Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

HateTheInternet posted:

I have never seen this show until a couple years ago, so as someone without nostalgia goggles I can say that Twin Peaks has one of the most dated intros I've ever seen. It always feels like I'm in middle school chemistry class about to watch slides from the '60s.

That's deliberate.

David Lynch knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

DrBouvenstein posted:

From 1997 - 2001, every senior class awards ceremony, or "banquet", or whatever you call it, ended with a slide show or PowerPoint presentation filled with pictures of the graduating seniors (a mix of candid shots, yearbook photos, and kid/baby photos) set to "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Greenday.

Every. Single. One.
I graduated high school in 1999 and we were banned from using the song in our ceremony because it was so clichéd by then.

Deacon of Delicious posted:

For the early 90s, there's I've Got the Power by Snap!. Turns out, Snap! was from Germany. I never knew.
Out of all the German Eurodance groups that hit big in the 90s, the Real McCoy was the best:

Another Night
Run Away
Automatic Lover

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

GonzoRonin posted:

I can't be the only one who vaguely remembers this awfulness, although it's slightly pre-90's: http://youtu.be/v37spLnZmuY

I have a picture with the entire side of my dad's family taken in X-Mas '89--the only extant one--that I believe is ruined due to me wearing a Rude Dog sweatshirt.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

rockinricky posted:

I read somewhere not too long ago, schools banned TrapperKeepers because kids would keep opening and closing the Velcro closures they had, and it was really distracting. Teachers got pissed, TrapperKeepers got banned. I never experienced this myself because I graduated in 1980. We had binders with the 'pinch-proof' plastic rings that opened and closed with a slider thing.

That makes sense. After some Googling it seems the main reasons are a combination of the safety/distraction issues and them being too big to fit in desks.

On a completely different note and over a week late: March 31 marked seventeen years since Selena's murder. "Dreaming of You" still depresses me whenever I hear it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DrBouvenstein posted:

From 1997 - 2001, every senior class awards ceremony, or "banquet", or whatever you call it, ended with a slide show or PowerPoint presentation filled with pictures of the graduating seniors (a mix of candid shots, yearbook photos, and kid/baby photos) set to "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Greenday.

Every. Single. One.

I got an even better one. Back in the 90's a local town's little league won the national championship. So to celebrate a radio station made their own remix of "Good Riddance" that spliced in sound clips of parents and kids cheering and congratulating the team.

They also made a remix of "Who Let the Dogs Out" featuring the state hockey team.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

CLOSING TIME...

I saw American Reunion on the weekend and totally expected this song would play in the movie. It's like the go-to song if you want to remind people of the late 90s.
I recently watched the original American Pie and it felt almost like a deliberate time capsule of the overplayed songs of the late 1990s, with stuff like "Semi-Charmed Life," "One Week," "Flagpole Sitta," and more.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

DrBouvenstein posted:

Every. Single. One.

I don't remember all that well, but I'm pretty sure you could also add Vitamin C's "Graduation Song" to that. I'm pretty sure that's why Canon in D gives me hives.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Every. Single. One.

Ten years later and you better believe they still to the same exact thing. If I remember correctly, it also featured Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

redmercer posted:

I don't remember all that well, but I'm pretty sure you could also add Vitamin C's "Graduation Song" to that. I'm pretty sure that's why Canon in D gives me hives.

Don't forget those few years where that "Always Wear Sunscreen" song would be on the radio constantly from May through July.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Popcorn posted:

That's deliberate.

David Lynch knows what he's doing.
Yeah, that poo poo was dated in 91.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
So who watched this poo poo when you were both not old enough for it to be appropriate but still young enough to find it at all funny?

My brother and I still occasionally burst into choruses of "Now you're a man! A manny manny man! :v:"

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Wandering Knitter posted:

Don't forget those few years where that "Always Wear Sunscreen" song would be on the radio constantly from May through July.
You forgot to include th music video for that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojsLDYr7RY&feature=fvst

The Boats
May 16, 2007

I remember there was this one song about a welcome table, and people liked to... sit... at... it.

WebDog posted:

I'm tempted to track this down and see what Wired thought of the future in the mid 90's

I remember it being pretty insane conjecture.

I bought this at a library book sale for $1.50 last summer. I have a crapton of homework to do tonight, but I'll scan some pages in tomorrow.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Opera Bitch posted:

You forgot to include th music video for that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojsLDYr7RY&feature=fvst
Let's not forget about the barely explicable (though nevertheless amusing - at the time, anyway) parody courtesy of Chris Rock.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

The Boats posted:

I bought this at a library book sale for $1.50 last summer. I have a crapton of homework to do tonight, but I'll scan some pages in tomorrow.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.08/reality_check.html

I'm pretty sure that's the article I guess that's just one of the "Reality Check" articles. Man, going through old Wired magazines is odd. They weren't sure if Toy Story would be worth anything, and dammit NeXT computers was going to be big dammit!

Here's some fun predictions from Wired though: http://yoz.com/wired/3.01/features/reality_check.html

Antioch has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Apr 10, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DrBouvenstein posted:

Every. Single. One.

I WILLLLLLLL. REMEMBERRRR YOUUU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

kimbo305 posted:

gently caress, this last page or two is making me remember every single song I ever hated and I hate you all for it.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Does anyone remember a really cheesy music video (likely aired on Disney or something similar, it was a video specifically aired in between children's programming) about going to get a haircut? It involved some poor kid gripping his chair in terror because he hated getting his hair cut so much. I've looked for it a bit, but can't find anything.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It was the day the dinosaur came to life!
He gave the poor farmer a terrible fright!
He stood just up, and shook the dirt off his skin and said-

(:v:)

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

GonzoRonin posted:

I can't be the only one who vaguely remembers this awfulness, although it's slightly pre-90's:

Oh yes, I too remember VHS degradation and tracking issues.

