Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
sorry for the double post, recruitment thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So my Deathwatch group and I basically concluded today that Iron Hands Librarians are prettymuch Darth Vader.

I love this game. :black101:

EDIT: Also, when Only War comes out, I'm going to run a mini-campaign for my friends where everyone plays Catachans, the enemies are Tyranids and Necrons, and the players have to name their characters after '80s action stars, any semblance of plot is put aside in the name of KILLING MORE poo poo. :black101:

CONTRA: THE TABLETOP RPG.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 9, 2012

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Here's a question:

So there are a lot of Talents & Skills in DH. Some are character specific & depend on your particular build, but some seem more useful than others. What are the generally useful Talents and Skills?

Awareness, Tech-Use, Sound Constitution, and Rapid Reload are a few that come to mind.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Can't forget Dodge. Probably the most important way to not be ground to paste.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Hardy. Always heal as if lightly wounded.
Quick Draw. Like Rapid Reload, allows you to not waste actions in combat.

If you're playing a game with a strong horror/chaos theme, Fearless can be useful, along with the talents that reduce Corruption/Insanity.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
What's the big deal with Full Auto in Dark Heresy? Why is it such a game breaker?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Turtle before the Storm posted:

What's the big deal with Full Auto in Dark Heresy? Why is it such a game breaker?

For some reason it gives +20 BS on a Full Auto Burst action. For comparison, in Black Crusade it's -10. Even when playing Dark Heresy nowadays I use the new attack action rules from Black Crusade.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kumo posted:

Here's a question:

So there are a lot of Talents & Skills in DH. Some are character specific & depend on your particular build, but some seem more useful than others. What are the generally useful Talents and Skills?

Awareness, Tech-Use, Sound Constitution, and Rapid Reload are a few that come to mind.

To add a few:
Security is basically lockpicking/disarm traps from D&D, and it can be really helpful for one person to have it.
Deceive/Intimidate for obvious reasons, and Inquiry for basic "where can I find X" rolls.

For talents, Ambidextrous is phenomenal for any character that can take it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
144 Damage in one round from my Chain Cannon.
After armour reduction which is taken in per bullet. 10 total.

:aaa: what the hell am I fighting

Solus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 10, 2012

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

For some reason it gives +20 BS on a Full Auto Burst action. For comparison, in Black Crusade it's -10. Even when playing Dark Heresy nowadays I use the new attack action rules from Black Crusade.

not just that, it also gives more hits per degree of success. If you roll just under your BS, you get to hit three times right there. If you get a lot of successes as a sniper, you hit exactly as hard as you would have with only one success. If you get a lot of successes with a heavy bolter, you get to hit up to ten times. And it's not like it's hard to stack modifiers in combat, although +20 is a pretty huge one.

Black Crusade's +10 single +0 Semi Auto -10 Full Auto is great because different circumstances make each option viable. Maybe you really need to hit a guy and the +10 bonus is a godsend. Maybe you want to do solid damage without missing and you use semi auto (nobody ever used to use semi auto before btw). Maybe you can't miss so feel free to unload with your full auto this one time. In previous games only people who thought they were assassins used single shot, and they were mechanically punished for doing so.

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 10, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Liesmith posted:

not just that, it also gives more hits per degree of success. If you roll just under your BS, you get to hit three times right there. If you get a lot of successes as a sniper, you hit exactly as hard as you would have with only one success. If you get a lot of successes with a heavy bolter, you get to hit up to ten times. And it's not like it's hard to stack modifiers in combat, although +20 is a pretty huge one.

Black Crusade's +10 single +0 Semi Auto -10 Full Auto is great because different circumstances make each option viable. Maybe you really need to hit a guy and the +10 bonus is a godsend. Maybe you want to do solid damage without missing and you use semi auto (nobody ever used to use semi auto before btw). Maybe you can't miss so feel free to unload with your full auto this one time. In previous games only people who thought they were assassins used single shot, and they were mechanically punished for doing so.

