Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just realized yesterday that my department at school has a 10" meade Schmidt Cassegrain telescope, with a nice looking tripod and a set of meade 4000 series eyepieces. I need to do some more checking to see what kind of mount and exactly what model number everything is, but this could be fun :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

jeeves posted:

My current issue is the fact that I wear glasses.

Have you tried folding down the rubber eyecups on the eye pieces? Most binoculars have either twisting / folding eyecups to accomodate glasses wearers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Have you tried folding down the rubber eyecups on the eye pieces? Most binoculars have either twisting / folding eyecups to accomodate glasses wearers.

I didn't think of that, and strangely the sites I read about this didn't mention the solution either.

I'll give it a shot next time the class meets.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I haven't priced telescopes for a while, but I was surprised to find that there are now decent-looking 90+ mm refractors and 5"+ newts available for $200 or so. (I spent that much on a 60 mm Meade refractor in the mid-1990s.)

So I'm looking for an inexpensive, reasonably lightweight scope, that isn't junk, sets up quick, and won't need much (any) maintenance. Something like a 90-102 mm refractor, or a 5" newt. I kind of prefer altaz refractors, since that's what I'm used to, and EQ mounts and polar alignments etc. baffle me.

Likely candidates include the Celestron Astromaster 90mm refractor, or the Celestron 130EQ. I'm concerned that the altaz mount may be garbage on the refractor; it doesn't have slow-mo controls. Has anyone used the Celestron alt-az mount on their current models?

Also considering a basic GOTO model like the Meade StarNavigator 102.

Apparently SkyWatcher had a popular 80 mm scope/AZ4 mount combo that is almost impossible to find now. I'd be interested in that because it seems that most entry level scopes come on mounts that are very shaky.

Even if it adds to the initial cost, I wish the whole industry would standardize on better mounts and finderscopes that are actually usable. Few things are more frustrating than a telescope you can't find anything with, or a scope that is so shaky you can't tell if it's in focus or not.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I did some more research, and the telescope at my school is a 10" CSG, a Meade LX200 to be exact. Way more scope than I can afford on my own.

Now I just need to get an adapter for my camera and some buddies to help set it up. :neckbeard:

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

jeeves posted:

I didn't think of that, and strangely the sites I read about this didn't mention the solution either.

I'll give it a shot next time the class meets.

I wear glasses as well, and I really haven't found a great solution to observing while wearing them. I have a two pairs of binoculars, one with 9mm eye relief that is nearly unusable even with the eyecups rolled back, and a set with 12mm eye relief that is better, but I still just take off the glasses and spend a bit of time hunting.

Viewing through a telescope is great at least.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I'm trying to get a good telescope for my Nephew who is 10 right not, but this kid is really into it, and I want him to stay into it for a hobby at the very least. He lives in Wasilla AK, so we get dark nights a bunch, but what I'm hoping for is a really good telescope under $600 (I know) for a ten year old, that he can keep around for several years and that won't be boring to him in a few years. I absolutely need it to have the ability to viewed from a laptop inside his house, or his parents vehicle via converter power source and laptop.

Sorry If I missed something in the past 19 pages, but I really want him to have a shot at this while I will have a chance to run to anchorage to try to find one, or at least order the system before his birthday.

Need: motor compatible telescope and mounts, gps preferred. (and laptop compatible)

I'm pretty much an idiot, but I think my nephew is going to get real good at this just by the last year or two he's been learning. I want to encourage this.

Night time is limited to certain months, so, something that can play with sun screens would be fun too.

Bonus points for one that can do these things, and be attached to a DSLR (his mom has a nice one.)

Just open to suggestions.

e; any link to post/page where this is relevant is great, or just tell me "I posted this on page 4 rear end in a top hat" is fine and I'll just hang my head.

Don Baylor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 1, 2012

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Boba_Fettish posted:

I'm trying to get a good telescope for my Nephew who is 10 right not, but this kid is really into it, and I want him to stay into it for a hobby at the very least.

It's going to be tough to get all that under $600, but I'll do my best.

