Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What is this bizarro world where electro-industrial people don't know VNV Nation?

I'd say their best/most accessible two are Praise the Fallen and Empires. The former still has some more ebm moments whereas the latter is pretty solid futurepop. The rest of their more recent albums are closer to Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Yea... VNV Nation is one of the bigger selling shows here it seems.

Empires is defiantly a good starting place. FuturePerfect would be my next suggestion.

As for Combichrist, I really prefered Andy's IoC days more. But live is awesome.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The VNV Nation experience:

boo_radley posted:

(...)

VNV had this superslick LED board up and running throughout the show.

"If a man my size can move like this, then all of you can do it, too!"

This was a real thing that occurred -- he got a couple shout outs from Ronan ("are you tweaking right now, mister... Pokemon? Sonic?") and wound up throwing the cap at Ronan, who put it on for a bit. By then I'd retreated to the bar and didn't get a picture of it.

A++ would see again.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

The VNV Nation experience:

Hey! I was there tooo; same side of the stage even. Although your picture looks a little more centered than I was.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

RizieN posted:

Skold

Skold 101:

Skold is a badass that gets alot of flack for being straight to the point angst and joining bands that are on their way out. After Twiggy left Manson, Skold joined from Resident Evil soundtrack until after Eat Me Drink Me, then Twiggy and Manson became bffs again and "booted out the swede". If you play Doom with his songs playing, it's proven your game will be 200% more mindlessley bloody:

Burn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6PkNy3qUlA
Chaos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0h-lcd-VI
Punk rear end Motherfucker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNrMUI1I3I

He was also in a band Shotgun Messiah that was hair metal until he got creative control and the band became (good) butt-metal with industrial elements

I'ma Gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuhjP27R0M

His self titled LP is from 1996 and fantastic. I havent heard his most recent one all the way through, but I heard some of it when it was being worked on and it was pretty rad as well.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pope Guilty posted:

Combichrist's best IMO is "What The gently caress Is Wrong With You People?", but be warned that it seems like at least one song on every album is pretty misogynist.

Making Monsters, despite being panned by a lot of hardcore Combi fans, has a few really great tracks too.

Quirk posted:

Skold 101:

Skold is a badass that gets alot of flack for being straight to the point angst and joining bands that are on their way out. After Twiggy left Manson, Skold joined from Resident Evil soundtrack until after Eat Me Drink Me, then Twiggy and Manson became bffs again and "booted out the swede". If you play Doom with his songs playing, it's proven your game will be 200% more mindlessley bloody:

Burn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6PkNy3qUlA
Chaos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0h-lcd-VI
Punk rear end Motherfucker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNrMUI1I3I

He was also in a band Shotgun Messiah that was hair metal until he got creative control and the band became (good) butt-metal with industrial elements

I'ma Gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuhjP27R0M

His self titled LP is from 1996 and fantastic. I havent heard his most recent one all the way through, but I heard some of it when it was being worked on and it was pretty rad as well.

I like Skold's music a lot but I've always been under the impression that the "flack" he gets is more due to his supposed interest in much, much, creepily younger women.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

Making Monsters, despite being panned by a lot of hardcore Combi fans, has a few really great tracks too.

I like Skold's music a lot but I've always been under the impression that the "flack" he gets is more due to his supposed interest in much, much, creepily younger women.

Yeah Skold is pretty well known to be a massive pedo.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Some of Skold's stuff I love because it just rocks and works perfectly (KMFDM - Anarchy, one of the songs that got me into industrial)

Some of his stuff I find too pandering and emo (KMFDM - Save Me, sounds like something directly off a Linkin Park CD)

I have also noticed he gets into bands on their way out, and inadvertently gained a reputation as a "band killer". It's interesting but I think it's more of him just climbing the ladder and getting higher up in the industry - and bands in their prime don't exactly hire new members/songwriters. Regardless you got to give the guy credit as he successfully worked all the way up to Marylin Manson starting from the absolute bottom.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

Yeah Skold is pretty well known to be a massive pedo.

Wait what :barf:

Welp, there goes Skold's music for me. And I kinda liked the guy.