Semi-Auto gives you a +10 in Deathwatch, unless we're playing it wrong. It's all we use unless there's a full auto option on the gun, which bolters don't have but the kinda loving broken at close range assault shotguns do.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Swagger Dagger posted:

Semi-Auto gives you a +10 in Deathwatch, unless we're playing it wrong. It's all we use unless there's a full auto option on the gun, which bolters don't have but the kinda loving broken at close range assault shotguns do.

Yeah, what I was saying is that you always picked the most automatic option available because it was both the most likely to hit and the most likely to do damage. You would never pick Semi-Auto if you had a full auto option. It's why they took away the full auto option for most guns and lowered the number of Heavy Bolter hits to 6.

Speaking of more likely to do damage, Righteous Fury. Because you have a chance to RF on every hit, the odds are that the Heavy Bolter arch militant/Devastator is gonna get at least one RF every time he rolls under 10 on his attack roll. Actually a Dark Angels devastator is easily able to get all his hits as long as he rolls under his unmodified BS, just from terrain and range. Meanwhile the guy who is setting up shots, aiming for a full round, just to get the perfect called shot to the dome on some Techpriest? that guy's gonna get righteous fury once every couple of sessions.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Apolgies for poor formatting I am writing this at midnight a few hours after the game and I'm a bit preoccupied with legal dramas but I had to share this before I forgot the cooler details

--

So our party is running a fancy module in which we are helping excavate an Eldar digsite thing next to a Maze City. We own a significant share in the expedition being Space Pimps at all.

Last week we were attacked by Rak'Gol and are forced to retreat into the maze, blocking the entrance with a Chimera, Holding the beasts off for now. We then proceed to explore deeper into the maze to find an alternative entrance. During out travels I, being the void master who happens to be good at surface navigation :psyduck:, managed to find a Eldar making her way through the maze as well. I manage to Sneak past her entirely unnoticed as the Tech Priest Skittari man sets up a fully aimed shot right at her head (he rolls like 140 when setup properly). I cock my custom crafted archaeotech Heavy Stubber to get her attention and she surrenders being outnumbered 40-1 (We have ex-Imperial Guard with us).

We then proceed to tie her up and blindfold her and attempt to interrogate her as to what the gently caress is going on. Our Seneschal, who has Speak Language (Eldar), almost managed to make her spill the beans when we are interrupted by a bloodcurdling screech from deeper in the maze. We recognise it as an Ally who wandered off ealier and the Eldar promises to take us there, as her goal lies there too. In a rush we have to trust her and we all rush off.

What we find is a dead ally and a towering monstrosity. It is covered in scaly armour and looks like it is made up of multiple men. We later find out this thing is the result of the implantation of a Halo Device. We then move to engage it as it seems hell-bent on killing us first.

Our Skittari pops off a shot and it fails to do any damage. The Priest sets it on fire while the Rogue Trader and the seneschel pepper it with bullets all of these doing little to no damage. I then unload 20 rounds into the beast dealing a total of 144 Damage, after reductions due to it's massive toughness and armour only dealing 10. The Astropath then steps up to the plate and attempts to freeze it in place. She rolls doubles. Perils of the Warp time.

The roll makes everone in the room Frenzy. Everyone drops their guns and begins stabbing away at the beast. Those with the heavier melee weapons, such as power swords do a bit of damage but it simply has too much soak. It rolls around to my turn and I'm the last one in Frenzy. I drop my Chain Cannon and draw my Power sword, After getting Righteous Fury Twice I end up dealing around 25 Damage to it. Visibly wounding it for the first time.

I then get bitchslapped taking me from 14 wounds down to two, having it miss it's last attack and me dodging the first as an incredibly lucky stroke. The round rolls around again with everyone trying to take it down and soon it's my turn again. I stand back up and calmly unholster my Melta Gun and use it to light the Cigar permanently clenched between my teeth. I roll to hit. I have to get under 70. I roll a 4. I then roll damage. Righteous Fury. The Warp tainted beast catches fire and the Halo Device explodes in a shower of crystal shards, killing the Beast.

