Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

Did a transition over to Rotella synthetic oil for both SV650s today along with K&N oil filters. I also plated the new one and got to check out the bike's whole body while on the ground... looking good.

2000 SV650: 37k miles
2001 SV650: 32k miles

Tell me about your (BMW XMoto?) headlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sviatoslav posted:

Howdy two wheel goons,

So, I've been trying to help my friend with his Yamaha R6 (02 I think). Last fall he started taking it apart to do the valve shims then got pissed off with the timing chain and so it sat all winter while I took up the garage space putting a V8 into an old Volvo. He has been taking the lead on this project, I'm just trying to help. We got it all back together today and threw the battery in it and we got nothing. There was power to all the accessories spedo/tach etc but no start. After messing around with the wiring going to the starter relay I noticed two things. One if I fiddle with the wires enough I can get it to crank, but it won't start and I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing to get it to start cranking. Two, the one 30a fuse on the starter relay doesn't seat properly, but the bike will still crank over without it even in at all. After trying to start it (and cranking on the throttle) I noticed a distinct smell of gas out of the tail pipe so we called it quits for a while because I'm pretty sure its flooded. He said that when he had it apart he didn't do anything with the carbs and the fuel pump is new. I personally think he is in need for a carb rebuild because he likes to let the bike sit for months on end with fuel in it. I'm not sure how to check spark other then testing the wires off the ICU (one is orange and the other grey) that go to the coils but I haven't been able to test that properly.

So what say you, cycle asylum? How can I get my friend on his bike and not bitching at me about my Volvo.

First fix the fuse. Then drain the old lovely gas, fire some starter fluid down the intake and see if it fires. Or check for spark by connecting a plug to a boot and grounding it on the head and seeing if you get solid spark.

Probably needs the carbs cleaned too.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
From what I know, the lens are from a BMW g650x and the p.o. took another dirt bike's flyscreen (ktm?), carved it up a bit to fit the lens and the stock sv650n gauges, and presto.

Edit: I'm wrong, the flyscreen is also from the g650x... The p.o. was planning on getting the side pieces (like in this picture) but they were too pricey and he didn't get around to it.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 7, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So yesterday I cleaned my chain and popped the plug off of my intake drain hose. A tonne of either goopy fuel or new looking oil came out. It was gold/orange-y colored and seemed slippery.

This was either because I left the bike on Prime for 20 minutes the day I got it last December(and never drained it since I didn't know poo poo about beiks) OR because my father and I put too much oil in the bike when we changed the oil pan (I ready any excess oil in the crankcase gets vented to the intake)

Either way, with that poo poo out, throttle tip-in is MUCH more manageable. I would avoid the throttle through turns due to the buck that would accompany opening the throttle at all. Now it's far more easier to feed in some throttle and roll it on.

But I can't figure out why that is. Any ideas? The only thing I did between rides was the chain cleaning (which took forever since it wasn't done for a long time I recon) and the draining of the fluid from the intake.

Apart from initial roll on smoothness, everything else is business as usual with regards to idle/power/smoothness. Part of me thinks I should inspect my filter.

TL/DR: DRAIN YOUR INTAKE.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ziploc posted:

So yesterday I cleaned my chain and popped the plug off of my intake drain hose. A tonne of either goopy fuel or new looking oil came out. It was gold/orange-y colored and seemed slippery.

This was either because I left the bike on Prime for 20 minutes the day I got it last December(and never drained it since I didn't know poo poo about beiks) OR because my father and I put too much oil in the bike when we changed the oil pan (I ready any excess oil in the crankcase gets vented to the intake)

Either way, with that poo poo out, throttle tip-in is MUCH more manageable. I would avoid the throttle through turns due to the buck that would accompany opening the throttle at all. Now it's far more easier to feed in some throttle and roll it on.

But I can't figure out why that is. Any ideas? The only thing I did between rides was the chain cleaning (which took forever since it wasn't done for a long time I recon) and the draining of the fluid from the intake.

Apart from initial roll on smoothness, everything else is business as usual with regards to idle/power/smoothness. Part of me thinks I should inspect my filter.

TL/DR: DRAIN YOUR INTAKE.

It's probably because you cleaned and adjusted your chain.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
But I didn't adjust my chain...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dialed in the suspenders... preload, compression damping, and rebound damping. Rides like a completely different bike. Not sure why I didn't do it first thing. PO was a 300 pounder. I am significantly shy of that number. Now I actually have the suspension travel the bike is supposed to have!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I blew a fuse. I was trying to install some turn signals since the bike didn't come with any. Also, I learned where my fuse box was!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Got the Husky out of the house, started it and rode it. I don't think I'm going to miss the 636 much.

Not Kevin
Mar 31, 2012
I took a bucket and some soft rags to the non-lubricated bits. Not a real cleaning, but enough make it look clean at a first glance or from a distance.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Finished the seat pan I was working on. First seat i made ever. I feel pretty good about it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I see Jesus.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I see Bender from Futurama trapped inside a leather seat.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Tightened my throttle cable, it had been slack for a long time leaving a lot of play in the throttle, making it a bit choppy from time to time too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I see cock and balls.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

I see cock and balls.

I thought I was the only gay one

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ola posted:

I see cock and balls.

Sorry I left a CnB imprint sitting on it when it wasnt fully dry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

I see cock and balls.

YOU BETTER NOT BE IN MY rear end GROOVE!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sorry I left a CnB imprint sitting on it when it wasnt fully dry.

I too sit on my balls

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
^^ Then you too must have giant sack syndrome. I think it comes with working on your own stuff.