You could get a NexStar 4SE for about $500, which is a smaller scope, but ticks the boxes of motorized go-to and laptop control via NexRemote software (which I have not used). You will need a laptop with a serial port, or a USB converter.

You'd also be able to add a usb camera to this setup for remote viewing. Pre-made, these start around $100 dollars, but I and others have made them out of a USB webcam, a project enclosure box from radio shack, and bits of a leftover eyepiece for around 50 bucks. This is the specific one I did: http://ghonis2.ho8.com/Pro9000mod.html There are better webcam options now though, I think Jekub posted about one a few pages ago.

You can attach a DSLR to this telescope if you purchase an appropriate adapter that fits your DSLR, but you may have difficulty using it near zenith (directly overhead) due to the telescope not having a lot of clearance on it's mount.

You can add a solar filter to this telescope as well, for around 40-50, but they appear to be discontinued and will be somewhat tough to find.

A NexStar 4SE plus all the goodies will be closer to 800, but if you shop the used market you can reduce that price.

Loztblaz fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yay!

I stripped down the primary mirror assembly on my russian reflector last night (6").

The angle adjustment screws were covered with a waxy sealer goop, and I got to try my hand at adding a center-ring to the mirror. I actually managed to do it without loving it up! :toot:

I found and followed this here linky:
http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/168

The adjustment screws on the scope are just that: flat/standard screws. I need to find some knobs to replace them with. Really looking forward to getting this tank of a scope collimated. Hoping I don't have to mess with the secondary mirror, who's screws are sealed in what looks like laquer. It exists in an equally tank-ish equatorial mount. The tube is like 1/8" military grade iron, and the mount is just as bombproof. I see that as a benefit for stability, beyond transport.

The somewhat giant 10" dob next to the people's reflector:

High-tech primary adjustments. (sans sealer goop)

Focuser is just as horrible as you'd imagine. Uncertain how I'd even begin to upgrade it.
edit: will definitely upgrade that finder with a telrad in due time.

edit: Oh neat, I found it on the web http://www.telescopes.ru/product.html?cat=1&prod=7

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 4, 2012

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A machine shop should be able to widen the cutout in the tube and drill in some screw holes for you to upgrade the focuser.

That is an amazing scope. Looks like it's built well enough to be left as an outside scope. Just get a waterproof tarp and some dissecant packs for the inside.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Peoples telescope is all collimated. Now for some stuff to look at.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I should have researched this scope years ago...
http://www.astro-baby.com/TAL%20Telescope%20Rebuild/TAL%20Telescope%20Restoration.htm

An entire restoration guide. Yowza!

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I love TAL scopes, had my eye on a 100RS as a decent club visual observing scope for ages now. They are amazingly well built and should last a lifetime.

My CGEM died on me a few weeks back, glad to say though that a friend of mine was able to bring it back to life by replacing a failed MOSFET chip on the control board. Total cost of repair was £5, pretty happy with that!

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Oh You Wan Taste Rainbow? Skittle No Good Only Rice An Noodle!
Alright so I'm a noobie when it comes to astronomy but my mom got my dad a Meade ETX of some sorts about 7 years ago and I've played with it since then but I can never seem to get anything to look clear, well except for the moon.

Is it because I live near the NJ coast with NYC not far to the north? I really want to see more of the sky besides the moon.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Loztblaz posted:

It's going to be tough to get all that under $600, but I'll do my best.

You could get a NexStar 4SE for about $500, which is a smaller scope, but ticks the boxes of motorized go-to and laptop control via NexRemote software (which I have not used). You will need a laptop with a serial port, or a USB converter.

You'd also be able to add a usb camera to this setup for remote viewing. Pre-made, these start around $100 dollars, but I and others have made them out of a USB webcam, a project enclosure box from radio shack, and bits of a leftover eyepiece for around 50 bucks. This is the specific one I did: http://ghonis2.ho8.com/Pro9000mod.html There are better webcam options now though, I think Jekub posted about one a few pages ago.

You can attach a DSLR to this telescope if you purchase an appropriate adapter that fits your DSLR, but you may have difficulty using it near zenith (directly overhead) due to the telescope not having a lot of clearance on it's mount.

