Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

Yeah I've heard nothing but fantastic things about New Belgium, I mean just this list and tell me you aren't jealous.

Totally applying for an business operations position when they start posting Asheville jobs.

edit: at the end of 2014, apparently.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

mysterious frankie posted:

Can anyone confirm whether Chicago is a dead zone for this style, or do I need to look harder next time?

look in the previous Let's Talk Beer for a lot of pumpkin beer hate love(early fall, which i think is near the start of the thread). Smuttynose, Schlafly, Southern Tier Pumking, and Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin seem to be the most well-regarded of the more widely-available pumpkin ales as far as goons are concerned.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

mysterious frankie posted:

Éphémère pairs AMAZINGLY well with pork chops.

Excellent accenting. Unibroue was one of my introductions to the delicate, sweet flavors of Belgian-style beer.

And tonight I'm drinking a Helios bomber. Good saison, if a little simple. Definitely good for the price.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Troegs new digs were super nice.

My buddy and I were the only ones who signed up for a 1PM tour today, so it was pretty cool getting to walk around the brewery asking whatever we wanted, and the tour guide was amazingly helpful, and knowledgeable.

Got to sample their Sunshine Pils right from the fermenter. It's about a week away from being released, so it was "almost" done. Definitely a different taste as it wasn't filtered at that point, and was very Dreamweaver-y, yet still very Pils like.

The tour itself was really cool, mostly due to the fact that it was Tuesday afternoon, and I was the only person who had signed up, so it was just me and my friend.
Saw all their new equipment, was really impressed at the upgrades they made from the old brewery... and really liked how the whole place seemed "fun'... everyone said hi when you walked thru the brewery, and you could ask anyone what they were up to, and they would explain what their job was, and what part of it they were doing.

Saw their barrel aging room for their splinter series stuff, and got to try 3 scratch beers.

Scratch #57 - Chocolate Weizenbock. I could drink it all day. I dont' know why. It didnt' have any particularly amazing flavors, it was just well done. Chocolate came thru nicely, and it had a great finish. The guy in the gift shop said they had cases of it, up to a week or so ago :-/

Scratch #60 - Spring Fest Lager - A lot different than I expected. A hoppy lager. Was very solid. Great hop flavor (Sanz hops i believe the guy said), nice and drinkable....

Scratch #61 - Russian Imperial Stout. Reminded me of a Storm King. Hopped up RIS. Smooth chocolate/coffee notes, with a great hop finish. Not as hoppy as fresh Storm King, but more chocolatey. Really liked this one.

They opened a new restaurant where they serve actual food, the menu was getting very "Victory-ish" already, as I had a BLT, served with thick sliced bacon that they had smoked that morning outside the brewery.

While we were having the #61, a guy with a Troegs shirt sat down, and started chatting about the beer, and he had gotten a sample as he hadn't had it yet. Started talking about how he liked the beers they brew because most of them are very sessionable, and when they do make the one offs and things like Mad Elf, people seem to really go nuts for them... and he thinks there may be more "big" beers in the future.

Overall, I'd say if your'e in the area, the 'tasting tour' is worth the $5 admission. You get 30 minutes walking thru the brewery, seeing the new equipment. You get about 2 beers worth of samples, a take home pint glass that they do not sell , and it ends in their tasting room, where you can have a nice meal served by super cute bartenders

Edit : Forgot to add, they had full cases of Nugget Nectar , the last batch :) Got myself a nice case of it since everyone around here is sold out.

Vertigo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 11, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Awesome, now if only gas wasn't so expensive I would be up there now. It's pretty much $50 in gas alone there and back.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Vertigo posted:

Troegs stuff

drat, sign me up.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
After finishing my 6 Stoudt's Pils and a Victory Prima Pils is it fair to say I don't like the style? I'm very much so enjoying my Golden Monkey though, a lot spicier than I remember it being but it's still readily available at a great price, I mean $10.99 for a 6 pack of this? Yes please.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Midorka posted:

After finishing my 6 Stoudt's Pils and a Victory Prima Pils is it fair to say I don't like the style? I'm very much so enjoying my Golden Monkey though, a lot spicier than I remember it being but it's still readily available at a great price, I mean $10.99 for a 6 pack of this? Yes please.

I never found Prima to be a good beer, but people love it. That being said, I once again found that Sunshine Pils from Troegs is pretty much the only Pils I enjoy.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

My approach to beer has been that if I don't like an entire style, the problem is on my end. I mean, it's beer - it has to be good.

I didn't like pilsners for a while, probably because they reminded me of the poo poo lagers I drank for years before. I went out of my way to try new pilsners for a year or so before I really "got" the style and started enjoying them generally.

