Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CzarChasm posted:

When you say the outside separated from the inside I'm picturing a meat donut of some kind, is that what you're saying happened? How thick is the steak, and how thick(wide) are the slices you are trying for?

It was a thinner flank steak, about half an inch thick, maybe a bit more? I know I did a bad job describing it. Basically, the sear on the outside would move independently (almost detached) from the inner, rarer, part of the steak when cutting. I was making thin cuts, about 1/4 inch thick against the grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Phummus posted:

Also, what are some other uses for pulled pork?

I've made pulled pork rillettes. Scoop some, cold, into a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Shred up and allow to get creamy, add some of the fat it's too stiff. I like adding a bit of whole grain mustard and capers. Serve on crostini.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want copious amounts of nice and spicy Indian (at least, style) food. I've utterly goddamn butchered all of my past attempts.
What style of dish should I look up? I'd like something spicy, ideally something without a million different things to buy in order to make it, and something that a three year old would have a decent chance of preparing satisfactorily. Because I feel like that's about where I am when it comes to Indian or Indian style food. I'll probably put chicken in it.

Is Dino's book a good beginner level "this is Indian food that happens to be vegan" option?

I one day hope to live next to an old Indian/Greek/Italian/Spanish/Etc lady whose hobby is cooking amazing goddamn food for her neighbors, so that I can learn from her and also eat her food. I'll clean her gutters and buy her ingredients or something.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

The marinade came out well and the flank steak was tasty. I cooked it on a super hot grill cast iron pan but I had an issue with it. I got a great crust on the outside and the inside was still rare/medium rare but when I went to cut it against the grain and on an angle, it seemed the outside almost separated from the middle. I tried it with my sharp chef's knife as well as a sharp serrated knife and both had the same thing happen. Did I do something wrong?

How long did you let the meat rest after cooking? It may not have sorted out all its tricky meaty goodness if you started cutting into it too soon. Give it a good ten minutes or so. I prefer to wait ten to thirty seconds myself and then I just grab the flank and tear into it with my teeth. Spattered with juice I then cry aloud in Klingon that today is a good day to die and I would kill Kahless himself if he should cross me in the roadway.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CuddleChunks posted:

How long did you let the meat rest after cooking? It may not have sorted out all its tricky meaty goodness if you started cutting into it too soon. Give it a good ten minutes or so. I prefer to wait ten to thirty seconds myself and then I just grab the flank and tear into it with my teeth. Spattered with juice I then cry aloud in Klingon that today is a good day to die and I would kill Kahless himself if he should cross me in the roadway.

About 10 minutes. That said, it was super tasty and tender. I just hadn't seen that happen before and didn't know if it had anything to do with the marinade. I did try to dry off the meat before cooking it, maybe there was still too much moisture?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

I like turtles posted:

I want copious amounts of nice and spicy Indian (at least, style) food. I've utterly goddamn butchered all of my past attempts.
What style of dish should I look up? I'd like something spicy, ideally something without a million different things to buy in order to make it, and something that a three year old would have a decent chance of preparing satisfactorily. Because I feel like that's about where I am when it comes to Indian or Indian style food. I'll probably put chicken in it.

Is Dino's book a good beginner level "this is Indian food that happens to be vegan" option?

I one day hope to live next to an old Indian/Greek/Italian/Spanish/Etc lady whose hobby is cooking amazing goddamn food for her neighbors, so that I can learn from her and also eat her food. I'll clean her gutters and buy her ingredients or something.

I found chicken biryani very challenging to get right, even though it looks simple (my rice always comes out soggy). Try it in a restaurant first if you haven't had it before, so you know what to aim for.

Make sure you leave all the spices in big chunks (I wouldn't even grind the things they say to grind in the recipe), it's delicious when you come across a softened cardamom or caraway seed in your rice

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm making potato wedges fried in duck fat, and I'm running short on time. Could I achieve the same results by pouring the melted fat over them and sticking the tray in the oven? Figured 10 minutes at 450-475 could get them nice and crispy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cowcatcher posted:

I found chicken biryani very challenging to get right, even though it looks simple (my rice always comes out soggy). Try it in a restaurant first if you haven't had it before, so you know what to aim for.

Make sure you leave all the spices in big chunks (I wouldn't even grind the things they say to grind in the recipe), it's delicious when you come across a softened cardamom or caraway seed in your rice

And if you don't want something that's very challenging to get right, dino's book is a pretty good resource for "easy to learn Indian food that just happens to be vegan" (from what I can tell: I don't own it). Really, though, if you want spicy Indian food, just add as many spicy peppers as you want to whatever Indian food you're making.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

Time to play What's That Meat!

I went to a halal market and it's their butcher's day off and there was just a pile of shrink-wrapped meat and a dude who identified things as being "uhhhh, from the back?". This is supposedly beef. IRC thinks it might be veal. Any ideas?

Any ideas on my Adventure Meat?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

My guess is pork shoulder, mainly due to the bones.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Psychobabble posted:

My guess is pork shoulder, mainly due to the bones.

