Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

AFAIK Interplay still own the license so they would have to wrestle it out of their hands. Volition are under THQ's thumb so it wouldn't happen under their roof. Plus most of the people who were the driving forces behind Freespace have moved on.

I'd like to see a bunch of them all start a new studio with the express purpose of making FS3 happen via Kickstarter. I don't even want to guess how much money I would sink into it.

Yeah, unless someone bought the license and didn't tell anyone, it's still owned by Interplay. I still remember the batshit uproar a few years ago when Interplay was doing their IP firewall and Derek loving Smart ruminated publicly about picking up the Freespace license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan So this was just posted to Joystiq. It looks fun as long as the protagonist stops whining and crying every once and a while.

This looks cool, but I think at $500K it's an uphill battle. Ryan Payton's not really a "name" creator, for all his experience in the industry, and a lot of the core gamer audience is going to dismiss it due to the platform.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

We need the surviving members of Microprose to come out of cold storage and do a 4x. Give me Master of Magic 2, or Master of Orion 3-2.

Or a new one that is neither space or fantasy and is instead set underwater.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FoneBone posted:

This looks cool, but I think at $500K it's an uphill battle. Ryan Payton's not really a "name" creator, for all his experience in the industry, and a lot of the core gamer audience is going to dismiss it due to the platform.

That's pretty much my reason for dismissing it. My reaction was: awesome, awesome, awesome. Oh... iOS.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

FoneBone posted:

Yeah, if that was on the PC I'd be all over it. It seems a shame to stick that on a tiny phone screen.

Or if I had an iPad I suppose.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

AFAIK Interplay still own the license so they would have to wrestle it out of their hands. Volition are under THQ's thumb so it wouldn't happen under their roof. Plus most of the people who were the driving forces behind Freespace have moved on.

I'd like to see a bunch of them all start a new studio with the express purpose of making FS3 happen via Kickstarter. I don't even want to guess how much money I would sink into it.

I think half the Freespace team is still there, actually. If you ignore QA at least.

It's amusing to look at this and see the number of folks from QA that became lead designers - James Tsai was on SR1/2, Anoop is the studio design manager, Alvan was a lead designer on a cancelled project and is at Vigil now (or might not be with the layoff two weeks ago)

Allender left about 2 weeks ago.

Lead Design Adam Pletcher
Design Dave Baranec, Jason Scott,
Based on an Original Design by Adam Pletcher
Lead Programming Dave Baranec
Programming Dave Andsager, Jeff Farris, Neil Kumar
Additional Programming Alan Lawrance, John Slagel
Lead Artist Jasen Whiteside
Real‑Time Artists John Enricco, David Gulisano, Matthew Kresge
Cutscene Artists Kelly Snapka, Matt Flegel
Level / Scenario Design James Agay, Brad Johnson, Chad Nicholas, Jordan Roc, Jim Boone
Music Lee Carus-Wescott, Dan Wentz
Sound Lee Carus-Wescott, Dan Wentz
Executive Producer Michael Kulas
Project Manager Philip Holt
Writing / Dialogue / Story Michael Breault, Jason Scott
Support Dawn Dvorak, Ginny Gee, Misty Goodman, Markus R. Muller (Mark is THQ's head of IT or something though)
Quality Assurance Test Lead Anoop Shekar
Playtesting Solrazor , Colin Czerneda, Mike Diedrich, Ed Finkler, Paul Griffin, Heiko Herrmann, Todd Miller, Hideki Minowa, Tane Piper
Quality Assurance Alan Bautista, Darrell Jones, Eric Keyser, Nicolaus Malnick, Andrew McIntosh, Alvan Monje, James Tsai
Acting / Voiceovers Denton Brown, Dave Butler, Kay Holley, Nicholas Lee, Barbara Ridenour, William Ridenour, Tim Schroeder,
Jason Scott
Web Design and Development & squadwar.com Nathan Camarillo
Manual Michael Breault
Parallax Online Dave Baranec, Mark Allender, Kevin Bentley
FRED2 Documentation Peter Drake
Special Thanks Harold Kim, Erik Hernandez, John Palmero, Michael Motoda, Scott Lee, Dawn Dvorak, Amy Dalton

Literally everyone still there is a project or studio lead except for one person.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Actually, all the talk about the voice-controlled one makes me wonder if current voice com tech that they're putting onto phones these days couldn't make a working version of that. It's an attractive concept, interacting directly with a game character like that...