The final stain and sealer is on, seat is on the bike. Comfy ride with the gel. Now to make matching grips, fork bag and swingarm bag.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finally got one fully functional clean petcock by taking three apart. :argh: to the ravages of time that destroyed the innards of one, and :argh: :argh: to the PO of the other who apparently thought that "reverse thread" is something you do by jamming a RH steel nut onto LH aluminum threads and cranking it down with a breaker bar. Only spent 25 dollars all told though -- thank you to Charlie's Place.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Adjusted my clutch after riding to work and realising that the the clutch disengaged as soon as I touched the clutch lever. I have ~1 cm of free play now and the bike actually feels better - it seems to pull harder to me. That might be in my head, or perhaps it wasn't full engaging the clutch with the lever all the way out.

Edit - either way I probably need to bleed the clutch too.

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
Installed a stebel nautilus horn on my SV650. my eardrums nearly exploded when I tested it. I would make a video but there are so many on youtube and it sounds the same.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I cleaned the chain on the Husky with some WD-40, then took it for a test ride too soon. When the bike stalled due to having less then a gallon of gas and not being on reserve, I looked down and saw black grime from the chain guide all over the side of the engine and thought I blew the motor. Never been so paranoid about an engine before.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Try some DuPont Teflon lube...it's in the blue can. It's cheap, works, and doesn't have any fling once you wipe the excess off.

They also have the chain saver (yellow can), but I haven't found it near me yet. Reports are that it is thicker and will fling.

I clean my chain first with kerosene and a small paint brush to get what little dirt/grit is in there.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 11, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I also used a kerosene based cleaner. I refrained from using WD-40 as per this page's recommendations.

http://bolty.net/2009/08/05/how-to-clean-and-lube-a-motorcycle-chain/

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Kerosene (aka Paraffin in the UK) is way cheaper than WD40 anyway, it's also super easy to find.

I'm planning to make the switch to an automatic oiler, because gently caress chain cleaning. Which ones are worth looking at? the Scottoiler seems expensive for what it is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

Kerosene (aka Paraffin in the UK) is way cheaper than WD40 anyway, it's also super easy to find.

I'm planning to make the switch to an automatic oiler, because gently caress chain cleaning. Which ones are worth looking at? the Scottoiler seems expensive for what it is.

I had a Loobman on my bike for a while. Way too fiddly to be of any real use, the hose would fall off due to bumps and it was an absolutely unholy mess.

Now I just wipe the chain with some used motor oil on a rag. Once in a while I clean the chain with kerosene and an old toothbrush.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

You can go pretty far without even cleaning/oiling an o-ring chain. It might cut its life a bit, but at least you'll have chain that's not covered in old oil and grime.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I clean my chain twice a month. I was using synthetic 10w40 but I just switched to some other lube from CycleGear and it works good. I wouldn't have switched, but the 10w40 was messy and the lube was on sale for $2.99. Having had a catastrophic chain failure once, I don't want to repeat the process so I am religious about maintaining my chain.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I actually normally use belray chain lube which is pretty fling resistant but ran out. But thats more for lubing than cleaning. Been meaning to get kerosene.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
90w gear oil is what most manufacturers recommend and if applied correctly, won't make a mess. It's also cheap and available at any auto parts store.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

I had a Loobman on my bike for a while. Way too fiddly to be of any real use, the hose would fall off due to bumps and it was an absolutely unholy mess.

Yeah it looks like it might be OK if you go for extended rides and you fettle with it enough to get it dependable, can't argue about the price I guess. I do a lot of short journeys so what I really need is something that only works when the bike is rolling.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Flooded it. :( I really have to stop filling it up too much.

After finally pulling the spark plug and getting everything back in order I took it for a long run. I put my RAM mount on it and checked the speedometer vs the GPS and for the old P200E it was pretty much right on.

Before I got her running again a guy on a Pacific Coast stopped to see if everything was okay. So it was shifty scooter vs twist and go bike.

Threw my saddle bags under the seat, and yeah, it is ugly, but it works great for going to the store:

And the bugs are out:

I really should take the KLR for a spin, but I have more fun on the Vespa.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Fitted a new exhaust and a fender eliminator.

The bike has a very low pitched exhaust note now, and you can hear the valves. Kinda sounds like a heavy, industrial jack hammer.

Plus, the bike no longer cooks my passenger's legs.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Detroit117 posted:

Fitted a new exhaust and a fender eliminator.

The bike has a very low pitched exhaust note now, and you can hear the valves. Kinda sounds like a heavy, industrial jack hammer.

Plus, the bike no longer cooks my passenger's legs.

That's a gorgeous bike man. Im jealous.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
One day I'm gonna acquire an SSA to swap on to my SV :allears: Bike looks great!

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

invision posted:

That's a gorgeous bike man. Im jealous.

Z3n posted:

One day I'm gonna acquire an SSA to swap on to my SV :allears: Bike looks great!

Thanks guys

Z3n: Checked out your thread. The Franken SV is badass and definitely needs a SSA.
Just try not to think about all the shear stress on you rear axle like I do. :ohdear:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I love the underslung look of the Quad D.

Plus it shows off that swingarm, nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Dellikose posted:

I love the underslung look of the Quad D.

Plus it shows off that swingarm, nice!

Basically what I want to do is clean up the whole rear section of the bike. For some reason, Ducati hid the swing arm under a bunch of clunky bits.

next up is some rearsets and turn signals.

P.S. really enjoying all the love my bike is getting :3: