Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVQW5yXkNg

Don't know why, but the old "kids making a blow pop commercial" popped into my head, and I figured it would be perfect for this thread.

say from Charms
What?
CUT, CUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

When I think of 90's clothes I think of what are basically human rainbows

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Beast Wars was pretty sweet and was something I watched before school every morning over my cereal.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Man, I remember getting the Shark guy from Beast Wars as a present for being brave when going to hospital :3:

I never watched much of the show so I always presumed he was a bad guy, but reading the wiki it turns out he's good which makes me pretty happy. I always pretended he was secretly a good guy anyway.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

While updating my 90s blog the day (was doing advertisements) I remembered these silly things that permeated Canadian airwaves throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. They still run the ones they can get away with (fashion wise)!

I think the House Hippo is a Canadian cultural icon on par with poutine or perhaps milk in bags.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Shebrew posted:

This was originally aired in the 1980s, but I had a VHS of it and I remember watching it all the time when I grew up in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVwkMhbmGM

Holy poo poo, I haven't thought about this movie in years. I had this tape, too, and I watched it at least once a day for months. Surprisingly I still know all of the words to that song.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

My Little Puni posted:

You know, I thought it was doom, but those guys aren't quite like the monsters I remember. They were just a big eyeball, really nothing more. It's possible I'm misremembering though and it really was Doom.

Was it Corridor 7? It had a handful of giant eyeball enemies: http://corridor7.tripod.com/cast.htm

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

MageMage posted:

Was it Corridor 7? It had a handful of giant eyeball enemies: http://corridor7.tripod.com/cast.htm

I think it turned out to be Rise of the Triad, but thanks for reminding me of Corridor 7. That Tripod site is a nice bit of 90's nostalgia itself.

My cousin dragged me to this when it was in theaters.

Imagine you are the producer that has funded a project starring one of the most popular musicians at the moment. You arrive to the first screening with visions of dollar signs and palatial estates dancing through your yuppie skull, confident you have a hit. The atmosphere is joyous as your fellow investors are all high-fives, cocaine, and Zimas tonight. The lights dim and your eyes slowly gloss over. Within 10 minutes you are sweating through your business Zubas, clammy hands and feet shaking without your control. You are watching your career, possibly your very essence as a human being, drain into the bucket that is Vanilla Ice's vacant expression as he spends 90 minutes brooding on, or sometimes while standing next to, a motorcycle. He keeps saying catchphrases that he has printed on his own drat leather jacket. Every "yep yep," every "Word to Your Mother" uttered as the camera cleverly pans across the appropriate section of clothing turns into a vicious spell designed to rip your spirit into a fine mist, and it's working quickly now.

That said, I highly recommend watching this. It's probably one of my favorite comedies and it's great for reminding me of how easily Purple Rain could have turned out lovely, and how cool Prince really is. Just remember the tagline:

quote:

When a girl
has a heart of stone,
There's only one way
to melt it.

Just add Ice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Holy Cow posted:

I never watched much of the show so I always presumed he was a bad guy, but reading the wiki it turns out he's good which makes me pretty happy. I always pretended he was secretly a good guy anyway.

If by 'good guy' you mean 'was never actually on the show, but just one of the 100's of toys they made of 'extra' characters, usually just a slightly modified and/or repainted model of an existing character to make more :20bux: and randomly decided to make a Maximal' then yeah, he's a good guy.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

TShields posted:

This thread has almost made me think that I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers "Eek the Cat". I used to love that loving show for some reason..

You're not the only one, and you used to love it because it was (is) really funny and cool.

Anyway, did anyone mention the following yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

Everyone remembers Barbie Girl, of course (there was no escaping it whatsoever), but not everyone might be aware that it begat a big-hit parody by Ome Henk - the Dutch "Weird Al" Yankovic, if you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMIkZMkvgmU

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.

TShields posted:

This thread has almost made me think that I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers "Eek the Cat". I used to love that loving show for some reason..