But he went to a halal market?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Nihari is my favourite thing. It's not too difficult.

This looks like a pretty decent recipe for it:
http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/nihari.php

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

Cut a little bit off and cook it, see how it smells/looks?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Drink and Fight posted:

If you're thinking that it doesn't look or taste quite like veal, keep in mind that halal veal is typically from a free-roaming, milk-fed, slightly older animal.

That said, it's kind of pink like chicken, but the bones are huge. Therefore: huge chicken. :confused:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, halal market, definitely not pork. I have no idea what veal tastes like. Guess I'll just find out.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a good place with recipes for things that can be cooked easily in those silicone oven/microwave steamers? http://home.insightbb.com/~carolynmoorewells/ is the only site I've found so far.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drink and Fight posted:

Yeah, halal market, definitely not pork. I have no idea what veal tastes like. Guess I'll just find out.

It looks really like veal shin. You should use it to make osso bucco, because that's what veal shin is for.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm thinking on giving rabbit a try. I have several local meat markets that carry them, so procuring isn't a problem. Looking at some recipes they all seem to be stewing or fricasseeing (is that a word?). Is this to keep it from drying out? I'd like something simple to start; I have decent cooking skills but I'm interested in actually tasting the meat. Also not adding a ton of fats because I'd like to add rabbit to my diet due to it's leanness.

Tell me how to cook a bunny.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 11, 2012

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Gyshall posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as how to make my own pickles? I'm having trouble finding a good recipe and consensus as to how to best do it.

The intention is to fry them once they are done, not for sandwiches or anything else.

Here's a thread: Jammin' - Home Canning and Pickling

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Cleaning question.

I just got a thermos. It is stainless steel inside and out. I used it to bring tea to school with me on Tuesday, and by the second cup it started to taste funny. On the third, it was pronounced. I washed it with soap & hot water and it still smelled like the weird taste. I put white vinegar in it and sloshed it around. It didn't smell weird any more. Then as soon as I put boiling water in it (just plain boiling tap water), the smell came back, and my tea definitely tasted like it today too. It is a chemical taste and if the inside weren't stainless steel, I'd say it was plastic.

Anyway, what the hell. Any cleaning ideas that might get rid of it? Or is it something about the design or the material that makes it make stuff gross? None of the Amazon reviews mention anything like this.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 12, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
How can i tighten up falafel if if doesnt want go hold together? Assume no fancg chemicals.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Turkeybone posted:

How can i tighten up falafel if if doesnt want go hold together? Assume no fancg chemicals.

A little bit of flour worked for me last time. I wanted to try chickpea flour, but didn't have any on hand or any dried beans to grind up.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

I washed it with soap & hot water and it still smelled like the weird taste.

First thing to do with a new thermos is wash it in hot, soapy water inside & out to clean off any manufacturing chemicals (greases and whatnot). After that it should have a nice stainless lining and be inert as far as changing the taste of your liquids. I'd consider it defective and send it back right away. This is a bullshit thermos.

One thing to try is to soak the top part - the plug - in some hot, soapy water and wash that out with plenty of rinses. You're looking to make sure you didn't accidentally get a bit of soap or something up in the mechanism that helps break the vacuum (assuming your thermos is like mine). All of that stuff is supposed to be food grade and inert so a bad taste == something very wrong.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Turkeybone posted:

OK, couple of things.

Falafel should not need anything except chickpeas, herbs (boatloads of parsley, preferably), any spices you like, garlic (optional, though delicious), and a bit of water to move things along.

Begin with dry chickpeas, and soak them overnight in cold water. The next morning, rinse them well, and drain them. In the bowl of your food processor, combine your soaked chickpeas, your herbs, spices, garlic, a bit of salt, and give it a few pulses until everything is chopped up. Scrape down the sides, and let the food processor rip on full speed. You want the whole thing ground down until it's kind of the size of little breadcrumbs. You will need a bit of water to move things along, so feel free to pour a bit in, a couple of tablespoons at a time. By the time the whole thing is pureed down, you'll end up with a lovely mix, which you can drop by spoonfuls into hot fat.

This lady has a solid recipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5-CfPHk

She adds onions, which gives you the liquid that I'd be adding. You're welcome to follow her recipe, as she's got the authentical version going.

The beauty of mastering the technique is that you can use the same basic technique for any bean. I use black eyed beans, white beans, mung beans, etc. They all come out lovely.
I don't use the fava beans, but there you go.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

taqueso posted:

A little bit of flour worked for me last time. I wanted to try chickpea flour, but didn't have any on hand or any dried beans to grind up.

I used cake flour, seemed to work.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

dino. posted:

OK, couple of things.

Falafel should not need anything except chickpeas, herbs (boatloads of parsley, preferably), any spices you like, garlic (optional, though delicious), and a bit of water to move things along.