That's not to say I don't have style preferences, but a good pilsner is just perfect on a hot, sunny day.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 11, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I could see that, but I'm just starting to learn to appreciate things like Sam Adam's Summer Ale on hot days, so pilsners will have to wait while I soak up the summer seasonals! Also, Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout is a delicious bourbon barrel aged coffee forward imperial stout. I would definitely buy it again, it's got good balance to it and the oak isn't forward like you find in other beers.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Vertigo posted:

I never found Prima to be a good beer, but people love it. That being said, I once again found that Sunshine Pils from Troegs is pretty much the only Pils I enjoy.

I spent a year living in Prague in college drinking nothing but pils and Prima is a pretty drat good, by-the-books example of the style. I love it mostly because pils don't seem to travel well at all (I can never get drinkable Czech beer here in MN) so it's a great way to relive Prague, if only a little bit. Blue Paddle comes in a distant second in the category for me.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Tonight it snowed in Ohio, so I decided it was a good night for Porters, and Stouts.

I gave Samuel Smith a shot tonight, which I had previously never tried. I got a bottle of Taddy Porter, Oatmeat Stout, and Imperial Stout. All of them were really, really good, and I definitely see why people say they make phenomenal beer.

If I had to rate them in order of how much I liked them, I would say it would go: Oatmeal Stout, Taddy Porter, Imperial Stout. I liked the Imperial Stout, but I've tried so many good Imperial Stouts that it's hard to rate it too high.

I was incredibly impressed how drinkable all the beers were, with none of them clocking much above 7% abv. I often drink a glass, or two, of beer and feel like I need to stop, so I can drive home without worry about being above the limit, but I was able to drink three glasses, and felt completely fine to drive an hour later.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

Also, Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout is a delicious bourbon barrel aged coffee forward imperial stout. I would definitely buy it again, it's got good balance to it and the oak isn't forward like you find in other beers.

i actually found this to be quite an unbalanced beer- taste was all over the place and the coffee was way too much (and i'm a coffee drinker who likes coffee beers). i think it's almost a really good beer, though, with great chocolate flavor and a nice mouthfeel, so i'm gonna sit on one for a while and hope it settles down.

added: contrast Rogue's jobs page with Allagash's employment page.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 11, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
a couple of rye beers in the last couple of days:

tyranena's dirty old man... rye porter aged (40%) in rye whiskey barrels. s'okay. booze heat builds a little as you go, but in general it comes off as a mediocre rye porter. a little smokey. not bad, just not noteworthy.

boulevard's rye on rye... rye ale aged (67%) in rye whiskey barrels. excellent and recommended. a near perfect amount of booze heat. never overpowers the light-ish beer style, but works as a great compliment. i like how with this and their chocolate ale, boulevard avoids the obvious choice of doing a porter or stout and instead works with lighter ales.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

added: contrast Rogue's jobs page with Allagash's employment page.

oh goddammit. I was passed over for the Tour Guide job, got hired for an unrelated non-profit job, and now they post all the other jobs.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Vertigo posted:

Scratch #57 - Chocolate Weizenbock. I could drink it all day. I dont' know why. It didnt' have any particularly amazing flavors, it was just well done. Chocolate came thru nicely, and it had a great finish. The guy in the gift shop said they had cases of it, up to a week or so ago :-/

I had this and didn't particularly enjoy it even though it sounded great on paper. The chocolate definitely came through perfectly, but I think the base weizenbock was a little too dry and that didn't play well with the fruit.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

CalvinDooglas posted:

oh goddammit. I was passed over for the Tour Guide job, got hired for an unrelated non-profit job, and now they post all the other jobs.

Sorry you missed out on tour guide, but grats on the new job.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

People comparing this Sneaky Pete's to Hopslam is going to cause me to pick up a bottle after work today.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I went to a meatballs and beer festival put on by these guys in Manhattan last weekend and was totally blown away (literally, figuratively, etc).

Here's the full beer list:
Pale Ales/Amber Ales
Two Brothers Bitter End
21st Amendment Bitter American
Bronx Pale Ale
Empire Amber

IPA’s
Two Brothers Cane & Ebel
Green Flash Hop Head Red
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
Dogfish Head Aprihop
Empire Rye IPA
Ithaca Flower Power

Black IPA’s
21st Amendment Back in Black

Double IPA’s
Oskar Blues Deviant Dales
Green Flash Palate Wrecker
Captain Lawrence IIPA
DFH 120 min

Belgian Style IPA’s
Ommegang BPA

Belgian Golden Ales
La Trappe Isi'dor
Ithaca White Gold
Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold

