Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
There was a british movie that used to be on TV all the time, I'm fairly sure it was a TV movie and made during the 80s. The plot involved a group of students who kidnap a teacher and put him on trial because they think he is unfair and mean. In the end the teacher ends up hanging himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Slasherfan posted:

There was a british movie that used to be on TV all the time, I'm fairly sure it was a TV movie and made during the 80s. The plot involved a group of students who kidnap a teacher and put him on trial because they think he is unfair and mean. In the end the teacher ends up hanging himself.

The only thing of the top of my head that comes close to that is Foxfire. It's not British, though.

Fiscal Conservative
Feb 26, 2006

Sir Nose posted:

Flesh+Blood http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089153/

Hit the nail on the head! thanks

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Slasherfan posted:

I know the movie you are on about. They put other children on trial for other such things as shoplifting and so on.

I remember that they strip their friends naked and take pictures of them, so thatif the people on trial don't agree to the punishment, they were threatened with having the photos down around school.

With the teacher, the main boy involved uses the pictures to convince the police that the teacher was a pedophile.

I can't seem to remember the name of the movie, which is a shame because it's a movie that had such in my mind.

for the longest time I was sure it was called simply "Police"

I found it. After all this time

It was a screen one production called the police

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296151

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 30, 2012

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw during the 90s. However I don't know if it was made in the 90s or not.

The movie was set in the same time period as Pirates of the Caribbean. The story was told from the view of a kid who was caught between two factions fighting on a tropical island. I'm not sure if any of them were pirates or not. The only thing I can remember from the movie was a long battle scene where the "good guys" fought in this log cabin style fort and the kid reloaded the muskets the entire battle. I also vaguely remember somebody scaring someone else with a story of a ghost pirate named "Duke".

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Mister_Eel posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw during the 90s. However I don't know if it was made in the 90s or not.

The movie was set in the same time period as Pirates of the Caribbean. The story was told from the view of a kid who was caught between two factions fighting on a tropical island. I'm not sure if any of them were pirates or not. The only thing I can remember from the movie was a long battle scene where the "good guys" fought in this log cabin style fort and the kid reloaded the muskets the entire battle. I also vaguely remember somebody scaring someone else with a story of a ghost pirate named "Duke".

The fort battle was part of the novel Treasure Island, it may have been some adaptation of that?

EDIT: in the book I think it was called the Stockade.

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 30, 2012

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There have been a number of adaptations of the story, but I feel like maybe you're thinking of this one in particular:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/

It had a fair few respectable actors in it, too.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Me and my girlfriend are looking for the name of a recent romantic comedy movie. It's about a female journalist, working as an intern for a newspaper. She falls in love with a guy working in a job which he doesen't really like but they're living in different parts of their country which hinders their love.
There's also a scene with him im a tanning booth in which he gets sprayed with the spray tan and in the end he's somehow finally becoming a band manager which was his dream job all along. And there's a sex scene in a kitchen somewhere in the movie as well.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012
Pretty sure that's Going the Distance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_the_Distance_%282010_film%29

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

There have been a number of adaptations of the story, but I feel like maybe you're thinking of this one in particular:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/

It had a fair few respectable actors in it, too.

That's it. Thanks dude.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Scientists are hired to develop a biological weapon. However, the terrorist mastermind tests the weapon on them first. They die. Alot of horror movie imagery. Really dont remember anything else.

Help?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

The whole town is gathered in the (wooden?) church just outside of town because of some crisis. The devil is somehow involved (maybe he visits the church at some point?). I want to say it's something based on a Stephen King novel, probably from the 80s or 90s. Please tell me that I'm not just making this up.

EDIT: Maybe the devil has offered the town some sort of deal, and they're in the church to vote on whether or not to accept? I don't know, this may just be my brain trying to fill in the enormous gaps in my memory.

From Earth fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 31, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
In the Mouth of Madness possibly. The main character is a Stephen King like character.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113409/

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

In the Mouth of Madness possibly. The main character is a Stephen King like character.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113409/

Nope, it's not In The Mouth of Madness. The church I'm thinking of is a lot smaller than the one in ITMOM (think wooden church in a rural area), and the movie focused more on the citizens of the town, rather than on one outsider.