You can add a solar filter to this telescope as well, for around 40-50, but they appear to be discontinued and will be somewhat tough to find.

A NexStar 4SE plus all the goodies will be closer to 800, but if you shop the used market you can reduce that price.

Thanks, I'm not getting it for him until September, maybe I'll save up some more if I need to. I'll look into those.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So very very clear out today in Heber. Really thinking about bundling up this eve (should be 24º or so for a low), having a few beers and looking at jupiter swinging by venus. Really sucks that the moon is still almost full. Would love for it to go away so I could look at Orion's nebulae. :(

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I spotted a neat thing last night. I was standing outside having a smoke and noticed a really bright object that reminded me of Jupiter. However, it wasn't where Jupiter normally is. Then it faded a bit to look more like a star, and I noticed that it was moving. It was moving pretty fast, in fact! It was in view for about a minute before disappearing behind the trees. After doing some research, it turns out that I saw the second stage of an Ariane 42P rocket. :v:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So I finally got a mild night and very clear dark skies. Finally get to try out the wide field on the Orion Nebulae.

loving idiots across the way from us let their dogs out for 5 minutes, and leave their backyard floodlights on.
They do this every
loving
time
I take the dobsonian out onto the loving deck.

edit: loving A. Everyone finally turned off their backyard lights for the night. Orion was amazing. drat thing filled up most of the 82º 30mm once my eyes adjusted. I was hoping to see Andromeda, but it was too low in the sky, and the quick cooldown by the mountains really horks with the views.

edit/edit: The telrad is really showing it's worth on the quick acquisitions.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2012

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
M81 (Bodes Galaxy) and M82 (Cigar Galaxy) taken on the nights of the 18th and 19th from my back garden with a William Optics ZS66SD refractor and modified Canon 1000D. 44 x 5 minutes total exposures. The imgur link underneath is a higher res, fun for playing 'spot the galaxy', I found seven additional ones in the frame separate from the main targets.

Normally this would be a target for my 250mm reflector but that's currently not in use so I was interested to see what I could get with a small scope instead.

Galaxies M81 (Bodes) and M82 (Cigar) by tmarkuk, on Flickr

http://i.imgur.com/3yDLR.jpg

It looks like we have another clear night on the weather for tomorrow, which is ideal as I have no good reason for getting out of bed on Saturday morning, I'm quite sure my lovely wife will get up with the kids.

Anyway, this should give me a chance to photograph the supernova in M95, a pity I've not taken an image of that galaxy before to act as a reference but still it should be good if the weather holds. A wide field of that area should cover several galaxies.

We also have our society messier marathon night booked in for Saturday night if it stays clear, I'm thinking of doing a photographic marathon rather than visual.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd like to start taking part in this thread, and as my first contribution, I will tell you all why I am bouncing off walls right now.

I have always had a fascination with space, and the idea of getting a telescope has been in my mind for quite a while now. Soon, I will actually purchase it (I've promised myself no purchases until I begin my new job, but after that...)

In the meantime, I've had a lot of fun with Google Sky Map on my phone. Nothing more than pointing the phone at parts of the sky. My wife enjoys it too, and it's a lot of fun to me that we can point out Venus or Jupiter without much work lately. But tonight takes the cake. I had read over the past few weeks that this was the right time of the year to try, and sure enough tonight, I can see Saturn. I can see Saturn. I mean, there it is, 750 million miles away, but I can see it. This just blows my mind.

I can't even imagine how much cooler this will be once I get some magnification.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In the meantime, I've had a lot of fun with Google Sky Map on my phone.

I dumped Google Sky for SkEye. Seems a ton more accurate on my Nexus, and a LOT more easy on the eyes when using at night.

My advice to you after reading your post, is not to get hung up on magnification this early. Light-gathering > Magnification, IMHO. Followed up by sturdy mount. Any telescope with a sales pitch of a bazillion X power is most likely crap.

