Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MMMCCLI posted:

Hollow Crown is my favorite of the previous albums but Nightmares and Ruin are solid. The Here and Now isn't bad, it's just not nearly as good as the others.

Picked up Hollow Crown last night. Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've heard the name Enter Shikari thrown around before but only now just listened to a song on YouTube.

Yeah that poo poo sucks.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

They weren't really doing much metalcore after their first album anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Traitorous Leopard posted:

They weren't really doing much metalcore after their first album anyway.

Pretty much this. Their first album is actually pretty good, but after that they stopped doing metal.

I still listen to it from time to time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eh, they definitely don't belong in this thread, but I still really dig em.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Picked up Hollow Crown last night. Owns.

I'm by no means a fan of really anything discussed in this thread but if there was ever an example of "Every song sounds the same" then it is this album. I had the misfortune of having to listen to it when it first came out thanks to the horrors of college radio rotation requirements.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

Killsion posted:

I'm by no means a fan of really anything discussed in this thread

Get the gently caress out then?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

MMMCCLI posted:

Get the gently caress out then?

I fail to see how this is relevant to my conclusion of every song sounding the same though. That was readily on topic to this thread and the discussion of the album.

EDIT: Ahh hell, it ain't worth it. I guess I should just ignore this thread and quit thinking someday I'll see an actual metalcore band in it.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 30, 2012

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Killsion posted:

EDIT: Ahh hell, it ain't worth it. I guess I should just ignore this thread and quit thinking someday I'll see an actual metalcore band in it.

There have been tons of metalcore bands discussed in this thread.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

bleedbackwards posted:

There have been tons of metalcore bands discussed in this thread.

I haven't really seen any... I even asked a page ago and never got a response.

Killsion posted:

So it is pretty clear this thread is targeted at newer melodic metalcore and deathcore which the metal fans abhor, but what about old metalcore like Acme and Rorschach? Or is that more for the hardcore thread?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Killsion posted:

I haven't really seen any... I even asked a page ago and never got a response.

Please keep posting, we need more elitists with their heads embedded in their own buttholes.

Also I've never heard of those bands but will give them a listen anyway just to check it out.

Also college radio rotation requirements? I'm curious about this, as I'm the ~metal director~ at my local station and I can play whatever I want.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

krustster posted:

Please keep posting, we need more elitists with their heads embedded in their own buttholes.

Also I've never heard of those bands but will give them a listen anyway just to check it out.

Also college radio rotation requirements? I'm curious about this, as I'm the ~metal director~ at my local station and I can play whatever I want.

I can understand not knowing Acme, they were very influential but ultimately not that well known, but not knowing Rorschach? Rorschach is practically a household name with Integrity for metalcore.

I think because our station acts more like a real station we have to play what companies want us to play, thus the rotation. I think the basic way it goes is these labels send us music, we play that music on rotation giving it some exposure. There are also companies that basically flat out tell us "Play this!" who I believe give us some money in exchange. Most of that stuff the companies ask for is what you'd expect from this thread as in scene deathcore and the like thus really bothering the metal DJs. Course the "alternative" guys have it just as bad.

I should specify what I mean by rotation. Each show is in a two hour block, the rotation is a list of generally 7-20 albums/songs of which we need to play at least 7 of them usually by the end of the shows duration to make people we hate happy.

I quit a few years ago because I couldn't deal with the rotation and a few other things that bugged me. There is only so many times I can slip in a Converge song to try and make a 2-3 song rotation block during the show listenable.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I dig integrity but I don't really like rorschach which is weird.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008

Killsion posted:

I can understand not knowing Acme, they were very influential but ultimately not that well known, but not knowing Rorschach? Rorschach is practically a household name with Integrity for metalcore.

We've mentioned Integrity (I know I have), All Out War, Lash Out, Earth Crisis, Unbroken, and others. The focus of the thread is on newer stuff but we have talked about more traditional metalcore over the course of it.

One of my favorite newer bands, Black Breath, just put out a new album and it is awesome. I think some of you dudes would be into it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

bleedbackwards posted:

We've mentioned Integrity (I know I have), All Out War, Lash Out, Earth Crisis, Unbroken, and others. The focus of the thread is on newer stuff but we have talked about more traditional metalcore over the course of it.

One of my favorite newer bands, Black Breath, just put out a new album and it is awesome. I think some of you dudes would be into it.

I still haven't heard the new album but Heavy Breathing is drat good. I brought up The Secret in the hardcore thread but they are relevant here too as they got a pretty big metalcore influence behind all the crust and grind. Solve Et Coagula is a hell of a ripper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX-5alDQ14 (May be NSFW, some bare breasts and various dead bodies)

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
I was relieved to hear that the guitar tone from Heavy Breathing is intact on the new Black Breath. It was absolutely massive on the slower songs like I Am Beyond and the breakdown on Black Sin.