\/\/ :manning:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 11, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah Peter Spilles is pretty well known to be a massive pedo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

13Pandora13 posted:

Perfect Example! There's "Throat Full of Glass" and "Making Monsters" and "Never Surrender", and then there's (ugh) "Fuckmachine" and, uh, the video for "Throat Full of Glass".

quote:

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah Peter Spilles is pretty well known to be a massive pedo.

:sigh: Just once in my life I'd like to enjoy something and have it not turn out to be problematic.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

:sigh: Just once in my life I'd like to enjoy something and have it not turn out to be problematic.

teethgrinder was just dissing me for instantly believing that Skold is a pedophile.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm lost and I think I'm gonna back away slowly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

teethgrinder was just dissing me for instantly believing that Skold is a pedophile.
I'm kidding around of course. I just thought it was amusing that you'd instantly take the word of some random internet dude. I mean it could very well be true for all I know.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Awesome thread, I wish I thought to investigate the Music forums earlier, some quality stuff in here!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I'm kidding around of course. I just thought it was amusing that you'd instantly take the word of some random internet dude. I mean it could very well be true for all I know.

Yeah, in my defense I'd just woken up and was in a naïve enough mood to believe 13Pandora13's unexpected and heinously nonchalantly delivered throw. Apparently Skold's been married to a lady called Erin for like 15 years (who of course was probably a baby when they hooked up)

Also The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi I want to buy all your drat albums because they rock poo poo, but I don't want MP3s. Get on Bandcamp or something, I want FLACs. I want to give you some loving money

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Holy crap you guys tomorrow I'm going to see Laibach in Manchester. I'm shaking with excitement.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Also The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi I want to buy all your drat albums because they rock poo poo, but I don't want MP3s. Get on Bandcamp or something, I want FLACs. I want to give you some loving money

Ew, money? Gross. But lucky for you we are in the process of building a Bandcamp page (with full wavs), a merchandise store, and a free V9k sample-loop pack for musicians. Should be done by the end of the month!

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005
YOU MAY HAVE TROUBLE REACHING DAS ENDE OF MY POSTS
:words:

Furret Basket posted:

Holy crap you guys tomorrow I'm going to see Laibach in Manchester. I'm shaking with excitement.

As you should be. It will be a good-rear end show. But I don't necessarily recommend the Iron Sky movie they're currently attached to....

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Ew, money? Gross. But lucky for you we are in the process of building a Bandcamp page (with full wavs), a merchandise store, and a free V9k sample-loop pack for musicians. Should be done by the end of the month!

A V9k sample pack sounds awesome. The next Desert M project is going to (hopefully) feature my shamefully neglected sampler and I'm def gonna have to check your sample pack out. Keep us posted!

Furret Basket posted:

gently caress yes, have a great time!

Das Ende posted:

As you should be. It will be a good-rear end show. But I don't necessarily recommend the Iron Sky movie they're currently attached to....

The movie was, uhh... interesting. On the one hand, it's a big happy success and definitely a unique project in that it pretty much looks and feels like a Hollywood production even though it was made with a ridiculously tiny budget compared to them, and also in that it was partly crowd-funded, showing that there is power in fans who believe in your idea. On the other hand... it's not a fantastic movie. I was personally expecting something way funnier, seeing as the guys made Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning before this (which is genuinely hilarious throughout the whole movie), but the amount of brilliant jokes could really be counted on the fingers of one hand. The movie is also just all over the place, it seems like they really had no idea what they wanted the movie to be. Anyway, I thought Iron Sky was far from brilliant or even "very good", but alright. Kind of sad that it's more interesting as a phenomenon than as a movie.

From a Laibach fan's point of view the movie is pretty drat interesting, though, because the music isn't actually the only Laibach thing that is featured in the movie. It was pretty astonishing to see Laibach's symbolism shown so prominently on the silver screen. The movie's themes also touch on a lot of very Laibachian concepts so I can definitely see why they were so interested.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2012

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Thanks for finding me a bunch of music goons, I'd gotten tired of my playlists and decided to go deep on the industrial side.