After patching ourselves up we all watch the Eldar start a arcane device in the centre of the room. She tells us that she's rearranging the Maze and it's either keep up or be left behind. After a harrowing sequence of events, in which our priest almost dies after a Rak'Gol snags him, only to end up barbeque'd by the mini flamer attached to his chainsword and I end up carrying the astropath after she turns out to be incredibly slow we end up back at the Chimera.

I then proceed to Run over about 5 Rak'Gol as our Skittari hangs out the top attempted to pull an awesome one and shoot the Eldar in the leg as we're driving at 40kmph through the excavation sight. Unfortunately the Eldar manages to get away and we manage to get back to our giant spaceship in low orbit. We're undecided on wether it's a good idea to nova-cannon the entire planet or not.

Tl:dr - We play a little loose with the rules and I end up being a crazy bastard who runs over aliens with tanks :black101:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Liesmith posted:

Meanwhile the guy who is setting up shots, aiming for a full round, just to get the perfect called shot to the dome on some Techpriest? that guy's gonna get righteous fury once every couple of sessions.
With the new RF system in Black Crusade that seems even more off. Perhaps aimed shots with Accurate weapons and called shots need punching up a bit- RFing on a 9-10, maybe, or rolling 1d10 on the critical tables instead of 1d5. The latter version would need a limit on it though to stop 1 point plinks from killing Hive Tyrants, something like 'The best crit you can get is 5 or the damage you dealt, whichever is higher', which is a bit clunky.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Talkie Toaster posted:

With the new RF system in Black Crusade that seems even more off. Perhaps aimed shots with Accurate weapons and called shots need punching up a bit- RFing on a 9-10, maybe, or rolling 1d10 on the critical tables instead of 1d5. The latter version would need a limit on it though to stop 1 point plinks from killing Hive Tyrants, something like 'The best crit you can get is 5 or the damage you dealt, whichever is higher', which is a bit clunky.

Well, if you are even doing 1 point of damage (and triggering the 1d5 zealous hatred crit) to something like a hive tyrant it will mostly likely be with a weapon beefy enough that the crit damage will be appropriate, since plinky lasgun type weapons wouldn't even penetrate armor/toughness, and therefore would only give you the 1 "lucky shot" damage when you roll a 10.

Anyway, it's not like it's that hard to create talents in BC. Just make a tier 3 Slaanesh talent that gives zealous hatred on 9's for Standard Attacks and Called Shots. Actually, the t3 Slaanesh talent Eye of Vengeance, which lets you spend an infamy point to add a roll's DoS to it's damage and pen, says "increases chances of Zealous Hatred" in table 4-3, so it's obvious they were thinking of doing that but then forgot to change one of the descriptions. Honestly, you might as well change Eye of Vengeance to crits on 9-10 for single attack actions because it's pretty terrible as-is, especially for a tier 3 talent (makes you spend an infamy point before you roll to see if you hit or had any DoS).

On the other hand, the Accurate weapon attribute makes certain single-shot weapons blow even lightning attacks with power weapons away when dealing with high-defense enemies. Decent rolls on a long-las will do much higher and consistent damage against something like a Great Daemon that has double-digit toughness.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since we're talking fiddly rules business, here's a new errata/FAQ type of thing for Black Crusade: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3196

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Since we're talking fiddly rules business, here's a new errata/FAQ type of thing for Black Crusade: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3196

Thanks for the link but drat that's a lot of errata. Just when I thought the rules made sense too...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

How do you guys narrate/interpret wounds in your games? I always interpreted critical damage being when actual "damage" is done to a PC and wounds just being "something else", but it feels weird when a PC gets hit for 11 wounds after reduction but still has 1 wound left and it's just like, "the grenade hits you for 11 wounds :geno:". Then next turn they get hit for 3 wounds and there's a big detailed description of how they scream in agony as their flesh is rent from their body.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How do you guys narrate/interpret wounds in your games? I always interpreted critical damage being when actual "damage" is done to a PC and wounds just being "something else", but it feels weird when a PC gets hit for 11 wounds after reduction but still has 1 wound left and it's just like, "the grenade hits you for 11 wounds :geno:". Then next turn they get hit for 3 wounds and there's a big detailed description of how they scream in agony as their flesh is rent from their body.

