Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

What the hell is that game on his computer?

Looks like some sort of "romance" sim, not a clue which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS
If anyone has screen caps or links to anything other than a SA archive of the GBS thread on "Emails from grandma" or something similar,I would be grateful.

What I'm specifically after is the sweet, nutty, gooey, chocolatey "A marine was sitting in a lecture.." center and the following hilarity.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44

JohnSherman posted:

What the hell is that game on his computer?

You can find the clip about 24 minutes into the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ybGP3ys4E

The particular part is :NSFW: and the game looks like it's a dating/undress the anime schoolgirls sim.

quote:

If anyone has screen caps or links to anything other than a SA archive of the GBS thread on "Emails from grandma" or something similar,I would be grateful.

What I'm specifically after is the sweet, nutty, gooey, chocolatey "A marine was sitting in a lecture.." center and the following hilarity.

Do you now when it was posted? As far as I know, archives are still unsearchable.

rivid fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 11, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A while back in the Archer thread, someone posted a version of the Mulatto Butts ringtone that was cut down to the parts used in the show. I've found a number of hits for it, including the post here, but all the links go to sites that are either hosting the original, unedited file or expired downloads from rapidshare and such. Anyone still have that file? I lost mine in a hardware crash.

KrzysztofKomeda
Jan 5, 2009
There was a flash game I can remember from a few years ago which was a grid of mini-games and it would zoom out of one and into a new one of them at random every few seconds and you had to try stay alive in as many of them as possible for as long as possible. It was pretty fast paced and brightly coloured as far as I remember too.

The only thing my googling has found is a game called Multitask, which is pretty fun - but not the right game. Anybody know what I may be thinking of here?

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

Im looking for an old thread here on something awful, It was about a goon who's old grade school teacher made the class do a time capsule. In it was a letter from his mother, who later died in his childhood. He opens the time capsule as an adult and winds up reading the very touching letter in front of the family who would later wind up a crying mess. The whole thing was very beautiful.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008
So I found something rather amazing while looking for ascii art:

http://www.geocities.com/spunk1111/computer.htm#card

A real working Geocities site. Maybe there are no flaming skull gifs and maybe the text isn't green on black, but it is a reminder of a simpler time; a time before Facebook and Tumblr.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm trying my best to give an accurate date, but somewhere around 1996 or 1997 there was a website whose name was "The Ant Army" (or something similar) and the "Ant" part stood for "Antagonist." The website had a bunch of biographies drawn up like 90's comic book characters, and each one had a rank in the aforementioned Ant Army. At some point, these bios unlocked and everybody raced to "claim" one, almost like an avatar. I vaguely remembering claiming one, but I cannot figure out what the hell the website was about or what happened to it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theangryamoeba posted:

So I found something rather amazing while looking for ascii art:

http://www.geocities.com/spunk1111/computer.htm#card

A real working Geocities site.
How is this even possible? I mean, obviously someone/something messed up along the line, but it mystifies me to think that there was either some manual component to the "delete Geocities" process and it got missed, or that some Yahoo employee secretly wanted this page to stay up forever. HOW MANY OTHERS ARE THERE?!?!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Quarex posted:

How is this even possible? I mean, obviously someone/something messed up along the line, but it mystifies me to think that there was either some manual component to the "delete Geocities" process and it got missed, or that some Yahoo employee secretly wanted this page to stay up forever. HOW MANY OTHERS ARE THERE?!?!

Geocities was never deleted, you just can't make new pages.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Saint Darwin posted:

Geocities was never deleted, you just can't make new pages.
Then why did all of the articles about the end of GeoCities talk about Yahoo deleting a decade of Internet history without caring about the impact? I certainly know every time I try to go to a GeoCities link on any page from pre-2009 ever, it does not work.

Yahoo says: (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geocities/close/): What happened to my GeoCities web address?

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files. When visitors go to your GeoCities web address after October 26, they'll see a page letting them know that GeoCities has closed.