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

mutata posted:

Actually, all the talk about the voice-controlled one makes me wonder if current voice com tech that they're putting onto phones these days couldn't make a working version of that. It's an attractive concept, interacting directly with a game character like that...

I don't think it'd be fast enough. Siri works by sending all the voice recordings to Apple to interpret.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Seems a bit silly to dismiss a game because it's on one of the largest and fastest growing mobile platforms. The iPad has sold 33% as much as the entire Nintendo DS line has in nearly 8 years.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Seems a bit silly to dismiss a game because it's on one of the largest and fastest growing mobile platforms. The iPad has sold 33% as much as the entire Nintendo DS line has in nearly 8 years.

I think it's more the type of game in relation to the platform as opposed to the platform itself. Hardcore gamers don't want hardcore games on a mobile platform. Casual gamers don't want hardcore games on a mobile platform.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mutata posted:

I think it's more the type of game in relation to the platform as opposed to the platform itself. Hardcore gamers don't want hardcore games on a mobile platform. Casual gamers don't want hardcore games on a mobile platform.

I know the sentiment you're expressing, and I agree with it, but personally speaking I really hate the concept of "hardcore" and "casual" gamers. It implies a division that doesn't really exist.

People don't like complicated games on platforms that are ill-suited to complicated controls. I personally don't think they really give a gently caress about genre or "accessibility", as long as it's easy to control, and fun, on the platform provided, people who consume video games wouldn't give a poo poo if it's a CRPG or a bejeweled reskin.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

mutata posted:

What kind of game would you classify Infinity Blade as?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Casual and repetitive.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

What kind of game would you classify Infinity Blade as?

An exception. They didn't have to crowdsource the funding for their leap of faith, though. (And they have a whole studio full of really, really awesome guys.)

Good points to counter mine, though. I think my main point was it's a game who's look and feel appeals to the console crowd but it isn't for consoles so the market it seems to be most appealing to is going to write it off.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

mutata posted:

An exception. They didn't have to crowdsource the funding for their leap of faith, though. (And they have a whole studio full of really, really awesome guys.)

Good points to counter mine, though. I think my main point was it's a game who's look and feel appeals to the console crowd but it isn't for consoles so the market it seems to be most appealing to is going to write it off.

I don't know about that. I have a hard time believing that someone who owns a console and an iPhone (which is a huge percentage of gamers) is going to look at that and say "wow that looks great, but I wouldn't want to play it on my phone".

If that's the case, then the iPhone gaming industry is in serious trouble.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't know about that. I have a hard time believing that someone who owns a console and an iPhone (which is a huge percentage of gamers) is going to look at that and say "wow that looks great, but I wouldn't want to play it on my phone".

If that's the case, then the iPhone gaming industry is in serious trouble.

But they're probably more likely to say "I'd rather play that on my huge-rear end TV with a real controller.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

mutata posted:

Well for a fully 3D game with professional sound mixing and mo-cap, I can see the budget inflating to that degree. The XBLA games that Double Fine did were a couple mil, but they have many more people to pay too.

Oh, sure. Its production values are clearly up there. I'm just shocked to see a budget that tall, for a mobile game. Mostly because I didn't think the platform would grow/evolve that fast. Maybe different on the iPad, but I still have a bit of a time considering the iPhone to be a place for core gaming experiences, since controls can still be a little manky and it's a lot easier to get interrupted by, say, a phone call.