Belgian/American Strong Ales (dark, malty, etc.)
Kulmbacher Eisbock
Weyerbacher Quad
Dogfish Raisin D'Etre

Brown ales
Cigar City Maduro Oatmeal Brown
DFH Indian Brown

Rye beers
Founders Reds Rye

Pilsners
Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils
Victory Prima Pils
Smuttynose Vunderbar
Victory Braumeister

Seasonals
Greenport Harbor Spring
Anderson Valley Summer Solstice
Blue Point Spring

Lagers
Sunner Kolsch
Stoudt's Kolsch

Ciders
Farnum Hill Dooryard
Doc's Framboise
Original Sin Newton Pippin
Original Sin Newton Pippin Cherry

Gluten Free
DFH Tweason Ale

Saisons
Sly Fox Saison Vos
St. Feuillien Saison
Stillwater Stateside
Stillwater As Follows
Saison Dupont

Sours
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Ommegang Aphrodite

Fruit beers
Blue Point Blueberry
Ithaca Apricot Wheat

Barley Wines
21st Amendment Lower de Boom

Tripels
Victory Golden Monkey
Allagash Curieux
Allagash Tripel

Wheat beers
Lagunitas Doppelweizen
Ommegang Witte
Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss
Southern Tier Hop Sun

Porters
Avery New World Porter
Founders Porter
Ballast Point Black Marlin

Stouts
Keegan Mother's Milk
Left Hand Fade to Black 3
Ballast Point Sea Monster

Biere de Gardes
Flying Dog Garde Dog
Southampton Biere de Mars

Smoked beers
Kelso Rauchbier barrel aged
Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter

Pins/Firkins
Dogfish Head 75 Min
Lagunitas Imperial Stout
Ballast point sculpin
Ballast Point Tongue Buckler
Wandering Star Mild at Heart
Wandering Star Rude Bo

The real standouts of the night for me were the Ommegang Aphrodite, Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter, Lagunitas Imp Stout Firkin, and both Ballast Point IPAs on firkin. Sculpin in particular was great as usual, but I liked how the cask conditioning brought out more tropical flavors than even the bottled version has.

I was also able to confirm that 120 minute IPA does indeed still suck.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Bottle shop has firestone walker xv and firestone walker sucaba

$30 each.

ARe these worth buying at this price?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Vertigo posted:

$30 each.

That's a loving price gouge.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

I didn't like pilsners for a while, probably because they reminded me of the poo poo lagers I drank for years before. I went out of my way to try new pilsners for a year or so before I really "got" the style and started enjoying them generally.

Exactly the same for me. I spent a lot of time disliking pilsners, then one day one just clicked with me for whatever reason and now I drink them all the time. A German friend left some Warsteiner lager at my houe a while back, and it was the perfect thing to drink while homebrewing last weekend. Refreshing, hoppy, balancing malt sweetness, and only 4.8%.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

ShaneB posted:

That's a loving price gouge.

yeah. I got XV for ~20 and sucuba for ~15 in NJ

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, I guess they dont' exactly distribute those beers to this area, so it's like 3rd party stuff ...

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Vertigo posted:

Yeah, I guess they dont' exactly distribute those beers to this area, so it's like 3rd party stuff ...

Also, illegal!

intangir
Oct 22, 2008

Schpyder posted:

In other GR beer news, I stopped by Vivant on the way home from work today, and they're canning both the Zaison and their Tripel. Both are awesome. Also, if one of you goons stop by and they still have the wood-aged Triomphe on tap, try it, because holy poo poo. It's goddamn amazing.

Thanks for the reminder about the Zaison and the Tripel, I had heard they would be canning it but totally forgot about it. Will have to stop by tonight and pick some up to celebrate getting a raise. May need to try the Triomphe as well, that sounds great.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Mikey Purp posted:

Lagers
Sunner Kolsch
Stoudt's Kolsch

Kolsches are ales, not lagers.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
True that and good eye. I didn't notice the mistake myself.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kudosx posted:

Tonight it snowed in Ohio, so I decided it was a good night for Porters, and Stouts.

I gave Samuel Smith a shot tonight, which I had previously never tried. I got a bottle of Taddy Porter, Oatmeat Stout, and Imperial Stout. All of them were really, really good, and I definitely see why people say they make phenomenal beer.

I have such a love-fest with the Oatmeal Stout every time I buy it. It's a great value beer to me.

funkybottoms posted:

i actually found this to be quite an unbalanced beer- taste was all over the place and the coffee was way too much (and i'm a coffee drinker who likes coffee beers). i think it's almost a really good beer, though, with great chocolate flavor and a nice mouthfeel, so i'm gonna sit on one for a while and hope it settles down.

Which release # did you have? I had a bottle of release one which was bottled in September of 2011, though it was brewed in December of 2010 and added to the barrels in June I believe, so the coffee flavor definitely was a bit mellow but still prominent. It was as if the coffee was sitting on-top of a semi-sweet oak, cocoa, and bourbon that played a supporting role to the coffee. From my experiences coffee flavor falls off pretty fast, I drank a Wake and Bake from the latest release and it lost a lot of the far too forward coffee flavor to me.

Vertigo posted:

$30 each.

If you have the money both are very good beers, but I would recommend going in on a bottle with a friend as they're both hard to drink a whole bottle of alone in my opinion. It sucks you're being gouged though.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I'd probably share it with someone, especially at that price. I guess my issue is the $30 price tag on it. Thats a chunk of change for something as "trivial" as a bottle of beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

I'd probably share it with someone, especially at that price. I guess my issue is the $30 price tag on it. Thats a chunk of change for something as "trivial" as a bottle of beer.

if this was your only chance ever to buy a Parabola, i'd say go ahead, but for these... no, not unless you're a barleywine fiend.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

if this was your only chance ever to buy a Parabola, i'd say go ahead, but for these... no, not unless you're a barleywine fiend.

I kind of agree, Parabola is something pretty special, while Abacus I was indifferent with. XV was really nice to try and I have a second bottle aging, but I wouldn't buy another. Parabola I'll buy every time I see it though, which will be a lot next month since New Jersey gets an overload of FW stuff. Seriously there are places with unopened XV cases on display.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, i could see doing that for parabola, which is better than either of these.

i stopped at a local shop last night (famous liquors in forest park, for you chicago folks) and they still had bottles of XV for $17 and sucaba/abacus for $14. both are well worth it for those prices, especially abacus, which i think is one of the best barley wines i've ever had.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Ok... awesome. I'll pass on both then. I spent that much money on a beer, one other time, and it was the Angel's Share ... I felt underwhelmed beause it just didn't taste like a $27 beer to me...

Going out to one of my favorite bars I haven't gone to for a long time tonight for dinner...

This is tonite's tap list

quote:

GOOSE ISLAND INDIA PALE ALE
SPATEN PILS
FRANZISKANER HEFE WEISSE
AVERY WHITE RASCAL
KONA KOKO BROWN ALE
VICTORY ECLAT COCOA LAGER (NITRO)
IRON FIST THE GAUNTLET DOUBLE IPA
TROEGS JAVAHEAD STOUT
CLOWN SHOES SUPA HERO DOUBLE IPA
YUENGLING LAGER
HALF ACRE DAISY CUTTER
CHIMAY CINQ CENTS
FOUNDERS BREAKFAST STOUT
LINDEMANS PECHERESSE
CISCO LADY OF THE WOODS
SPRING HOUSE BIG GRUESOME
SPRING HOUSE MANGO IPA

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

yeah, i could see doing that for parabola, which is better than either of these.

i stopped at a local shop last night (famous liquors in forest park, for you chicago folks) and they still had bottles of XV for $17 and sucaba/abacus for $14. both are well worth it for those prices, especially abacus, which i think is one of the best barley wines i've ever had.

One local store is charging $26 for XV and I don't think they ever got Sucaba at all. I would buy XV at $17 in a second if it were available to me, as I really enjoyed it when I had it on tap a couple weeks ago.

When does Parabola come out?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Vertigo posted:

This is tonite's tap list

drink yuengling the whole time and call everyone hippies

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I've never heard of Clown Shoes or Spring House. Are they newer breweries, or recently expanding, or am I just not up on things?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

One local store is charging $26 for XV and I don't think they ever got Sucaba at all. I would buy XV at $17 in a second if it were available to me, as I really enjoyed it when I had it on tap a couple weeks ago.

When does Parabola come out?

FW's site says may is the release month, so probably headed east by june or july. that's about the time chicago saw it last year (maria's in bridgeport and poor phil's in oak park both had it on tap one especially drunk weekend in july last year). i've only seen it on the shelves once last year and bought that bottle.

pricing for FW stuff seems all over the place. when the first bottles of XV hit in late 2011, i paid $22. the famous by me is still charging $17. sucaba is $14 by me, but i've seen as high as $27 (at maria's). i bought a few bottles at a whole foods for $15.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I've never heard of Clown Shoes

meh. i've never had anything particularly good from them and their clementine was kind of straight-up bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Decided to go beer shopping today to a store I don't frequent often, found a Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac Aged, a bit pricey but I figured why not. I also found a case+ of Struise Pannepot from 2011. I picked up a few for $6 and will be aging a few.