Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I must have a awful sense of humour, as it cracked me up.

Obviously being subtle for this one isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I was expecting it to be more "arseholes being arseholes because it's ironic, innit" than straight up mockery, so I thought that clip was brilliant. Shame they missed the obvious trope of having the other cop appear right in front of the escaping criminal at the end though.

Chilly
Apr 12, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I must have a awful sense of humour, as it cracked me up.

Obviously being subtle for this one isn't going to happen.

I thought all the acrobatics weren't that funny but the Stomp-esque soundtrack being played out live was great, even if it's not very original. I'm already expecting a "Who's on first?" scene with Surrane Jones' character.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The chuckled at that t-shirt too. Also, I sort of hope somebody yells of 'look out e's got a stabba' at some point.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
I propose this as the official bag of the UK TV Megathread.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Has anyone else seen that Free Speech thing on BBC 3? It's pretty bad, like an amateur hour version of Question Time, but with the added bonus of the internet and popularity bars for the speakers.

Though it was nice that the woman who said she wanted capital punishment back, then got all annoyed her bar was shorter than everyone else's.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Z-Magic posted:

I propose this as the official bag of the UK TV Megathread.
The reviews on this are amazing. People have actually written short stories to describe their experience with it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Finally got around to watching Being Human and I have to admit, it did sort of redeem itself by the end.

Also thought it was funny that the werewolf massacre was going to go down in a Liquid nightclub. It would have probably improved that lovely copy/paste place.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Kin posted:

Finally got around to watching Being Human and I have to admit, it did sort of redeem itself by the end.

Also thought it was funny that the werewolf massacre was going to go down in a Liquid nightclub. It would have probably improved that lovely copy/paste place.

I could have sworn that was an Oceania?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

UnquietDream posted:

I could have sworn that was an Oceania?

:ssh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminar_Group

edit: Who, much like these cunts, are going about destroying any form of unique nightlife.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 6, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Could have been worse, could have been a copy of The Sugar Hut.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gorn Myson posted:

The reviews on this are amazing. People have actually written short stories to describe their experience with it.

Weird Amazon reviews have become somewhat of an artform

http://www.fastcompany.com/1779632/the-10-best-amazon-reviews-ever

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Kin posted:

:ssh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminar_Group

edit: Who, much like these cunts, are going about destroying any form of unique nightlife.

Oh cool, learn something new everyday. But from reading that it sounds like they're in some financial trouble with the whole going into Administration last year. What exactly happened with that?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

So I was out in Manchester tonight at Fab Cafe, and they decided to play Together in Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder and Phil Oakley.
I'm hoping this is all down to the advert by EDF Energy that is on UK TV ATM and is the most :3: advert I've seen in a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2BwOMBlato

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just A Minute is the best thing the BBC has done in the early evening slot for at least a decade. And it is so much better on TV because you can see the physicality of the performances and appreciate the interplay that much better. It really should become standard to televise it.
I'm ambivalent about it on TV, because while it's great it's also introduced me to Stephen Fry's horrifying moustache.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I marathoned State of Play today. Don't know why I had put off watching it for so long.

So. drat. Good.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

JingleBells posted:

So I was out in Manchester tonight at Fab Cafe, and they decided to play Together in Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder and Phil Oakley.
I'm hoping this is all down to the advert by EDF Energy that is on UK TV ATM and is the most :3: advert I've seen in a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2BwOMBlato

Look at the wee squishy blob! It's adorable! Appears to be a modified Keepon toy, which are also very adorable.

Still don't like or trust EDF energy, but that is a cute little mascot. Plus, all it does is bounce and squeak cheerfully, so it'll never become as murderously irritating as the Go Compare opera singer, or those flipping meercats.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
But it looks like a little orange-y turd, it's even got a little pinch-off point at the top.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Irisi posted:

Look at the wee squishy blob! It's adorable! Appears to be a modified Keepon toy, which are also very adorable.

Still don't like or trust EDF energy, but that is a cute little mascot. Plus, all it does is bounce and squeak cheerfully, so it'll never become as murderously irritating as the Go Compare opera singer, or those flipping meercats.

It was made by the Keepon doods so in a way it is a modified Keepon toy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

qbert posted:

I marathoned State of Play today. Don't know why I had put off watching it for so long.