Solve et Coagula is a good album though it gets a bit abrasive after awhile. I remember when the Secret came out with their first album Luce, which was somewhat generic early/mid-2000s technical metalcore. But they actually had coherent songs and some recurring musical themes throughout that album that made it easier to digest than most of the spazzy bands that were playing around that time.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

bleedbackwards posted:

I was relieved to hear that the guitar tone from Heavy Breathing is intact on the new Black Breath. It was absolutely massive on the slower songs like I Am Beyond and the breakdown on Black Sin.

Solve et Coagula is a good album though it gets a bit abrasive after awhile. I remember when the Secret came out with their first album Luce, which was somewhat generic early/mid-2000s technical metalcore. But they actually had coherent songs and some recurring musical themes throughout that album that made it easier to digest than most of the spazzy bands that were playing around that time.

I like my music abrasive, probably why I prefer hardcore over metal these days, and Solve is basically just a great culmination of metalcore with crust punk and grindcore to create one hell of an intense album that just bludgeons you harder than most things released today. You just don't hear that level of intensity much. I haven't heard Luce but I may have to give it a whirl based on that track.

Since you mentioned technical metalcore, Creation is Crucifixion would be an essential band for technical metalcore. I always found them rather underrated despite this though as they rarely seem to get any mention. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFfDolrmB8

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Killsion posted:

I think because our station acts more like a real station we have to play what companies want us to play, thus the rotation. I think the basic way it goes is these labels send us music, we play that music on rotation giving it some exposure. There are also companies that basically flat out tell us "Play this!" who I believe give us some money in exchange. Most of that stuff the companies ask for is what you'd expect from this thread as in scene deathcore and the like thus really bothering the metal DJs. Course the "alternative" guys have it just as bad.

I should specify what I mean by rotation. Each show is in a two hour block, the rotation is a list of generally 7-20 albums/songs of which we need to play at least 7 of them usually by the end of the shows duration to make people we hate happy.

I quit a few years ago because I couldn't deal with the rotation and a few other things that bugged me. There is only so many times I can slip in a Converge song to try and make a 2-3 song rotation block during the show listenable.

I see. Our station is strictly ~non-profit~ and ~educational so we don't do any of that. Maybe we're actually supposed to, but who knows. Anyway I actually have heard of Rorschach come to think of it, but they... kinda sounded like poop. Acme was pretty good though.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
Just chiming in many, many pages after the fact to say I don't get the Whitechapel hate...the vocals are just incredible, but to each his own.

That said, I want bands with albums with vaguely similar lyrical themes to, say, "The Somatic Defilement". I have corny tastes in lyrics, admittedly, at TSD rang my Pavlovian teen angst bell and I'm salivating for more.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Just chiming in many, many pages after the fact to say I don't get the Whitechapel hate...the vocals are just incredible, but to each his own.

That said, I want bands with albums with vaguely similar lyrical themes to, say, "The Somatic Defilement". I have corny tastes in lyrics, admittedly, at TSD rang my Pavlovian teen angst bell and I'm salivating for more.

The problem with Whitechapel is they have one or two good songs per album. And that's it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kingnothing posted:

The problem with Whitechapel is they have one or two good songs per album. And that's it.

I like Whitechapel; I tend to throw some of their songs onto playlists and stuff like that.

Personally, the main problem I have is their albums. They always start off strong, but by the middle I get kinda bored. I can't tell you how many times I've started listening to "A New Era of Corruption" and stopped by the time the 5th or 6th track hit for one reason or another.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

this is false and you are dumb and wrong. All they albums are good.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
My problem with Whitechapel is they take themselves way too seriously. I've seen them live about 3 times. Their music doesn't translate well to stage, they have absolute 0 stage presence except for "look pissed off at crowd", and the 5/3" singer is constantly calling everyone "pussies".

Yawn.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
I've tried to get behind Whitechapel but the problem is that I can't get over the fact that I've had diarrhea that sounds more brutal and musically engaging than anything these guys have put out. Don't get me wrong, double bass and making GBS threads into a megaphone is good fun, but Whitechapel don't seem particularly good at either, unlike some other deathcore groups.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

Bagsack posted:

...but Whitechapel don't seem particularly good at either, unlike some other deathcore groups.

Like who? I'm all for recommendations.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Carnifex, Suffokate, Chelsea Grin, Job For a Cowboy, Despised Icon, Veil of Maya, etc. etc.

Basically all the poo poo I was listening to 2 years ago. They all have killer live sets and don't sound as "muddy" live.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Job For A Cowboy's new album is pretty disappointing. Especially after that great EP they released last year :smith:

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Like who? I'm all for recommendations.

The Faceless would have to be my first mention.

edit: for decent bread n' butter deathcore, Veil of Maya's new album Eclipse might be something to check out. In my opinion, the fact that they sprinkle in a bit more technicality separates them from the more mundane sound of bands like Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin. Then again, the guys from Chelsea Grin are basically like 10 years old or some other ridiculously young age to be putting out music like they do. If they don't all end up in jail from those recent assault charges that have been rumored, they'll probably end up releasing a respectable deathcore album.

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 7, 2012

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
Animosity is another early deathcore band that doesn't get enough exposure. They were really young too, I think 17/18 when this album was released. (Skip to 26 seconds to pass up the stupid intro.)

