Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there any word on sprint increasing 4g coverage?
As others have said, it's a weird situation. Sprint's WiMAX network hasn't seen significant expansion since December 2010. However, they're in the process of building out a 4G LTE network with the first devices to support it shipping this month.

Of course, we don't know the rollout schedule for Sprint's LTE service just yet. It probably won't have coverage that's as extensive as their WiMAX network at first, but it's supposed to cover their entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013 (correct? that's from my failing memory.)

Kingtheninja posted:

When I upgraded my phone a year and a half ago, they told me my state (WI) would be getting 4g within a few months.
Yeah they lied to you. Back when WiMAX was expanding they usually announced which markets they were going to support some time in advance, and if your market was never on one of those lists, then what they said was nothing more than a hopeful fib.

Kingtheninja posted:

Assuming this isn't going to change I'm either switching to verizon for their 4g coverage or just getting an iphone4 to avoid paying a monthly charge for a service I can't use.
The "4G tax" was changed to a "smartphone tax" quite some time ago. Even for SERO users, the iPhone costs the same per month to use as any 4G phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is just one benchmark, but to see the whole story, you have to break down the individual parts of the score. It is faster in every category, but it's two largest improvements over the Galaxy Nexus are memory and I/O speeds.

I can't personally say how much of a difference those make on Android performance, but I have always been under the impression that smartphones have been more CPU and GPU limited than by memory throughput.

I think Anandtech's Krait previews (one, two) really tell the story. The SoC that's going in the Evo 4G LTE smokes pretty much everything else out there in CPU benchmarks and can hold it's own against the Tegra 3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

God I wish I wouldn't have bought a 4S on Sprint. 3G just doesn't exist in Portland anymore. It's bullshit and they will do NOTHING to fix the problem. They won't even goddamned admit there is one, yet everyone I know on Sprint is having problems and their own forums have people with problems. I would be happy as a pig in poo poo if I even got 100kB/s. 1-10kB/s. That's between, what, 1/100th and 1/1000th their advertised speed? I wish I could take my phone, that I bought out of contract, to another carrier. loving T-Mobile on EDGE only would be better. This is really, really getting old.

Sell the iPhone to take care of whatever termination fee you have and have a bit of cash to buy a new one? Honestly, I understand people who have a blackberry or other non value phones not wanting to take on the cost, but if you have a sprint iPhone 4S 16gb, its worth $500 on eBay, especially if you have sprint unlock it first. So if you aren't happy, just switch. I can tell you that sprint just kind of discourages employees to say "oh, our Internet is terrible right now, you should go to Verizon."

LTE rollout is an unknown in terms of definitely, but for anyone in Philly, network vision is set to be completed in 1 year and two months, and LTE is strongly rumored to be active a bit before end of the year. Given they haven't announced anything on Philly yet, take that as you will.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tijag posted:

Sense 4 is significantly less intrusive to the android experience than Sense 3 was.

A half dozen trumpets at full blare are significantly less intrusive than a train whistle too.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

The Entire Universe posted:

A half dozen trumpets at full blare are significantly less intrusive than a train whistle too.

I like the improvements that Sense brings, even Sense 2.1 on a single-core phone like my Thunderbolt. But then I'm not one of those guys who gets home and downloads like ten widgets and a new launcher either.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A CDMA Galaxy Note on Sprint?

I'm guessing no, only because it would require a big redesign...not just TWO new radios (the CMDA and LTE ones,) but also a new CPU, since the current one can't do LTE.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So how does international stuff work on sprint? I want to go to montreal in august, and I'll probably have a new iphone by then (assuming the 5 comes out in the summer like they usually do).

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ddogflex posted:

God I wish I wouldn't have bought a 4S on Sprint. 3G just doesn't exist in Portland anymore. It's bullshit and they will do NOTHING to fix the problem. They won't even goddamned admit there is one, yet everyone I know on Sprint is having problems and their own forums have people with problems. I would be happy as a pig in poo poo if I even got 100kB/s. 1-10kB/s. That's between, what, 1/100th and 1/1000th their advertised speed? I wish I could take my phone, that I bought out of contract, to another carrier. loving T-Mobile on EDGE only would be better. This is really, really getting old.

