Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Well, this is great.

My HP N40L hard locked the first time I tried to copy any real data to it (300 gig of pictures) I woke up this morning, couldn't access any files, couldn't get to the web interface and SSH wouldn't respond.

FreeNAS has no information for me other than that my ZFS pool is healthy. I sure would like to know what's going on.

Does anyone know I can get this thing to log somewhere else so I can see what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're absolutely on the right track there. I have this setup in concept, except that I haven't yet added a M1015 and OI/ZFS yet because I don't have any intermediary storage to migrate the data off of my mdraid array. I am passing the onboard SATA controller directly to an Ubuntu VM and picking up the individual drives that way, and performance is just as good as native...even a bit better than the old / much lower horsepower system it was on before when it was running natively on the hardware.

VT-d is actually better supported on AMD than Intel, because Intel wants to use it as a means to push you towards Xeons. With current-gen stuff you have to have at least an i5 processor, and it can't be a -K version. You also need a motherboard that both supports it and has it enabled, which is mostly server boards like Supermicro, but the Intel DQ67SWB3 also works (and is basically a server board minus the ECC support).

If cost is your primary concern, and you don't get a screaming deal on a lightly used DQ67SWB3 and i5 2400 (thanks, kill your idols!) then the cheapest way to go is the AMD AM3 processor of your choice, and the Asus M5A97 board (this bad boy). AMD treats VT-d/IOMMU as an entirely chipset-based feature, so in theory it should be fine with even a shitass Sempron, though I only tested it myself with an FX-6100.
Well, biggest concern isn't necessarily cost, but size. I'd like to use something like the Lian Li PC-Q08, which unfortunately needs a Mini-ITX board. Not sure if I'm going to be able to go all the way with an IOMMU setup with that little space to work with. Maybe I need to start rethinking this plan...

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
My FreeNAS server is getting kernal panics every time I do large file transfers. It stays up for about an hour, and then crashes with an error in the console. It's reproducible every time.

Error message:
Panic: kmem_malloc(32768): kmem_map too small: 1607741440 total allocated

I burned FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA2-x64.iso to a disc and then used another PC to install to a 8gb flash drive. AFAIK, this is the correct 64-bit version.

My hardware is as follows:
HP ProLiant N40L Microserver
2X Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
5X SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1X WD 2TB Green Drive
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter

Any thoughts?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

My FreeNAS server is getting kernal panics every time I do large file transfers. It stays up for about an hour, and then crashes with an error in the console. It's reproducible every time.

Error message:
Panic: kmem_malloc(32768): kmem_map too small: 1607741440 total allocated

I burned FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA2-x64.iso to a disc and then used another PC to install to a 8gb flash drive. AFAIK, this is the correct 64-bit version.

My hardware is as follows:
HP ProLiant N40L Microserver
2X Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
5X SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1X WD 2TB Green Drive
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter

Any thoughts?
Have you tried googling? Because I came up with this in about a second.
As a general rule, any issue (with exception of the UI) you can run into with FreeNAS will be replicapable (and has already been experienced by someone else) on FreeBSD (and if the issue is related to zfs, that makes it even more likely that someone else has encountered it).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

UndyingShadow posted:

Well, this is great.

My HP N40L hard locked the first time I tried to copy any real data to it (300 gig of pictures) I woke up this morning, couldn't access any files, couldn't get to the web interface and SSH wouldn't respond.

FreeNAS has no information for me other than that my ZFS pool is healthy. I sure would like to know what's going on.

Does anyone know I can get this thing to log somewhere else so I can see what's going on?

Which version of FreeNAS? Maybe I misunderstood, but can you access the shell directly (i.e., by hooking up a monitor and keyboard to the N40L)? Are you running FreeNAS on a thumb drive or a hard drive?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

Have you tried googling? Because I came up with this in about a second.
As a general rule, any issue (with exception of the UI) you can run into with FreeNAS will be replicapable (and has already been experienced by someone else) on FreeBSD (and if the issue is related to zfs, that makes it even more likely that someone else has encountered it).

Yeah, I tried googling it, and I got a TON of conflicting information. Some things say "Ohh, if you have the 64-bit version, you don't need to adjust this at all"

Some are recommending I set vm.kmem_size to twice my ram, other are suggesting setting it to exactly my ram, and still others say half.