I can only speak for Rogue Trader (no idea if the flavor and mechanics differ in other games) but I think of it like this:

Lightly wounded (<= 2x TB): Scrapes, sprains, anything you can walk off.
Heavily wounded: Real injuries that can be healed with no permanent loss of functionality
Critical: Potential/threatening.

My reason for seeing anything more than lightly as 'potentially big deal' is that once they are pastr lightly, you can't (regardless of how high your IB stat is) just patch them up good as new with a first aid roll. They're in the extended care or whatever rules.

If they're in extended care AND past lightly wounded, you are healing on a 'weeks' (not days) timescale.

Obviously wound systems are always abstracted in a weird way - since a lightly wounded person can take a primitive weapon to the head (outside of righteous fury, etc) but something similar might be 'just enough' (if it makes it past TB) on a critically wounded person to suddenly kill them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Depends on the level of damage but generally I'd say wounds represent shock, loss of blood, glancing blows, flesh wounds, minor bones breaking, that sort of thing. Anything that'd slow you down enough for a solid shot to get in and finish the job - a ganger's knife won't be worrying to a flak-clad guardsman in full fighting trim, but if there's eight of you and he's barely standing through bloodloss then you can probably cut his throat eventually.

"The grenade blows you against the wall before you can react, and you hit it hard. Your flak armour takes most of the blast but you're bleeding pretty bad and you think one of your ribs is broken. As the ringing in your ears reaches a crescendo you realise you're a sitting duck in this state - you'd better find some cover! You took 11 wounds and the next damaging hit's probably going to be a critical one."

Stuff like major bones breaking, torrents of blood, being knocked prone and stunning is the domain of genuine critical hits so I'd try to keep them out of descriptions to avoid confusion.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from saying stuff like "the lunge knocks you off your feet and the feral creature nearly chokes the life out of you before you bat it away and stagger to your feet. Dude did eight damage to you thanks to its Unnatural Strength" if people are cool with it and don't think you've made them lose a half-action standing up or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Depends on the level of damage but generally I'd say wounds represent shock, loss of blood, glancing blows, flesh wounds, minor bones breaking, that sort of thing. Anything that'd slow you down enough for a solid shot to get in and finish the job - a ganger's knife won't be worrying to a flak-clad guardsman in full fighting trim, but if there's eight of you and he's barely standing through bloodloss then you can probably cut his throat eventually.

"The grenade blows you against the wall before you can react, and you hit it hard. Your flak armour takes most of the blast but you're bleeding pretty bad and you think one of your ribs is broken. As the ringing in your ears reaches a crescendo you realise you're a sitting duck in this state - you'd better find some cover! You took 11 wounds and the next damaging hit's probably going to be a critical one."

Stuff like major bones breaking, torrents of blood, being knocked prone and stunning is the domain of genuine critical hits so I'd try to keep them out of descriptions to avoid confusion.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from saying stuff like "the lunge knocks you off your feet and the feral creature nearly chokes the life out of you before you bat it away and stagger to your feet. Dude did eight damage to you thanks to its Unnatural Strength" if people are cool with it and don't think you've made them lose a half-action standing up or something.

This is really helpful, thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Trip report for my last session of DH:

Our "combat servitor", a Cybernetic Resurrected Death-Cult Assassin, is now a techno-bear.

We're in a Craftworld sitting right on the edge of the Eye of Terror, and have cut our way through hordes of Eldar, Chaos, Tyranids, and mutated all of the above. Three sessions in, we're walking around and the Assassin is the only one to fail a willpower check, four times in a row.
Now he's a bear.

