Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tulip posted:

Seriously they are way more dedicated to Humakt and Urox than you are and this is motherfucking disastrous for you if you get into a fight. They are the least likely to pick a fight and the most likely to win it. For the love of god their Uroxi berserkers are literally bull-men.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware being a giant coward was an Orlanthi virtue. :smug:

edit: I said to sacrifice to an unholy god of plague and pestilence and raid some waterfowl, and what do people have a problem with?

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Someone good at every skill.
Seven different gods.
Roughly even male/female split.
Your clan patron represented as the chieftain.

Of course it can be hard to fulfill all of those. I get absolutely swamped with Barntar and Chalanna Arroy worshippers (my kingdom for a Humakti!) and quite often find that the best leaders don't worship my patron deity.

Also if one of your clan members turns out to to be a lunatic with a one-track mind (ELVEEEEEES!) get rid of them. Also get rid of passive, neutral folk who always say "Whatever the rest of you decide" when something comes up.

And of course a trickster always goes on the ring, for comedy value as well as their many tangible benefits.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I just picked this game up again and am getting back into it after playing years ago on the PC. I never got very far or understood the systems on any real level then, but I'm trying to play one clan and stick with it rather than re-do things a billion times like back in the day. Anyway, right now my clan seems to be constantly starving, no matter what I do. Adjusting the pasture/farmland slider doesn't seem to get me close to enough food. I suppose I could bug my allies for food, but I'm currently in pretty bad food debt - I need ~400 food to feed my population. I'm also not sure that I could make that food up in raids, especially if I limit myself to raiding during non-agricultural seasons. Is slaughtering a huge portion of my herds the only solution? I don't wanna just kill like, 200 cows. Is there anything long term I should be doing to avoid getting into situations like this in the first place? I've seized a ton of land, and already split off another clan once.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
You might be running short on farmers, try sending your best bargainer on trade runs for food to bridge the gap and recruit more farmers aggressively. Alternatively if you're a slave-taking clan you can always try to raid for captives.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

andrew smash posted:

You might be running short on farmers, try sending your best bargainer on trade runs for food to bridge the gap and recruit more farmers aggressively. Alternatively if you're a slave-taking clan you can always try to raid for captives.

Hell yeah we be thrallin'.

So the added population from farmers and thralls won't outpace the food they produce? I already have close to 200 thralls, but I could always add more! Raiding for captives then is probably more productive than raiding for food? I hadn't tried trade, and I can just keep recruiting farmers if I have to. That'll give me something productive to do every season, maybe a year or so of hunkering down and focusing on food will get us through it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sometimes you have bad years and just need to call in favors from other clans for food. Raiding for plunder when you're low on food tends to get you a lot of loving food. Also, this sort of situation is precisely what pigs and sheep were made for.

Your thralls and farmers should be outpacing their food consumption by a lot, if they aren't you're just having a poo poo year. 200 thralls is insane though, i've never had more than like 50 before somebody else came in and stole them.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

Adjusting the pasture/farmland slider doesn't seem to get me close to enough food.

You are tearing down forest, right, rather than just adjusting between farmland and pasture? Forest is useless. The vast majority of your land should be razed for agriculture. It'll make the elves and talking foxes play up, but better that than mass starvation.

What's your annual crop yield? Forecasted, not what you actually get. And how many farmers do you have, and how much overall population?

I always just jack up my cropland, get a bunch of messages about how THE FARMERS ARE OVERWORKED, WAAAH, keep recruiting more (but keep my pop below 1100 or so) and - when I've got the resources - build temples to Barntar and Ernalda.

quote:

I've seized a ton of land, and already split off another clan once.

Do you mean some of your own clan split away? You have to avoid getting too big, the game doesn't like it. I find it usually happens between 1100 and 1200 population. Getting the harvest right is by far the most difficult early hurdle in the game for new players, but once you figure it out it's easy. I usually manage to get a massive grain stockpile within the first 5-10 years of gametime.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

freebooter posted:

You are tearing down forest, right, rather than just adjusting between farmland and pasture? Forest is useless. The vast majority of your land should be razed for agriculture. It'll make the elves and talking foxes play up, but better that than mass starvation.

What's your annual crop yield? Forecasted, not what you actually get. And how many farmers do you have, and how much overall population?

