Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

sanchez posted:

The hide from address list option in exchange management console (or users and computers if you're on 2003 still) works fine. The GAL can take a while to refresh on the server, then it can take a while longer for clients to download a fresh copy. Don't be surprised if the change takes a day or so to kick in.

Looks like I jumped the gun on that one. I tried this and it seems to be working, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fun times with outlook anywhere!

Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011), remote users connecting via Outlook anywhere are getting certificate mismatch popups constantly.

get-outlookprovider shows EXPR has no CertPrincipalName (it's blank). AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri shows remote.companyname.com, which is what our SSL cert is set to.

When I change the CertPrincipalName to msstd:remote.companyname.com, it gives me a new cert error and users can't connect at all.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Fun times with outlook anywhere!

Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011), remote users connecting via Outlook anywhere are getting certificate mismatch popups constantly.

get-outlookprovider shows EXPR has no CertPrincipalName (it's blank). AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri shows remote.companyname.com, which is what our SSL cert is set to.

When I change the CertPrincipalName to msstd:remote.companyname.com, it gives me a new cert error and users can't connect at all.

do you have a UCC or just a regular cert

you need the ucc to read like

internalservername.domain
internalservername
externalservername.externaldomain
autodiscover.externaldomain
and some other one

do the outlook anywhere test here
https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Regular single cert for remote.companyname.com.

Outlook anywhere test fails on SSL validation.

quote:

Host name companyname.com doesn't match any name found on the server certificate CN=remote.companyname.com.com, OU=vendornameSSL, OU=Domain Control Validated.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

you need to get a UCC

http://www.comodo.com/business-security/digital-certificates/unified-communications.php

you can also get from godaddy and a few others

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
The Godaddy (Wild West Domains/Starfield Tech) ones are solid and dirt cheap.

I get mine from certificatesforexchange.com - haven't seen cheaper yet.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If I understand correctly, you're recommending a UCC because outlook is using autodiscover.companyname.com (or alternatively just companyname.com), and I don't have a cert for those?
To be clear, OWA is working other than that annoying popup. Don't suppose I could utilize remote.company.com for the autodiscover process, or disable SSL on it? I've got pretty much every other external site running off remote.company.com

(Yes I know I should just get a new cert but boss is a massive cheapskate.)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

If I understand correctly, you're recommending a UCC because outlook is using autodiscover.companyname.com (or alternatively just companyname.com), and I don't have a cert for those?
To be clear, OWA is working other than that annoying popup. Don't suppose I could utilize remote.company.com for the autodiscover process, or disable SSL on it? I've got pretty much every other external site running off remote.company.com

(Yes I know I should just get a new cert but boss is a massive cheapskate.)

Create autodiscover SRV dns records for the domain 'company.com' that point to remote.company.com
Remove any universal resolvers for company.com (no *.company.com)
If you have an autodiscover.company.com domain, either delete it, or set it to redirect to remote.company.com
Poison your internal dns so remote.company.com resolves to the internal exchange address.

Get away with only a cert for remote.company.com, and no more outlook bitching.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

External DNS isn't hosted on the SBS box.

:ughh:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Create autodiscover SRV dns records for the domain 'company.com' that point to remote.company.com
Remove any universal resolvers for company.com (no *.company.com)
If you have an autodiscover.company.com domain, either delete it, or set it to redirect to remote.company.com
Poison your internal dns so remote.company.com resolves to the internal exchange address.

Get away with only a cert for remote.company.com, and no more outlook bitching.

but my best practices!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nevergirls posted:

but my best practices!

Yeah, that goes out the window when you have to have a month-long fight over $300 purchases.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
A UCC is $50.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bitch Stewie posted:

A UCC is $50.

A year, and I'm doing a 3 year minimum when I set this up. I'm glad you work somewhere sane, but unfortunately I don't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

External DNS isn't hosted on the SBS box.

:ughh:

This is going to gently caress over a poo poo ton of stuff with AD, and SBS2011 in particular. You are boned. If you can, give up and walk away, because nothing is ever going to work quite right unless AD and DNS are bound together in a windows domain.

Nevergirls posted:

but my best practices!

This actually is the current recommended practice. autodiscover.* is being retired, as SRV records offer a lot more flexibility. Maybe not the dns poisoning part, though if SBS2011 is the dns for the domain, it does the remote.company.com poisoning for you anyway.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EoRaptor posted:

This is going to gently caress over a poo poo ton of stuff with AD, and SBS2011 in particular. You are boned. If you can, give up and walk away, because nothing is ever going to work quite right unless AD and DNS are bound together in a windows domain.

