and build snow castles.

Bella: life is meaningless without my ~Edward~

Katniss: I AM ARCHERYBOT. FEED ME ARROWS. ERROR ERROR HYOOMON_EMOTION.exe NOT FOUND.

Dany: my life is meaningless without my ~Drogo~ ~Daario~

Arya: I actually have a personality and think for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But no boys like Arya though so she can't really be a female role model.