The Internet Archive, a nonprofit founded to build an Internet library and archive the public Web, worked to archive as many GeoCities web sites as possible before GeoCities closed. To see if your site was preserved, visit Archive.org and enter your site's web address in the field provided. See details.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm trying my best to give an accurate date, but somewhere around 1996 or 1997 there was a website whose name was "The Ant Army" (or something similar) and the "Ant" part stood for "Antagonist." The website had a bunch of biographies drawn up like 90's comic book characters, and each one had a rank in the aforementioned Ant Army. At some point, these bios unlocked and everybody raced to "claim" one, almost like an avatar. I vaguely remembering claiming one, but I cannot figure out what the hell the website was about or what happened to it.

That was AOL's super edgy replacement for their "keyword: video games" page if I recall.

Disco Prince
Apr 29, 2012

push the button

rivid posted:

Does anyone know what this image is from? I did a reverse image search and nothing came up.

Its from a french documentary on otakus, its on netflix called "Otaku: fils de l'empire virtuel". Theres an english subtitled version of it as well and I think that's the one the screencap is from.

It's really boring but a cool insight to see how rabid fans of stuff functioned normally without widespread internet.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I remember this hosed up multi part comic series of this guy who loses his cat, and we find out it was taken by these crazy fly people. They eventually steal him and take him back to this big colony in the sky, where the victims of the flies are killed and then reborn in this pool every night, but every day when they come back to life they slowly get more deformed and hideous. The guy eventually escapes and it ends with him eating somebody else's cat at the end.

It was really dark and hosed up and poorly drawn. The same person drew a bunch of other webcomics but this 4 (i think) part one is the only one I really remember.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Lego Robot. He's a bit of a persona non gratis on SA.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Splicer posted:

Lego Robot. He's a bit of a persona non gratis on SA.

"Grata"

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hell knows why this popped into my head, but here we go:

In the late 90s/early 00s I remember a game series I downloaded which involved your visiting every planet, one game per planet. You had to stop an alien invasion, I think.

They were side scrolling platformers and I specifically remember the Neptune one. You had a gas mask because of the methane and unless I'm remembering wrong, there were space cows whose farts caused the methane.

Anyone remember what the hell I'm talking about?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Air Julio posted:

Back in '03 or '04 at the height of ebaum's world's popularity, there was an old looping flash animation in a style similar to monty python. There was some vocal noise that was pitched up followed by a regular sounding voice that said something to the effect of "oooh-hoo-hoo" and then the whole thing would repeat. For reference, it was out around the same time as Space People and gently caress, poo poo, Piss. I've searched on and off for years and can never find it. It's become something of an inside joke with a buddy of mine, and I'd love to find the video again so we can rewatch it.

Sup Julio? :chord:

This is what came to mind, man: :nws: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/doodoocaca :nws:

Sorry for the delay.

e: the only thing that doesn't match is the 'looping' part, but the rest of your description sounds about right.
e2: added :nws: for nazi imagery, KKK and misuse of Martin Luther King, Jr.

nippythefish fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 30, 2012

Karupin
Feb 27, 2007

...and that whoever has this crystal ball gets the power to unite the world... Eh? I was tricked? Really!?

KrzysztofKomeda posted:

There was a flash game I can remember from a few years ago which was a grid of mini-games and it would zoom out of one and into a new one of them at random every few seconds and you had to try stay alive in as many of them as possible for as long as possible. It was pretty fast paced and brightly coloured as far as I remember too.

The only thing my googling has found is a game called Multitask, which is pretty fun - but not the right game. Anybody know what I may be thinking of here?

Was it 4 Second Fury?

To request, I'm looking for a video that parodied videos on different sites with a 'first date' theme, most of them started out with "I've never dated anyone from the ___ store before."

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

KrzysztofKomeda posted:

Sounds like Grid16.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Somewhere there is a forum for people who like to pose wrestle dolls and take pictures of them, and there was a guy who made ridiculous threads, some featuring the disembodied head of a wrestler as a commentator. I'm pretty sure I first found out about them here on SA and I'd like to read them again!

