Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Awesome that it fixed itself, but in case you actually do need it down the road, Titanium Backup can repair Market connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of a tip calculator app that has a widget included? The only one I've found doesn't include a numerical percentage adjuster on it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MisterBibs posted:

Does anyone know of a tip calculator app that has a widget included? The only one I've found doesn't include a numerical percentage adjuster on it.

Why do you need a dedicated tip calculator? What's wrong with just a regular calculator widget?

For that matter, figuring out a tip in your head is crazy easy. Move the decimal point to the left one space, drop the last digit, there's 10%. Double it for your standard 20% tip. If service was bad, remove a bit, if it was really good, maybe add a bit.

Edit: Oh God, this is going to start a tip debate, isn't it :ohdear:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Better yet how can you not do simple math like that in your head?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
A widget/calculator is probably pretty helpful when you're shitfaced.

Also, some people just can't do math like that in their head, don't be a dick.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I may have a problem with my browser on my TF-201. Sometimes when loading web pages it'll 'load' the page. All it shows though is a white back ground. It will continue to do this, but only for that web page. To fix it I either have to back up a few pages, go to a different web page then I go back to the link I was trying to view.

Does anyone else experience this and is there a possible fix for it?

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
I've asked this a few times in other threads and in the IRC channel, but have yet to get any response.

I'm on a build of CM7 and would like to know of the best screenshot app out there right now. I used to use and love ShootMe until the dev pulled it and it stopped working altogether. I've been using the built-in CM7 screenshot tool in the meantime but it doesn't work at all for taking shots of games; I end up with just a black screen.

There's a couple I've seen on the store but they're all paid apps, so I don't wanna just dive in and hope it fits my needs.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Splizwarf posted:

A widget/calculator is probably pretty helpful when you're shitfaced.

Also, some people just can't do math like that in their head, don't be a dick.
You can't figure out 10 percent in your head and apply the appropriate double, half of double? Those are pretty simple calculations.

In actual app news really liking the Easy Battery Saver app so far.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

AlexMoron posted:

There's a couple I've seen on the store but they're all paid apps, so I don't wanna just dive in and hope it fits my needs.

The 15 minute return window should be enough time to test and see if the screenshot app will work inside of a game.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm interested in the Android ecosystem, and my long term goals are to eventually be in a position where I can actively contribute to AOSP/CyanogenMod or something like that.

Obviously I can't just jump in and make a mess of things so to begin with, I thought I'd start with learning how to code Android applications.

I would like my knowledge to be based on pretty solid foundations, so does anyone know any good resources to get me started with learning to program in Java and/or Android?

Please note that I am deaf so Youtube/video/audio tutorials are of no use to me.

Your help would be much appreciated. :)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Odette posted:

I'm interested in the Android ecosystem, and my long term goals are to eventually be in a position where I can actively contribute to AOSP/CyanogenMod or something like that.

Obviously I can't just jump in and make a mess of things so to begin with, I thought I'd start with learning how to code Android applications.

I would like my knowledge to be based on pretty solid foundations, so does anyone know any good resources to get me started with learning to program in Java and/or Android?

Please note that I am deaf so Youtube/video/audio tutorials are of no use to me.

Take a look at The Cavern of COBOL > I Like Robot Sex - Android Development Megathread

theuser
Jan 27, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 9, 2012

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂ†

SlayVus posted:

I may have a problem with my browser on my TF-201. Sometimes when loading web pages it'll 'load' the page. All it shows though is a white back ground. It will continue to do this, but only for that web page. To fix it I either have to back up a few pages, go to a different web page then I go back to the link I was trying to view.

Does anyone else experience this and is there a possible fix for it?

Do you have force 2d HW rendering on?

Odette posted:

Go to the source

http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html for Android
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ for Java

And use this http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ as your IDE. Standard Java one will be fine.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Odette posted:

I'm interested in the Android ecosystem, .... Obviously I can't just jump in and make a mess of things so to begin with,
You'd be surprised, a lot of folks jump in exactly that way, for better or worse.

Odette posted:

Not sure about a beginning Java resource. Truth is, it's good to have a grasp of Java syntax, OOP, etc., but you don't really need much experience with the Java standard library. Aside from some core classes, most of Android uses its own API.

