Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Toady posted:

Someone posted this on the mailing list: Objective-C namespace proposal

Interesting. I'm not sure that the Objective-C++ namespace/module proposal wouldn't address the most common issues without the hassle but I fear to get true independence where you can avoid conflicts he is definitely right about having to modify the selector dispatch mechanism and class loader.

If dots were valid identifiers then you could go the C# route and just resolve all the references at compile time and turn all selector and class name strings into their fully-qualified equivalents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Open up the pbxproj or whatever in an editor.
I guarantee there is a stray 4.3 version switch somewhere in there.
Either a deploy target or what have you.

I've had this happen before.

grep reveals no presence of 4.0 4.1 , 4.2 or 4.3.

Its a known bug apparently. For me its solved by closing the project, opening a particular project I know seems to trigger it coming good. compiling it, re-opening the fritzed one and then it works again.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

duck monster posted:

grep reveals no presence of 4.0 4.1 , 4.2 or 4.3.

Its a known bug apparently. For me its solved by closing the project, opening a particular project I know seems to trigger it coming good. compiling it, re-opening the fritzed one and then it works again.

Did you also search for the long form versions, Eg. 40300, etc?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Did you also search for the long form versions, Eg. 40300, etc?

Trust me. Its not in there. Its a known problem with XCODE where you open a project in an earlier version ,and the version number gets lodged in its brain somehow.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Toady posted:

Someone posted this on the mailing list: Objective-C namespace proposal

What mailing list? I don't see it on objc-language@lists.apple.com or cocoa-dev?

Nevermind, I was looking at the March archive for objc-language :downs:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 5, 2012

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 18, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I would honestly just write my own server. But aside from that unhelpful advice I've no idea what would work best.

Except that not logging in to anything is awesome.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
Not sure about the match making but for data have a look at https://parse.com/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is there a way to have apple remove bad reviews? Apparently, Anderson Cooper mentioned an app with a similar name to one of mine on his show today, and people are buying mine, then giving it a one star review because it doesn't do whatever the heck the app he showed / talked about on his show did.

Anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Lumpy posted:

Is there a way to have apple remove bad reviews? Apparently, Anderson Cooper mentioned an app with a similar name to one of mine on his show today, and people are buying mine, then giving it a one star review because it doesn't do whatever the heck the app he showed / talked about on his show did.

Anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

You're mostly hosed - bad reviews don't go away. Can you edit the description and surround it by stars and say "WE ARE NOT {FGSFDS}" or something? Releasing a new version can sweep the ratings under the rug slightly as well as give you the opportunity to clarify in the description that you aren't the app that they're getting confused about.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
hosed. Edit your description and update notes to point out that you are a different app and ask people to stop giving you 1-star reviews. Or pull your app from the store for a few days.

Edit: also write the Anderson Cooper show. It is just slightly possible that a producer might feel sorry for you and they might make a correction. Unlikely but might as well ask.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ender.uNF posted:

hosed. Edit your description and update notes to point out that you are a different app and ask people to stop giving you 1-star reviews. Or pull your app from the store for a few days.

Edit: also write the Anderson Cooper show. It is just slightly possible that a producer might feel sorry for you and they might make a correction. Unlikely but might as well ask.

Hooray.

Since my app is old, my screenshots are 320x480, which is no longer acceptable, so I can't edit my description quick.... :sigh:

The good news is, if only a small percentage of people ask for refunds, I made a lot of money today.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Craigslist was a goldmine for people looking to help. Thanks for the advice, this thread!

MrPeanut
Mar 11, 2005

My word!
Have a quick question about something that I can not get past. I've looked all over for similar questions but none of them have helped. I posted on stack overflow but haven't gotten an answer yet.

