Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Generosity begats prosperity. If you give lots of huge gifts, throw mighty feasts for your neighbors, and buy treasures at marked-up rates, your neighbors will find a way to repay you, because otherwise they'll look like chumps. It works best if you also have lots and lots of trade routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
I wonder what a KoDP 2 would be like if it was like KoDP but more, and it was also a browser-based multiplayer game like Urban Dead and Evony and games like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tufty posted:

I wonder what a KoDP 2 would be like if it was like KoDP but more, and it was also a browser-based multiplayer game like Urban Dead and Evony and games like that.

Come enslave duck m'lord

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Tufty posted:

A disaster, that's what. Seriously. I can't see a way to make multiplayer KoDP work.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

zkline posted:

A disaster, that's what. Seriously. I can't see a way to make multiplayer KoDP work.

About the same way it does in singleplayer, but your neighbors are slightly less petty obnoxious dicks

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

About the same way it does in singleplayer, but your neighbors are slightly less petty obnoxious dicks

Or slightly more.

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. It'd be exactly as KoDP is, but the world is effectively limitless and neighbouring clans are other players.

As for how turns and seasons would work, I'm no game designer but those browser games generally give you a set amount of turns per day. I guess each player would get 5 turns a day or something, and each day is a season.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
How would you make generosity a virtue? Because in KoDP, handing out huge piles of stuff more or less at random is a very powerful strategy because all the clan members of other clans are impressed all to hell with you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
People keep saying that, but god drat the other clans are a bunch of whiny ungrateful punks nine times out of ten. I also wouldn't describe them as "impressed", so much as they know a gravy train when they see it.

e: I would also end up with huge stockpiles of goods because I am awesome and everyone liked me enough as gift giving would take it. There is a point where you're just throwing poo poo away, its best to save them for when you really need to persuade people (kingmaking).

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 11, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
What's your clan's reputation?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

What's your clan's reputation?

Well this was a game I won a while ago so I'll take a stab and say it was pretty good. I just remember having issues getting the rest of the tribe to make a guy from my clan king twice in a row, which involved me partaking in some proto-regicide before they went with my guy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tufty posted:

Or slightly more.

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. It'd be exactly as KoDP is, but the world is effectively limitless and neighbouring clans are other players.

As for how turns and seasons would work, I'm no game designer but those browser games generally give you a set amount of turns per day. I guess each player would get 5 turns a day or something, and each day is a season.

I don't think it could work as a browser based game, but I think it *might* work if you could PBEM in rounds like, say, dominions 3. A game would just run until one player successfully completed the end game sequence and then scores would be tallied or whatever.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Well this was a game I won a while ago so I'll take a stab and say it was pretty good. I just remember having issues getting the rest of the tribe to make a guy from my clan king twice in a row, which involved me partaking in some proto-regicide before they went with my guy.

Proto-regicide is always great. If you have enough magic you can just keep getting gifts from people!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
That's a bit more evil than I went for.

All I did was kill a few pretenders. And I guess on the very last year of the game, I went ahead and scarified to Malia about six times to launch plagues on each one of the clans that I had felt particularly miffed towards. Then I won the game and evaded all the consequences of my actions.

A bit less wicked than my misuse of the proto prefix but what can you do.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
This fuckin' game. I raid a neighbor with my tribemate, and another tribemate comes in and steals some of my cows while my weaponthanes are out. Gonna have my trickster speak for your king at the next election, assholes.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This has probably been posted already, but apparently the development teams runs a blog.

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com.au/

It's mostly sales data and promotional news, but there's some interesting stuff about the game mechanics in there.

On a different topic - how do people find the controls on the iPhone? It feels like it would be automatically too large a game to put on such a small device, especially with the touch-screen, but every time I fire it up on my laptop I'm reminded of how small a screen resolution it actually runs on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A universal version is one that would run on any OS or device, right? I'm not up on my terminology.

Edit: vvv Oh :( That's too bad. I would've jumped at a chance to get myself a copy that works on modern computers without a whole lot of settings altered.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 16, 2012

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

evilmiera posted:

A universal version is one that would run on any OS or device, right? I'm not up on my terminology.

No it means an executable that contains optimized modes for iphone and ipad devices. right now I think the ipad just runs a scaled-up version of the iphone game that doesn't look all that hot.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

freebooter posted:

This has probably been posted already, but apparently the development teams runs a blog.

