Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If the Fusion is offered in a turbo, AWD and mantran I could see myself picking one up in a few years when the MS6 has run her course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

If the Fusion is offered in a turbo, AWD and mantran I could see myself picking one up in a few years when the MS6 has run her course.

Bad news, it almost definitely won't be offered AWD and manual.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

That's still the car I'm hoping to get later this year, pending release of some more info. They list all the engine options on the website but no power numbers yet. Meanwhile Chevy released all those figures for the 2014 Impala at the NY show and that won't be out until next spring. What gives Ford?

quote:

The standard Fusion – available in S, SE and Titanium trims – will be available with three engines. The base mill is a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated inline-four with 170 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque, mated solely to a six-speed automatic transmission. We're sure it's a fine powerplant, but our interest is more settled on the next two: a 1.6-liter EcoBoost four with 179 hp and 172 lb-ft, and the range-topping 2.0-liter EcoBoost four with 237 hp and 250 lb-ft. Both engines can be had with the same six-speed automatic, though the smaller 1.6-liter engine can be mated to a six-speed manual box. Front-wheel drive is standard across the board, but top-of-the-line Fusions with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine can be had with all-wheel drive.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

ford fusion facts

Hey that's great, where'd you get that from? They don't seem to mention it on ford.com anywhere that I've seen. Any info on weights or fuel efficiency? There's non way I'm dropping down to ~170hp so if I go this route it'll have to be the 2.0 ecoboost, at which point cost might become a factor.

Edit: found some pretty specific details on Motor Trend's March issue:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1201_2013_ford_fusion_first_look/viewall.html

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 9, 2012

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

The 1.6 Turbo/manual looks interesting. However, the way the new Escape is priced suggests to me that the 1.6 Turbo will be sold as a mid-range model. So it would probably be out of my price range.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jay-Zeus posted:

It appears that new Fusion is dropping the V6 options (3.0 and 3.5) in place of two turbocharged I4s. Not sure how I feel about that, as I was considering (among other vehicles) the AWD sport model with the 3.5. I know turbos are much better today reliability-wise, but I sort of prefer the relative simplicity of a large N/A engine.

Then again I think the up-engined midsize sedan market is shrinking now and auto makers are more often tying the more powerful engines to higher, more expensive trims. The flip side was base model with an upgraded engine but that's fading now. Dodge does offer their nice pentastar in a low-end trim of the Avenger, though, but the same setup is absent from the new 200's lineup.

Well you're in luck because Subaru has discontinued the Legacy GT. Legacy is now only available with the NA engine and CVT or the 6 cylinder.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Faceless Clock posted:

The 1.6 Turbo/manual looks interesting. However, the way the new Escape is priced suggests to me that the 1.6 Turbo will be sold as a mid-range model. So it would probably be out of my price range.

The scale is going to be something like

1.6T
2.0T
2.0T AWD

Obviously based on trims you might be able to make for instance a 2.5 cost more than a low end 1.6T. I imagine trims on the lower two engines will be S, SE, SEL with a Titanium trim on the top end for the 2.0T and the 2.0T AWD if Ford's current patterns hold true.

I imagine they'll do annoying poo poo with the stick shift versions much like they did with the Focus - lock you out of high-end options if you choose the stick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Well you're in luck because Subaru has discontinued the Legacy GT. Legacy is now only available with the NA engine and CVT or the 6 cylinder.

Woah, really? I knew that they had heavily reduced the optioning you could do on the GT but not that the were going to kill it entirely.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
So which subaru models come with a manual transmission these days, other than the wrx/sti? It seems the good old days when every suburu had stick as the default option are long gone.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

lazer_chicken posted:

So which subaru models come with a manual transmission these days, other than the wrx/sti? It seems the good old days when every suburu had stick as the default option are long gone.

Sigh... unfortunately. My fiancee has an '05 Forester and every now and then I wonder if when it comes time for that vehicle to move on to new owners if Subaru will still have something that is utilitarian (her taste) and also sporty (my taste).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

Impreza, Outback, Forester? Pretty much everything but the Tribeca (who gives a gently caress) and the Legacy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Sigh... unfortunately. My fiancee has an '05 Forester and every now and then I wonder if when it comes time for that vehicle to move on to new owners if Subaru will still have something that is utilitarian (her taste) and also sporty (my taste).

That generation Forester was also the best looking Forester. The current one is quite useful but it's also awful in that special CUV kind of way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jay-Zeus posted:

It appears that new Fusion is dropping the V6 options (3.0 and 3.5) in place of two turbocharged I4s. Not sure how I feel about that, as I was considering (among other vehicles) the AWD sport model with the 3.5. I know turbos are much better today reliability-wise, but I sort of prefer the relative simplicity of a large N/A engine.

