Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

KuangMkV posted:

Tease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So I finally have enough army to play a decent sized game and I am thinking of running with this list.

Protectorate of Mentoth
25 Points
Warcaster: pSeveris +6

Jacks
Blessing of Vengence 7
Redeemer 6
Vigilant 4

Units

Choir min 2
Zealots min + UA 6
Temple Flameguard min + UA 6

So my idea is that the BoV can deploy within choir distance letting Severus gain some early casting for his spells before engaging in melee.

The Zealots and Temple will wade up and chuck holy fire on any troops.

The Redeemer will stand bit back and lob artillery(with a +1 to attack after taking the Aim, Eye of Menoth and the Choir bonuses against its drat inaccurate penalty)

The Vigilant will either stand back with Severus or if my TFG are getting hammered with blast attacks then I'll run him up and they can all hug.

I have no anti-stealth capabilities ATM and I know this will make me weak in that area, so I'll just have to hope and pray.

Any suggestions?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Any suggestions?

You don't really have a heavy hitter in there anywhere... I'd really try to work a heavy jack into that list somewhere, even if you just drop the Redeemer for a Crusader.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gay Polymers posted:

WHERE'S MY JUDICATOR?!?!

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Excelsiortothemax posted:

So I finally have enough army to play a decent sized game and I am thinking of running with this list.

Protectorate of Mentoth
25 Points
Warcaster: pSeveris +6

Jacks
Blessing of Vengence 7
Redeemer 6
Vigilant 4

Units

Choir min 2
Zealots min + UA 6
Temple Flameguard min + UA 6

Any suggestions?

My suggestion: drop one of the 2 min units + UA for a decent heavy hitter like a Reckoner. Zealots and TFG provide the same function in the list and they can't really crack high armor, as GP already said. Also your list is screaming for a vassal, those guys are so awesome it's not even funny.

Here's a sample list that should work well, although it loses the BoV in favor of the Reckoner. It also drops the Vigilant for a Repenter, which you probably have if you bought the battlebox. It's another awesome jack when choired up, and it can take advantage of a vassal really well.

Grand Scrutator Severius +6 points
* Reckoner 8 points
* Redeemer 6 points
* Repenter 4 points

4 Choir of Menoth 2 points
10 Temple Flameguard 6 points
* TFG Officer & Standard 2 points
Vassal of Menoth 2 points
3 Wracks 1 point

Willeh fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 10, 2012

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Willeh posted:

My suggestion: drop one of the 2 min units + UA for a decent heavy hitter like a Reckoner. Zealots and TFG provide the same function in the list and they can't really crack high armor, as GP already said. Also your list is screaming for a vassal, those guys are so awesome it's not even funny.

Here's a sample list that should work well, although it loses the BoV in favor of the Reckoner. It also drops the Vigilant for a Repenter, which you probably have if you bought the battlebox. It's another awesome jack when choired up, and it can take advantage of a vassal really well.

Grand Scrutator Severius +6 points
* Reckoner 8 points
* Redeemer 6 points
* Repenter 4 points

4 Choir of Menoth 2 points
10 Temple Flameguard 6 points
* TFG Officer & Standard 2 points
Vassal of Menoth 2 points
3 Wracks 1 point

See, that is pretty much the list I wanted to run but I dont have a Vassal or a Reckoner yet.

I can always ask if I can sub. Thanks guys!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
code:
Army Name: Madrak1 Spray Brick
Trollbloods
50+6 points, 36 models

Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain  +6 points
* 2x Dire Troll Bomber  10 points each
* Troll Impaler  5 points
* Runebearer  2 points

Fell Caller Hero  3 points
4 Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes  3 points
* Stone Scribe Elder  1 point
Stone Scribe Chronicler  2 points
10 Trollkin Fennblades  8 points
* Fennblade Officer & Drummer  2 points
10 Trollkin Scattergunners  8 points
* Scattergunner Officer & Standard  2 
Brick up, Fennblades set up as a screen, scattergunners are the counterpunch...

I just want to try out Madrak1's feat in coordination with Scattergunner UA. Basically the interaction revolves around the feat granting overtake and an additional melee attack for destroying an enemy with a melee attack in Madraks control area. Those two abilities should deal with a mass of Bane Thralls quite well!