I'm having second thoughts about the Stephen King connection (none of the King-based movies listed on Wikipedia sounds right), so just ignore that part for now.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There's a scene like that in Storm of the Century, which is a miniseries written by King.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

There's a scene like that in Storm of the Century, which is a miniseries written by King.

I'm pretty sure that's it! I watched the trailer, and I recognized certain characters and shots. Plus, there's this part of the trailer, which has all the elements I described (group of character gathered in a small church, the "devil" offering them a deal, which they then have to vote on).

Thanks a lot!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I saw part of a kung fu movie:

Two men were fighting on a dock near a waterfall. They were in the standard shaolin kung fu getups for movies. One guy had this invincible armor that blocked swords and anything, that was this scaly metallic stuff that had merged itself in his skin. And he was fighting a normal guy who was losing the battle. It looked like a fairly recent movie (past 5 years or so). Anyone?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Looked around for this in one of these threads years ago, but I don't think it was ever answered:

Asian gangster movie from the 90's or early 00's. Lots of dark scenes, and I remember a lot of green-ish and blue scenes for some reason. The end of the movie involves the bad guy decapitating the good guy's girl in a field, in a hugely over the top way. When he chops off her head her head flies high in the air. I don't remember there being much blood, if any. Also, this scene isn't meant to be funny, although I remember it being unintentionally so.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
A request on behalf of me and brother. An animated fantasy film where the final scene is the villain who is an evil wizard turns into a dragon. The hero defeats him by pointing out how absurd dragons are and starts listing things like Math Equations and Science stuff. My brother remembers it from the early nineties, I remember it from the british Cartoon Network when they showed it a lot in 2002 (after LoTR and Harry Potter became big). Any ideas for its title?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The Flight of Dragons?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

MrGreenShirt posted:

The Flight of Dragons?

That's it! Thank you

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Okay, I saw the last...15 minutes of this on TV about a month ago while on vacation. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out, because I know it starred John Wayne, and was a Western. When I turned to the channel it was playing on, Wayne's character and several other guys were crouched under rocks or a bridge or something engaged in a shoot-out with a posse. Most of Wayne's guys died, but Wayne and another guy who may or may not have been Dean Martin survived because Wayne killed enough of the guys to force them into retreat. I don't clearly remember the end, but apparently the bad guy was the owner of a gun shop, and Wayne ends up confronting the guy, and blowing up the shop in a massive explosion with the guy inside.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It appears to be the Sons of Katie Elder. All it took was a simple google search to find this out.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The Sons of Katie Elder.

Edit: Goddamnit.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

the posted:

I saw part of a kung fu movie:

Two men were fighting on a dock near a waterfall. They were in the standard shaolin kung fu getups for movies. One guy had this invincible armor that blocked swords and anything, that was this scaly metallic stuff that had merged itself in his skin. And he was fighting a normal guy who was losing the battle. It looked like a fairly recent movie (past 5 years or so). Anyone?

True Legend is the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFu56mWL9xA

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm trying to think of a kid's movie, I'm pretty sure it was claymation, in which a shady character sings a song about "If I'm lying, may lightning strike me down." I thought it was a Rankin Bass movie, but I looked at their list on imdb and none of the titles looked right. Ring any bells?

Ruall the Rebater
Apr 4, 2012
[quote="From Earth"]
The whole town is gathered in the (wooden?) church just outside of town because of some crisis. The devil is somehow involved (maybe he visits the church at some point?). I want to say it's something based on a Stephen King novel, probably from the 80s or 90s. Please tell me that I'm not just making this up.

This could easily be Sleepy Hollow, especially if there was anything having to do with horsemen. (Jonny Dep stared in it)

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Here's one I've been wondering about for years:

I saw the film, I believe in the early 1980s, almost certainly on PBS. It had that made for TV/PBS/BBC look to it. I believe the actors/accents were American and not British, but I can't say for certain. I don't recall the special effects being horrible, so it was likely made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s.

Plot: Scientists have investigated the planet Venus, and after debate decide on a plan to terraform it. They deploy satellites that drop algae into the upper atmosphere. The theory is the algae will consume carbon dioxide and convert it to oxygen, reducing the greenhouse effect and eventually making the planet habitable.