For Android app development, the developers site is pretty decent. Download the SDK and walk through some of the tutorials. I haven't bought any books on Android app development (haven't really needed to yet), but I like the Pragmatic Programmers stuff, so Hello, Android is probably what I'd pick up.

All that in mind, Android platform (ROM) development is really a whole different beast. The framework side of it is still Java, and most of the APIs are the same as the application ones, but there's two big differences. First, you don't really need lots of application development experience to make contributing changes to Android itself. You're generally not going to introduce huge changes, but make a bunch of small ones. Usually there's already code in the framework that serves as a boilerplate for what you want to do, so it's a combination of copying/pasting and modifying it appropriately to do what you want. Thus, it's a different skill set than application design.

The second issue is that the Android platform is huge. ICS is 18 GBish (if I'm remembering right) of source code alone. Platform development is almost exclusively done on Linux machines (in theory a Mac would work, but I don't think anyone does that in practice). It's also very large and, in some ways, unwieldy. It doesn't even fit inside a single Git repository, but rather is comprised of a few hundred repositories stitched together. I've never tried using Eclipse on the entire code base, I imagine it would choke, so knowledge of Linux command line utilities (find, grep, etc.) to "quickly" search through the sources is a huge help. That said, it's usually not too hard to figure out which package needs to be modified to implement some feature, which narrows the scope of the code you have to look at considerably.

In short, Android app development is a fine thing to learn, but app development vs. platform development is mostly two different skill sets, so don't worry if you're not an app expert before diving into the other side.

Edit: Also, see the development megathread.
Edit edit: f, b.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

calcio posted:

You can't figure out 10 percent in your head and apply the appropriate double, half of double? Those are pretty simple calculations.

There was one app I had on the iphone that had the tip, etc, but also let you easily split the bill by number of people. And also check if they split the total and tip or bill only. It was pretty nice for large parties

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

calcio posted:

Looks like this is the same idea as Juice Defender. Any particular advantages over that app? Other than being free, of course.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

calcio posted:

I have no problem doing that, but some people do. It requires a certain amount of abstract mental manipulation that not everyone has, and the people without it aren't necessarily dumb, just not able to toss around mental numbers.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Stupid Kindle app killed my phone last night. I fell asleep reading and the screen never turned itself off. If I hadn't woken up to use the bathroom I wouldn't have noticed and my phone alarm wouldn't have gone off. Would have sucked.

Why is there no auto off option after say, 10 minutes of inactivity?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Stupid Kindle app killed my phone last night. I fell asleep reading and the screen never turned itself off. If I hadn't woken up to use the bathroom I wouldn't have noticed and my phone alarm wouldn't have gone off. Would have sucked.

Kindle app probably has a persistent 'keep on' toggle or something.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I didn't see it in the options anywhere, so if it exists, it's hidden.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
I have a feeling this is a pretty huge longshot, but does anyone know of an app that'll allow me to transcode my Nex5 1080p MP4/AVCHD videos to something smaller for youtube uploads? Will be travelling with my Transformer Prime, hoping there's something out there that'll put the Tegra3 to decent use.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

On my Nook Color, the Kindle app does turn the screen off although it doesn't respect the system-level setting. If I set my timeout to 30 seconds it turns the screen off in 2 minutes. If I leave my timeout set to 10 minutes, it stays on for 12 minutes. I'm not sure how they decide how long to keep the screen on, but there's no option to change it.

Changing topic. I bought Pocket Casts based on everyone's recommendations. It is fairly slick but it has a couple things I dislike.

-- You can't delete a downloaded podcast from the player (if it is playing) or the playlist.
-- The playlist auto-adds in downloaded order rather than staying in date order.
-- There's no way to make it so the << and >> buttons in the player seek time-wise in the player. Skipping is handled via this odd, touch the left or right side of the image, but not in the middle because that makes the context icons appear and there's no long press menu.
-- 5MB application that uses 41MB of RAM? I used to use Podkicker which was 270kb and used less than half the RAM. I only looked for alternatives when it stopped playing one of my podcasts accurately.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is anyone having problems with the web Store not seeing that you have a phone? Mine claim I don't have any active devices but I'm able to use the Store on my Nexus S 4G just fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

New beta of woofi. Barring any reported bugs that aren't easy fixes, it will be on the market within a few days. New features and bug fixes at the link. You can give me feedback here, in a comment on the blog, or on G+.