Another one nobody else seems to remember is "Widget the World Watcher". He was a purple shape-changing alien who had a floating computer in his watch. I don't remember what Widget did, exactly, but I feel like it was entertaining.

I remember both of these quite well, but Eek! was something I watched religiously. Mainly because of it's kick-rear end theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdqKgc7jsc

But there's always one thing that will forever be ingrained into my head, and that would be watching this scene of Ren & Stimpy with not just my parents, but all of my cousins and my grandmother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW3Roqmfr94
"Stimpy's Fan Club" on Netfilks

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

VoilaIntruder posted:

I think it turned out to be Rise of the Triad, but thanks for reminding me of Corridor 7. That Tripod site is a nice bit of 90's nostalgia itself.

Corridor 7 gave me one of the most terrifying gaming experiences of my life in my early teens. My uncle worked for some company related to Video Toaster/Amiga and so he always had a nice PC set up to a receiver/speakers, which I'd crank up when I was rocking out to whatever game. One night I'm playing Corridor 7 in a pitch black room save for what's on the monitor, with the speakers turned up higher than they should've been, and suddenly this laughing skull comes out of nowhere and goes right through me and disappears. It was partly deafening, partly blinding and completely loving terrifying.

Reading that link, it looks to be an enemy called Solrac. Okay, awesome, I didn't imagine it and I wasn't marked for death by satan.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Eek was a great cartoon, and The Whining Pirates of Tortuga has to be my favorite episode. Eek singing 'one million bottles of milk on the wall' and the pirate made entirely of peg legs (named Peg) were just fried gold. Edit: Eekpocalypse Now! was pretty great too

There was a youtube video posted a couple of years ago that was just basically a ton of clips of clichéd '90s stuff (including chunks of footage from Cool as Ice), all set to loads of awesome New Jack Swing. I can't find it, and I was wondering if anyone else knew what the hell I was talking about?

root beer has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Apr 11, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This show came on at a half-hour interval, like 7:30 in the morning, before school so I always say the first half of the cartoon and left during the commercial break. For all I know, they never produced a complete episode.

The Observer
Jan 16, 2010

I loved this show as a kid, but I'm too embarrassed by it to even watch the opening now...
:megaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc :megaman:

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Oak Read Erryday posted:

Corridor 7 gave me one of the most terrifying gaming experiences of my life in my early teens. My uncle worked for some company related to Video Toaster/Amiga and so he always had a nice PC set up to a receiver/speakers, which I'd crank up when I was rocking out to whatever game. One night I'm playing Corridor 7 in a pitch black room save for what's on the monitor, with the speakers turned up higher than they should've been, and suddenly this laughing skull comes out of nowhere and goes right through me and disappears. It was partly deafening, partly blinding and completely loving terrifying.

Reading that link, it looks to be an enemy called Solrac. Okay, awesome, I didn't imagine it and I wasn't marked for death by satan.

I had a similar experience with the sewer monsters in Dark Forces.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

The Observer posted:

I loved this show as a kid, but I'm too embarrassed by it to even watch the opening now...
:megaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc :megaman:

How about the German opening? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-NRCAW90o

Or save yourself the embarrassment and just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE

It's probably the only part of the show worth watching and it's only 50 seconds long!

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

If by 'good guy' you mean 'was never actually on the show, but just one of the 100's of toys they made of 'extra' characters, usually just a slightly modified and/or repainted model of an existing character to make more :20bux: and randomly decided to make a Maximal' then yeah, he's a good guy.

The wiki said he was a swashbuckling adventurer and that's good enough for me.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Oh god that reminds me of a cultural phenomenon that really took off in the 90s and that was the Collector's Market.
The trend became big with beanie babies after too. Price guides were loving EVERYWHERE. I remember sports cards and TCGs like Pokemon all have price guides too which is why they carried binders around with sleeves, to keep them in mint condition. Kids genuinely thought they were gonna be rich some day when these guides gave them unrealistic numbers of over $100 for a mint condition Princess Diana Beanie Baby (And that was in 90s! Think in a few decades!).