As of right now, I've set it for half my ram and am copying files, and it hasn't locked up yet. I was just hoping someone who'd built a very similar system (the N40L being so popular in this thread) can give me a better answer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wang souffle posted:

Well, biggest concern isn't necessarily cost, but size. I'd like to use something like the Lian Li PC-Q08, which unfortunately needs a Mini-ITX board. Not sure if I'm going to be able to go all the way with an IOMMU setup with that little space to work with. Maybe I need to start rethinking this plan...

You might be screwed on the ITX front for AMD then, I don't see any 990* chipsets in an ITX board there.

Doesn't Lian Li have a slightly larger case that will support MicroATX though?

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Rukus posted:

Check out Home Server SMART: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebies/HomeServerSMART.aspx

WHS 2011's version is in a public beta right now, but it's very close to completion.

This is perfect, thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Does Hitachi do advanced RMAs? Looks like one of the drives in my server is on its way out, lots of entries from fmadm/fmdump, and SMART reports 'Impending Drive Failure'. :(

Funnily enough, I can still access 99% of the files on my server, it just seems my most recent downloads that I've copied over are inaccessible/throw lots of disk errors.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

You might be screwed on the ITX front for AMD then, I don't see any 990* chipsets in an ITX board there.

Doesn't Lian Li have a slightly larger case that will support MicroATX though?
Might just say screw it and get the Fractal Define R3 on sale today for $80: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352013. That way I can grow a little more in the future.

This feels crazy to ask, but can ESXi handle video card passthrough? Wondering if I could run the file server side-by-side on the same hardware with an occasional gaming machine or HTPC.

wang souffle fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2012

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Can you guys recommend a NAS hard drive for me?

I'm looking for a drive with at least 1 TB, Time Machine support and with the ability to stream .mkv's + subtitles to my PS3. I've been looking at a WD My Live Book, are they generally recommended?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

wang souffle posted:

This feels crazy to ask, but can ESXi handle video card passthrough? Wondering if I could run the file server side-by-side on the same hardware with an occasional gaming machine or HTPC.

Yes, but it's still kinda buggy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, supposedly it could work. I might try it in the future if it ever gets a bit more fleshed out.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

If cost is your primary concern, and you don't get a screaming deal on a lightly used DQ67SWB3 and i5 2400 (thanks, kill your idols!) then the cheapest way to go is the AMD AM3 processor of your choice, and the Asus M5A97 board (this bad boy). AMD treats VT-d/IOMMU as an entirely chipset-based feature, so in theory it should be fine with even a shitass Sempron, though I only tested it myself with an FX-6100.
Going back to this post, I just remembered I have an old Phenom II CPU around. Any reason you suggest this specific chipset? Ideally I could find one with an integrated GPU--last thing I need is another loud video card.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Newegg has the N40L bundled with a WD 2TB Green Drive for $289 as the shell shocker this morning:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.895105

Sort of a hot deal? The drive is $130 by itself, assuming you have a need for it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wang souffle posted:

Going back to this post, I just remembered I have an old Phenom II CPU around. Any reason you suggest this specific chipset? Ideally I could find one with an integrated GPU--last thing I need is another loud video card.

It's the one that someone else suggested that I use, and the only one I've tested to confirm that IOMMU works on. Not sure if any of the integrated graphics chipsets support IOMMU.

Also, while a lot of AMD's chipsets support IOMMU, the manufacturer still needs to enable it in the BIOS.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 9, 2012

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question on my current setup. I've got a N40L, 8gb of ram, with regular Ubuntu installed on the 250GB drive it came with and a 500GB/2TB drive for data. I'm mainly using it to run rtorrent, streaming to boxee, and data that doesn't fit on my macbook air. The ultimate plan is to get a few more 2TB drives but nothing's urgent right now.

I see a lot more people using FreeNAS with the N40L. Is there any reason to transition my server over to FreeNAS instead? I'm just worried that I'll keep on buying 2TB hard drives and never come up with an intelligent, somewhat redundant system.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 9, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

Newegg has the N40L bundled with a WD 2TB Green Drive for $289 as the shell shocker this morning:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.895105

Sort of a hot deal? The drive is $130 by itself, assuming you have a need for it.