A couple weeks ago I was looking at Orion Nebula with my 10" dobsonian and with my 30mm 82º eyepiece I could see it extending beyond even THAT low a power.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Fog Tripper posted:

A couple weeks ago I was looking at Orion Nebula with my 10" dobsonian and with my 30mm 82º eyepiece I could see it extending beyond even THAT low a power.

to be fair, m42 is very big

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

multigl posted:

to be fair, m42 is very big

True. However without the aperture you do not see nearly as much of it. I personally thing seeing DSOs is > planet details. The latter is cool, mind you, but seeing nebulae (and stuff like andromeda) is much more awesome. My point is to not go hog wild on magnification up front.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

I need a little help identifying my new toy. My dad bought this slightly before he passed away back in 2007. I think he bought it in 2005/6, and we only used it a few times. I'm pretty sure this is a Celestron Nexstar 5. Shows 1250mm on the front of it.

Unfortunately i can't find any manuals at the house, and its missing the accessory tray for the tripod. I'm not sure how necessary of a piece that is, and i'm not sure where the sight for lining objects is. The only thing i can find online is for the nexstar 5SE.

Does anyone have any other information i could use about this? I'm pretty much new to all of this.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Teh z0rceror posted:

I need a little help identifying my new toy. My dad bought this slightly before he passed away back in 2007. I think he bought it in 2005/6, and we only used it a few times. I'm pretty sure this is a Celestron Nexstar 5. Shows 1250mm on the front of it.

Unfortunately i can't find any manuals at the house, and its missing the accessory tray for the tripod. I'm not sure how necessary of a piece that is, and i'm not sure where the sight for lining objects is. The only thing i can find online is for the nexstar 5SE.

Does anyone have any other information i could use about this? I'm pretty much new to all of this.

This should be the manual for that scope, which is a Nexstar 5. The accessory tray might be important if it's part of the support system for the tripod, which I think they did for some of their tripods. The stock finder is a red dot style finder, which isn't very good anyway. If you need to replace it, I'd recommend a Telrad or Rigel finder. They run around 30 bucks, and are much better.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

Loztblaz posted:

This should be the manual for that scope, which is a Nexstar 5. The accessory tray might be important if it's part of the support system for the tripod, which I think they did for some of their tripods. The stock finder is a red dot style finder, which isn't very good anyway. If you need to replace it, I'd recommend a Telrad or Rigel finder. They run around 30 bucks, and are much better.

Cool. Thanks so much. I was actually going to purchase the celestron finder but i will check out the telrad or rigel. I'm also hoping the DSLR mounts will work with this because I really want to try that out as well.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The Telrad is a very nice finder, but it's also extremely big and boxy. You should get the measurements from online and see how it will measure up on your scope. The Nexstar 5 might work better with the Rigel.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I am thinking about purchasing this scope,

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Great-Telescopes-Under-200/Orion-Observer-70mm-Altazimuth-Refractor-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/25/p/9881.uts

and I am wondering if it's a decent buy for someone just wanting to see some of the brighter stuff. I live in North GA, so it's pretty easy for me to find dark areas.

My budget right now is 150-200$ that I am wanting to spend.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Foehammer007 posted:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Great-Telescopes-Under-200/Orion-Observer-70mm-Altazimuth-Refractor-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/25/p/9881.uts

and I am wondering if it's a decent buy for someone just wanting to see some of the brighter stuff. I live in North GA, so it's pretty easy for me to find dark areas.

I'd personally pass. Anything you get new for that budget is probably going to quickly lead to frustration, followed by gathering dust. IMHO, look for a used scope with better features (stability, aperture) before you simply waste $200 on something you'll end up hating.

On a budget? Go used.
edit: Or a pair of not-crap binoculars

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

While that's better than I started with (60 mm), I'd probably go for something a bit larger. At least 80 mm for a refractor. Also, consider that you tend to get more bang for your buck with reflectors (although I like small alt-az refractors because they are easy to move and set up, and I'm not really used to an EQ mount.)

For a budget of "not much more", you should be able to find a basic 80 or 90 mm refractor for $200 or so, or a larger reflector.

For $220 + shipping, I just bought this 102 mm* Meade refractor with Autostar .
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81775?promo=search

However, I can't exactly endorse it at this time as cloudy weather set in as soon as I got it. Easy to assemble, but it is very plasticky and has the overall look and feel of a fancy toy.