A lot of appreciation to those who have helped beta test in the past!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the current calendar favourite? I have been using Jorte forever but now that I have ICS I figure there might be something better around.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
I have been using business calendar. There might be better calendars, but I found it to be better than the default gingerbread calendar. The new calendar app on ics looks really nice, so if you are running ics perhaps you want to give the default app another shot before possibly paying.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Can anyone recommend a decent Android media player that can handle external subtitles? I imagine there is one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
VitalPlayer will, although I'm not sure how good/bad it is. I use it because it was the one I was on when I got tired of trying new video players. v:shobon:v

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Flopstick posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent Android media player that can handle external subtitles? I imagine there is one.

I use MX Player, works well enough.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I really, really don't like how the latest Market version keeps a record of every single app I've installed, ever, under the 'All' tab in My Apps.

I mean, at the very least I'd alphabetise the list or something; that would make a lot more sense than sorting by last install date. Ideally I'd like to be able to remove the 'xxxxx FREE VERSION' from the list, too; but as it stands currently it's frustrating to scroll through every single app ever, pick one, realise it's not the one I was looking for, hit back, and be dumped back at the top of the list again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

spincube posted:

I really, really don't like how the latest Market version keeps a record of every single app I've installed, ever, under the 'All' tab in My Apps.

I mean, at the very least I'd alphabetise the list or something; that would make a lot more sense than sorting by last install date. Ideally I'd like to be able to remove the 'xxxxx FREE VERSION' from the list, too; but as it stands currently it's frustrating to scroll through every single app ever, pick one, realise it's not the one I was looking for, hit back, and be dumped back at the top of the list again.

Really bugs me, too. As it stands it's not useful. Something that you might want to use it for is "hey I tried a bunch of rss readers but there was one I really liked and can't remember the name," but it doesn't work that way because they all show up on your list. I guess if I actually rated everything I downloaded it might be a little more helpful, because it shows the stars underneath, presumably using your rating if it exists. I don't keep that much stuff on my phone but goddamn there's a shitload of stuff that has been on there at one point or another.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

New beta of woofi. Barring any reported bugs that aren't easy fixes, it will be on the market within a few days. New features and bug fixes at the link. You can give me feedback here, in a comment on the blog, or on G+.

The woofi unlocker doesn't seem to get picked up in this version. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the unlocker, however woofi still reports that I don't have the paid version.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

is this different then the latest beta posted a while ago, or identical, just the market version ?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rotaryfun posted:

The woofi unlocker doesn't seem to get picked up in this version. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the unlocker, however woofi still reports that I don't have the paid version.

Thanks. Will fix this evening.

Roundboy posted:

is this different then the latest beta posted a while ago, or identical, just the market version ?

Its new. Click the link for a description.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Splizwarf posted:

VitalPlayer will, although I'm not sure how good/bad it is. I use it because it was the one I was on when I got tired of trying new video players. v:shobon:v

Ragingsheep posted:

I use MX Player, works well enough.

Cheers, will give these a go.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
edit never mind.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Really bugs me, too. As it stands it's not useful. Something that you might want to use it for is "hey I tried a bunch of rss readers but there was one I really liked and can't remember the name," but it doesn't work that way because they all show up on your list. I guess if I actually rated everything I downloaded it might be a little more helpful, because it shows the stars underneath, presumably using your rating if it exists. I don't keep that much stuff on my phone but goddamn there's a shitload of stuff that has been on there at one point or another.

I'm trying to figure out why they thought it was a good idea and can't come up with anything. I have to scroll through like 1000 apps to find anything I've actually purchased, they should at least have those in a separate section from "free stuff I uninstalled for a reason and will never use again".

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I played around with UberMusic on a friends phone the other day and was really impressed with it. Definitely see why everyone likes it so much. If it (or any other app) were able to access my Google Music account, I'd jump all over it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I will be getting a Kindle Fire within the next week or so. Do the aps I've bought on my phone extend to that? Like since I own X on my phone can I install it to my Fire too without buying it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

IRQ posted:

I will be getting a Kindle Fire within the next week or so. Do the aps I've bought on my phone extend to that? Like since I own X on my phone can I install it to my Fire too without buying it again?

Out of the box, only if you bought them from the Amazon app store, assuming the app is compatible with the Fire. You can root and put the Play store on there, and most things will work fine.

• Locked thread