The only thing that seemed to actually appreciate is Magic cards

Unlimited (white border) Black Lotus is about $1,000
Revised Underground Sea (white border) is $250 (so $1,000 for a playset)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was going through my CDs this morning and that reminded me of another 90's thing, at least in my area. I'd say a good third of my CDs have a little blue "the wall" lifetime guarantee sticker on them.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

A'ight suckaz peep this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTEU_e2qS1U

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pseudonym posted:

A'ight suckaz peep this

You know, I probably haven't seen this commercial in twenty years, I'd completely forgotten about it (and I have an incredible memory), and yet, as soon as the beat hit, I was reciting the words as if I were 12 years old again. The mind works in mysterious ways.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
The 90s were a pretty good time for me. My earliest 90s memories are all music-based, stuff like The KLF and The Prodigy when I was around 13/14. Both totally camp cheese in their own right, but at the time they were chart revolutions that destroyed the sheeple losers who bought mainstream American crap like Paula Abdul and Belinda Carlisle.

Being a 90s edgy-as-hell teen was hard work. We didn't have the internet, and the word sheeple didn't even exist.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
Remember when Bart Simpson had a music career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKC7Oz6ZrRU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeanG4lwYpE&feature=related

One of my earliest memories as a baby in the early 90s was going to the local shopping centre with my parents and seeing people in giant Simpsons costumes on a stage dancing to Do The Bartman while I was in a stroller watching from a balcony above them.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Pseudonym posted:

A'ight suckaz peep this

Is...is that Sir Mix-A-Lot? :psyduck:

How did I never realize that?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Does anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hy6Kb_MAdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CxMIwSMtSc

This game was my childhood. I remember playing this at a friend's house and I was jealous at him for so long for actually owning it. We played the poo poo out of it back in the day.

I tried it out again recently and I gotta say it holds up better than I expected it would. It has a big open world you can explore (which blowed my mind when I first tried it back in 1997), a fantastic soundtrack and lot's of charm. The combat is super clunky and the game as a whole is not very challenging though. But still, it's a fun piece of 90's nostalgia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The 90s were an amazing time to be an elementary schooler. Please allow me to drag you back in time with the following additions to the thread.

1. Roughnecks: Starship Troopers

So much better than the loving movie, with absolutely amazing graphics (for the time), great character development (to a 10 year old), and a good story line. I watched this every morning before school.

2. Ronin Warriors

I don't know how I didn't become an annoying anime nerd after falling in love with this series when it first came out in the US when I was about 6 or 7 years old. My brother and I watched every episode.

3. Dark Forces

Pretty much the seminal Star Wars shooter, it was basically Doom, but with more Star Wars. It also launched the Jedi Knight titles that we all came to know and love. This was also the first game that we bought on our brand new Acer Aspire that was purchased in 1995 and that initially sparked my interest in computers, leading to who I am today: a successful nerd who posts on Something Awful.

4. Command and Conquer/C&C: Red Alert/C&C: Tiberian Sun

They might have all been mentioned in the thread already, but you all know that nothing was cooler than that loving ant level in Red Alert. Command and Conquer: Gold Edition introduced me to online games via Westwood Online, oh the memories.

5. Tie Fighter

Another fantastic Star Wars game. I spent so many hours playing the deluxe edition of this, hoooly poo poo.

6. Descent/Descent II

Robots have rebelled and taken over some mines n' poo poo! Go blow them up with your super awesome spacecraft that has lasers and missiles and whatnot. I freakin' loved these games, for some reason. They were actually kind of ominous and scary to my 7/8 year old self.

psydude has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Apr 16, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

For Sarah Michelle Gellar's birthday yesterday, Much Music Canada ran a Buffy marathon extending well into the afternoon. I managed to catch most of it and it reminded me of what the quintessential '90s teen show was: dark, high school-related, and peppered with comedy (but only in appropriate places, there was a lot of drama in these babies).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

psydude posted:

3. Dark Forces

Pretty much the seminal Star Wars shooter, it was basically Doom, but with more Star Wars. It also launched the Jedi Knight titles that we all came to know and love. This was also the first game that we bought on our brand new Acer Aspire that was purchased in 1995 and that initially sparked my interest in computers, leading to who I am today: a successful nerd who posts on Something Awful.