A few seconds of stunned silence pass, and the Magos who resurrected him says something like "Huh, so that's what the changeling implant does!"

Nonetheless, it's been really handy having a giant-rear end pissed off bear coming along with us to draw aggro so I don't die. He's also great at noticing all the really hostile poo poo coming to kill us, then going first to beat everything to the literal punch.

The Magos keeps installing more monitors into the bear. I'm beginning to have my doubts this "changeling implant" even exists.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
This is particularly to Liesmith, but what's a good way to bullshit through combat? I'm running a play by post game elsewhere and I don't feel like adding in everyone's tokens and trying to make up accurate stats for mooks I just made up out of my head. I'm just bullshitting through attack rolls by the npcs and stuff and just kind of deciding whether I feel like they hit or not based on what I think the most fun would be. Any thoughts? Any rules of thumb?

Right now the party is exploring a derelict warship and they're fighting the survivors of the previous crew, voidsman that turned to heresy. There's no entry in any book it's just some poo poo I made up.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Turtle before the Storm posted:

This is particularly to Liesmith, but what's a good way to bullshit through combat? I'm running a play by post game elsewhere and I don't feel like adding in everyone's tokens and trying to make up accurate stats for mooks I just made up out of my head. I'm just bullshitting through attack rolls by the npcs and stuff and just kind of deciding whether I feel like they hit or not based on what I think the most fun would be. Any thoughts? Any rules of thumb?

Right now the party is exploring a derelict warship and they're fighting the survivors of the previous crew, voidsman that turned to heresy. There's no entry in any book it's just some poo poo I made up.

I'd say only do that by the seat of the pants thing for mooks as you say. I'd pick a arbitrary number for their wounds that felt reasonable, you don't want one to burst every time they get hit for one wound, but then again you dont want them not to die. Feel free to gently caress with this number on the fly since it isn't important except that it's nice to have one. Generally with mooks you don't want to skew their resilience up, but if you let every hit kill them they look like pussies, and that makes your players feel like jerks. Throw in some 'real' opponents and use the mooks as sort of glass cannons, like 4e D&D does with minions only maybe a little tougher. The mooks are there to distract from the pirate captain or eldar farseer or whoever you are really trying to kill. When he dies they all go berserk, or surrender, or run away.

As far as whether they hit: they hit when your players are all shooting at the Ork Nob or whoever, because they are there to punish your players if the players ignore them, and to allow the Nob to rampage a bit if the players try to thin out his followers. If your players are focusing on wiping them out, then they are gonna miss a lot more, and when they hit it's gonna be absorbed by armor most of the time, because if they had high damage output it would take away from the Nob's menace.

EDIT: the only real way to gently caress up here is to make it too obvious that you are faking the fight. And even that isn't so bad although some people get hyper mad about it. Try not to make the change in their effectiveness too obvious, roll all the time even if you don't use the numbers, and keep any critical hits and jams the monsters roll unless it would ruin the fight. Not righteous furies or anything, but if a guy unloads on the whole party with a heavy bolter and gets ten successes, run with it. spread the damage out among the party to make everyone feel like this mook is a threat.

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 11, 2012

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So, how outrageous would it be for a Kill-Team to face a Warboss carrying a daemon weapon?

The reason I'm thinking about this, is that the group is trying to force out Orks who have set up shop in a dark Eldar experiment facility.after running them out years ago. All the war trophies were left and a daemon weapon was one of them. The boss thought it looked dead killy and took it as his own. I planned to generate a random one.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheKingslayer posted:

So, how outrageous would it be for a Kill-Team to face a Warboss carrying a daemon weapon?

The reason I'm thinking about this, is that the group is trying to force out Orks who have set up shop in a dark Eldar experiment facility.after running them out years ago. All the war trophies were left and a daemon weapon was one of them. The boss thought it looked dead killy and took it as his own. I planned to generate a random one.

make it something they can wield. maybe a corrupted chapter treasure! That way one of your party will want to keep it for themselves.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Liesmith posted:

make it something they can wield. maybe a corrupted chapter treasure! That way one of your party will want to keep it for themselves.