The double Bombers are to deal with high defense infantry, and heavy armor. I think it would struggle facing multiple Khador heavies, but noone around here plays like that.

The Fennblades would be defense 16 against ranged, magic, charges, or slams. It would also be funny to use girded to make a bunch of them immune to blasts!

The hardest part, I think, about this list would be the lack of whelps! Also, it probably couldn't split to control multiple zones easily.

What do you think, troll bros?

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

dexefiend posted:

[code]
Madrak spray awesomeness

I'm not really an expert on Madrak1, but I still think the list has problems cracking high armor, but if it's not a problem for you it's worth a shot.

Also only a few fenns would be def 16, namely the ones hanging around madrak or your surefoot target, unfortunately.

Full Fenns as well as full scattergunners sounds like a good counter to the usual infantrymachine lists. But fenns already outthreat bane thralls by about a mile (With vengeance and their minifeat, as well as reach + good speed) and they only need 6 to hit, even when not buffed by a fell caller, so banes aren't really an issue.

Double bombers sound awesome though, I heard that on MoM too, kind of want to try it for a few games at least.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Willeh posted:

I'm not really an expert on Madrak1, but I still think the list has problems cracking high armor, but if it's not a problem for you it's worth a shot.

Also only a few fenns would be def 16, namely the ones hanging around madrak or your surefoot target, unfortunately.

Full Fenns as well as full scattergunners sounds like a good counter to the usual infantrymachine lists. But fenns already outthreat bane thralls by about a mile (With vengeance and their minifeat, as well as reach + good speed) and they only need 6 to hit, even when not buffed by a fell caller, so banes aren't really an issue.

Double bombers sound awesome though, I heard that on MoM too, kind of want to try it for a few games at least.

Oh, I never get the charge on the Bane Thralls, because the Fennblades always have Crippling Grasp. One of the Cryx players around here only plays Deneghra1. It is a real joy to face that every other week or so as a Troll player. :smith:

It is shocking what a bomber and some kind dice rolls can do! I took out a Kodiak's movement from a foot a way with a single huge boosted damage roll of 5,5,6 to the 2, and my opponent was like "Are you making GBS threads me?"

I think the strength of the bomber comes from its effectiveness against armor and high def infantry.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Take a thrullg and punch your fennblades in the back with it

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
This guy looks friendly

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Man, I hate Khador, but that is a great looking jack.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

crime fighting hog posted:

This guy looks friendly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQvB6OjHOU

Welp, I know what I'm buying at GenCon.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I really hope those small shields on his arms are just for aesthetic purposes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm actually not sure how I feel about that Khador colossal. I mean, it's neat, but I feel like it doesn't have anything distinguishable about it. It's just... this big fat mass. I guess that's what all Khador jacks are, but I that one is just lacking character to me.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Looks like at the CCEE there are going to be a few WMH tournaments, including a 15 pt mangeled metal match.

This is what I was thinking

Army: Protectorate of Menoth
15 points Mangled Metal

Warcaster: Reznik +6 Warjack pts

Jacks

Crusader
Dervish

I can also drop Avatar for this list:

Reckoner
Templar
Devout

The second list would give me range and the Spell Breaker is handy. On the other hand the Avatar is a beast and with Holy Vessel I dont have to worry about focus so I can buy attacks and boost for the Crusader and Dervish.

Thoughts?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

I'm actually not sure how I feel about that Khador colossal. I mean, it's neat, but I feel like it doesn't have anything distinguishable about it. It's just... this big fat mass. I guess that's what all Khador jacks are, but I that one is just lacking character to me.

I agree. Also it's in the typical "can't stand straight up, must pose it weird" Khador style, which I hate.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Verdugo posted:

I agree. Also it's in the typical "can't stand straight up, must pose it weird" Khador style, which I hate.

It looks like it is standing up straight to me, I don't think the pose is all that bad. Not Behemoth bad at least.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Nice model, but if it keeps going like this, Vlad4 will have no peripheral vision whatsoever.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Willeh posted:

Nice model, but if it keeps going like this, Vlad4 will have no peripheral vision whatsoever.

Where the gently caress is M3. Or the Adjudicator. :colbert:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Willeh posted:

Wonder how many times he had to kill the Lich King to get those shoulders to drop

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Willeh posted:

drat, I like to poke fun about giant shoulderpads in Warmachine... but wow. Are PP modelers just playing a massive joke?