I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

MaverickEX posted:

Oh, sure. Its production values are clearly up there. I'm just shocked to see a budget that tall, for a mobile game. Mostly because I didn't think the platform would grow/evolve that fast. Maybe different on the iPad, but I still have a bit of a time considering the iPhone to be a place for core gaming experiences, since controls can still be a little manky and it's a lot easier to get interrupted by, say, a phone call.

No, they're all factors that need to be considered. The iPad has had a huge rate of adoption and app store growth. It's a bit different on the iPad since you can't get interrupted by calls, but it's still a mobile device and you need to factor that in.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

MaverickEX posted:

Take a look at the production values of Chaos Rings II. I have to imagine that game cost about a million at least. And of course the aforementioned Infinity Blade.

Of course now you're highlighting the biggest problem with having AAA games on the iPhone, is that people won't pay the price necessary to fund these games, so they're rarely made. But that's more for the IOS thread.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This sounds nifty but I don't have an iPad or iPhone. I'm part of the problem I guess. :shobon:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I had that kind of device, I'd care to back it. I'll just stick to the Battlezone-esque game and the other 10 or so projects I've backed so far.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Phoix posted:

I'm really curious to know if the Yogscast guys actually got confirmation from Steam already or if they're just assuming they'll be able to make it on.

Bit late on this, but since nobody else fielded this one: I'd be extremely surprised if they'd got confirmation by now. Valve require a finished product or at least aplayable demo in pretty finished condition before they even consider accepting your application (or for that matter opening up the Steamworks API to you), so if they already have a publishing deal based on some concept art and ideas, someone's made a BIG exception.

Of course if your game is interesting, fun and decently stable, and not something you just knocked up in RPG Maker, you have a good chance of getting on Steam, so it's not a huge stretch for the more established studios to promise Steam codes in advance.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Can RPG Maker games even get on steam? How would you integrate the steam API?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

FoneBone posted:

I love how their pitch is "they said our ambitions were too big so we decided to do iOS. By the way, the game will require $500,000 and will feature a kind of AI no video game has ever done well in the history of video games" I'd like to see what their ambitious idea was.

QUICK NERD BOTTLE
Mar 19, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MaverickEX posted:

Whale Tail or whatever it's called looks like it was made by a talent solo guy (or could have been) but cost like 200k because some company took a handful of employees and set them on it full time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Can RPG Maker games even get on steam? How would you integrate the steam API?

They cannot. RPG Maker, Game Maker and some other similar things won't get accepted. That was the problem with that To The Moon game, as I recall. People kept asking for the guy to put it on Steam and he kept explaining Valve wouldn't accept it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

They cannot. RPG Maker, Game Maker and some other similar things won't get accepted. That was the problem with that To The Moon game, as I recall. People kept asking for the guy to put it on Steam and he kept explaining Valve wouldn't accept it.

Jrpgs made in XNA that look exactly like RPG Maker games are accepted, though. (Cthulhu Saves The World)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Megazver posted:

Jrpgs made in XNA that look exactly like RPG Maker games are accepted, though. (Cthulhu Saves The World)

It's not a question of looks. XNA uses native C# (which is a proper programming language (and incidentally my favourite language)) and hooking up the C++ Steamworks API is a piece of piss. It's also fully featured and secure. Game Maker and RPG Maker use some kind of proprietary, vaguely Python-esque language.

EDIT: Since a lot of this may not make any drat sense if you're not a programmer...

XNA isn't really game making software or anything like that. It's a collection of API functions for XNA, which make things like moving and scaling sprites or 3D objects easier than they would be natively. Additionally it ships with a version of Visual Studio, which is Microsoft's excellent development enviroment, or basically a REALLY smart text editor with attached widgets and things for stuff like importing assets into your project and debugging your software line by line.

So really XNA is a great tool which makes coding and porting C# games across various supported platforms a piece of cake. I love it to bits even if we work in Unity mostly these days.