PM'ing you about this.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

EoRaptor posted:

He said external DNS - not internal. Having external DNS hosted elsewhere is pretty common/just fine?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

EoRaptor posted:

Ummm, what? Is this a SBS thing? I have external DNS with one of our ISPs and all is running fine here. the only problem we have is the goddamn consultant set up our domain with a .com on the end insted of a .local or .corp or whatever so when they open *.com (no www) they go to our AD server.

All of my ADs are DNS servers as well.

What's it called? Split level or something like that? The term is escaping me right now.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Mierdaan posted:

He said external DNS - not internal. Having external DNS hosted elsewhere is pretty common/just fine?

I'm guessing he's confusing recursive external DNS with authoritative external DNS.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ok, good, that post had me really wigged out for a second. I didn't think there was anything wrong with out setup (other than the single cert BS).

Gonna see if our ISP supports autodiscover SRV records but doesn't look like it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 10, 2012

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Your autodiscover recors in your public facing external DNS is just an A record so any DNS provider will support that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ :argh:

It may not be your ISP if you are using a domain registrar. You would probably go contact Godaddy / Network Solutions / whoever you got your domain name through.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bitch Stewie posted:

Your autodiscover recors in your public facing external DNS is just an A record so any DNS provider will support that.

:psyduck:

When it's just an A record I get the SSL problem because it's looking for autodiscover.company.com to have an SSL cert.

I thought the point of doing the SRV record was I can tell external Outlook clients the autodiscover source is actually remote.company.com (which is what I have a SSL cert for).

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Crackbone posted:

A year, and I'm doing a 3 year minimum when I set this up. I'm glad you work somewhere sane, but unfortunately I don't.

The trick is to not mention the sub-optimal solution in this case to anyone. It's either $150 for the UCC or deal with the annoying popup. Hacked BS would never exist if techs didn't make the mistake of mentioning it to the people with the money.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's working. Contacted our external DNS provider, and they don't support actual autodiscover srv records. But they recommended setting up a wildcard SRV record, which worked just fine. We don't need any other external SRV records (and don't see needing any in the near future), so it looks like this is cleaned up at least in the short term. Not perfect but no more popups and no fighting over $$$.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

To clarify: Clients on the internal network should use the SBS2011 machine for all DNS requests. SBS2011 should be set to use external forwarders for any domain names it doesn't know.

The domain can use any external Name Server for providing it's records to the internet at large.

You can use this to create an internal record for remote.company.com that points to your internal ip for the SBS2011 box, and use the Name Server to create a record for remote.company.com pointing to the external IP for the SBS2011 box. You'll need to pass port 443 to the SBS2011 box through your firewall.

In fact, SBS2011 does this by default. When you did the setup wizard, the external name it suggested (remote.company.com) is setup so SBS2011 will return its own internal address for the domain name, and anybody outside the company (or not using the SBS2011 DNS server) will see your external IP address.

A SRV record is pretty straight forward. I'm surprised your Name Server Provider doesn't support it.

This website: http://www.thirdtier.net/2011/06/setting-up-autodiscover-for-sbs-2011/ was the most helpful when I set mine up.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EoRaptor posted:

A SRV record is pretty straight forward. I'm surprised your Name Server Provider doesn't support it.

They support SRV records, but their system has a web-based editor we use to manage the entries. Whatever software they use doesn't have autodiscover as an available protocol to use from the drop-down box when defining the record.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

They support SRV records, but their system has a web-based editor we use to manage the entries. Whatever software they use doesn't have autodiscover as an available protocol to use from the drop-down box when defining the record.

Oh, just create a SRV record for _autodiscover._tcp.company.com with the following value '0 0 443 remote.company.com.'

It really isn't complex.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
So I need to renew our Exchange 2010 UCC cert for the first time.

If I follow this guide is anything going to bite me?

http://www.msexchangegeek.com/2011/12/20/how-to-renew-exchange-server-2010-certificates/

I'm familiar with renewing third-party certs, just haven't come across this issue of the CSR being binary encoded and don't want to risk any problems.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EoRaptor posted:

Oh, just create a SRV record for _autodiscover._tcp.company.com with the following value '0 0 443 remote.company.com.'

It really isn't complex.

The DNS managment software won't let you create a record like that - you have to choose from predefined protocols that they provide from a dropdown menu. It's not about being complex, I can't do it with the tools available.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Bitch Stewie posted:

http://www.msexchangegeek.com/2011/12/20/how-to-renew-exchange-server-2010-certificates/

I'm familiar with renewing third-party certs, just haven't come across this issue of the CSR being binary encoded and don't want to risk any problems.