So. drat. Good.

This is me about 1 year ago. It's amazing, after the first episode I just couldn't stop myself.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17656633

This is a man who 10 years ago made a huge deal out of not wanting to do things just for money and cheap laughs.

Now he is making television programmes where we laugh at midgets and spastics people who do not have a specific and defined disability.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

So Stewart Lee hasn't actually seen the programme (just some old sketches based around the same character), and the woman who has seen it says it's not what she expected?

I think Gervais is a oval office, but judging something you haven't seen (like people did with Jerry Stringer the Opera, for example) is a twat's game.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

FreakyZoid posted:

So Stewart Lee hasn't actually seen the programme (just some old sketches based around the same character), and the woman who has seen it says it's not what she expected?

I think Gervais is a oval office, but judging something you haven't seen (like people did with Jerry Stringer the Opera, for example) is a twat's game.

That article is months old and was written in reference to Life's Too Short.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I'm really struggling to think of someone who's had a bigger fall from grace than Gervais, excluding people who've done time. He seemed really aware of the trappings of fame up until around Extras time and since then has been insufferable.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I'm really struggling to think of someone who's had a bigger fall from grace than Gervais, excluding people who've done time. He seemed really aware of the trappings of fame up until around Extras time and since then has been insufferable.

There's always been a sense of being an egotistical arse just bubbling under I feel, but these days it's pretty explicit and constant. I mean, take this quote from that BBC article:

"Derek is a fictional character and is defined by his creator, me. If I say I don't mean him to be disabled then that's it. A fictional doctor can't come along and prove me wrong."

What a huge combination of arrogance and stupidity, it's like the guy's lost any sense of self-awareness.

He's either lost the plot entirely or he's just working at an impenetrable level of irony in the creation of his latest character, called Ricky Gervais.

e: A Good Read: http://thequietus.com/articles/07434-ricky-gervais-mong-face

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I agree he's always been arrogant and that's been bubbling under for years, but it always seemed to have a self awareness that he's completely lost. At first, I thought he was doing all of this poo poo as one big joke, but it's been going on for too long now.

I also hate all of his Atheist poo poo. We get it, you don't believe in God.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
When he does talk shows in America he doesn't act like that at all. He's just normal.
I guess he thinks the Americans wouldn't get that it's a joke.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

His appearance on Curb your Enthusiasm seemed pretty self aware.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Watched some of Simon Amstell's stand up on BBC2 last night. Thought it was dire, didn't get far at all, turned off as soon as he started his smug athiest bit. "Well I guess we should treat religious people as children who have imaginary friends, heh :smug:" *crowd explodes into laughter and applause*

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

People think Simon Amstell is funny? That's news to me.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I got his standup DVD on the strength of Grandma's House and was really disappointed. It mostly covers the same ground, and without the sitcom premise it's harder to write off certain annoying traits as being exaggerated for a character.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
People should really watch Cemetery Junction. Popular opinion is that Gervais barely touched it, it's really unlike his TV output. If all of you Gervais haters have, then fine and good. But seriously, that film is one of the best (proper) British films in a long time.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Gervais co-wrote, co-directed and stars in it though :confused: Anyway, it's different to his TV work but that doesn't make it good, I thought it was a terribly generic film and the only real highlight was the performance of whatever the bad boy character was called

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gervais is on his own, I quit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

cloudchamber posted:

That article is months old and was written in reference to Life's Too Short.
Wait, what? It was written yesterday.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Paperhouse posted:

Gervais co-wrote, co-directed and stars in it though :confused:
Yeah but we pretend that the "co" bits are one line of dialogue and a single shot.

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

Akuma posted:

They're on about the Stewart Lee link in the BBC article which is from November last year.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Akuma posted:

I was referring to the Lee article not the linked BBC one.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It references this new character by name for the final three paragraphs, so I think it's fair to say the article is at least a little bit about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

incredible bear posted:

Popular opinion is that Gervais barely touched it, it's really unlike his TV output. If all of you Gervais haters have, then fine and good. But seriously, that film is one of the best (proper) British films in a long time.

I do mean to watch it at some point and I'm not a Gervais hater, but even from the trailer is painfully obvious that he wrote it. He has a very distinctive style that he's unable to shake.