And an API is basically a collection of functions you can call for various things. Like Steam might have (completely out of my sleeve) a ShowFriendList() method, which you can call to just automatically bring up the Steam overlay and show the user's friend list. Without an API you'd have to call it all yourself.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Giant rear end interview with Al Lowe about the LSL Kickstarter.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

NINbuntu 64 posted:

No, they're all factors that need to be considered. The iPad has had a huge rate of adoption and app store growth. It's a bit different on the iPad since you can't get interrupted by calls, but it's still a mobile device and you need to factor that in.
Sure. Personally I think the iPad has a far greater chance of being taken seriously as a gaming device by the simple virtue that people don't have to drain the batteries or get pulled out of their game by taking phone calls.

theblackw0lf posted:

Take a look at the production values of Chaos Rings II. I have to imagine that game cost about a million at least. And of course the aforementioned Infinity Blade.

Of course now you're highlighting the biggest problem with having AAA games on the iPhone, is that people won't pay the price necessary to fund these games, so they're rarely made. But that's more for the IOS thread.
I think if people start seeing good ROIs on a high budget iOS game, then you'll see more of them, but I think there is (by necessity) too much platform diversification for anybody to say "Yes, we threw a million bucks at a pure iOS game and made serious bank, so everyone should do it."

Cost is spread across several platforms so getting a real good gauge of things is tough, and no one wants to take the risk.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Piece of piss" means something is easy?!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yes. It really is quite simple, too. We just looked into it a few months ago while planning a game which was SUPPOSED to go up on Steam but eventually died in the prototyping phase :( That's why I'm suddenly quite up to date on Valve's approval process.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, it's the equivalent of "piece of cake".

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Mojo Jojo posted:

We need the surviving members of Microprose to come out of cold storage and do a 4x. Give me Master of Magic 2, or Master of Orion 3-2.

Or a new one that is neither space or fantasy and is instead set underwater.

SimTex made all those, Microprose was just the publisher. I remember hearing at one point the studio broke up because the owner was just obsessed with strip clubs and blew all their money there. I assume that means there's probably bad blood between the team.

It's too bad because it'd be amazing for them to buy the MoM, MOO, and Mechlords licenses to make modern versions. Hell, Mech Lords / Metal Lords never even got published due to the threatened FASA lawsuit.

It really is mindblowing how much valuable, classic IP the major publishers have on the shelf from the 90s and 80s. The acquisition sprees and subsequent shutdowns of studios in the late 90s and early 2000s killed off so many franchises, I'd estimate that there's 10-20 franchises that are potentially 100,000+ copies and $5-10 million gross games on their shelves. At the very least, they should have sold off the IP they didn't want.

The worst part is the strategy, adventure, and space / flight sim genres ought to be fairly cheap to make games in. A few million dollar budget is no problem if you don't need a ton of "name" voice actors, cinematics, and top tier graphics. The major publishers appear to be totally uninterested in developing games with budgets under $10 million. I bet they only want to make games that will sell a half million copies or more.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 10, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
This is us: http://gravitazgame.com

We'd love any feedback you've got.

Also... Master of Magic 2, man, now that would be awesome. But,

El_Matarife posted:

SimTex made all those, Microprose was just the publisher. I remember hearing at one point the studio broke up because the owner was just obsessed with strip clubs and blew all their money there. I assume that means there's probably bad blood between the team.
Even if you could bring them back together, odds are good that most have long since fizzled out of the industry. Part of the reason the recent "old dev goes back to his roots" games look interesting is because the developers have, by and large, kept in the game. It isn't like they've fallen out and gotten rusty, they've just gotten stuck in funding hell and been working on less exciting titles.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can someone make a Republique thread? That's a game that deserves its own thread, it's got some great reward tiers and the trailer was pretty.