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Carnifex, Suffokate, Chelsea Grin, Job For a Cowboy, Despised Icon, Veil of Maya, etc. etc.

Basically all the poo poo I was listening to 2 years ago. They all have killer live sets and don't sound as "muddy" live.

Bagsack posted:

The Faceless would have to be my first mention.

edit: for decent bread n' butter deathcore, Veil of Maya's new album Eclipse might be something to check out. In my opinion, the fact that they sprinkle in a bit more technicality separates them from the more mundane sound of bands like Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin. Then again, the guys from Chelsea Grin are basically like 10 years old or some other ridiculously young age to be putting out music like they do. If they don't all end up in jail from those recent assault charges that have been rumored, they'll probably end up releasing a respectable deathcore album.

Already love Carnifex. And I'll give these a shot, except for Chelsea Grin. I'm all for good pig squeals, but I think there's an overreliance on them in their music, and the lyrics from the few songs I listened to were uninspiring. Despised Icon I saw live once and thought had a few good songs, but I'm lyrics snob and remember giving up after listening to one song in particular where he said "insouciance" in a context where it absolutely made no sense, and I burst out laughing. Maybe they've gotten better?

Any specific song recommendations for all these bands, esp. the Faceless, Veil of Maya, and Suffokate?

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Despised Icon are French Quebecers so you should forgive stuff like that. Also are you REALLY complaining about lyrics in metal?

The Faceless
: Leica I guess, it has some fancy guitar work. I'm not a big fan of them since Planetary Duality, but even so there are a lot of bands that do the same thing they do but better.
Suffokate: Slaughter Your Enemies, Holiness is Next to Filthiness, Not the Fallen. All of these are really tight, heavy songs. No Mercy, No Forgiveness is a fantastic album to blast every once in a while, the new one isn't quite as good in my opinion.
Veil of Maya: Punisher (mostly because of the ending now that I know the source, but the song holds up otherwise), but most of their songs are short enough that you're better of just listening to the whole album. [id] is really great.

Think fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

No link because I'm on my phone, but the new The Safety Fire album, Grind the Ocean is available for a stupid price of 1.89. It is easily the best metalcore album I've heard this year, it's an absolute steal at that price. Recommended if you're into the newer proggy stuff like Corelia or Aliases.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Suffokate is really good, particularly their two most recent tapes. "Oakland" has a big following because it's a classic or whatever but I don't like it that much. Chelsea Grin kinda stinks now in my opinion. Their original EP was so heavy and dirty and they just completely lost their edge after that; the production is way too clean and the vocals are not nearly as good. Molotov Solution is the band for you if you like Whitechapel, though. I mean, I like Whitechapel a lot, I'm not agreeing with that guy that put all the band names in bold for some reason, just throwing out suggestions.

I haven't seen them live though. If they actually sound bad on stage then that's a shame.

brother,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-EQb0WSQMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoywYtt95_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l08BPSNCnPc

To me, they sound like a pretty accurate combination of Whitechapel and All Shall Perish. I do have to kind of "lolol" at people saying you should listen to Veil of Maya instead of Whitechapel. they're just so....samey.

also The Faceless is not even deathcore so I don't know what's going on in here right now.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

brothers,

if you like Beneath the Massacre then you owe it to yourself to try Aversions Crown (ugh that name, it really needs an apostrophe)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73bJ3bnoZr8

and as an added bonus for the Whitechapel guy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRgYCh1Vdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVxGnUqQmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlsdx_IDhwQ

RIP Oceano :(

krustster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2012

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
The Faceless is tech-metal. It makes me sad to see Veil of Maya and Whitechapel mentioned in the same sentence as The Faceless. It's kinda like recommending Necrophagist or Spawn of Possession because someone likes August Burns Red.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

I don't know why, I love heavy music but I guess this just doesn't do it for me. Just sounds like sludge to me.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I've tried two songs off the new Emmure tape so far and they are both incredibly good :stare:

"I Am Onslaught" literally made me poo poo in my pants. Hopefully the rest of the album is equally free of whiny parts and filled with absurd heaviness. Speaker of the Dead was a big improvement over Felony which was way too saturated with those weird "crying" vocals.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

krustster posted:

I've tried two songs off the new Emmure tape so far and they are both incredibly good :stare:

"I Am Onslaught" literally made me poo poo in my pants. Hopefully the rest of the album is equally free of whiny parts and filled with absurd heaviness. Speaker of the Dead was a big improvement over Felony which was way too saturated with those weird "crying" vocals.

"Cross Over Attack" had me throwing down in my apartment.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

krustster posted:

As much as I love emmure's older style, that crying vocal thing on felony gives me a boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

krustster posted:

also The Faceless is not even deathcore so I don't know what's going on in here right now.

Whoa, didn't mean to cross the genre streams there. I think the vocal styles of The Faceless and Veil of Maya, their production and the general atmosphere of their music puts those bands in a very similar musical niche.

krustster posted:

I've tried two songs off the new Emmure tape so far..

These tracks are insane. I've never checked out Emmure before but I'm totally sold by those vocals. I'd bet I Am Onslaught would be a disgusting track to see live.