I'm sending the stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString to my webview while it contains a pdf document, but I'm receiving no returned result when I ask it for the "scrollY" or "document.title". It just returns 0 or nil. I've tried doing a simple javascript function like "2+3" and that gives me the correct answer. I have the UIWebView set up as an outlet to my viewController and it loads my PDF properly.

code:
//Returns nil, and 0 regardless of its position in the document
NSString *title = [pdfView stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString:@"document.title"];
int scrollY = [[self.pdfView stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString:@"window.scrollY"] intValue];
Here is how I instantiated my webView:

code:
NSString *path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"fw4" ofType:@"pdf"];
NSURL *url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:path];
NSURLRequest *request = [NSURLRequest requestWithURL:url];
[self.pdfView loadRequest:request];
[self.pdfView setScalesPageToFit:YES];
And here is the link to the StackOverflow incase you want to answer there as well for posterity.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9829947/stringbyevaluatingjavascriptfromstring-on-uiwebview-not-working

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If a PDF is loaded, there's no DOM, so I don't know why you'd expect to get an answer from document.title. Where's the title tag?

As for window.scrollY, I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't work, but maybe it should. Best I can say is file a radar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I suppose you want to save the scrollY so you can restore it later when reopening the app/pdf?

If you're only ever displaying PDFs, maybe an NSImageView or an IKImageView (they can both show PDFs as far as I know (the latter can for sure)) will suit your needs better, you can wrap that in an NSScrollbar and get at the position pretty easily.

MrPeanut
Mar 11, 2005

My word!
I'm using the position to build a table of contents, as well as other popover information that requires the page number of the PDF.

I'll try your recommendation of the (NS/IK)ImageView with the NSScrollbar and report back. Thanks for the quick responses!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Stupid question, but why does the debugger sometimes just go to the main() function for a simple array out of bounds exception? Isn't it supposed to land on the line of code with the error?

Ozyen
Apr 12, 2003
Fatal Error: Brain Not Found
It stopped doing that at some point after Xcode 4.0. You can add an exception breakpoint for all exceptions to get it to stop before the stack unwinds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To elaborate, the exception isn't caught between where it's thrown and the end of main(), so that's why it shows there if you don't have a symbolic breakpoint on Obj-C exceptions.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thank you. I added -[NSException raise] and it's working now. It seems like an odd thing to stop doing automatically. Why did they take it out?

Actually, adding an Exception breakpoint for Exception:All worked.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 13, 2012

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Pro tip: set the objc exception breakpoint action to po $eax and you'll usually get the handy-dandy exception message right there in the debugger window when it breaks.

I'd give my left arm for Visual Studio's debugger in Xcode.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This is the kind info / tips that would be nice to have in the main op under 'Useful tips and tricks.'

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Use for third post spotted!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lord funk posted:

It seems like an odd thing to stop doing automatically. Why did they take it out?

I don't recall this behaviour ever being the default. I'm pretty sure the first Cocoa book I read even told me to set that breakpoint (back in the Tiger or Jagwyre days). I've done it ever since.

Ender.uNF posted:

Pro tip: set the objc exception breakpoint action to po $eax and you'll usually get the handy-dandy exception message right there in the debugger window when it breaks.

Nice! Thanks :)

Warder
Nov 2, 2004
I'm trying to do some green screen work on a video. I know Apple did some stuff at WWDCC with a sample app Chromakey, but they haven't posted the source. Is there any info out there on how they do it?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Warder posted:

I'm trying to do some green screen work on a video. I know Apple did some stuff at WWDCC with a sample app Chromakey, but they haven't posted the source. Is there any info out there on how they do it?

Understand that doing quality greenscreen work can be very involved and complicated. There's a reason the quality keyer plugins for VFX software are usually expensive.

With that said, if all all you need is a really basic chroma key, the basic algorithm is probably on Wikipedia. Also look up the color difference method.

Is it possible to do something like this using Quartz composer? I've never used it, but maybe give that a look too.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 13, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm having an utter headfuck of a problem right now.