Wow that's a ridiculously good deal. The server alone goes for $400+ up here in Canada, we get totally hosed on them and the drive is like $140ish. I wish my buddy in Buffalo wasn't on vacation so I could get him to order one for me.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Residency Evil posted:

Question on my current setup. I've got a N40L, 8gb of ram, with regular Ubuntu installed on the 250GB drive it came with and a 500GB/2TB drive for data. I'm mainly using it to run rtorrent, streaming to boxee, and data that doesn't fit on my macbook air. The ultimate plan is to get a few more 2TB drives but nothing's urgent right now.

I see a lot more people using FreeNAS with the N40L. Is there any reason to transition my server over to FreeNAS instead? I'm just worried that I'll keep on buying 2TB hard drives and never come up with an intelligent, somewhat redundant system.

FreeNAS has ZFS and is very loving simple to setup. However, with the current release, you can't expand the array due to a limitation with ZFS version 15 (I think in future versions you will be able to).

If you don't plan on buying all 4 drives at once, Ubuntu and mdadm is fine. The only thing about Ubuntu is that is takes a bit more work/reading to setup where FreeNAS has everything in a web interface.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IT Guy posted:

FreeNAS has ZFS and is very loving simple to setup. However, with the current release, you can't expand the array due to a limitation with ZFS version 15 (I think in future versions you will be able to).
You can expand the pool just fine, you just need to add a seperate zraid1/2 vdev under the same pool. Basically whenever you create your first pool of three disks, you have a vdev running zraid1 - but if you add three more drives in a zraid1 in an additional vdev and add it to your pool, you've expanded the pool.
You can also replace drives with bigger drives, which in v15 just requires an export and an import (and resilvering once the replacement has been done for each disk).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can't expand a pool disk by disk with ZFS, and that will probably never change. You can add more vdevs in a stripe, or you can make bigger disks.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

IT Guy posted:

So, I factory reset my DS411j, reloaded the DSM software and reconfigured everything from scratch. I'm now seeing 40MB/s writes and 60MB/s reads with 1500 MTU.

Not sure what was going on before but I've been using it like that for about a year and just assumed it was because of the specs.

Was the first copy an rsync? because I'm seeing the same sort of copy performance with it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Viktor posted:

Was the first copy an rsync? because I'm seeing the same sort of copy performance with it.

It was (first was rsync, second was CIFS), and actually I'm still having problems.

I'm getting pretty much the expected speeds through CIFS and NFS. However when I do rsync over SSH, I get max 5MB/s.

I was searching around this morning and found this thread: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=21212

Which is other people having the same issue. They believe it's the CPU maxing out on the encryption of the SSH protocol.

When I get home tonight I'm probably going to mount my Synology box via NFS and just rsync over NFS.

I'm going to try doing an rsync module first but I've been unsuccessful in getting that to work so far.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 9, 2012

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

IT Guy posted:

It was (first was rsync, second was CIFS), and actually I'm still having problems.

I'm getting pretty much the expected speeds through CIFS and NFS. However when I do rsync over SSH, I get max 5MB/s.

I'm doing an rsync copy across a remote CIFS mount with no SSH encryption and im setting 5-6MB/s on the synology. CIFS copy still is 20+MB/s while this copy is running so eliminating SSH will not correct the problem the CPU is pegged out with the checksums from rsync.

The only way around it is probably do the rsync copy from the unraid NAS with a much better cpu.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Viktor posted:

I'm doing an rsync copy across a remote CIFS mount with no SSH encryption and im setting 5-6MB/s on the synology. CIFS copy still is 20+MB/s while this copy is running so eliminating SSH will not correct the problem the CPU is pegged out with the checksums from rsync.

The only way around it is probably do the rsync copy from the unraid NAS with a much better cpu.

drat.

I might just end up cutting my losses and trying to sell this thing. I'll keep the drives and just purchase a second N40L.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

IT Guy posted:

If you don't plan on buying all 4 drives at once, Ubuntu and mdadm is fine. The only thing about Ubuntu is that is takes a bit more work/reading to setup where FreeNAS has everything in a web interface.

Yeah as was stated, I'm pretty sure you can't add to the number of ZFS drives in a pool. Unfortunately it's not as slick as whatever drobo does. I think what I might do is add 2x2TB drives and convert to Raid5 eventually. The thing that attracts me to FreeNAS is that everything is so simple and less of a pita than doing it manually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Which is other people having the same issue. They believe it's the CPU maxing out on the encryption of the SSH protocol.
That's probably the issue. SSH wasn't really designed for high speed file transfers.