Like that guide says, just don't remove the request from the server and you won't have any problems.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Bitch Stewie posted:

Using the EMC to generate the CSR is fine. It has some prompts about the items you want to include, and then generates a list based on how you respond. You can edit the list in the final window and issue the CSR.

As somebody who uses powershell for nearly everything, I still go to the EMC for generating and fulfilling CSRs.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
We seem to have frequent issues with people getting their profiles hosed up (which I acknowledge may not be Exchange-specific); we use roaming profiles that are stored in DFS and users are showing up unable to open Outlook 2007 via Citrix. Typically the message will be something about not being able to open the default folders.

The current workaround is to launch Citrix Desktop under the user's account, run outlook.exe with the /profiles option and create a new profile then set it as default. This typically fixes the problem. Our environment is mixed 2003/2008 (the domain is not 2008 native) and Exchange 2011. Any ideas?

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body
Hopefully this thread still has some life in it..

I'm finishing up an exchange migration (2003 -> 2010) and just switched OAB distribution to web-based. And I just realized something. I have no clue where I can actually view my OAB in Outlook.

It's being published in IIS, I can see it sitting in my "offline address books" folder on my system's hdd, I just have no idea where in outlook I would see the contents of it. There's nothing in my 'contacts' tab. Am I missing something stupid? I must be - even google thinks that's too stupid of a question to answer.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Then click the Address Book dropdown menu?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just started enforcing passwords on all activesync mobile devices and predictably everyone is complaining. I want to increase the timeout on this to say, 4 hours before they have to enter a password. Looks like the limit is 60 minutes in the console, any way to override that?

Another question: anyone notice android being completely retarded when it comes to this? I had one issue where an android user couldn't get email after policy was enforced, but he already had a password on his device. Another user had the swipe-code thing and that didn't count as a good enough password for exchange (or wasn't recognized -- this one prob isn't android's fault)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Nevergirls posted:

Another question: anyone notice android being completely retarded when it comes to this? I had one issue where an android user couldn't get email after policy was enforced, but he already had a password on his device. Another user had the swipe-code thing and that didn't count as a good enough password for exchange (or wasn't recognized -- this one prob isn't android's fault)

Android handsets are poo poo when it comes to compliance with activesync policies. The solution is to narrow down the supported handsets, or license touchdown.

iOS devices ~*~just work~*~

Somebody once posted a PDF report on various handsets specifically relating to this issue and I've never been able to find it again.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Kenfoldsfive posted:

Hopefully this thread still has some life in it..

I'm finishing up an exchange migration (2003 -> 2010) and just switched OAB distribution to web-based. And I just realized something. I have no clue where I can actually view my OAB in Outlook.

It's being published in IIS, I can see it sitting in my "offline address books" folder on my system's hdd, I just have no idea where in outlook I would see the contents of it. There's nothing in my 'contacts' tab. Am I missing something stupid? I must be - even google thinks that's too stupid of a question to answer.

It's just the global address list, so you can see it in all of the usual places. Create a new e-mail and click [To:] it should be populated there. The OAB parameters just handle how client's cache the specified address list.

If you are just trying to make sure it's working, here's a quick check to make sure it's generating and distributing properly:

- Issue an update-offlineaddressbook and check for OABGEN errors in the event log.

- Then make sure you can download them client-side in Outlook via the send-receive -> Download Address Book

- You should see the address list you've specified as the OAB for that mailbox in the following dialog box. Tell it to download full details.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Linux Nazi posted:

Android handsets are poo poo when it comes to compliance with activesync policies. The solution is to narrow down the supported handsets, or license touchdown.

iOS devices ~*~just work~*~

Somebody once posted a PDF report on various handsets specifically relating to this issue and I've never been able to find it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Exchange_ActiveSync_clients

Is what I use, I don't support android devices unless they're running touchdown makes my life much simpler.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
Just going to post this here as well as the security thread

All of a sudden everyone on my network is getting connect calendar.office.microsoft.com pop ups asking them for their logins to our AD domain it looks like a real box in outlook, no one has done any public calendar sharing and we're on our own exchange server.

Everything shows normal in trend and the sonicwall though.

Is this some random outlook bug or an exploit in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me an easy / step by step way of forwarding my emails from my two Hotmail accounts (@hotmail.co.uk & @caledonian.ac.uk) to my Gmail acc? Tried myself but Hotmail's Outlook options are unmanageable and I can't see anything in Gmail's settings.

Thanks.