Ed: I'll do it if nobody else wants to.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

El_Matarife posted:

It really is mindblowing how much valuable, classic IP the major publishers have on the shelf from the 90s and 80s. The acquisition sprees and subsequent shutdowns of studios in the late 90s and early 2000s killed off so many franchises, I'd estimate that there's 10-20 franchises that are potentially 100,000+ copies and $5-10 million gross games on their shelves....The worst part is the strategy, adventure, and space / flight sim genres ought to be fairly cheap to make games in.
In the Wasteland 2 thread, people have occasionally talked about some of the other old franchises/genres they would pay infinite dollars to see brought back in the modern era--I bet you are underestimating, if anything. And even within a genre that was clearly underserved and rejuvenated like Kickstarter, like adventure games, it is obvious from the decent success of Leisure Suit Larry that there is a market for specific games from forgotten genres--and the Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Al Lowe and the other main Leisure Suit Larry reboot guy makes it clear that they want to bring back Space Quest and King's Quest too, both of which would likely be even bigger than Leisure Suit Larry. And this is just one of many forgotten genres, as you mentioned, as things like space/flight simulators and turn-based strategy games have similarly fallen off a cliff that they could probably be brought back from.

I feel pretty privileged that the single game I would have unquestionably been most excited to see brought back is Wasteland, so, you know, I reached peak excitement right out of the gate. But there are so many amazing games from the 1980s and 1990s that stand out and whose designers would probably jump at the chance to bring them back if they could. Or at least I hope this is the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

As I recall, they're not denied outright, just that some versions don't play nice with the steam overlay and other steam stuff, so they can't be added. I think the most recent Game Maker version is accepted.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shalinor posted:

This is us: http://gravitazgame.com

We'd love any feedback you've got.

Your pitch video isn't that great. It's nice that you show off a lot of in-game assets and concept art, but the whole like "let's talk about our individual histories and how we broke into the Gaming Industry" section is both offtopic and kind of boring, and the "games can change how people can view political/social events" line is really really silly from its faux-seriousness. I mean...it's a racing game, not Citizen Kane: The Videogame.

I don't really get a sense of passion and drive, and the video meanders from its main point, which is a pitch for the videogame, so...yeah. Hard to get excited to back just from watching the video. I don't feel a personal connection to the project from watching the vid. Also, the viewing angle of the camera is awkward.

On the other hand, your game's writeup is great. Wouldn't change a thing. Lots of images (beautiful concept art, in particular), a realistic set of goals, and it's very descriptive of where the money will go. It's very well-organized and presented well. One thing-might want to bold/emphasize Steam support. It's kind of hard to find that yes, Gravitaz will be on Steam, and it WILL BE your number one question.

Your goal amount is great, it's very low which helps add legitimacy to the "we have everything beyond art assets done" statement in your writeup.

Your reward tiers are fine, although unremarkable. You might want to include one or two higher tiers of rewards, 1k is a little low (although your goal total is low as well, so I dunno). Also, you should probably include a 5 dollar reward tier of like, a desktop wallpaper.

But yeah, overall I'd say it's a "pretty good" pitch. Your pitch vid is really the only thing holding you back.

Have you considered making a thread for your kickstarter and/or stickying it? It might help you reach your funding goal, Shalinor.

Also, if it's not too much to ask could we get a Kickstarter/Crowdsourcing thread tag? I'm really into the whole kickstarter scene (as are most in the thread), and being able to use it to be able to screen Games in general for new project pitches and/or warn off the Games public from entering and threadshitting (like what happened in the Shadowrun thread) would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Occupation posted:

Your pitch video isn't that great. It's nice that you show off a lot of in-game assets and concept art, but the whole like "let's talk about our individual histories and how we broke into the Gaming Industry" section is both offtopic and kind of boring, and the "games can change how people can view political/social events" line is really really silly from its faux-seriousness. I mean...it's a racing game, not Citizen Kane: The Videogame.

That line is extra silly because the game is called "Gravitaz". Like "gravitas" but more extreme. Extreme gravitas. Or maybe "gravity" + "taz" from loony tunes. Whatever the intention, it's not a name that you invoke when trying to influence politico-social events.