Ending: The plan is successful, but scientists landing on Venus discover that there was some form of indigenous life form that they have inadvertently wiped out.

I've read a lot of discussions, even forum threads, on terraforming generally and Venus, but I've been unable to find the name of this film. I've come across several other individuals who recall the same basic plot elements and also can't recall it's name.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its almost certainly not the movie you are talking about, but Red Planet has a very similar plot including the stuff with the algae.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 6, 2012

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
I saw this film about 5 years ago but it was a much older film I would say in the 1960s or so. International film that may have been called 'fancier time, fancy time/happy time' I don't remember the rest. The main plot of the movie is following the actions of one man who keeps missing other supporting characters by a few moments in each scene. Eventually the main character ends up bumping into the other characters at the end, and each scene where he just missed them adds up into one entire story.

This may have taken place in France. The buildings were very modern, silver. And there is a scene where a new hot restaurant opens up at the end. All of the characters we have seen before are here, then all hell breaks loose. If I remember correctly there is hardly any dialog for most of the film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Playtime

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

SevenStringGuru posted:

I saw this film about 5 years ago but it was a much older film I would say in the 1960s or so. International film that may have been called 'fancier time, fancy time/happy time' I don't remember the rest. The main plot of the movie is following the actions of one man who keeps missing other supporting characters by a few moments in each scene. Eventually the main character ends up bumping into the other characters at the end, and each scene where he just missed them adds up into one entire story.

This may have taken place in France. The buildings were very modern, silver. And there is a scene where a new hot restaurant opens up at the end. All of the characters we have seen before are here, then all hell breaks loose. If I remember correctly there is hardly any dialog for most of the film.

Play Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062136/

f,b

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

A French film with Pierre Richard where he glued his property to avoid confiscation, anyone remembers it? I'm looking at his film list but don't even know where to start.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Yeah that's the film, Playtime. Awesome!!! :toot:

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its almost certainly not the movie you are talking about, but Red Planet has a very similar plot including the stuff with the algae.

Yeah, it's not this at all. Not remotely like that film which came out 20 years later.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

Ruall the Rebater posted:

[quote="From Earth"]

This could easily be Sleepy Hollow, especially if there was anything having to do with horsemen. (Jonny Dep stared in it)

Sounds like Storm of the Century.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135659/

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

PonchtheJedi posted:

Sounds like Storm of the Century.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135659/

I know, wheatpuppy answered it ten days ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My roommate is trying to track down a movie she saw years ago. It is about a woman who is having trouble getting pregnant, but she is obsessed with trying because of a past miscarriage. She blames her husband for them not being able to conceive and has an affair with their neighbor, who then murders the husband. The movie ends with a shot of a table covered in positive pregnancy tests.

My roommate thinks this film was made in the 90s.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

From Earth posted:

I know, wheatpuppy answered it ten days ago.

Somehow I missed that. My mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

Makarov_ posted:

Here's one I've been wondering about for years:

I saw the film, I believe in the early 1980s, almost certainly on PBS. It had that made for TV/PBS/BBC look to it. I believe the actors/accents were American and not British, but I can't say for certain. I don't recall the special effects being horrible, so it was likely made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s.

Plot: Scientists have investigated the planet Venus, and after debate decide on a plan to terraform it. They deploy satellites that drop algae into the upper atmosphere. The theory is the algae will consume carbon dioxide and convert it to oxygen, reducing the greenhouse effect and eventually making the planet habitable.

Ending: The plan is successful, but scientists landing on Venus discover that there was some form of indigenous life form that they have inadvertently wiped out.

I've read a lot of discussions, even forum threads, on terraforming generally and Venus, but I've been unable to find the name of this film. I've come across several other individuals who recall the same basic plot elements and also can't recall it's name.

I'd like to second this request: I remember watching it in middle school science class (around 1999/2000 or so?) and IIRC the very last line was "They were intelligent" spoken by the male voiceover narrator. The accents were definitely American, it wasn't full movie-length, and I guess it was officially released on VHS if we were watching it in school. (I don't think a public school would be allowed to show something they just recorded off of PBS.)

Searching on Google it seems that there are a ton of people who remember this film, but none of them know the name. How strange.