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Air Julio posted:

Back in '03 or '04 at the height of ebaum's world's popularity, there was an old looping flash animation in a style similar to monty python. There was some vocal noise that was pitched up followed by a regular sounding voice that said something to the effect of "oooh-hoo-hoo" and then the whole thing would repeat. For reference, it was out around the same time as Space People and gently caress, poo poo, Piss. I've searched on and off for years and can never find it. It's become something of an inside joke with a buddy of mine, and I'd love to find the video again so we can rewatch it.

Or was it La La La La La La La La La Ooh Hoo Hoo?

KrzysztofKomeda
Jan 5, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

Sounds like Grid16.

This is it! Thank you very much, sir!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Somewhere there is a forum for people who like to pose wrestle dolls and take pictures of them, and there was a guy who made ridiculous threads, some featuring the disembodied head of a wrestler as a commentator. I'm pretty sure I first found out about them here on SA and I'd like to read them again!
This JUST came up in some thread in Punchsport Pagoda ... I am not going to be able to find it easily, but it was either one of the wrestling picture/.gif threads or the "wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread. The original place they were hosted is gone, but somebody had an archive of one of them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Quarex posted:

This JUST came up in some thread in Punchsport Pagoda ... I am not going to be able to find it easily, but it was either one of the wrestling picture/.gif threads or the "wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread. The original place they were hosted is gone, but somebody had an archive of one of them.
Thanks. I looked through those threads and didn't find it, but some wild googling brought up a mirror of one of the originals.
http://www.cleanandquiet.com/mc/simons/Wrestlingfigs_com%20Forums%20-%20Royal%20Rumble.htm

e: They're all here: http://www.cleanandquiet.com/mc/simons/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This a hell of a long shot, but I swear there was a voice add-on pack for the PC game Atomic Bomberman that was very heavy on the vulgarity (an equivalent to Redneck Rampage's Cuss Pack), and may have featured celebrity voices (possibly Billy Bon Thornton). I'm fairly sure this was somewhat official on Interplay's part (at least as much as something with the F-word in it could be) but I could well have been misled or confused. I cannot find this for the life of me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

m2pt5 posted:

I'm looking for a flash (I think it was a flash), possibly from the Flash Tub (or at least by shmorky) that had a bit in it about a girl with three arms made of x-rays. I think it also had a bunch of guys in an office asking "did you get the memo?". I tried looking through the Tub archives but I can't find it.

The first one you described is still there. The second bit sounds like The Adventures of Xenon but I'm probably way off on that one.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The first one you described is still there. The second bit sounds like The Adventures of Xenon but I'm probably way off on that one.

Both of those are right, I just couldn't find the first one because of the name, and I somehow got them conflated in my head.

mgrif
Jun 27, 2005

Bunnee is delightful and haunts my dreams.
I am looking for a series of 3 articles on Apple, Microsoft, and Linux. It detailed the history and what they did right and wrong in their business models, OS design, and what they borrowed from each other. I think it was on Wired or I may have seen it on slashdot or Ars Technica, or maybe some other tech blog. They were published about 3-4 years ago.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Back in 2006 somebody posted a huge collection of SA-related images they had saved over the years in a thread in GBS. I just found that collection lurking on a dusty old hard drive and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to share it... many of these images were ancient forums history even in 2006. Most of them are less amusing than I remember them being, but some of them are still pretty good. Plenty of tasteless photoshops, pictures of people making funny faces, mocking of the less-fortunate, cat photos, owl photos, animated GIFs, image macros, ancient SA memes, and what have you.

So here's the whole ~1600 image collection: sa_images.zip (rapidshare, sorry)

A small sample:

Linked for tables

Edit: hopefully this hasn't been posted already, I just noticed this thread goes all the way back to 2008 so it's almost as old as the collection!

seiken fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 1, 2012

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

seiken posted:

Back in 2006 somebody posted a huge collection of SA-related images they had saved over the years in a thread in GBS. I just found that collection lurking on a dusty old hard drive and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to share it... many of these images were ancient forums history even in 2006. Most of them are less amusing than I remember them being, but some of them are still pretty good. Plenty of tasteless photoshops, pictures of people making funny faces, mocking of the less-fortunate, cat photos, owl photos, animated GIFs, image macros, ancient SA memes, and what have you.