Then again I think the up-engined midsize sedan market is shrinking now and auto makers are more often tying the more powerful engines to higher, more expensive trims. The flip side was base model with an upgraded engine but that's fading now. Dodge does offer their nice pentastar in a low-end trim of the Avenger, though, but the same setup is absent from the new 200's lineup.

Ford hasn't released any specs for a Sport/ST/SVT Fusion variant to the best of my knowledge. They took a year or so with the current Fusion to put the Sport model out, and will probably do the same with the new Fusion.

I own a 2011 Fusion Sport FWD and it's a great car for the price. The gas mileage sucks though. I see 21 mixed and 24 to 26 highway depending on how fast I'm speeding. Spirited city driving can get a tank down to 19MPG. I commute 3 days a week about 150 miles round trip each time and average around 24.5 or 25 on that trip @80mph. AWD models tend to see 1 MPG less from what I've read.

The new 2.0T in the 2013 Fusion is not designed to replace the 3.5L in the Sport model. It's designed to replace the 3.0L in the former SEL trim which will probably be renamed Titanium. The 3.0L was also an option on the SE trim as well.

The 1.6T is going to be an upgrade for folks that want a touch more MPG, similar to the EcoBoost option in the Edge and Explorer. Those EcoBoost engines are designed for better MPG, not faster speed. The 1.6L Turbo will also get the new start/stop feature as an option that might save 5% in fuel economy or something like that. Ford seems to think folks will pay a small premium for the increased fuel economy of the 1.6L EcoBoost over the 2.5L Duratec NA engine and so far they've been right (or they're just shipping EB units from the factory and people are buying them anyway).

We probably wont see a Sport/ST variant of the Fusion until 2014, and I would probably expect to see a larger EcoBoost engine in it, or a tuned 2.0L putting out more horsepower... probably on par with the Turbo Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima sedans. I've really considered looking at those as the highway MPG is impressive for a midsized sedan, but you can still have your ~270HP on tap when you need it. I've been really happy with Ford's latest products though and prefer them, so I'm waiting to see what 2014 brings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

The XV might check a few of those boxes for you. It appears to be the Outback Sport they always meant to build (but far short of the Gravel Express I wanted them to).

Shame about those wheels, though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bad news, it almost definitely won't be offered AWD and manual.

You're certainly right, but I can't see why Ford would leave that on the table. I understand that the market for those souped up sedans is small and established with solid competition (WRX). But, if Ford is aiming to get the Fusion over the 300k unit hump, then making an "SVT" version would certainly pay off. They might be able to add 10-15k/yr units for what amounts to some engine tuning and a different transmission.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It'll be an ST and if you want inspiration on what it would be like look no further than the Focus ST.

Subaru XV was gonna be auto only in NA I thought but I may have heard wrong.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

You're certainly right, but I can't see why Ford would leave that on the table. I understand that the market for those souped up sedans is small and established with solid competition (WRX). But, if Ford is aiming to get the Fusion over the 300k unit hump, then making an "SVT" version would certainly pay off. They might be able to add 10-15k/yr units for what amounts to some engine tuning and a different transmission.

They may want a model like the to give Buick a run for the money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

They may want a model like the to give Buick a run for the money.

Whatever model you were gonna write in, does that one sell well for Buick, before we start talking about competing with it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if Ford will care since Mazda's entry into that segment wasn't a success and was discontinued after two years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The XV might check a few of those boxes for you. It appears to be the Outback Sport they always meant to build (but far short of the Gravel Express I wanted them to).

Shame about those wheels, though.

It's a totally average boring shitbox Subaru should never have thought of.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

oRenj9 posted:

The problem I see with the souped up sports sedan (which I am a huge fan of!), is the cost. A SVT version of a Fusion might push the car into the 33 to 38K range, which is a complicated price range to be in. Lots of alternatives and your car really needs to stand out in a sea of sedans.

I wonder if they could ever bring some of the nice FPV/Australia models to the states. Sign me up for a Falcon XR6 Turbo.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 10, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

It's a totally average boring shitbox Subaru should never have thought of.

My mom wants one because the new forester has gotten too big and this has plenty of ground clearance for when it snows. In that sense, I think it makes sense for Subaru's prime NA markets.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My mom wants one because the new forester has gotten too big and this has plenty of ground clearance for when it snows. In that sense, I think it makes sense for Subaru's prime NA markets.