For content, a few songs from a band I listened to a lot when I was younger, The Kovenant(Not to be confused with Covenant or The Covenant).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllqMOLE5JE Star by star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNcJgKjYPM Mirror's Paradise

They've got a lot of turds, but these two I really like. Shame their new album looks to be going back to the more melodic black metal sound of their earlier albums, though I guess they're better at it.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

I loving love The Kovenant. I think their best album is Animatronic, followed by SETI. Times Before the Light isn't bad either, but I have to be in a really agressive mood to listen to industrialized remixes of a black metal album.

(Animatronic) New World Order - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mohtVnxVGDk
(SETI) Planet of the Apes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEK-bCxlpY4
(Times Before the Lights) The Chasm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZNwZwEF6Aw

Animatronic and SETI are two of my favorite industrial rock albums ever.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wow, never knew Shotgun Messiah was this good. Only thing I knew of them before were the ridiculous Skold pictures that were going around when he joined KMFDM.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Got back from Laibach. Laibach were pretty amazing, like really great. Just as good live if not better.

The venue was pretty terrible, far too small for Laibach, and the crowd was sadly small. And oh the crowd, the crowd pretty much ruined the entire thing. A group of them constantly kept talking loudly which I felt was incredibly disrespectful, and then during Tanz Mit Laibach and Alle Gegen Alle they decided it was a great idea to start a mosh pit in an already small venue. One guy managed to pull me down to the floor even though I didn't want anything to do with it. Very much ruined Alle Gegen Alle which I found rather upsetting.

I don't think a whole room of assholes could have ruined it though, I loved it. I'm glad to have finally seen them. It was worth it.

The setlist was the same as the one posted earlier except there was a nice surprise in the form of Das Spiel Ist Aus right at the end.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The preview for the new Dependent compilation is seriously exciting me, though I admit the Seabound underwhelms me slightly, I'm retardedly excited for proof that new Seabound even exists.

http://dependent.de/index.php?lan=de&area=releases&id=188

The tracklisting is interesting and most of my old standbys are not disappointing:

quote:

1. Radioaktivists - Pieces Of Me
2. KMFDM - Amnesia (Käpt´n K. Mix Edit)
3. Mesh - You´ll Never Understand (Harder)
4. SKOLD - Tonight (The Birthday Massacre Remix)
5. Pride and Fall - Reborn
6. Informatik - World of Wonder
7. Seabound - The Escape
8. Dismantled - Whole Wide World
9. Encephalon - The Transhuman Condition (Singularity)
10. Front Line Assembly - Angriff (Project Pitchfork Mix)
11. Stromkern - Ruin(ed)
12. Acretongue - Violent Pale
13. Ghost & Writer - Fraud (DECAY INC´s Fourty-Something Radio Mix)
14. Velvet Acid Christ - Even Now
15. Decoded Feedback - Another Lost

(click the link, there are long previews of every track even though the player itself sucks)

edit: geez, if Edge of Dawn had gotten on here there'd have been four tracks with Frank Spinnath singing.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 13, 2012

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

The venue was pretty terrible, far too small for Laibach, and the crowd was sadly small. And oh the crowd, the crowd pretty much ruined the entire thing. A group of them constantly kept talking loudly which I felt was incredibly disrespectful, and then during Tanz Mit Laibach and Alle Gegen Alle they decided it was a great idea to start a mosh pit in an already small venue. One guy managed to pull me down to the floor even though I didn't want anything to do with it. Very much ruined Alle Gegen Alle which I found rather upsetting.

They usually have about a dozen assholes show up who apparently are willing to pay €25 just for Tanz mit Laibach. The Volk tour was a bit rough, as they played the entirety of that rather quiet album, and some people just waited for the encore.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

11. Stromkern - Ruin(ed)

What's this :stare:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean? What about that single band/track made you single it out?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I've never heard of a Stromkern track called Ruin(ed). Ruin, yes. Is it a previously unreleased remix? If so does that mean Stromkern are still stromming? Because I miss them dearly.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, Laibach is going to record the Tate Modern show and release it as a 2CD set, AND it also appears they're re-releasing the 2007 Volk London show that was released as a very limited edition some years ago!

Newspiece on Mute

preorder here

what I'm saying is this a loving sweet rear end year for Laibach fans

e: I also can't stop posting about Laibach???