That's actually pretty brilliant. I didn't even think of that. Maybe I can introduce it as mundane when they take it at first and slowly corrupt them.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If, when you make it clear that it is a daemon weapon, you can have a bunch of the deathwatch bros want to get rid of it. then the whole chapter whose treasure it is can say "no its ours stay out of our business" and now you've got some inter-chapter friction. The daemon weapon doesn't even have to be that big of a deal in that case, although of course it can be

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That might be some good conflict for the group's aspiring chaplain. now to figure out what this thing is going to look like...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If one of the players happens to be a Blood Raven then you could end up with two Chapters declaring it to be their relic.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"Yes, this relic was passed down to us by your last chapter master. I'm surprised you don't remember."

"The relic we just found on this uninhabited planet? Waaaay on the other side of space from either of our homeworlds?"

"The Emperor works in mysterious ways."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If one of the players happens to be a Blood Raven then you could end up with two Chapters declaring it to be their relic.

In a short Deathwatch game I had, one of the players was a Blood Raven Librarian. When rolling for his armor history, he got the one that meant his armor was cobbled together out of several different Marks/suits.

Nobody ever took their eye off him.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Daeren posted:

In a short Deathwatch game I had, one of the players was a Blood Raven Librarian. When rolling for his armor history, he got the one that meant his armor was cobbled together out of several different Marks/suits.

Nobody ever took their eye off him.

This is fantastic. I always forget about the thieving nature of the BR but that fits perfectly. Even down to the fact he played a librarian.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Just have a Relictor armed to the teeth with daemonic weaponry show up and claim the relic as his own, with the claim that only he has the knowledge and experience with chaos artifacts to use it effectively and avoid possession.

Then after the players defeat him and one of them takes the weapon as their own, have it turn out that the Relictor was right. Roll WP -30 to resist possession. 40k y'all.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 11, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Riso posted:

This is fantastic. I always forget about the thieving nature of the BR but that fits perfectly. Even down to the fact he played a librarian.

They have a thieving nature? Is that from the videogames? I never finished the DoW II expansions.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

They have a thieving nature? Is that from the videogames? I never finished the DoW II expansions.

It's heavily implied in the descriptions for the wargear you pick up, that the Blood Ravens just happen to find legendary relics that fell off the back of a truck all the time.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Ravens#Blood_Magpies

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My group consists of a custom codex compliant chapter, a son of dorn, blood angel, salamander and an ultra. They all play piety to the extreme.

Ok, so the weapon I'm looking at tossing out to the Warboss came out like this...

Chain Greatsword: 2d10+2 R; Pen 3; Tearing, Unbalanced, Swiftness, Razor Sharp, Impervious

Should be fairly nasty to fight against. I'm thinking the Daemon is going have a WP bonus around 60 something and bound level 3.

An Astartes will be mangled badly.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 11, 2012

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TheKingslayer posted:

My group consists of a custom codex compliant chapter, a son of dorn, blood angel, salamander and an ultra. They all play piety to the extreme.

Ok, so the weapon I'm looking at tossing out to the Warboss came out like this...

Chain Greatsword: 2d10+2 R; Pen 3; Tearing, Unbalanced, Swiftness, Razor Sharp, Impervious

Should be fairly nasty to fight against. I'm thinking the Daemon is going have a WP bonus around 60 something and bound level 3.

An Astartes will be mangled badly.

I'm confused. What do Swiftness and Impervious do?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Impervious gives a force field with a percentage equal to the Daemon's WP (which hopefully lets him last long enough against the Devestator to get in close range) and quickness gives unnatural agility equal to the WP bonus. So the 'Boss should have around (10) 43 agility. It will make for an unorthodox combat against Orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't play any of these games actively right now, but I had this idea for a Salamander character inspired by a long-ago White Dwarf issue Chapter Approved for the Salamanders that pointed out (correctly in my view) that traditional assault marine tactics didn't jibe at all with their style or even work very well on a world known for its wildly fluctuating gravity.