Yeah but how much better would it have been if it had adorably boxy butch styling that also maximized cargo capacity for its size?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

The problem I see with the souped up sports sedan (which I am a huge fan of!), is the cost. A SVT version of a Fusion might push the car into the 33 to 38K range, which is a complicated price range to be in. Lots of alternatives and your car really needs to stand out in a sea of sedans.
A VW Golf R starts at $33,900 - they could try to compete with that.

fake edit: the Golf R has AWD. :aaa:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of Ford, the new facelifted SHO looks like a Crown Vic.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

....drat you! I never noticed it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Also, that might help considering the Taurus police cars are coming soon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cream_Filling posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Also, that might help considering the Taurus police cars are coming soon.

Has any department adopted them yet? I was reading the 2012 Michigan State Police comparison, and it seems like the Hemi Charger is the favorite of the available police cars.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Massachusetts State Police are testing 2 Tauri and 2 Explorers.

Image borrowedstolen from here.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skipdogg posted:

Has any department adopted them yet? I was reading the 2012 Michigan State Police comparison, and it seems like the Hemi Charger is the favorite of the available police cars.

More like the only available police cars (other than the Impala) since GM has been having delays with importing the Caprice and the police Taurus is coming out this year.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

Someone needs to put the OCP logo onto that.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Friar Zucchini posted:

Saw one of those at the BCEC during PAX Sunday. Quite striking in person and dwarfs the Vics they will replace.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It'll be an ST and if you want inspiration on what it would be like look no further than the Focus ST.

Subaru XV was gonna be auto only in NA I thought but I may have heard wrong.

Yeah, about the Focus ST...when the heck is Ford going to release some info on that thing? Seems like it's been "almost done" forever, but never any more word on it. I was really excited when I first heard about it, but I'm starting to lose interest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MN-Ghost posted:

Yeah, about the Focus ST...when the heck is Ford going to release some info on that thing? Seems like it's been "almost done" forever, but never any more word on it. I was really excited when I first heard about it, but I'm starting to lose interest.

What info are you looking for?

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What info are you looking for?

A release date would be nice. Or what they are planning to sell it for.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Cool cars America doesn't get vol. 2,230: 2013 Jaguar XF Sportbrake

Profile and rear looks a little like an Infiniti FX that got stuck in a sandwich press, but it's still pretty cool. Long and low.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 15, 2012

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Oh, how I do love fast wagons. I wish Imprezas would go back to a wagon over a hatch, but it's just not going to happen. Minor quibble: I wish people didn't care about rear windows not going down fully, because those skinny pillars to split the window just throw off the look, in my opinion.

On a related note, someone recently backed a truck into my friend's CTS-V Sportwagon (with special edition paint, no less), and it just makes me a little ill. I don't know how many are out there, but it can't be very many.

edit: cell phones make typing hard

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 16, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Impreza was never what I'd call a wagon. I don't think that Jag really counts either - its definitely going for form over function.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

The Impreza was never what I'd call a wagon. I don't think that Jag really counts either - its definitely going for form over function.

What? Up until the third gen ones, they were pretty clearly wagons. As in the C pillar looked basically the same as the one on the sedan and then there was another pillar added behind it which had a similar angle to the C pillar with a distinct corner profile that presents far behind the C pillar. Also, the distance on the roof between the tops of the C and D pillars is way over 75% of the distance between the B and C pillars, which is arguably much longer than that on a hatchback. That's about as wagon as you can get. I'm willing to debate in the case of really really seriously cut out rear profiles like the Malibu Maxx or something, but the rear on the Impreza wagon isn't really that much more cut in than on, say, the Audi A4 wagon.

The jag is doing that thing where they use every designer trick possible to make it not look like a wagon - they put a big chrome trim to make the greenhouse taper (or at least look like it tapers) a lot, they put a blackout D pillar on and curve it, and they curve down the edges of the roof at the rear to narrow the greenhouse and make the roof look like it comes down a lot more than it really does by curving in more metal instead of glass along the roofline going back, and they mess around with the rear glass, too. I don't like that movement because I think wagons should look like wagons, but whatever. Also, maybe there's an aerodynamic rationale since the stuff they do with wagons nowadays looks a lot more like a kammback what with the tapering roofline that ends in an angled cut. Usually that angle gut is way too shallow, though. I guess my platonic ideal for a station wagon was formed by those boxy 80s full-size wagons, since that's what wagon meant back when I was growing up.

Basically what I'm saying is that wagons are cool and also useful and boomers need to get over themselves and admit they're old now and station wagons are now cooler than they are, or else they need to just hurry up and die already so we can take their money and buy station wagons instead of those horrible fat-looking crossover things.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hate to break it to you but I really don't think that boomers are the only reason that CUVs are so popular. I'm young and I see a shitload of my peers buying them.