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2012

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

what I'm saying is this a loving sweet rear end year for Laibach fans

e: I also can't stop posting about Laibach???

You are doing the work of the Immanent Consistent Spirit. #

loving great that the Tate show will be recorded. I already have the Volk tour CD, which is pretty great(Although they hosed up Slovania...Milan has his talents, but he's not actually a musical guy and tends to come in at the wrong time occasionally). This Tate Modern show, from what I'm hearing, will be something for every Laibach fan, and most every industrial fan.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Wow, never knew Shotgun Messiah was this good. Only thing I knew of them before were the ridiculous Skold pictures that were going around when he joined KMFDM.

Shotgun Messiah has been completely forgotten by industrial. Their first album Bop City I found on cassette a few years ago and sounds exactly like Skold's thong photo looks. Then Skold and Cody took over and recorded some great ballads and industrial influenced metal:

Living Without You, the best ballad ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AghkI43MVd4
Violent New Breed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRuVC68SuY

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Also The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi I want to buy all your drat albums because they rock poo poo, but I don't want MP3s. Get on Bandcamp or something

Finally, done.
http://volt9000.bandcamp.com

Quirk posted:

Shotgun Messiah has been completely forgotten by industrial.

You know I never realized how they dove back and forth from sounding like harder edged <PIG> tracks, to drat-these-pants-are-tight-and-look-at-my-nipples hair metal.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Who wants to be Bill Leeb piloting a giant transforming mech in a video game? I sure as gently caress do.

http://carbongames.com/2012/04/Front-Line-Assembly-Creating-Music-for-AirMech/

quote:

This led us to decide between Carbon and FLA that AirMech (the soundtrack) will be a fully mastered studio album put out by their label tentatively dated for fall 2012. This arrangement allows FLA to devote all their attention to the album, and the music for the game will be better for it. We are also going to offer exclusive ingame content that you can get when you purchase the soundtrack/album. We’ll have pilots of the band members (including Jason Bazinet) as well as a very special AirMech Variant designed with input from the band.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Finally, done.
http://volt9000.bandcamp.com

gently caress yes. Today is Volt 9000 day :black101:

Also

Gravitom posted:

Bill Leeb piloting a giant transforming mech (+ new FLA material)

:psyduck: okay, I'm interested

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Gravitom posted:

Who wants to be Bill Leeb piloting a giant transforming mech in a video game? I sure as gently caress do.

Neat. First thing that comes to mind is the Mindphaser video with all the Gunhed footage. This feels appropriate.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you're in or near Indianapolis, there's a free show Tuesday night with Dismantled, Accessory, Cyanide Regime, and Xiting the System.

Working weekends pays off for once!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Gravitom posted:

Oh that's totally awesome.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The new OOMPH! music video is TRULY SOMETHING SPECIAL

Also the rest of the upcoming album sounds loving kickass

OOMPH! is my favorite band right after Laibach and it seems like there still will be absolutely no reason for that fact to change :colbert:

e: I mean there is literally a lady shooting watermelons out of her nipples and Dero dressed as a red pepper in that video

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Icon of loving Coil are touring!

They're even playing Indy!

coma-online posted:

Via their official Facebook page, Norwegian Electro Industrial band Icon of Coil have announced a North American Tour for September 2012. The group consisting of Andy LaPlegua, Sebastian Komor and Christian Lund have over the past year slowly returning to the scene and recently played the Resistanz International Industrial Festival.

Sep 06 Washington DC
Sep 07 Philadelphia, PA
Sep 08 New York, NY
Sep 09 Ann Arbor, MI
Sep 10 Columbus, OH
Sep 11 Milwaukee, WI
Sep 12 Minneapolis, MN
Sep 14 Denver, CO
Sep 15 Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 16 Boise, ID
Sep 17 Seattle, WA
Sep 18 Portland, OR
Sep 19 San Francisco, CA
Sep 21 Los Angeles, CA
Sep 22 Phoenix AZ
Sep 24 Austin, TX
Sep 26 Chicago, IL
Sep 27 Indianapolis, IN
Sep 28 Pittsburgh, PA

Oh, they're also playing the Gothic Cruise on Sep 30.