Begin with dry chickpeas, and soak them overnight in cold water. The next morning, rinse them well, and drain them. In the bowl of your food processor, combine your soaked chickpeas, your herbs, spices, garlic, a bit of salt, and give it a few pulses until everything is chopped up. Scrape down the sides, and let the food processor rip on full speed. You want the whole thing ground down until it's kind of the size of little breadcrumbs. You will need a bit of water to move things along, so feel free to pour a bit in, a couple of tablespoons at a time. By the time the whole thing is pureed down, you'll end up with a lovely mix, which you can drop by spoonfuls into hot fat.

This lady has a solid recipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5-CfPHk

She adds onions, which gives you the liquid that I'd be adding. You're welcome to follow her recipe, as she's got the authentical version going.

The beauty of mastering the technique is that you can use the same basic technique for any bean. I use black eyed beans, white beans, mung beans, etc. They all come out lovely.
I don't use the fava beans, but there you go.

Yeah -- if only I had seen this a few days ago!

Also it's for a school event for like 250+ people so it's honestly better this way so I can have the "cheap labor" form the patties.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah -- if only I had seen this a few days ago!

Also it's for a school event for like 250+ people so it's honestly better this way so I can have the "cheap labor" form the patties.

Yeah -- on second thought I dont think I ground my stuff down far enough -- granted it was about 20# of chickpeas so my mind began wandering by the end. But the recipe I had warned about not going too far so meh. The flavor's good though.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

What foods should be cooked in what kind of pan? I have stainless and non-stick. Is there a reason to not cook everything in a non-stick?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
In my experience, non-sticks just aren't as good at holding heat as well as something like a stainless or cast iron. You also can't really get a good fond going for pan sauces. Not to mention that you can't use metal utensils with them.

I pretty much only use non-stick for eggs.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If by non-stick you mean Teflon then I think it is pretty poor for most things. It doesn't distribute heat evenly, lacks thermal mass to hold temperature, and isnt a good idea to use over high heat for searing or in the oven. I use mine only for eggs.
Everything else I use either stainless, hard-anodized, or cast iron. Each is quite nonstick if your technique is sound. My stainless Is all-clad and I like the handle for tossing/ sautéing. The hard anodized has hoop handles and is more massive so I use it to cook some proteins and finish in oven. Finally the cast iron is great for heating and searing and sometimes finishing off in the oven.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nifty posted:

What foods should be cooked in what kind of pan? I have stainless and non-stick. Is there a reason to not cook everything in a non-stick?

Non stick wears off. My mother in law has an all clad that's loving tits, but I can't afford to replace every few years. Get a cheap nonstick that you can stand to throw away when the coating wears out.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

My parents use non-stick for everything, I use nonstick only for eggs or maybe like pancakes (electric non-stick griddle) or something like that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nifty posted:

For a lot of foods you want the brown bits and fond from cooking as it adds flavor to the food or sauce. Non Stick pans are pretty horrible at making fond.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I was trying to watch my weight, we did a fair bit of cooking in the nonstick pan. It meant that I could get a nice toasting on my spices, a nice browning on the onions, and all kind of other crap going without having to make a mess of my pots. Whenever I make pancakes of any kind, be they savoury, sweet, or crepe, nonstick pan is a lifesaver. Especially in the case of dosa, the nonstick sees to it that I'm not throwing down gallons of fat every time. I don't recall having "heat retention" issues with my nonstick, but then I don't cook meat, so your mileage may vary.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I feel dumb, but I am having problems not burning things on one of my pans.

I have a stainless steel all-clad pan I picked up at Marshalls for a song. I love it. It holds heat really well and it's a breeze to clean, but things stick to it. I heat it up, coat it with oil, wait a bit, and put my (patted dry) pork chops on. The chops always stick.

.... what am I doing wrong?

Also, enameled dutch ovens: is it just a matter of stirring the stew more often to keep things from sticking? I'm scared of scratching the enamel and try not to scrape it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

squigadoo posted:

Also, enameled dutch ovens: is it just a matter of stirring the stew more often to keep things from sticking? I'm scared of scratching the enamel and try not to scrape it.

Use a wooden spoon and stir every so often and you'll be fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

squigadoo posted:

I have a stainless steel all-clad pan I picked up at Marshalls for a song. I love it. It holds heat really well and it's a breeze to clean, but things stick to it. I heat it up, coat it with oil, wait a bit, and put my (patted dry) pork chops on. The chops always stick.

You might not be cooking them long enough. Often stuff releases from the pan when it has cooked enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also the easiest way to clean any pan is to toss a half cup or so of water in it while it's still really hot (it should boil as soon as it hits the pan), then stir/scrape to get all the stuck on bits off. Basically you're deglazing as a cleaning method.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

squigadoo posted:

When you say stick, do you mean you can't even get them to move? Similar to what Tycho said, the "sticking" is going to happen no matter what and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Thank you all, very much.

Doh004 posted:

When you say stick, do you mean you can't even get them to move? Similar to what Tycho said, the "sticking" is going to happen no matter what and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I was trying to lift an edge of the pork chop to see how the sear was, and couldn't lift it without tearing the meat. I got around this problem by adding a bit more oil and moving the meat right when I put it in the pan. Like, porkchop down and move it so that it's touching a different part of the pan.