Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided on the Baratza Virtuoso and the Saeco Aroma. I'll definitely be making more milk-based drinks, at least initially, so it sounds like they should do a fine job for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
hey guys.. I've been roasting my own beans, grinding with a Maestro, and brewing them with the CCD. Life has been good.

I bought an aeropress because it looks novel and I like the idea of a quick cleanup and a very fast brew... I've tried it twice and I'm getting a very strong cup with a slightly bitter front / sweet back kind of flavor (Ethiopian Illubabor beans from Sweet Marias @ City+). Can someone tell me what this is? Is it over extraction? I don't really know how to classify it. This is going to sound dumb, but the original color is gorgeous and deep, reflective of what a "strong cup of coffee" looks like. I didn't like the flavor, so I diluted it with another 2-3oz of water. The color is still rich, and the sweet "finish" has kind of gone away, but the rich flavors are missing as well.

Help me not abandon my Aeropress. I'm following the inverted instructions here (I don't like the idea of stuff leaking through while I'm steeping or whatever, so I've only tried the inverted thus far)

-14 grams of beans, ground fine (5 clicks from the finest that the Maestro will go)
-6 fl oz or so of filtered water
-stir 45-60 seconds
-press 20-30 seconds

Is my grind too fine? Thanks coffee geeks!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can anyone recommend any decent Decafs that aren't wildly expensive, maybe even cheap? Non-flavored of course. I'm not super snobby, I generally just drink Community Coffee French Roast, but it'd be nice to have something coffee to drink at night without not being able to sleep.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent Decafs that aren't wildly expensive, maybe even cheap? Non-flavored of course. I'm not super snobby, I generally just drink Community Coffee French Roast, but it'd be nice to have something coffee to drink at night without not being able to sleep.

The only decaf I've run across so far that was decent was the Green Mountain "Fair Trade Organic House Blend Decaf," which I've found not to be that much worse that most regular stuff I can buy around here and better than most stuff that I can get at a normal grocery store. It is just a tad weaker than normal beans I think.

How cheap were you looking for?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VulgarandStupid posted:

The problem with decaf is that because a lot of the flavor gets processed out, you need to start with extremely high quality beans.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Hello coffee-goons, my dad's cuisinart grind & brew recently died and I am in search of a good replacement to get him as a late birthday present. Taft Punk kindly reminded me that there's a coffee thread, so after reading I've come down to two choices: Bonavita and Zojirushi Fresh Brew.

Steve Yun linked to these two makers as well in the General Questions thread, so I'm pretty much kinda :ohdear: about choosing between them. I am leaning towards the Zojirushi because of the two, it has the automatic brew timer that's important to him right now but the Bonavita seems to be something he would appreciate more long term as he gets more and more into making good coffee at home.

For an entry level coffee person, which would be a better long-term machine?

edit: vv My dad is a factory worker, so his hours kinda cockblock fresh grinding in the morning because it's 3 am. That's the reason he's really into a timer at the moment. It's a little bit baby steps with regards to him and coffee, so the fresh ground coffee thing is the goal for later this year when he goes back to 2nds regularly.

1up fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 9, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Bonavita is pretty much inarguably better.

The Zoji is nice for a cheap auto-drip.

Pregrinding and setting a timer for brewing (the next morning?) defeats the purpose of using fresh ground coffee.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

1up posted:

edit: vv My dad is a factory worker, so his hours kinda cockblock fresh grinding in the morning because it's 3 am. That's the reason he's really into a timer at the moment. It's a little bit baby steps with regards to him and coffee, so the fresh ground coffee thing is the goal for later this year when he goes back to 2nds regularly.

Back in college when I had roommates, I put my grinder in the garage so I could use it when I had early classes without waking up the whole house. I've also done similar in an apartment situation by using it in the bathroom. Then just bring the hopper of ground beans to the coffee maker.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I picked this up earlier today from a guy off craigslist on the cheap:

It's the made-in-Japan version, brand new in the box and sealed. He'd bought it from a defunct restaurant supply store that went under, thinking it was for tea. :downs:

There's a local coffee shop here that uses these guys and they look cool as hell while they're brewing but I've never actually used one myself. I've read that alot of people are using re-usable glass drains out of Cona siphons in the Yama and Hario brewers. Anybody in here use one of these before?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ephori posted:

I picked this up earlier today from a guy off craigslist on the cheap:

It's the made-in-Japan version, brand new in the box and sealed. He'd bought it from a defunct restaurant supply store that went under, thinking it was for tea. :downs:

There's a local coffee shop here that uses these guys and they look cool as hell while they're brewing but I've never actually used one myself. I've read that alot of people are using re-usable glass drains out of Cona siphons in the Yama and Hario brewers. Anybody in here use one of these before?