That screen is actually from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Its graphics were light-years ahead of Dark Forces' graphics...

...which are so bad by today's standards that the game in its original form is almost unplayable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought they looked a little too sharp for the original Dark Forces when I GISed them. Still, the graphics in the original were on par with Skyrim in my mid-90s eyes.

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

this loving show. Netflix has all of the "regular" episodes (no college years or whatever came after), and I've been casually playing some episodes, but I still can't figure out why I liked it so much.

Conversely, a show that still owns, Love Connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUnRIzwbgkA

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

claptrap posted:

this loving show. Netflix has all of the "regular" episodes (no college years or whatever came after), and I've been casually playing some episodes, but I still can't figure out why I liked it so much.
I came across this on Netflix the other day. I couldn't even make it half-way through an episode. Holy christ is it bad, but I'll be damned if I didn't watch it every single time it was on.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

psydude posted:

6. Descent/Descent II

Robots have rebelled and taken over some mines n' poo poo! Go blow them up with your super awesome spacecraft that has lasers and missiles and whatnot. I freakin' loved these games, for some reason. They were actually kind of ominous and scary to my 7/8 year old self.
Descent II was sooo tough to beat. I loved every sadomasochistic, disorientating minute of it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Palpatine MD posted:

Descent II was sooo tough to beat. I loved every sadomasochistic, disorientating minute of it.

I would kill for a Descent reboot.

Actually, is there anything like Descent or TIE Fighter out there today? I just realized it's been ages since I've played any sort of free-flying space shooter.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I don't remember the graphics being so horrible on those 90s games. I thought Dark Forces was so loving awesome when it came out. Descent was fun in small doses, but I got motion sickness after playing too long.

I'm going to be watching some Saved by the Bell tonight on Netflix!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

psydude posted:

So much better than the loving movie, with absolutely amazing graphics (for the time), great character development (to a 10 year old), and a good story line. I watched this every morning before school.

And even better when you grow up, and realize that Beethoven's Pathetique is the music in the intro.

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

psydude posted:

The 90s were an amazing time to be an elementary schooler. Please allow me to drag you back in time with the following additions to the thread.

1. Roughnecks: Starship Troopers

The Starship Troopers film is cynical, rad, and one of the more prescient products of late 90's cinema. I like Roughnecks too, but for very different reasons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VoilaIntruder posted:

The Starship Troopers film is cynical, rad, and one of the more prescient products of late 90's cinema. I like Roughnecks too, but for very different reasons.

I had to look up the intro for the Beethoven and apparently Verhoeven was the executive producer. Makes me wonder if it was as subversive as the movie or if he just signed off for a check.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Argyle posted:

Actually, is there anything like Descent or TIE Fighter out there today? I just realized it's been ages since I've played any sort of free-flying space shooter.

The full space sim line from Lucasarts pretty much died with X-Wing Alliance. Apparently its still playable with some tweaks and the graphics are decent for something that was cranked out at the end of the 90s (it was released February of '99.) I'd install it if I still had a joystick.

Due to consoles taking over the bulk of the gaming market we'll probably never see another pure flight-sim style game again - everything will be a third-person arcade-style sim :argh:

VoilaIntruder posted:

While we're on the topic (of Starship Troopers and 90s PC games), anyone else ever play this game?

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. It was a pretty good game for the time (I think it came out right at the end of 1999,) not without its flaws but it utilized the power suits from the book that they cut out in the movie. Its into the domain of abandonware and the full game is available for download.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm pretty sure there was some talk of Captain N in here, but this show was super hosed up. Here's a clip from a second season episode aired in 1990. Captain N and crew have to fight Game Boy in Burger Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FSZqma9haFk#t=92s

I think this was the TV show that taught me as a child that cartoons are made by sleazy adults to make a quick buck off of kids.

• Locked thread