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com.au/

It's mostly sales data and promotional news, but there's some interesting stuff about the game mechanics in there.

On a different topic - how do people find the controls on the iPhone? It feels like it would be automatically too large a game to put on such a small device, especially with the touch-screen, but every time I fire it up on my laptop I'm reminded of how small a screen resolution it actually runs on.

The controls are pretty good, and it really doesn't lack any information. It's really well-done. The only iffy part is the sliders for gifts/sacrifices/etc, it's hard to be precise with those, but I don't find it much of a big deal.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

gowb posted:

The controls are pretty good, and it really doesn't lack any information. It's really well-done. The only iffy part is the sliders for gifts/sacrifices/etc, it's hard to be precise with those, but I don't find it much of a big deal.

Plus one on this, particularly the last comment. Sliders are doubly annoying when playing with VoiceOver, especially the battle magic slider when I have, like, 2 points left. Due to some bug which has never adequately been explained, I can't increase it reliably. My only option is maximum magic, which upon reflection might not be a bad idea…

Sega See D
Nov 18, 2006

kill the oppressors
There are a few places especially in hero quests where I accidentally selected the wrong option and (ie one I didn't mean to) and accidentally rendered my law speakers illiterate but mostly I think the controls are perfectly fine.

I just won my first long game and was still so excited about the game that I immediately restarted it. I have to have kodp in my pocket I can't live without it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the best way to get heroquesting secrets? I can no longer sacrifice for mysteries for Lhankor My and Humakt, but when I go to the lore screen it just gives me the details of the heroquest, not the secrets. From doing the Urlanth heroquest it seems pretty important to know the secrets before going in and trial & error-ing it, but that might be what I have to do here.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Trade for them. Specifically, give enough gifts to another clan that they owe you a favor, and then call that favor in as knowledge.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Tulip posted:

Trade for them. Specifically, give enough gifts to another clan that they owe you a favor, and then call that favor in as knowledge.

It'll still take a while, though. Most clans just tell you stupid poo poo like the Sword Story or How Things Began, which we already know. You can also get secrets from events, like the Tarshite weaponthanes or uh...maybe the adventuring party?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to get heroquesting secrets? I can no longer sacrifice for mysteries for Lhankor My and Humakt, but when I go to the lore screen it just gives me the details of the heroquest, not the secrets. From doing the Urlanth heroquest it seems pretty important to know the secrets before going in and trial & error-ing it, but that might be what I have to do here.

Are you absolutely sure you don't know the secrets? In the main "Lore" screen it'll show one - for stories you know the details of and = for quests you know the secrets of. When you tap the specific story you'll have to tap the symbol in the bottom left (a - or a = in a circle) to display more of the details.

I've always been able to sacrifice to get the secrets for a quest like Lhankhor Mhy so I have no idea why that's happening for you. Sometimes you can sacrifice to, say, Ernalda and get secrets for an Orlanth heroquest but that makes sense because she's his wife and involved in both of his heroquests.

For Lhankhor Mhy I would suggest sacrificing to Issaries or maybe Urox since they are involved in his quest. I don't really know if that will work but it's worth a try.

Also: Trading for them is not that reliable since you can't pick what story you get the secrets for.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I didn't say anything about it being fast or smooth sailing, just that it would work.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
If you can't sacrifice for mysteries, you know all there is to know. Not all hero quests have secrets, some just have details.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

That's not true. Once you know all the rituals of a god, you can no longer sacrifice for mysteries, whether you have their heroquest info or not. There's no option to sacrifice for heroquest info alone, and the only remaining option is what Tulip said. Unless you feel like waiting around for random events, which will take far, far longer.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Is that so? I'm puzzled, I always seem to get all the HQ info reliably by sacrificing for mysteries. I'll have to test and see what happens, I've never once asked for info from another clan.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

zkline posted:

Is that so? I'm puzzled, I always seem to get all the HQ info reliably by sacrificing for mysteries. I'll have to test and see what happens, I've never once asked for info from another clan.

I got one last night for marrying off my clan's beauty. She cried but gently caress it, Elmal wasn't going to Guard the Stead by himself.

I was getting my poo poo ruined by a Chaos monster; could only attract two Urox followers, no other clans would help me, would sacrifice a bunch, and it still kept murdering all my thanes and wreaking havoc. I finally managed to get rid of it (and you still get all that "gently caress you" damage when it dies) and another one came back within a year. I tried doing the Elmal quest to ward off Chaos but I apparently can't heroquest to save my life now. The second time I pre-emptively sacrificed a bunch of poo poo, got 4-5 Urox followers, some clans sent people to help, and I killed it. Hasn't come back since.