So in the chapter-approved, a lot of the assault marines ended up fighting with thunder hammers and/or flamers and meltas, and no jump packs at all, working more closely with the tactical squads than normal. So naturally this got me thinking about an assault marine character from the Salamanders who would not, in fact, have a jump pack or a chain sword.

Then I saw the Salamander rules in First Founding which are, in my opinion, insulting. Okay, I know, everyone has their favorites and the Sallies are my favorite First Founding dudes, but they got the shaft really drat hard in the First Founding book. If I recall they had one (1) melee weapon which was basically a snazzy chainsword, one ranged weapon which was basically a heavy flamer but worse, and the one super-iconic wargear they had to have, the Salamander's Mantle, ended up with a "counts as" rule.

The extra tech use and toughness stats are really appreciated, I won't fault anything there, but the chapter... trait, I think it was called? was Resist Heat. I think if you level up enough you get to be actually resistant to fire damage. Okay, but that's 1: boring and 2: makes no drat sense. How often is Resist Heat going to come up in a game compared to an interesting trait? How do Salamanders get fireproof skin? Couldn't they have had some kind of bonus to using flame weapons or something, something that made sense and could be flavorful? Oh, and their Primarch's Curse gives them worse cohesion penalties than the Iron Hands'. Salamanders - worse than the Iron Hands at working with allies.

But this next thing is just great; it really sets the tone for the Salamanders treatment through the whole book. In the included scenario, the Killteam lands on a volcanic world in constant tectonic flux, with massive volcanic eruptions and earthquakes all over the drat place. To recognize that one First Founding chapter hails from exactly this kind of planet, the book gives a +10 bonus to navigation test to... Space Wolf characters.

I know there are people who work at FFG in some capacity in the thread and I have to say from what I've seen the company has done a great job with all these titles. I have to admit I don't even own this title that I'm complaining about, but, but the Salamanders... Three pieces of wargear. The other chapters have how many? Heat resist is ever going to get used? The volcano planet gives a bonus to Space Wolves?

But what I was really, really hoping to see in there was what I mentioned at the beginning of this post, now rant. Some alternative assault squad rules.

So for people who actually have gotten to play this game and have some experience: how hard would it be to get a Salamander assault marine character a thunder hammer and/or storm shield as standard issue?

And if you think that's not ambitious enough, how about that storm shield being made out of a big shieldlike salamander skull? These Deathwatch guys are supposed to be badasses already, and Salamanders kill like three salamanders before breakfast on a normal day already, so I'm thinking this guy took an especially impressive specimen back to his forge, dipped its skull in adamantium, and then built a storm shield field emitter into the underside/brain cavity. You have to admit, building wargear out of dragon skulls is kind of what the Salamanders live for.

So if you're still thinking, "okay, that's not really overpowered or unrealistic in Deathwatch" how about we stick a flamer through the skull's nasal passages so the nozzle sits just inside one nostril hole, and the pilot burns in the other, and then connect the whole drat thing to a backpack tank through the foramen magnum. I guess in the rules you'd call that an arm-mounted flamer that is also a storm shield, depending on how you want to use it that turn.

So now you're looking at an assault marine who doesn't have any of his normal assault marine wargear, and instead has a thunder hammer in one hand, and a flamer/storm shield in the other hand, and probably a bolt pistol, and a Salamander's Mantle of course. I mean just duh. I don't think they even let you into Salamander meetings unless you're wearing pieces of at least three different native reptiloids.

Oh and he probably would need like, an entirely new advance scheme, because he sure as hell isn't touching all those dual wielding attack skills or anything that mentions rending damage.

So GMs, how game-shattering is this guy, and how much XP would you have to spend to convince someone to let him take that poo poo? I think it's pretty fluffy but I can see it being somewhat unorthodox. Crush my dream. Or don't.

There is no tl;dr. The post is not coherent enough for that.