I own the Yama version of the one you bought there and I love it. I don't use the glass drain though, I use the chain filter that came with it along with the circular cloth filters that you can buy for it. It ends up with a nice clean cup with both filters. I really like the coffee it produces, it's somewhere between a drip and french press. What size is that one? I have the 5-cup version.

As for some tips, you want your brew time at around 60-70 seconds once the water has all reached the top and make sure you start with hot water in the bottom vessel. I heat it up to just shy of boiling before starting.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1up posted:

Hello coffee-goons, my dad's cuisinart grind & brew recently died and I am in search of a good replacement to get him as a late birthday present.

The SCAA has a list of their certified brewers here(including the Bonavita):

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ordered a Baratza Encore for pour over duty. Will replace my poor warn out KitchenAid.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

dhrusis posted:

hey guys.. I've been roasting my own beans, grinding with a Maestro, and brewing them with the CCD. Life has been good.

I bought an aeropress because it looks novel and I like the idea of a quick cleanup and a very fast brew... I've tried it twice and I'm getting a very strong cup with a slightly bitter front / sweet back kind of flavor (Ethiopian Illubabor beans from Sweet Marias @ City+). Can someone tell me what this is? Is it over extraction? I don't really know how to classify it. This is going to sound dumb, but the original color is gorgeous and deep, reflective of what a "strong cup of coffee" looks like. I didn't like the flavor, so I diluted it with another 2-3oz of water. The color is still rich, and the sweet "finish" has kind of gone away, but the rich flavors are missing as well.

Help me not abandon my Aeropress. I'm following the inverted instructions here (I don't like the idea of stuff leaking through while I'm steeping or whatever, so I've only tried the inverted thus far)

-14 grams of beans, ground fine (5 clicks from the finest that the Maestro will go)
-6 fl oz or so of filtered water
-stir 45-60 seconds
-press 20-30 seconds

Is my grind too fine? Thanks coffee geeks!

Tried again with a more coarse grind. Coffee was way better.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I've got $120 in rebate cards to spend, and I was thinking about buying my own coffee stuff since I won't be able to use my brother's next semester. I'm also toying around with the idea of roasting my own coffee, since I'll be able to do it for my roommates and family, but I don't know if I'll be able to deal with the smoke indoors. Will just about any range hood be enough to take care of whatever fumes/smoke that comes out while roasting?

What I'm thinking about right now:
Aeropress or equivalent ($25), will also have a cheap drip maker for lazy times
Aroma Kettle ($30), will also use for tea
Hand burr grinder or blade grinder, ($30)
Home roasting kit from Sweet Maria's ($40)

Does this all seem like a decent setup to start with?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've got $120 in rebate cards to spend, and I was thinking about buying my own coffee stuff since I won't be able to use my brother's next semester. I'm also toying around with the idea of roasting my own coffee, since I'll be able to do it for my roommates and family, but I don't know if I'll be able to deal with the smoke indoors. Will just about any range hood be enough to take care of whatever fumes/smoke that comes out while roasting?

What I'm thinking about right now:
Aeropress or equivalent ($25), will also have a cheap drip maker for lazy times
Aroma Kettle ($30), will also use for tea
Hand burr grinder or blade grinder, ($30)
Home roasting kit from Sweet Maria's ($40)

Does this all seem like a decent setup to start with?

I would get at least a capresso infinity, I wouldn't use a hand burr grinder as a main grinder, and with that budget, I'd skip the blade altogether. As far as roasting is concerned, you really only need the whirley pop to get started, and you can get those at thrift stores for, like, $5, maybe even try posting a freecycle "wanted". As far as brew methods are concerned. I think a cheap melitta filter cone is just fine, you can get them almost anywhere for about $5. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your filters.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I've been using my gaggia evolution espresso machine and my baratza vario to make some espresso. It's very nice to be able to do it myself. I have a question about tamping and the espresso pucks.
Mine never knock out easily, I usually have to dig them out. I never see any sounds of channeling when I look at my used pucks, so I dont think I'm under tamping it. Is not being able to knock the pick out easily a sign of using too much force? Usually the machine needs about five seconds of pressure pumping before the espresso emerges from the porta filter. I am using the non pressurized double shot filter that came with the machine.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would get at least a capresso infinity, I wouldn't use a hand burr grinder as a main grinder, and with that budget, I'd skip the blade altogether. As far as roasting is concerned, you really only need the whirley pop to get started, and you can get those at thrift stores for, like, $5, maybe even try posting a freecycle "wanted". As far as brew methods are concerned. I think a cheap melitta filter cone is just fine, you can get them almost anywhere for about $5. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your filters.