Dallas has been like this for a while but they are rolling out Network Vision/LTE here now and in some places you can get actual decent speeds (NV requires fiber or microwave to every tower, most are getting gigabit). So if you are willing to wait it should get better soon. All of NV is supposed to be in place by end of 2013.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

DrBouvenstein posted:

A CDMA Galaxy Note on Sprint?

I'm guessing no, only because it would require a big redesign...not just TWO new radios (the CMDA and LTE ones,) but also a new CPU, since the current one can't do LTE.

Since when did that stop Samsung?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ddogflex posted:

I'm starting to feel the same way in Dayton/Cincinnati, OH. I keep checking network.sprint.com and see that they have TONS of planned updates in the areas I frequent...so I keep telling myself to "just wait a little longer"...but my patience is wearing thin too.

The flip side is that I have a hard time justifying paying an extra $60 per month to go to Verizon/AT&T (I pay for 2 phones on my plan - mine and my brother).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mark Larson posted:

Since when did that stop Samsung?

Knowing them we can expect a massive slide-out keyboard.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

change my name posted:

So how does international stuff work on sprint? I want to go to montreal in august, and I'll probably have a new iphone by then (assuming the 5 comes out in the summer like they usually do).
International roaming rates are lovely in every country but Canada. Before you go, activate Canada Roaming - $2.99/mo and you can "call from Canada for just 20¢/min." I don't know what that means as far as billing if someone calls you, or if you're calling a Canadian number while you're in Canada. Like Europeans, are Canadian INCOMING calls free?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

International roaming rates are lovely in every country but Canada. Before you go, activate Canada Roaming - $2.99/mo and you can "call from Canada for just 20¢/min." I don't know what that means as far as billing if someone calls you, or if you're calling a Canadian number while you're in Canada. Like Europeans, are Canadian INCOMING calls free?

Pretty sure it's both ways. And dear god don't use Internet in Canada, roaming rates are just terrible. Honestly, depending on how long one is there unlocking the 4S and popping in a sim card (Telus?) is potentially cheaper.

Or look into google once integration, that might get you cheaper calling.

Sulzanti
Jan 22, 2004

ho ho ho

ddogflex posted:

what part of Portland? I have no problems getting 100kB/s+ in any part of the Portland area I've tried, but granted if I'm downtown or in the SE I'm not messing with my phone very much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just updated to ICS on my NS4G and ho-lee gently caress it's like a whole new phone. The update does, in fact, install a new radio (I'm guessing that means the RIL) so perhaps it'll address some minor signal issues I had been noticing.

The way the SAMOLED's blacks are simply unlit pixels makes the contrast of the UI loving incredible when it comes to stuff like the clock app. Night mode on the clock app with this screen is no loving joke:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm starting to feel the same way in Dayton/Cincinnati, OH. I keep checking network.sprint.com and see that they have TONS of planned updates in the areas I frequent...so I keep telling myself to "just wait a little longer"...but my patience is wearing thin too.

The flip side is that I have a hard time justifying paying an extra $60 per month to go to Verizon/AT&T (I pay for 2 phones on my plan - mine and my brother).

In Cincinnati I haven't had any problems. My indoor 3G speeds hover around 100.4kB/s during the working hours. And indoor 4g speeds of 859.3kB/s.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Of course the update would pop up for my girlfriend when she's across the country for a week. "I just updated and everything looks different!" :sigh:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

Sell the iPhone to take care of whatever termination fee you have and have a bit of cash to buy a new one? Honestly, I understand people who have a blackberry or other non value phones not wanting to take on the cost, but if you have a sprint iPhone 4S 16gb, its worth $500 on eBay, especially if you have sprint unlock it first. So if you aren't happy, just switch. I can tell you that sprint just kind of discourages employees to say "oh, our Internet is terrible right now, you should go to Verizon."

Sprint will unlock iPhones? I thought they would only international unlock, and if the phone is taken off a Sprint account they lock it again? If I could easily switch I would at this point. Even though I would be paying quite a bit more a month. I've gotten use to having a cheap-rear end plan after 4 years or whatever.