I always just jack up my cropland, get a bunch of messages about how THE FARMERS ARE OVERWORKED, WAAAH, keep recruiting more (but keep my pop below 1100 or so) and - when I've got the resources - build temples to Barntar and Ernalda.

honestly i've always felt like the MASSIVE DEFORESTATION strategy was not a very good one. Forest isn't useless - pigs need forests, and i've lost temples because of lack of pigs. Plus that's where hunters go, and hunters do provide net food and increase the overall fighting ability of your forces. And probably most importantly, overworked farmers is a pretty serious threat to your entire clan and should be avoided. A miserable clan where you spend all your time trying to get more and more farmers to try to use up your huge amounts of cleared land is imo a worse clan to work with than one where you have fewer people.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yeah there's no point in clearing a bunch of land, you just need enough farmers / shrines to work 120 or so hides of cropland, and double whatever your Barntar/Uralda Animals expert says you need in pastures. And hunters are important in the iOS version, at least - they double as patrols, and are considerably better than regular carls in battle. The food they provide is just lagniappe. They are great! I've never understood the hatred for hunters in the LP or in here.

My unerring recipe for success is to establish four or five trade routes, then use the goods to set up enough shrines and temples to have a steady surplus of food and then whatever you want. I go Humakt if I'm a war clan or Ernalda if I'm peace. You can do either, or both! With one or two neighboring allies, you should be able to set up a bunch of shrines and a couple big temples.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tulip posted:

honestly i've always felt like the MASSIVE DEFORESTATION strategy was not a very good one.

Pffft. Thought this was the wild frontier, no some elf hippie love-in.

I know forest and hunters have benefits, I just personally don't think they outweigh the advantage of total food security. I'm not happy unless I have a stockpile of 3000+ (although arguably that's exploiting a glitch, which for all I know is gone in the ios). And it's not like a cut down all the forest. Just most of it. (Also critical is claiming "much more land than you probably need" in the opener. Future economic growth, people!)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I'm playing a war clan and I have 113 weaponthanes. I know it's all going to fall over eventually, but for the moment it's great fun. Someone unhappy about something? Go on a raid! Poor harvest because you raided in Earth? Raid again!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

freebooter posted:

Pffft. Thought this was the wild frontier, no some elf hippie love-in.

I know forest and hunters have benefits, I just personally don't think they outweigh the advantage of total food security. I'm not happy unless I have a stockpile of 3000+ (although arguably that's exploiting a glitch, which for all I know is gone in the ios). And it's not like a cut down all the forest. Just most of it. (Also critical is claiming "much more land than you probably need" in the opener. Future economic growth, people!)

Hunters are good for food security tbh. Hunters always bring in two food for every one they consume, in good seasons and bad.

Claiming more land than you need is imho the worst possible choice you can make in clan making, save possibly choosing beasts as your ancient enemy or being super chummy with dragons. The vulnerability to raiding and increased discontent from carls means you're increasing the damage from the two worst early game scourges. By the time you're beefy enough for large tracts of land being anything other than a big target on your forehead, you can easily seize neighboring tulas. Also it kind of runs counter to your strategy - the best reason to claim huge amounts of land is to have a high percentage of hunters.

If you haven't tried a hunter-centered start, it's worth giving a shot. Huge land claims, beeline for any of the skirmish related blessings (as opposed to Truesword, aka the best blessing for lots of thanes), and choose skirmish for combat whenever possible. In my experience this creates a much more combat-capable clan in the first couple years than trying to get lots of weapon thanes and has a number of benefits, not least of which being that it's exceptionally good against horse tribes.

Sanford posted:

I'm playing a war clan and I have 113 weaponthanes. I know it's all going to fall over eventually, but for the moment it's great fun. Someone unhappy about something? Go on a raid! Poor harvest because you raided in Earth? Raid again!

Ok this is funny as poo poo you must be spending like 50 goods a month appeasing your carls

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What badness does sharing in dragon knowledge bring on you?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

andrew smash posted:

What badness does sharing in dragon knowledge bring on you?