Okay, so let me fudge with some stuff then:
Melitta cone ($9)
Aroma Kettle ($30)
Capresso Inf. or Refurb Baratza ($90)
Whirley Pop ($0-$20)
Total: $129-149

That and if I can't find a whirley pop for < $20, get the kit from maria's because it comes with beans?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Melitta cone ($9)
Aroma Kettle ($30)
Whirley Pop ($0-$20)

That and if I can't find a whirley pop for < $20, get the kit from maria's because it comes with beans?

Sure, if you're impatient, or you can just keep searching. I just did a search on CL and found 2 for around $10 near me. Then just buy samplers from SM, their sampler deals are awesome. Good luck!

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

As far as brew methods are concerned. I think a cheap melitta filter cone is just fine, you can get them almost anywhere for about $5. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your filters.

Do you use the same level of technique with these that you would with something like the Hario, or does the smaller hole make it more forgiving?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, if you're impatient, or you can just keep searching. I just did a search on CL and found 2 for around $10 near me. Then just buy samplers from SM, their sampler deals are awesome. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep an eye out for cheap poppers around, but I doubt anything will come up on craigslist because if a college student wouldn't have it, it's probably not on craigslist anywhere near here and saving $20 on it isn't worth hours searching for it. Last question: would I get a better value buying the capresso or waiting around for a refurb baratza maestro/encore?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

a handful of dust posted:

Do you use the same level of technique with these that you would with something like the Hario, or does the smaller hole make it more forgiving?

I find the smaller hole is more forgiving on technique yes...

(still talking about coffee, really) :v:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep an eye out for cheap poppers around, but I doubt anything will come up on craigslist because if a college student wouldn't have it, it's probably not on craigslist anywhere near here and saving $20 on it isn't worth hours searching for it. Last question: would I get a better value buying the capresso or waiting around for a refurb baratza maestro/encore?

Before the line up switch I would've said that waiting for a refurb baratza was a sure thing. Now...well I'm not so sure. They're very communicative though, you should shoot them an email: "Hey, just wondering if there's any likelihood of one showing up anytime soon."

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Melitta cone ($9)
Aroma Kettle ($30)
Whirley Pop ($0-$20)

Definitely a serviceable set up. I've had a Capresso for four years now and it works well for it's price. My main gripe is that it's on the louder side for a grinder. The basket isn't anit-static so if you're grinding a lot of beans it can start to move out a bit, but if you're just brewing for yourself, this won't really be much of a problem.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Hello coffee goons!

After using an Aeropress exclusively for the last few months and really enjoying the coffee it makes, I got sick of heating a mug of water at a time in the microwave and picked up one of these Panasonic hot water pots:

It boils, then keeps the water at 180 degrees, almost perfect for Aeropress brewing. One question, though... how long can you keep water in it? Like, if there's water left at the end of the day, can I safely leave it in the pot, then reboil it in the morning?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Larry Horseplay posted:

Hello coffee goons!

After using an Aeropress exclusively for the last few months and really enjoying the coffee it makes, I got sick of heating a mug of water at a time in the microwave and picked up one of these Panasonic hot water pots:

It boils, then keeps the water at 180 degrees, almost perfect for Aeropress brewing. One question, though... how long can you keep water in it? Like, if there's water left at the end of the day, can I safely leave it in the pot, then reboil it in the morning?

You could, but using water fresh from the tap is typically better just because boiling it can concentrate the impurities in the water, assuming you're not using filtered water and also water loses oxygen content when repeatedly boiled which can affect the taste as well. Impurities in the water can also settle to the bottom and may end up causing problems in the machine. Similarly I empty the water reservoir of my espresso machine after each use and add filtered water to it before using it.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

rockcity posted:

You could, but using water fresh from the tap is typically better just because boiling it can concentrate the impurities in the water, assuming you're not using filtered water and also water loses oxygen content when repeatedly boiled which can affect the taste as well. Impurities in the water can also settle to the bottom and may end up causing problems in the machine. Similarly I empty the water reservoir of my espresso machine after each use and add filtered water to it before using it.

Thanks, that's really good to know. It looks like you can fill this model up halfway without it overheating, so I can toss in just enough water to use for a workday without having to let it sit or waste a bunch of water every day.

Just made the first cup with it and it is so much easier. My wife was like "ANOTHER kitchen gadget?" when it came in the mail yesterday, but it's really useful. Now I just have to find a place to put it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Larry Horseplay posted:

My wife was like "ANOTHER kitchen gadget?"