Vlad4 will need to come with little support beams on wheels.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Help! I want to play somewhat jack heavy but I am playing Khador! Does this list in any shape or form work for somewhat casual games? The plan is to have the Zerker, juggernaut and STs run ahead and start smashing face, while the destroyer and bombardiers try to go for a caster kill fuelled by Butchers feat and spells.

Faction: Butcher - Heart of Darkness
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 2
The Butcher of Khardov (*6pts)
* Berserker (6pts)
* Destroyer (9pts)
* Juggernaut (7pts)
Man-o-war Bombardiers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Man-o-war Shocktroopers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Where's my Epic Vyros? His sword's bigger.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Raiche posted:

drat, I like to poke fun about giant shoulderpads in Warmachine... but wow. Are PP modelers just playing a massive joke?

Vlad4 will need to come with little support beams on wheels.

Perhaps he is simply terrified of being decapitated. They should write some fluff about how the Old Witch prophesied his death.

How do spell that horrible word? past tense of make a prophecy.

Edit:
Prophesy -> Prophesied
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prophesy

What a wierd word!

--Seriously though, looking at that word is making me a little dizzy--

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2012

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Look at Vlad, now back at me. I'm on a horse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What all is actually coming out on the new book? I know that everyone is getting a caster and a colossal, but is that it? Or will everyone get a smattering of UAs, Solos, etc like in Wrath? It would be nice to see that, but I would also not be surprised if they were pitching fewer things in the new book.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ashcans posted:

What all is actually coming out on the new book? I know that everyone is getting a caster and a colossal, but is that it? Or will everyone get a smattering of UAs, Solos, etc like in Wrath? It would be nice to see that, but I would also not be surprised if they were pitching fewer things in the new book.

All we know for certain is Epic3 casters and colossals, but there will certainly be a smattering of other stuff as well.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It sounds like just a caster and BE for each faction. Unbound rules, and theme lists.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am kind of hoping for at least a solo or a UA in there, because I won't be able to use General Ossrum and it'll be ages before I can afford a Colossal. I suppose that I can always enjoy the book for its fluff, at least. :unsmith:

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

PaintVagrant posted:

It sounds like just a caster and BE for each faction. Unbound rules, and theme lists.

Damnit, Menoth always gets their stuff revealed last.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Pfhreak posted:

Damnit, Menoth always gets their stuff revealed last.

That's because we have the coolest poo poo, and everyone would be bummed out if they saw ours first and theirs didn't compare.

Also, yell at Kuang. :v:

Cirrus_Alreia
Oct 26, 2007
Count Chocula Incarnate
So, I've been playing Warmachine for a few months now. I'm a cryx player and have a good few models at my disposal. The thing is, I just seem to lack the versatility that my opponents have(though I recently acquired a DJ but don't have a card for him so I haven't played him[also been playing in a journeyman so, no characters yet.].)
Either way, I just feel like my opponents wind up with more vectors for killing me and I'm stuck with one or two straight forward methods of killing them.

Here is what I have:

Coven
pDeneghra
pGaspy
pSkarre
Max Bane Thralls + UA
Satyxis Raiders +UA + Captain
Slayer
Deathripper x2
Defiler
Tartarus
Withershadow
Sirens x2
Pistol Wraiths x2
--
Perhaps, I'm just a failure at tactics but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I'm missing something. Things like the Doom Reavers with their damned abomination + reach screens are causing me no end of grief. Part of the issue seems like I can't decide when BLT is worth it.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Help! I want to play somewhat jack heavy but I am playing Khador! Does this list in any shape or form work for somewhat casual games? The plan is to have the Zerker, juggernaut and STs run ahead and start smashing face, while the destroyer and bombardiers try to go for a caster kill fuelled by Butchers feat and spells.

Faction: Butcher - Heart of Darkness
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 2
The Butcher of Khardov (*6pts)
* Berserker (6pts)
* Destroyer (9pts)
* Juggernaut (7pts)
Man-o-war Bombardiers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Man-o-war Shocktroopers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)

No one seems to be replying yet, so I'll throw out a fairly bad opinion.

I hate Bombardiers. They are expensive and not good enough at what they do.