Sulzanti posted:

what part of Portland? I have no problems getting 100kB/s+ in any part of the Portland area I've tried, but granted if I'm downtown or in the SE I'm not messing with my phone very much.

I work downtown and live in SE. :v:

I haven't seen 100kB/s in months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just updated to ICS on my NS4G and ho-lee gently caress it's like a whole new phone. The update does, in fact, install a new radio (I'm guessing that means the RIL) so perhaps it'll address some minor signal issues I had been noticing.

The way the SAMOLED's blacks are simply unlit pixels makes the contrast of the UI loving incredible when it comes to stuff like the clock app. Night mode on the clock app with this screen is no loving joke:

What do you have the brightness set to? I put mine on night mode and it doesn't look nearly as good as that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Sprint will unlock iPhones? I thought they would only international unlock, and if the phone is taken off a Sprint account they lock it again? If I could easily switch I would at this point. Even though I would be paying quite a bit more a month. I've gotten use to having a cheap-rear end plan after 4 years or whatever.

Gah, i should clarify, unlock for international only. My point on selling it still stands though, the pricing and monthly fees is for you to balance.

If it runs that well I'm debating setting mine to that (I have Cyanogen now). Anyone know if a rooted version is out yet?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

What do you have the brightness set to? I put mine on night mode and it doesn't look nearly as good as that.

Auto brightness, battery was nearly at full.

sirbeefalot posted:

Of course the update would pop up for my girlfriend when she's across the country for a week. "I just updated and everything looks different!" :sigh:

It's OK, just let her know her phone works better now :shobon:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sorry, this was a double post.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

If it runs that well I'm debating setting mine to that (I have Cyanogen now). Anyone know if a rooted version is out yet?

The only thing I noticed some sluggishness was the Chrome beta. Regular browser has no such issues.

By the way, I've noticed a bit of an issue with the touchscreen - it'll from time to time go dead for huge vertical swaths of the screen, which is fixed just by locking the phone and unlocking it (e.g. power button, then power again and unlock). It seems to be less prevalent with this update but still there. Do you know of a fix?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The only thing I noticed some sluggishness was the Chrome beta. Regular browser has no such issues.

By the way, I've noticed a bit of an issue with the touchscreen - it'll from time to time go dead for huge vertical swaths of the screen, which is fixed just by locking the phone and unlocking it (e.g. power button, then power again and unlock). It seems to be less prevalent with this update but still there. Do you know of a fix?

Hmmmm I have no idea on that one, I got that phone in a contest and never turned it on beyond basic checking.

PMing you an idea.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
If you have a launch-day 4S, it should already be unlocked for international micro-SIMs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Auto brightness, battery was nearly at full.

Hmm...I actually haven't tried auto-brightness on this phone. It's usually at 10% brightness. I suppose it wouldn't hurt the battery if I switched it to that. I've gotten caught up in micromanaging the battery life. :(

I've always had sluggishness with Chrome's beta as well. But I love it over the original ICS browser.

Have you noticed any sound fixes with ICS vs GB? I've had a weird problem in GB with the sound that got fixed in ICS.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I kind of want to trade my EVO3D for a NS4G. Am I insane-o-crazy?

I like the size difference, the weight difference, and the colors of the SAMOLED outweigh the pentile crap now that I've seen it in person for a while.

Would it be dumb to ask for trade + some cash? Surely the E3D is worth a little more than the other, even if mine is HBOOT 1.5 and all that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

I like the size difference, the weight difference, and the colors of the SAMOLED outweigh the pentile crap now that I've seen it in person for a while.

Would it be dumb to ask for trade + some cash? Surely the E3D is worth a little more than the other, even if mine is HBOOT 1.5 and all that.

I'm sure you can find people looking to trade either way, some would have a Nexus and want a 3D, some would have a 3D and want a Nexus. Craigslist is good for these kind of swaps.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

quadratic posted:

If you have a launch-day 4S, it should already be unlocked for international micro-SIMs.

"Should" being the operative word, I have no way of testing unfortunately.