I have an app that uses this library:

https://github.com/mochidev/MDSpreadView

to do a spreadsheet view (Based on a table pulled off an external DB.

I've built it into a library (With -ObjC and -all_load) because it dont do ARC and the rest of the app does.

In the simulator it works fine. In debug mode on the ipad it works fine

But in an ad-hoc build, it promptly shits itself telling me it doesnt know what setDataSource is, even though its right there in the loving code. :(

Any idea what could possibly cause this? Its a bit embarassing having this sent back with a "FAIL DUDE" from the client because I was stupid and assumed if it worked in debug it'll work in ad-hoc :(

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
When you compile for ad-hoc/release/archive over debug its going to use much more aggressive compilation optimizations. You probably have some reference somewhere that is getting released too early. Try going over stuff you are sending into your blocks maybe you are missing some __block calls. Or something similar. Or something totally different.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Instruments has some tools for tracking the retain/release calls on objects.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

duck monster posted:

I'm having an utter headfuck of a problem right now.

I have an app that uses this library:

https://github.com/mochidev/MDSpreadView

to do a spreadsheet view (Based on a table pulled off an external DB.

I've built it into a library (With -ObjC and -all_load) because it dont do ARC and the rest of the app does.

In the simulator it works fine. In debug mode on the ipad it works fine

But in an ad-hoc build, it promptly shits itself telling me it doesnt know what setDataSource is, even though its right there in the loving code. :(

Any idea what could possibly cause this? Its a bit embarassing having this sent back with a "FAIL DUDE" from the client because I was stupid and assumed if it worked in debug it'll work in ad-hoc :(

You can try just excluding those files from ARC, then the anaylzer and instruments may be more helpful. It's buried in the project options.

klem_johansen
Jul 11, 2002

[be my e-friend]
Does anybody know anybody reliable who can port an iPhonei/iPad app to Android? It's a children's game I'm working on and the client wants an estimate to port to Android devices. The handful of Android devs I know haven't replied to repeated emails & phone calls requesting a quote. It's a common problem, I understand, not exclusive to the Android community.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

klem_johansen posted:

Does anybody know anybody reliable who can port an iPhonei/iPad app to Android? It's a children's game I'm working on and the client wants an estimate to port to Android devices. The handful of Android devs I know haven't replied to repeated emails & phone calls requesting a quote. It's a common problem, I understand, not exclusive to the Android community.

Don't know anybody but basically they gotta recreate the whole thing. Even if the frameworks and libraries were identical, we're talkin different languages.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
But most of the design decisions and architectural requirements have already been worked out. Even though you have to rewrite pretty much everything, it's still significantly faster.

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008
Has anyone tried iOS development on Windows? I searched Google and found mostly outdated links on various options, none of which were particularly satisfactory. The tricky part is I'll be writing an app that integrates with the built-in camera so I need to be able to do that in an emulator to test.

Linux is also acceptable since I can just dual-boot into it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

klem_johansen posted:

Theres something called basic4android that looks like its got a fairly easy learning curve. Dunno if its any good.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

CGameProgrammer posted:

Has anyone tried iOS development on Windows? I searched Google and found mostly outdated links on various options, none of which were particularly satisfactory. The tricky part is I'll be writing an app that integrates with the built-in camera so I need to be able to do that in an emulator to test.

Its not easy at all. You'll need to find a gcc/llvm toolchain that will poo poo out apropriate binaries, along with the various libraries, then you need a jailbroken phone to run it since you cant sign it on a pc.

You pretty much *cant* do it anything for the app store or non jail broken phones though.

Also I'm not sure if IOS 5.1 has been jailbroken yet.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

CGameProgrammer posted:

VMware.

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008
It would be an app distributed in the App Store so it would need to be signed. Guess it's not really doable without buying a Mac? Hm. Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
You also won't find any emulator that simulates camera usage, only a real device will do that. Same with accelerometer and vibrate and anything else a phone does and the computer can't do.