Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

- Overall though, that bullpen is seriously light on innings and quality.

Eh, in an OL he's going to add a waiver claim reliever and probably a useful reliever and a mopup guy between the two AAA pitchers. I've never had any problems with fatigue in OLs and I've went a lot skimpier than that.

I will say that I think you could probably do better with cookie relievers than the guys picked. Wally Westlake is totally unneeded since you'll get a AAA player to fill those PAs, drop him and add to the bullpen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I totally forgot about the waiver claim guy. I'll definitely drop Westlake for more bullpen power. And MBU I put Milacki in there for exactly that rear end in a top hat spot start you mentioned. I'd be resting him all the way until the end.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Devo posted:

I totally forgot about the waiver claim guy. I'll definitely drop Westlake for more bullpen power. And MBU I put Milacki in there for exactly that rear end in a top hat spot start you mentioned. I'd be resting him all the way until the end.

Make him Closer A on a 15/20 pitch count and set only to pitch in save situations. Rest him about 10 games before the end of the season and he'll be good to go for your spot start, and you'll have the best closer in the league too

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Going under on innings is a nightmare and IMO it's always better to play it safe. OL talent level is rarely high enough that you need to optimize super well, and I'd rather have a slightly weaker pitching staff that definitely has enough innings than one that's stronger but needs a decent AAA guy to make it through.

With that said, jeff has a TOC win and some 50000 simleague wins so listen to him over me

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

With that said, jeff has a TOC win

Three of them actually, I'm not great at advice though.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Three of them actually, I'm not great at advice though.

Man what

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ditched Westlake, pushed my IP closer to 1300, and improved the overall quality of the bullpen.
I think I'm liking this team now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've lost in the ToC finals twice!

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Speaking of the TOC, is there anything special I should be watching out for there? I managed to make the world series (which I'm going to lose horribly) and discovered that doing so put me in a TOC league.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Going under on innings is a nightmare and IMO it's always better to play it safe. OL talent level is rarely high enough that you need to optimize super well, and I'd rather have a slightly weaker pitching staff that definitely has enough innings than one that's stronger but needs a decent AAA guy to make it through.

My current goon rush team has 1,200 drafted IP, many of which are going to Oliver Perez, and are pitching in front of a defense that has three infielders out of position, a catcher in RF and Juan Pierre in CF. Through 91 games I've only made three AAA-lambs-to-the-slaughter starts and have otherwise had no stamina issues whatsoever.

OL innings are pretty easy to work with.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I just drafted 1231 in an OL in Coors. Although I do have superb range at every position other than 1 OF'er.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

Speaking of the TOC, is there anything special I should be watching out for there? I managed to make the world series (which I'm going to lose horribly) and discovered that doing so put me in a TOC league.

If you did anything special for the playoffs, do that again. TOCs are a giant crapshoot though so don't sweat it too hard

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
If you have a low high- school scout rating, does that just mean that you dont see a lot of prospects or does it mean that the high school prospects you do see have screwed up ratings?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Both

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Quasimango posted:

If you have a low high- school scout rating, does that just mean that you dont see a lot of prospects or does it mean that the high school prospects you do see have screwed up ratings?

Both. The higher/lower your high school/college/international scouting, the more/less prospects you will see and the more/less accurate their projections will be.

A good example would be this most recent season in Hometown, where Devo and I had identical HS budgets but he had 18 in college to my 10. It felt like he saw twice as many college prospects as I did where we saw roughly the same HS guys. There were several college guys he was showing me who I'd have loved to have taken at my pick in the draft, but I didn't see them at all.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Okay, thanks, I'm wondering if it screws up their current ratings too. Because I have 20 college/ 7 HS in Dimaggio and like the look of this guy based on his current ratings (it's kind of a crappy draft):

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Quasimango posted:

Okay, thanks, I'm wondering if it screws up their current ratings too.

Current ratings are legit if you can see the play, but boy that must be a really crappy draft.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I would like that dude fairly well (though I put more of a premium on baserunning than most poeple) but that durability is a big, big issue. It's kind of a crapshoot for him with that low of a HS budget, though.

Where are you drafting?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
No.4. I would like this other guy, but his control worries me, as does his mother.

And then this one I don't see reaching his splits ratings.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I'd take Snyder. Sign him, and you have a real good arm in your system. If he doesn't you get the #5 pick in the next draft. Win/win.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Definitely rank Snyder the best of those guys.

If that's the best you've got to consider at 4 then that is a really bad draft. Obviously OVR IS BULLSHIT, but how many 80+ OVR guys do you see?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
There's 9. Those two, couple of pitchers a bit worse than Snyder, couple of "shortstops" and a few decent hitters. Haren was ranked as auto No.1.

Oh well, guess it's Snyder top, thanks for your help!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm late on this but Odell Snyder is a beautiful man. Two pitches in the 80s can more than make up for control in the 70s. He probably won't sign though because mothers can be bitchy.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Alright the World Series just ended in Hometown, I'm pretty sure credits have been dispersed, and there's a few teams that still haven't signed on for next season. We're still in the three day waiting period though so some of these teams might not *actually* be open. I like quick rollovers though so I'm throwing teams out there to see if one of them piques anyone's interest.

Devo posted:

I talked to the commish and I know that at least one franchise is coming open. This NL West franchise here. If you were to take this franchise you'd only have two guys on contract for next season with 11 arb eligible. So you're working with a pretty blank slate if you want to.