Also, in the weird position of making friends with the trolls since one of my tribe-mate clans made that a condition of joining. I've got ice monsters as my ancestral enemy (seriously, easy mode) so it's not messing with my clan magic, but I successfully traded with a caravan of them. Kinda curious what would happen if I sent a party up to the queen's demesne.

Out of curiosity, does the heroquest blessing that gives you domain over bulls and bull-headed creatures make you okay with the Beastfolk (even if you start harassing the ducks)?

Also, the "allows our oxen to plow more land" blessing means more food, right? For once I've done a good job not starving my clan to death (amazing how quickly that will tank a clan's mood), but after the Chaos monster ate a bunch of my carls I've been having trouble recovering. I put some hunters to farming and recruited new farmers and things seem to be getting back to normal, but wanted to know for future reference. I've already got a shrine for the one that makes farmland more fertile when people die on it, and all the other obvious ones.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 26, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, in the weird position of making friends with the trolls since one of my tribe-mate clans made that a condition of joining. I've got ice monsters as my ancestral enemy (seriously, easy mode) so it's not messing with my clan magic, but I successfully traded with a caravan of them. Kinda curious what would happen if I sent a party up to the queen's demesne.

I've never been in your position but I have a pretty good hunch about this idea

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

freebooter posted:

That's not true. Once you know all the rituals of a god, you can no longer sacrifice for mysteries, whether you have their heroquest info or not. There's no option to sacrifice for heroquest info alone, and the only remaining option is what Tulip said. Unless you feel like waiting around for random events, which will take far, far longer.
is this a pc thing? On iOS I'm able to keep sacrificing for mysteries after I have all the rituals.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Kekekela posted:

is this a pc thing? On iOS I'm able to keep sacrificing for mysteries after I have all the rituals.

I could keep sacrificing after I knew about all of them, but not once I had the details of all of them.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

freebooter posted:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, the "allows our oxen to plow more land" blessing means more food, right? For once I've done a good job not starving my clan to death (amazing how quickly that will tank a clan's mood), but after the Chaos monster ate a bunch of my carls I've been having trouble recovering. I put some hunters to farming and recruited new farmers and things seem to be getting back to normal, but wanted to know for future reference. I've already got a shrine for the one that makes farmland more fertile when people die on it, and all the other obvious ones.

Pretty sure it's just what it says, lets you keep up annual production if you've got way too much land/not enough cattle. It's sort of a lovely blessing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If the trouble is lack of workers you want the other barntar blessing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm just pulling out of the starvation death spiral (none of my rear end in a top hat allies or people who owed me favors would pony up food). Continue to have horrible luck with heroquests, although I did manage to put away one at some point.

What kind of magic surpluses do you guys run? Usually I wind up keeping 5 or so in reserve for random raids/rituals, but sometimes I wind up with a bunch from completing a quest or some other random awesome event. It seems the game always finds a way to gently caress me out of -17 magic in short order whenever that happens though... it's not even that I made a bad call, it'll just go "oh by the way this happened, you now have 0 (or negative number) clan magic". It's happened 2 for 2 times I've run a surplus over 15 for more than a year.

In troll-related news, spotted their caravan again. This time I just showered them with gifts. They seemed confused but cautiously optimistic about my tribe.

Quest Tribe, trollfriends.

(Naturally, my clan name is Wu Tang)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I usually run like 2 surplus - i just plow as much as i can into crops, diplomacy, trade, and mysteries early on.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Oh. Whoops. Disregard what I said!

I'm definitely going to get around to buying the ios version, once I do the laborious task of picking up my iphone and moving my thumb around, but quick question - are there new random events?

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

are there new random events?

Indeed there are, about 26 or so according to old blog posts. GOod luck distinguishing old from new though, their are so many old ones you only see under specific circumstances I imagine it would be a hard job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think I got most of them after 10 years (although I never did manage to get the one where Kallyr wants to go martyr herself).

Are they unique and interesting events, like VAMPIRE! or DANCING DRAGONEWTS! or SKELETON BAND! Or are they variations on RELIGIOUS GROUP wants to PERFORM RITUAL y/n?

• Locked thread