Viktor posted:

eliminating SSH will not correct the problem the CPU is pegged out with the checksums from rsync.
So I underestimated how anemic those chips are.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

That's probably the issue. SSH wasn't really designed for high speed file transfers.

So I underestimated how anemic those chips are.

It's not really a pure ARM processor problem a bit more digging shows rsync is horribly slow across the board for file copy unless you throw huge amounts of CPU time at it.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Just thought I'd give another update:

The port multiplier is *not* the issue - I was correct. When functioning correctly I can achieve 60MB/s writes, matching my previous back of napkin math.

I've discovered that the issue occurs when I close my case side, slightly nudging some SATA cables. I am going to order some replacement cables and replace all my old SATA cables.

Having said that, this does not solve the slow speed in ESXi issue. I will attempt troubleshooting on that front later, though I have a backup plan of action where I will purchase 2 LSI 2008 SAS HBAs and pass those through to the storage VM if all else fails.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Viktor posted:

:words:

This morning I got the rsync module backup working so it's talking directly with the rsync server and no in-between protocols. My speeds are now between 15MB/s and 17MB/s which I guess I'm happy(er) about. Since the Synology box is nothing but an rsync backup, I really don't care at this point.

Sombrero!
Sep 11, 2001

What are you guys using to mount ISOs to your USB stick to install on your N40L? I've tried PenDrive and UNetBootIn to mount this Linux Mint XFCE LiveCD iso and it just refuses to boot. I'm having a lot of trouble with various linux .isos, not just this one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Some flash drives just can't be made bootable for some reason so it might be that.

e: or at least I've got two Kingston DT101 G2 8GB USB drives and none of the tools I've used in the past will make them into bootable USB drives. I've got a couple other thumb drives that work just fine with UNetBootIn, LinuxLive USB Creator, and just DDing USB images to them but doing the exact same thing with the exact same images on these drives doesn't work.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 11, 2012

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Sombrero! posted:

What are you guys using to mount ISOs to your USB stick to install on your N40L? I've tried PenDrive and UNetBootIn to mount this Linux Mint XFCE LiveCD iso and it just refuses to boot. I'm having a lot of trouble with various linux .isos, not just this one.

If you're doing it from a Windows PC, see if http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ does the trick - it seems to work more consistently for me across various USB sticks than any other program I've found.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Galler posted:

Some flash drives just can't be made bootable for some reason so it might be that.

e: or at least I've got two Kingston DT101 G2 8GB USB drives and none of the tools I've used in the past will make them into bootable USB drives. I've got a couple other thumb drives that work just fine with UNetBootIn, LinuxLive USB Creator, and just DDing USB images to them but doing the exact same thing with the exact same images on these drives doesn't work.

I have the exact same flash drive, and I was able to install FreeNAS using https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer without any problem at all. That program works for img files but not iso, though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What is the recommended thumb drive to buy to make it bootable? Do all the FreeNAS logs get stored on the thumb drive?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

fletcher posted:

What is the recommended thumb drive to buy to make it bootable?

I don't think the drive is the problem. I think it's the software used to make it bootable. I have an 8gb Kingston drive that I got on Amazon for $6, and it's been perfect.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Weird. Maybe mine are from a bad batch or something because I've tried about a dozen different ISOs and at least 4 different methods of putting an image on these drives (from a variety of OSes) and it doesn't work. However all of the images and software works fine on the handful of other USB drives I have.

e: Ok now it loving works. What the gently caress I spent hours with these two drives trying every piece of software from a variety of host OSes to put a variety of different images on these things with no success. Three months later and the same poo poo works fine. I've got no loving idea.

At least I can not use these things for the purpose I bought them for. Other than the fact that I don't need them anymore I guess.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 11, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sombrero! posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a bum USB stick has made someone waste hours. The HP USB Format Tool has never failed to make a bootable USB drive for me, and the win32 distribution of syslinux hasn't failed me yet in making a boot record either.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a lot of experience with bootable ISOs on USB flash drives and I also had lots of trouble getting my (work's) N40L to boot off one. I actually gave up loving around with that and ended up installing to the internal USB port from an external DVDRW drive on another USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I assume you've tried the method mentioned of Using 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager on Windows that's described in the documentation? If so, and you have n*x running in a virtual box, OSX running anywhere or some old hardware with n*x, that very same page describes how to do it there.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 11, 2012