His AAA and AA teams were both in the playoffs and the AAA team actually just beat me for the NL pennant. There's not a whole lot of great prospects down there but his minors are solid and there's a couple guys you could call up if needed.

Along with the NL West team that I posted earlier, there's one more NL team in the NL North that hasn't renewed. This franchise has been mediocre to bad for a long time, with only 3 playoff appearances in 18 seasons. Their first round pick this season did not sign, so if the owner was not a dumbass you'll be looking at the 4th and 9th picks in next season's draft. There is $17.27 million tied up in four contracts for next season (1 2 3 4). Johnstone is also signed for season 20. I can't pull up arbitration reports right now but it looks like you would only have two guys up for arb (1 2). The downside to this team is that you're in the same division with the Madison meatgrinder. The defending NL champion hasn't renewed yet but I see no reason why he wouldn't. (note to goons: if Madison doesn't renew and one of you doesn't take his team I will be sorely disappointed in you)

There are also four teams in the American League that don't have The AsteriskTM

Team one is located in the AL North along with resident world super team Toronto. This team finished on an L5, missing the WC2 by a tiebreaker. This team is on the upswing and I'm kind of surprised they haven't renewed. They've got $26 million tied up in four players for season 19(1 2 3), but only $6.75 million in season 20 (this guy who I traded for too little return). Has a whole bunch of players up for Arb1 next season. Picked 14th last season and got kind of a bleh college reliever. This franchise will be picking roughly 21st in next season's draft.

Team two got third place in the AL East. This 61-101 team will be picking 5th in the draft. They also picked 5th last season and got an OK college starter. This franchise has $32.5 million tied up in six contracts for next season. In addition to that, they're on the hook for $24.3 mil in season 20, $19.5 mil in season 21, and $6.4 mil in season 22. I'm not going to go much more in depth here because they've had the same owner for 13 straight seasons and I'd hope he would come back.

Team three is the last place team in the AL East. This team finished 54-108 after an impressive L24 to close the season. They also boasted one of the worst pitching staffs I've ever seen. They didn't sign their first round pick and will be picking 2nd and 3rd in next season's draft. You're on the hook for three contracts totalling $10.6 million in season 19 (1 2 3). There are zero signed commitments for season 20. There should be three position players and a pitcher up for arb next season (1 2 3 4). This team is terrible and needs a total rebuild but has the draft picks to get it done.

The last possibly available team is in the AL South. I don't really like the dickhead previous owner and hope he's gone. After a decent season 17 showing this franchise fell to a 68-94 record in season 18. They should have the 8th and 25th picks in next season's draft. They picked future waiver bait Damon Clement with the 15th pick this season. This franchise has almost $37 million tied up for next season and this guy is signed through season 22. You would have five arbitration eligible pitchers and ten position players. Five of those fifteen are going into Arb3. This could possibly be a mess to take over.

I'm not sure that all of these will be open (and I hope some of them aren't). AV and I get lonely sometimes so come join us!

Late edit: everyone renewed. Only the known opening is available.

Devo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 8, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

All that poo poo took me forever to research and type up so one of you fuckers better jump in :v:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

AV and I get lonely sometimes so come join us!

Fair warning that if Barry Lamar Bonds ever gets off the ground that I am dropping my Hometown team.

Of course, the way it's going, that's a long shot.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Pfft you're addicted to this poo poo and your team is pretty good. Also WiS support hates us.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly if I didn't have that dreamboat Barry Cookson I might have left Hometown already. Only reason I'm sticking around right now is that I'm in the middle of a contention window, I'm not especially in love with the team.

e: and of course Toronto makes me wish the Conquistadors were in his place by comparison.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 7, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I updated my Hometown post. Only three teams left now. There's still only one that's 100% not coming back but the exclusive renewal period is ending real soon.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Is the blanke slate team still available?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think so. Send a sitemail to bjharder. I'll send him a tc. If Cincinnati renews like they said they would in world chat we'll be ready to roll.

e: or a world chat. I guess you can't TC after the world series.

Devo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 8, 2012

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Which team is it?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scrotos posted:

Which team is it?

Tucson in the NL West. Cincinnati hasn't renewed either but he said in world chat that he would. Tucson is in a very winnable division and doesn't have any long term commitments.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
re. the Clemente draft I was talking about mid-page, Aaron Haren got taken 1st and Snyder 2nd, I ended up with Dillard. Worst draft ever.

On the plus side, my team there is finally good this year. :shobon:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

A guy who projects to have 40 power taken first overall.

A sad day for baseball.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, someone explain this one to me.

My starting SS got ejected in this game. Sparky replaced him with Mario Tucker, who does not have SS checked as an eligible position and is not listed anywhere in my depth charts at SS. Meanwhile David Stewart IS a shortstop, IS listed on my SS depth charts and sat on the bench.

Huh?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Okay, someone explain this one to me.

My starting SS got ejected in this game. Sparky replaced him with Mario Tucker, who does not have SS checked as an eligible position and is not listed anywhere in my depth charts at SS. Meanwhile David Stewart IS a shortstop, IS listed on my SS depth charts and sat on the bench.

Huh?

Was Stewart resting?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Playoff time in RC. This team owns bones.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
willie mays has the best line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Nope that's Dave Kingman.

• Locked thread