Sounds like my girlfriend. I get yelled at any time I buy anything new because we've been out of room several gadgets ago. I turned one counter into a "coffee bar" area just so I could keep stuff out. There's not a ton of stuff out, but I keep my roaster, espresso maker, grinder and vac pot out on the counter. I'd love to add an awesome water heater like that to the area, but I'm pretty sure I'd get yelled at. I have a hard time justifying the cost for a good one too, though I know if I had it I wouldn't look back.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

rockcity posted:

Sounds like my girlfriend. I get yelled at any time I buy anything new because we've been out of room several gadgets ago. I turned one counter into a "coffee bar" area just so I could keep stuff out. There's not a ton of stuff out, but I keep my roaster, espresso maker, grinder and vac pot out on the counter. I'd love to add an awesome water heater like that to the area, but I'm pretty sure I'd get yelled at. I have a hard time justifying the cost for a good one too, though I know if I had it I wouldn't look back.

This one was 66 bucks on Amazon, much cheaper than the Zojirushi (I have one of their rice cookers, and I love it, but didn't want to spend $150 on a water heater) and got really good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NC-EH22PC-Quart-Electric-Thermal/dp/B0013O8J6Y/ref=cm_rdp_product

Can't help you with the counter-space problem though ;)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got a Bialetti 6-cup Moka pot that's seen a lot of use. The funnel piece has warped a little bit (probably from years of banging against the trash can), and the rim no longer sits flush with the edge of the piece that holds the water, resulting in some of the water escaping from the funnel back into the bottom part, bringing coffee grounds with it. I'm faced with the choice of buying a replacement funnel or just buying a whole new thing.

I found this site: http://www.espressozone.com/stovetop-espresso-maker-funnels-FNL.aspx
Are they reputable? They recommend the FN-206 for my model, will that work? Should I bother paying the ~$10 for a funnel, or just buy something newer and cooler?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Finally got to the point where my first round of green beans was running out. Just ordered a 4lb sampler from Sweet Marias. We'll see how their coffee compares to what I had to begin with.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked up the stovetop version of the Bonavita Kettle:

Kicks rear end at pouring, sucks at boiling water. It sounds like a freight train and takes almost twice as long to boil water as my old Kitchenaid kettle. I wish I'd sprung for the electric version.

It also feels like something that would cost $10 if ikea carried it, but then again so does the Buono(at least to me).

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

This looks very promising.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Astronaut Jones posted:

I know enough about control theory to know that the "Power Controlled Temperature Glide" was made by someone who knows nothing about control theory.

I also feel like I have learned enough from this thread to know the rest is total bullshit.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Astronaut Jones posted:

Depends what the price point is. Google says $159. It's a contender if they can deliver on half of the promises. Behmor is a legit coffee company who makes one of the better home roasters, so it wouldn't surprise me if it made good coffee. Some of the features makes me :crossarms: though. The alarm thing and the basket filters, for instance, they should know better. At this price, it will come down to who makes better coffee between this and the Bonavita BV1800. If you ask me, I'd have the Bonavita. I just think it looks better, more streamlined, and has fewer things that bother me.

Nevertheless, this is a good sign. We're on track for a good quality, feature rich auto drip coffee maker in the ~$100 range by a DeLonghi, a Bodum, or a Breville sometime soon, I think.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 13, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How long does Sweet Maria's take to ship? My order is still processing from last Wednesday. Maybe I'm just used to Amazon's ridiculous shipping.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Doh004 posted:

How long does Sweet Maria's take to ship? My order is still processing from last Wednesday. Maybe I'm just used to Amazon's ridiculous shipping..
My order shipped 2 days after I ordered, partly because I ordered late at night. Their site says orders should ship anywhere from 24 and 48 hrs (on business days) after you order.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Doh004 posted:

How long does Sweet Maria's take to ship? My order is still processing from last Wednesday. Maybe I'm just used to Amazon's ridiculous shipping.

I've never had an order take that long to ship. Maybe one of the items isn't in stock or something? Send them an e-mail, they are pretty friendly and helpful.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, an hour after I posted that I got the email saying it was shipped. I must have just gotten unlucky with the timing and missed the Friday cutoff. No worries, I still have coffee to drink while I wait for more supplies.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Just a general contribution, and question, for the thread:

In the Netherlands we have a traditional product called "Buisman". It's a flavor enhancing coffee additive sort of like chicory. Buisman is a powdery substance made from burnt glucose syrup and molasses.

Typically, a teaspoon or two/three are added to ground coffee right before it is brewed, but a teaspoon may also be added to the coffee as it is served. Buisman usually gives coffee a spicier and richer flavor, and mitigates bitterness.

I quite like the taste of Buisman in coffee, but the product is considered pretty old-fashioned and outdated by most of the Dutch.

Are products similar to Buisman available abroad? And more in general, what are generally considered to be good coffee additives for people who like nothing but black coffee?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Rather than looking for an additive, you might want to look into a coffee region that naturally produces a spicier tasting coffee. Ethiopia comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Super happy with my Baratza Encore. Night and day compared to my worn out KitchenAid. Way more consistent.