Ah the days of color bleeding and muffled audio.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
This was originally aired in the 1980s, but I had a VHS of it and I remember watching it all the time when I grew up in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVwkMhbmGM

I found the whole video on You Tube a couple of years ago, I think that the scenes with dinosaurs eating each other contributed to my vegetarianism.

For more proper 90s though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxqN-a0ges

Roundhouse. And really the entire Snick lineup. I can remember the two hours of Snick being Clarissa Explains it All, Roundhouse, Ren & Stimpy and Are You Afraid of the Dark. It used to be the highlight of my week.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

ServoMST3K posted:

Does anyone remember a really cheesy music video (likely aired on Disney or something similar, it was a video specifically aired in between children's programming) about going to get a haircut? It involved some poor kid gripping his chair in terror because he hated getting his hair cut so much. I've looked for it a bit, but can't find anything.

This could be what you are looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbfr5Y_XWbY

I haven't seen this thing in years.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

PalmTreeFun posted:

gently caress, this last page or two is making me remember every single song I ever hated and I hate you all for it.

"There's two things I know for sure...

She was sent down from Heaven

An' she's DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL!!!"

And by then I'd have changed the station. Only the aforementioned "Wear Sunscreen" and "The Christmas Shoes" are more saccharine.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

It is *crazy* how you don't think you remember something and lo and behold, by the second line or so I could start singing along.

Speaking of ridiculous Disney musical things...

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I can't be the only one that loved EcoQuest and EcoQuest 2: Lost Secret of the Rainforest, can I? I replayed Lost Secret of the Rainforest a couple of years ago when I was sick with mono, and it was just as good as I remember. I dearly wish they still made adventure games like this. They did remake Secret of Monkey Island for the iPhone, though!

I still get the opening music stuck in my head sometimes, with the MIDI pan flutes.
http://youtu.be/35EjbapELQs?t=20s

And then there was Ocean Girl! I spent HOURS in my pool swimming around and pretending I was her and rescuing "sea creatures" from the evil pool filter and manta sucker. I would also organize underwater exploratory adventures with rafts and research vessels made from Legos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FHEptdIZLg

I grew up to be an aquatic environmental scientist. :j: Never would have guessed that...

Aceofblue has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Apr 11, 2012

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Holy poo poo, YES! I can't believe you actually found that. I can't believe I correctly recalled it as a Disney channel video either. That video definitely reinforced my hatred of going to barbers/salons ever since I was a kid. The poor turd writhing in the chair, with sweaty palms and tears streaming down his face, perfectly captured how I looked when my mom took me to her hair dresser friend.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
This thread has almost made me think that I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers "Eek the Cat". I used to love that loving show for some reason..

Another one nobody else seems to remember is "Widget the World Watcher". He was a purple shape-changing alien who had a floating computer in his watch. I don't remember what Widget did, exactly, but I feel like it was entertaining.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

kimbo305 posted:

There was two songs on the radio that used these lyrics. One of them was by Sarah McLachlan. The other...was different. Anyone happen to know what it was?

If it helps, it was punctuated/spelled more like

I. Will remember YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU

Nevermind - found it. Amazing what you can find when you actually look. It was "I will remember you" by Amy Grant.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
This whole blog:

http://fuckyeahugly90sclothes.tumblr.com/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Whenever I think of 90's music, three songs come to my mind. One might be only an Australian/UK thing, but still.

Tal Bachman - She's So HAAAAAAAAAAIY-IIIIAY-AAAAAAAAY!
Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me? (I break out into this one embarassingly often)
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This Sears commercial that seemed to get played all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEQEPUJP8M

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

This thread has almost made me think that I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers "Eek the Cat". I used to love that loving show for some reason..

My dad loving loved this show, as well as its complement, The Terrible ThunderLizards.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I only remember Eek the Cat because of his pet dog named Sharky. I thought it was the coolest name for a dog ever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

magic pantaloons posted:

This whole blog:

http://fuckyeahugly90sclothes.tumblr.com/

Man, I think I need help. I keep coming across photos on that blog and thinking "what's so wrong with that?"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

When I think of 90's clothes I think of what are basically human rainbows

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Strange that these 1990s clothes seemed normal to me in the 1990s.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They are normal, they're perfectly normal, and this thread is not giving me mental vertigo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Antioch posted:

Here's some fun predictions from Wired though.
Ebooks in 2013 is the only one that's remotely on target. Interestingly enough if they'd written that article a year later the first ebook readers would have been out likely changing their idea of books on laptops.

Released in 1998 the SoftBook, had a 33.3k modem in it so you would be able to download books and magazines when plugged in. Just there wasn't as much infrastructure aside from a few publishers.

And speaking of tech I think this hasn't been posted yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DqJwmzG6Fk

Edit : God I love 90's tech crap.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Apr 11, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The 90s were a time when everyone wore their jeans really high and none of us realized it. When you checked a girl out, there was a lot more jeans to look over when you said to yourself, "I'd like to get in her pants."

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Shebrew posted:

For more proper 90s though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxqN-a0ges

Roundhouse. And really the entire Snick lineup. I can remember the two hours of Snick being Clarissa Explains it All, Roundhouse, Ren & Stimpy and Are You Afraid of the Dark. It used to be the highlight of my week.

Reprise the theme song and roll the credits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TShields posted:

I don't remember what Widget did, exactly, but I feel like it was entertaining.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I think he watched the world.

• Locked thread