I think i just have terrible luck - every time i'm friendly to dragons they go "cool story bro" and gently caress me up

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Tulip posted:

I think i just have terrible luck - every time i'm friendly to dragons they go "cool story bro" and gently caress me up

Yeah, you have bad luck, I've been a dragonbro a few times and it is pretty fun. You can ask the Black Wyrm to leave your friends alone and he'll just go away for a couple cows if you have a history of being nice to dragons (both your ancestors AND in the game tho!). And the dragonnewts will come and ask for a poet, AND bring him back without eating him!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

How'd you get your numbers that high? Sending them on a search somewhere, recruiting a shitton more, rinse and repeat?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pretty much. Then raid a lot, gift a lot, feast a lot, and raid some more. Always choosing the raid option on random events (when available) seems to keep everyone happy, and having a couple of thousand cows doesn't hurt. Although, in the past couple of years I am getting raided all the time even with only two fueds and lots of friends, so I guess that's how the game punishes you for this kind of nonsense.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

One thing I've always wondered, is it even possible to win from the Minotaurs?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I know it isn't possible to win against the big raider guy who comes along. In one game I covered my tula in traps and he sidestepped us but in my latest I was the loving King of weaponthanes and I decided to oppose him head on with my army. My force of 250 footmen and 56 weaponthanes were slaughtered to a man with no real losses to the enemy.

I eventually recovered but holy poo poo.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Davincie posted:

One thing I've always wondered, is it even possible to win from the Minotaurs?

No, you can't win the Beastman/Dragonnewt/Troll Apocalypse events. You can, however, beat your tribe when they ask you to renounce the throne! My Humakti king did that recently, 3 to 1 odds. He smashed the crap out of them and they all knelt in humility. :D

Edit: Oh, unless you're talking about the event where minotaurs kidnap your explorers. I assume its POSSIBLE to come out of that with your people freed, but it seems super hard. Last time, I managed to grab some minotaur hostages, but they escaped when the team tried to make it home. They're too drat strong!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How do you avoid apocalpyses?

I suffered the Beastman apocalypse because I pissed off the ducks and took the emissaries hostage. Fair enough, that's easy to understand.

But recently, I suffered a dragon/wyrm apocalypse for seemingly no reason. I never fought wyrmlings, never took any treasures from them, hell I never even encountered them in any events save for the delegations telling me not to entangle them in my doings, which I didn't give any response to the first time and agreed not to involve them the second time.

Then, they just came and destroyed my whole tribe in a seemingly unavoidable event. What am I supposed to do?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
You really do have to constantly act like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat to suffer a clan-destroying event. Your experience as described sounds like a bug more than anything. Send an email or tweet to the developers reporting your experience... if it is a bug they should hear about it.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know everyone is doing Kickstarters left and right now but David Dunham needs to do one for KODP 2.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've been beating the poo poo out of my neighbors (causing a lot of them to pack up and move, letting me annex parts of their tula), but it was really taking a toll on me getting raided in retaliation all the time. I successfully did a quest to raise my clan's perception and BAM, now everyone's neutral again.

What is with the constant loving bandit attacks? It seems like I can't send out a single emissary mission without them getting waylaid by bandits (doesn't matter the season).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've been beating the poo poo out of my neighbors (causing a lot of them to pack up and move, letting me annex parts of their tula), but it was really taking a toll on me getting raided in retaliation all the time. I successfully did a quest to raise my clan's perception and BAM, now everyone's neutral again.

What is with the constant loving bandit attacks? It seems like I can't send out a single emissary mission without them getting waylaid by bandits (doesn't matter the season).

I've read that if you explore your own tula there's a chance you can uncover the bandit's lair and kill them. Other than that, just send a large number of warriors with your missions and bandits will leave you alone.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've tried and tried and tried, but I cannot for the life of me find the dwarven mountain. Where is it exactly? And is it ever possible to get in touch with anyone in the Beastman lands that does not want to kill me outright, besides the ducks?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It's north/NE of Kero Fin in the same mountain range, you've found it when you get a message about an abandoned mine and a prompt to go nose around in it.

It's possible to get neutral/positive outcomes from Beastman trips but it's never worth the trouble, and they don't do anything interesting but gently caress your poo poo up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Karpaw posted:

I know everyone is doing Kickstarters left and right now but David Dunham needs to do one for KODP 2.

He got hired by some wargaming company, maybe he already is making it in secret!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's north/NE of Kero Fin in the same mountain range, you've found it when you get a message about an abandoned mine and a prompt to go nose around in it.

It's possible to get neutral/positive outcomes from Beastman trips but it's never worth the trouble, and they don't do anything interesting but gently caress your poo poo up.

Would that be above the text of Dragonnewt lands, or below it, just nearby to Kero Fin?

Edit: vvvv No wonder I kept screwing up, I was searching just south of there and kept triggering the lands west of it.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 8, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Above and to the east(?).