To be honest, I'll probably just deal with this poo poo and hate life until the next iPhone comes out and at that point I'll jump ship. If I could magically unlock my current phone or trade it straight across for an AT&T/Verizon one I would.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ddogflex posted:

"Should" being the operative word, I have no way of testing unfortunately.

To be honest, I'll probably just deal with this poo poo and hate life until the next iPhone comes out and at that point I'll jump ship. If I could magically unlock my current phone or trade it straight across for an AT&T/Verizon one I would.

You could order an international sim/micro-sim from ebay and test it. The sim doesn't have to be active.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My new job allows me 19% off of my Sprint/Nextel bill, however, I am on EPRP. I believe EPRP is 10%, correct?

If my job's discount is better than EPRP, I'd like to switch to a normal account. How would I do this?

EDIT: Apparently, the Sprint site says I am able to apply the discount to my account but it's EPRP so I'm not 100% sure.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 11, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sirbeefalot posted:

You're not crazy, I went from the 3D to the NS4G I have now. You won't regret it in the least. Unless you think Sense is so peachy that you can't do without flinging the home screens around and watching it whirl around.

Seriously, do it. The hardware differences mean precisely jack poo poo. This phone (NS4G) was easily on par with the 3D when it had Gingerbread. Now that it has ICS, it loving flies. It seriously runs nicer than it has any right to, even with the baller-rear end phase beam live wallpaper running.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ThermoPhysical posted:

My new job allows me 19% off of my Sprint/Nextel bill, however, I am on EPRP. I believe EPRP is 10%, correct?

If my job's discount is better than EPRP, I'd like to switch to a normal account. How would I do this?

EDIT: Apparently, the Sprint site says I am able to apply the discount to my account but it's EPRP so I'm not 100% sure.

What you can do is sell me your EPRP account and transfer your phone to your new account to get the discount. Thanks, spamies AT gmail.com

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

What you can do is sell me your EPRP account and transfer your phone to your new account to get the discount. Thanks, spamies AT gmail.com
...umm, you can just sign up for eprp.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

WoG posted:

...umm, you can just sign up for eprp.

Hey, you're right:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173903

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 12, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tijag posted:

The One X is different.

People always say this about the new phone. Then they come back later complaining how it's slow or the ROM is never updated or....
Nothing ever changes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CharlesM posted:

People always say this about the new phone. Then they come back later complaining how it's slow or the ROM is never updated or....
Nothing ever changes.

Judging from the lack of a disparity in performance between my NS4G and my E3D the problem is all the poo poo the phones get weighed down with. The NS4G, on paper, has roughly half the power of the 3D, yet ran equal or better on gingerbread and runs decidedly better on ICS.

"gently caress non-nexus phones" is my new mantra for upgrades. The NS4G released on Sprint in May of last year. I could easily see myself using this phone for another year, barring anything catastrophic. I got my 3D in June or July of last year which puts my upgrade right about there anyway, give or take a fraction of an ETF.

In short, I was expecting at least a minor sacrifice in performance (regarding my daily use, YMMV.) and haven't found it yet. Given the hardware difference I would say Nexuses age very gracefully.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I switched to a NS4G from a Moment a few months ago. After having the Moment long enough to really understand what I wasn't getting (and had no chance to ever get) and playing with ~20 other phones (on all carriers) and interviewing their owners, I had concluded

"gently caress non-nexus phones"

I got the ICS update yesterday at 5:40 AM, and had a dead battery by 5 PM. I don't blame the update; I think I spent all day playing with it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the $10 premium phone charge apply on top of EPRP?

$60 a month + $10 + taxes/fees

I think I pay the same amount after my work discount with the regular plan. Still bitter that they said SERO was never getting an Android, and then literally a month after the Evo came out, SERO was allowed to have smart phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Does the $10 premium phone charge apply on top of EPRP?

$60 a month + $10 + taxes/fees

I think I pay the same amount after my work discount with the regular plan. Still bitter that they said SERO was never getting an Android, and then literally a month after the Evo came out, SERO was allowed to have smart phones.

Eprp pays the extra $10 yes.