*90mm tube, so it may not give the full 102 mm clear aperature.

As already suggested, if you don't already have a good pair of binocs, those are great to have and can be used for more than just astronomy.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the feedback guys, it has been most helpful. My main goal is I want to be able to look at some nebulas and galaxies and I wouldn't really like to spend more than 200$ but I have 260$ to invest.

I do like the one you posted and will probably go with that but anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Someone shared this kickstarter project with me today, and I thought it was appropriate.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/637232010/magnifi-the-worlds-first-iphone-photoadapter-case

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
This thread is amazing and all these pictures are outstanding. I have a big question though... What do you see when you actually look through the scope without processing the image at all? Like, if you have a decent telescope are you able to see Saturn and Jupiter as well as it looks in the photos?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I thought getting a telescope would be cool, and I figured there would be an Astronomy thread tucked away somewhere, and the goon hive mind would know what to do...best :10bux: ever.

Very helpful OP, but I wanted to get an idea of how you guys in urban light-polluted areas view the sky; AKA how far do you drive out of town to get to a nice, safe, viewing area. I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan myself, and there's no shortage of smaller towns/villages surrounding the area I could drive to with the telescope. I don't think I'll have very much fun (or luck) sitting on my balcony with a telescope, as comfortable as that would be.

Public land would be ideal to setup on (parks, etc.) but some of them are "closed" at night, I imagine. What do you guys do?

Also, sup INTJ Mastermind. We apparently share many interests...watches, bikes and now this.

e: cost-wise, I could probably allocate around $600 or so at the moment, as most of my funds are tied up learning how to fly. I'll check out some of the recommended scopes, but the constraining factor will be fitting into my car. Probably need to find a road case or something too for it.

Final Cause
Dec 10, 2005

Pretentious username
This is a fantastic thread and I'm always surprised by the lack of people interested in astronomy. Is there any other field where amateurs can contribute to such an extent and add so much to the sum total of knowledge?

I've been thinking about entering the field for over a year and I finally have money saved to seriously think about buying but it won't be for a long time because I want to do a lot of research and determine exactly what I want to do and what I'll need before spending what will be a lot of money.

I have a few complementary interests: camping/hiking, photo editing and astronomy/physics thanks to Sagan, Tyson and Cox I guess.

Aim

Astrophotography is very appealing to me because it combines these things. In my mind I can get a scope, travel out to a dark sky area (only 20 miles from me) and set up a tent and camp out. Then after much time and practice I would have amazing pictures of planets, stars, galaxies and nebulae to show off that I can then tweak using photoshop. After decades I'd really like to be able to contribute to astronomy through near earth object observation, or planetary climate change or discovering new objects etc.

My budget is around £700 ($1,124).

I looked at this site which of course is at the extreme end for an idea of what I'd need.

Scope

I've done some research, read this thread and sat and thought. It seems that a 200mm (8") or 250mm (10") Newtonian Reflector would give me the best cost/quality ratio. I'm told Skywatcher is a very reputable brand so I could go for this 8" scope including equatorial mount for £425 ($682)or the 10" version without mount for around £400 ($642).

For some reason 10" newts with mount included are over £1,500 ($2,400) surely if I bought the 10" above then I cound get an equatorial mount for... well I don't know because I can't find any on google to get a price comparision but surely not so expensive it takes it over £500-600 ($800-960)?

I have seen footage and stills from 8" and 10" scopes and I'm confident I can get great images.

Mount

I've read that an equatorial mount that can track objects for long exposures and better detail would be best for astrophotography. However a motorised mount pretty much doubles the cost according to my furious googling session.

So what is the longest exposure you can take without a tracking mount? I know distances effect parallax so let's take real world example. For Jupiter and Saturn would I be able to get a really clear image (assuming good viewing, clear sky, low light pollution etc) with an 8" and what would be the longest exposure I could do before movement blurred the image?

Same question goes for galaxies, which although the earth still rotates at the same speed galaxies themselves move relatively slower so I guess I'd be able to take longer exposure.