E: here, it's right here

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 8, 2012

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011
Ok, so my naive strategy of continually growing my population to build bigger and more shrines didn't work out so well. So how many shrines can I reasonably expect to build, and what are the most useful ones?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cemaphonic posted:

Ok, so my naive strategy of continually growing my population to build bigger and more shrines didn't work out so well. So how many shrines can I reasonably expect to build, and what are the most useful ones?

Barntar, Issaires and Chalana Arroy are the must haves in my opinion. After that you can go for a decent mix depending on the type of clan. A temple to Orlanth is regarded as a must have because he's your main deity and not having one is a prestige loss. If he's also your main deity you should make it a greater. I like to go Humakt and Elmal as well because their war blessings are very powerful.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
There's something amazing about this game. Despite having won several times, and seen a decent amount of what it has to offer, there are moments I still feel profoundly touched by its events, and find new outcomes I hadn't been aware of.
Recently, two horse spawn warriors sought refuge in my clan. I let the chief sponsor them as guests, and they fought well for us for several seasons. Eventually, their comrades showed up, asking me to hand them over. I opted to try gift giving in order to stop their pursuit, and not only did they stop, but the warriors in question were so moved by my generosity that they asked to be initiated as Orlanthi.
I had no idea this particular outcome existed, and it moved me out of all proportion to what was really going on behind the scenes. I can't pay the game any higher complement than that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just came across the wolf-people apocalypse event (I was pretty ruthless in getting them off my turf when they were loving around, but it had been ages since my last encounter with them). I rolled the game back to the previous year for the first time because seriously, :wtc:, but if it happens again I'll eat it and restart. I've got my first tribe and have scant idea what I'm doing, but I don't want to lose all that progress.

Also those goddamn cheeky ducks quit paying tribute a while ago, and recently they snuck into my tula and burned a barn down. Do I have to really beat on them to trigger the beastman apocalypse, or would even a few raids bring down the thunder?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I've taken the ducks' land in that first event and never suffered a beastman apocalypse from it. But I seem to remember raiding them normally a few times and getting overrun some seasons after. I mean, there's a reason that people say the ducks ain't nothing to gently caress with, but there's a bit of fighting you can do with them before you bring down the beasts.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

cemaphonic posted:

Depends on how much conquoring you're doing. If you're waging two successful raids a year, you can generally build a minor shrine to everybody, and a few larger shrines to your moneymaking gods.

Also build a shrine to Vinga so women can fight alongside men on defense. Not only does this nearly double the size of your defensive army, it means that when the men are off raiding neighbors, if you're attacked you still have an entire army waiting in reserves, which is huge. It is a contender for best blessing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The thing that annoyed me most about shrines is near the end of my game, I ran out of sheep.

I think you can get some more sheep through raiding, but you can't trade for them. You can't do heroquests to get more of them. And they're the prime resource for shrine's sacrifices.

If you have a stockpile of goods (I always had something like 2000 sitting around), I think you end up using them instead of sheep. But it got to be a thing that I saw no recourse for dealing with, and was glad the game ended when it did.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The thing that annoyed me most about shrines is near the end of my game, I ran out of sheep.

I think you can get some more sheep through raiding, but you can't trade for them. You can't do heroquests to get more of them. And they're the prime resource for shrine's sacrifices.

If you have a stockpile of goods (I always had something like 2000 sitting around), I think you end up using them instead of sheep. But it got to be a thing that I saw no recourse for dealing with, and was glad the game ended when it did.

I'm not sure what was happening in your game, but I never have to worry about sheep. Rarely, an event will hurt their numbers a bit, but with the iOS version's abstracting them and pigs into the cattle value, you have more than enough. In the end, I'm easily able to support a great temple to Orlanth, and a fair number of temples and shrines to other gods.
What the hell were you doing with 2,000+ goods? I try to keep them down, because they do absolutely no good sitting in my stockpile. Gifts ahoy.

EXTREME BAKA
Mar 13, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was a bug that made sheep stop reproducing at some point in the game so eventually in the long game so you just loose sheep no matter what

Goods are also a good alternative for sacrifices and gifts when you're trying to keep your herds up. A big herd grows faster and is more stable than a small one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Honestly i'm kind of baffled when people come in here with huge surpluses of food/goods/people/cows/anything. If you have a ton of food you should be feasting, if you have a ton of goods you should be sacrificing/gifting. If you've run out of reasons to feast/sacrifice/gift how is the game not over yet. You don't need to be able to buy and sell every other clan in order to become king of dragon pass.

• Locked thread