So here's the whole ~1600 image collection: sa_images.zip (rapidshare, sorry)
Good stuff! Anybody want to put these up on alluvion.org? I will if they ever finish downloading....

(No offense to seiken's Rapidshare account intended.)

vvv Thanks! Does anyone know how to persuade uTorrent 3.1 that you've already downloaded something and want to associate it with a particular torrent? vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Oh, okay, that's a good idea. (I don't know how good my upload will be though, maybe a couple people could seed from the rapidshare link or something. Edit: ^^^ oh, I'm not sure, usually if I set the folder to where it is it just works. Did you try both the folder where the images are and the parent folder? I'm not sure which it should be.)

Download torrent81 (1601 files; 175.70 MB)
View torrent stats

seiken fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 1, 2012

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

seiken posted:

Edit: ^^^ oh, I'm not sure, usually if I set the folder to where it is it just works. Did you try both the folder where the images are and the parent folder? I'm not sure which it should be.)
It's in both now, but not doing anything. I'll leave it overnight, maybe it needs to compare hashes or something.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Lately I've been remembering this browser based RPG I played at the library as a kid. It was pretty much all text based with maybe a picture of what you were fighting. The boss was a lich or a necromancer for sure. Anyway, it used popup windows to ask whether you wanted to attack or not, so you could just hold down the enter key to grind on whatever monster it threw at you. I'd watch as my health got near 1, then let go of the enter key, and go to town to rest up and sell stuff.

Instead of reading books.

At the library.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012

hollaback grandma posted:

was it Mucha Lucha? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A1Mucha_Lucha!
there was a pig guy in it:

No, sorry, I remember it quite well, and I know that Mucha Lucha was different, it was more of an Anime art style, the protag was like a prince of a wrestling nation or something like that.
Edit - loving FOUND IT
It's called Kinniku Mantaro... Ahh, my first anime. The memories... The butthurt of not knowing what the christ was going on...
A taste - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwqX-2DwI2A
BTW, better known in Western world as Ultimate Muscle.

4533josh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 2, 2012

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Okay. It's a story of a guy who worked at a steel mill, or nuclear power plant, or someplace they had an incinerator. He disappeared under mysterious circumstances, but later there were some bone fragments or a wedding ring in the molten steel (or whatever it was). He had discovered some kind of problem in the work place, or something like that, so there was some suspicion it may have been a coverup, but also it could have been a suicide? The gist is that the guy just disappeared, but was probably incinerated.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

barbudo posted:

Okay. It's a story of a guy who worked at a steel mill, or nuclear power plant, or someplace they had an incinerator. He disappeared under mysterious circumstances, but later there were some bone fragments or a wedding ring in the molten steel (or whatever it was). He had discovered some kind of problem in the work place, or something like that, so there was some suspicion it may have been a coverup, but also it could have been a suicide? The gist is that the guy just disappeared, but was probably incinerated.

I don't remember the name of the guy or anything, but if it helps jog anyone's memory - it was an unsolved mysteries episode. I remember reading about it originally in a thread on SA and then seeing it in a linked video.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
found it. Thanks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So I'm looking for this song that is essentially a walkthrough of the old text adventure game Zork. I think the track is actually called "Walkthrough" but I don't remember who the creators are. I had a tindeck link favorited but it has apparently been removed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

voltron lion force posted:

So I'm looking for this song that is essentially a walkthrough of the old text adventure game Zork. I think the track is actually called "Walkthrough" but I don't remember who the creators are. I had a tindeck link favorited but it has apparently been removed or something.

I hadn't heard it before, but with a bit of googling, the url that nearly everyone linked to was this one, and it's 404'd. (I'd like to hear it too!)

Edit: I threw a request note through the contact form on the frontpage of that domain, so I'll post if they respond.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 7, 2012

• Locked thread