Camera

Decent looking 12Mp DSLR cameras seem to sell for a further ~£200 (~$320). What is the lowest quality or megapixel rating you can get away with for really crisp images or planets and deep sky objects? And can I apply the same answer to webcams i.e if a 12Mp camera is best is this the same for a webcam?

Remote Control

Later down the line I'm also interested in the idea of controlling the scope from a laptop in the house or when out in the field from a tent for comfort and also so I can manage the images. Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks for your thoughts. I think this could be really interesting, fun and something useful.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Here we go again. Quick recap: astrophotography places different demands on different targets. You always want a tracking mount of some sort, and the more magnification you pile on the greater the demands on accuracy & stability. Deep-space imaging takes hours & a light sensitive camera (a DSLR can do the trick, for certain, but there are more specialized, very expensive, offerings. I'd recommend a DSLR since it is multipurpose.)

However, if you want to do planetary, your priority is a big honking scope (for angular resolution) & a really fast video camera. A DSLR in some 60fps video mode might be able to do the trick, I haven't seen anybody actually doing that, however. The truly dedicated people use 120fps firewire or GigE cameras.

Lose the whole thought about parallax because you've misunderstood it and the things that will screw you is atmospheric seeing, the Earth's day cycle (at 250x magnification it appears to rotate 250x as fast, remember!), and last but certainly not least the quality of your mechanicals: tripod, motors, gears, rigidity of camera-to-scope-to-mount connection, vibration dampening. Everything Out There that isn't the moon is for all practical short-term purposes standing still; the planets do rotate, especially Jupiter, and their moons zip around like nobody's business, which puts an upper limit on the amount of stacking-and-averaging you can do to remove atmospheric distortions, but that's about it.

There is no easy rule of thumb for untracked star trails, there's too many variables (pixel size in microns, acceptable trail length, focal length, sky target angle. try exposure time = (trail length on sensor in millimeters (0.01 is a good few-pixels guess)/focal length in millimeters) / 0.00007

For 1000 mm, that's a max exposure of 1/7, 2.8 seconds on 50mm.

Amateur astrophotography is 99.995% Pretty Pictures of Nebulae, and 0.005% Contributing to Science, and that's if you blink your exposures and find an asteroid or nova or something. Just saying. Catching NEOs is about looking in a likely (or sometimes an unlikely) place for months at end and sometimes finding something that isn't a decrepit soviet spy sat.

Also, it is hell and will crush you forever and ever, like it has me. Start small. Romanticizing to yourself will just make you burn out inside of a week, but feel free to apply it to recruit equipment-carriers, it sometimes does work!

The astrophotography opportunity of literally all our lifetimes is going to be the last transit of Venus until 2117 and I'm in a pretty lovely place for it :(

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 19, 2012

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Is anything from the Orion website (https://www.telescope.com) worth looking at? Are the prices inflated? I'm looking to get something of a starter kit that is a little more advanced so I can learn to use the intermediate stuff.

Final Cause
Dec 10, 2005

Pretentious username

Wolf on Air posted:

:words:

I think you're saying yes to the 8-10" Newtonian (the bigger the better of course), yes to the equatorial mount, yes to the DSLR, but a motorised mount is a must unless I want very short exposures which is impossible for clear images which is fine. I'll save up more for it so I can do long exposure and fast fps recording.

Thanks for the help! :)

DJ Toxin
May 1, 2007

Ruse posted:

Is anything from the Orion website (https://www.telescope.com) worth looking at? Are the prices inflated? I'm looking to get something of a starter kit that is a little more advanced so I can learn to use the intermediate stuff.

That's the place that sold me my Celestron 5SE. That particular 'scope seemed priced the same pretty much everywhere I looked. If it weren't for discovering a telescope shop in my area, I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Foehammer007 posted:

I ended up buying one of these for $146.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-dob-5-compact-truss-tube-dobsonian-telescope-opticsplanet-edition.html

Buying a telescope during the rainy season in the Seattle area was a silly idea. I've only been able to use it once, but for the money I am pleased. The people on the Cloudy Nights forums seem to think pretty highly of it for what it is. Universe Today also has a review of it.

http://www.universetoday.com/90722/telescope-review-bushnell-ares-5-dobsonian-telescope-the-little-lighthouse/