Also, your list is SPD 4. You will not be moving much, even running will not get you in to smash faces. So I would recommend replacing the Bombardiers with something else. pButcher can use Iron Flesh, so maybe some Kayazy? The extra points can go to manhunters. pButcher loves manhunters.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Willeh posted:

Lol. Look at the 360 rotation on the PP site. From the side you cannot see his head at all.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Gay Polymers posted:

That's because we have the coolest poo poo, and everyone would be bummed out if they saw ours first and theirs didn't compare.

I, for one, am hoping they crank Kreoss3 to 11. In a faction of fairly interesting characters (Evil Pope, Flying Loli, Methodical Firebug, Starscream, etc.) he has been fairly bland in the story. He is, after all, our poster-child caster, and so far he's just... The Exemplar Caster. Even Silent Bob has more going for him, and that's just a travesty.

Either way, I am really hoping that these new mounted casters will have more synergy with cavalry in the game than what is currently kicking around. I love Vengers, but for the love of Menoth, they just don't typically warrant fielding for their incredibly high cost compared to other models. If it means a new age of cavalry viability, I will gladly suffer meaner Uhlans or Storm Lances if it means Vengers get put in the field a bit more. This may be the age of steam, but we've got Renaissance Fantasy crashing into the Industrial Age without any Napoleonic airs as a chewy nougat centre? Nuts to that, I want to shout out my charges!

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dorakyura posted:

Flying Loli
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear this blatant heresy and let you edit it out before I send Reznik after you. :colbert:

Also if you think I'm boring you don't know me very well.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cirrus_Alreia posted:

So, I've been playing Warmachine for a few months now. I'm a cryx player and have a good few models at my disposal. The thing is, I just seem to lack the versatility that my opponents have(though I recently acquired a DJ but don't have a card for him so I haven't played him[also been playing in a journeyman so, no characters yet.].)
Either way, I just feel like my opponents wind up with more vectors for killing me and I'm stuck with one or two straight forward methods of killing them.

Here is what I have:

Coven
pDeneghra
pGaspy
pSkarre
Max Bane Thralls + UA
Satyxis Raiders +UA + Captain
Slayer
Deathripper x2
Defiler
Tartarus
Withershadow
Sirens x2
Pistol Wraiths x2
--
Perhaps, I'm just a failure at tactics but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I'm missing something. Things like the Doom Reavers with their damned abomination + reach screens are causing me no end of grief. Part of the issue seems like I can't decide when BLT is worth it.

Well cryx is probably the most versatile faction. With the exception of shooting, but only cygnar, ret, and legion can do that really.

You do really have all the key pieces to be very successful there. You don't have bile thralls (hard counter against doom reavers) or mechanithralls though, so you are seriously missing out on the fodder aspect. pGaspy and pSkarre especially benefit from mechanithralls, Denny and the Coven can take them or leave them.

If your opponent knows that is your caster list and takes Doom Reavers against you every time then he might just be being a dick, if that's the case then you should stick with playing pSkarre against that person. But you don't have a skarlock to really be playing pSkarre properly.

BLT is worth it any time you can hit like 3 dudes. If you get 3 Banes back then he has really done his job. It is difficult to have him hit and make some guys and then survive afterwards, and if you manage two turns of that then you have probably won the game from that alone.

What you probably should consider doing is getting someone else in the store who has been playing a long time to play your army against someone and then you can watch how he plays. Especially pDenny is really tricky for new players.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Mikael Kreoss posted:

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear this blatant heresy and let you edit it out before I send Reznik after you. :colbert:

Also if you think I'm boring you don't know me very well.

Haha, it's simply the local name for her, not my own nomenclature. I'm in good with ol' Servath, I have nothing to fear!

As for what Kreoss has been up to in the fluff, I remain staunchly adamant that he's gotten some of the least character development outside of Amon ad-Raza. Fix it, sir. Fix it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dorakyura posted:

Haha, it's simply the local name for her, not my own nomenclature. I'm in good with ol' Servath, I have nothing to fear!

As for what Kreoss has been up to in the fluff, I remain staunchly adamant that he's gotten some of the least character development outside of Amon ad-Raza. Fix it, sir. Fix it. :colbert:

Amon ad-Who?

• Locked thread