Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

wheez the roux posted:

Is there any reason to think the 15" MBPs will be out this month and not rolled out in the Summer alongside the 13" laptops that just entered production?
Chip availability, if you believe MacRumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

Is there any reason to think the 15" MBPs will be out this month and not rolled out in the Summer alongside the 13" laptops that just entered production?

Additionally, the fact that the 15s are starting to get shipping delays/low stock.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/10/reseller-shortages-hint-at-forthcoming-update-for-15-inch-macbook-pro/

e: vvv Maybe not retina displays, but they might make the default resolution higher and make 1080p an option (or 1080p default). If they change the form factor and get rid of other things, they might not have room to put a battery/gpu which could support that resolution + heat.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 10, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I am a little sad, if a 15" is shipping this month, then it most likely means no retina display. (I am assuming we have to wait for ML machines for that.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a way to get the iMac screen off without suction cups? I was trying to slide it off with my thumbs and it only moved over about 1/16th of an inch, but you can tell it shifted over.

Trying to get work to buy me a 256GB SSD but I'm still going to be held back by this i3.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Am I missing some kind of in-joke by Apple? When I googled for "Apple Repair Status", I got this among the results:

http://www.apple.com/support/repairstatus/repair_detail3.html

No, I didn't bring a busted rear end Powerbook G4 for repair, no, I'm not Craig Ellsworth and no, I don't have a session cookie for that person either on any of my computers.

If I was Apple, I'd consider fixing this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
We are all Craig Ellsworth :tinfoil:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

They appear to be static pages, though for what purpose I have no idea. http://www.apple.com/support/repairstatus/repair_detail2.html is also valid.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

So they're both from the same school and both got declined... I guess there was the following discussion one fine day back in 2005:

"Look sir, no matter whether you're gonna call yourself 'Craig Ellsworth' or 'Michael' or whatever this time, we told you we're not going to fix your powerbooks that the kids used for playing frisbee - and if you don't shut up about it, we're going to make your info public on our site!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to get the iMac screen off without suction cups?

I don't think so Tim

Bob Morales posted:

I was trying to slide it off with my thumbs and it only moved over about 1/16th of an inch, but you can tell it shifted over.

You'll never get it off reliably like that. You could try a plastic screwdriver but bear in mind there are like eight (or more on a 27" iMac) powerful as gently caress neodymium magnets holding the screen in place right AT the edges. It's more likely using your fingers will result in a scene from Carrie. The glass Apple uses is in no way tempered (cracks up into pebbly chunks that don't pierce the skin unless you try real hard, like auto glass) or reinforced. Putting undue strain in a concentrated spot will likely result in cracking / shattering. Apple warns techs that the glass is a safety hazard, too.

Glass handling pros routinely use suction cups. And that's what Apple tells their techs to use.

Try buying two of these things and place them at any two diagonal corners, then lift straight up. Easy.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 11, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I use an old car mount for a Palm Treo that was in the clearance bin at Fry's. It kinda looks like this guy:

It's not the ideal tool for the job, but for a couple of bucks it does the trick.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oneiros posted:

They appear to be static pages, though for what purpose I have no idea. http://www.apple.com/support/repairstatus/repair_detail2.html is also valid.

Most likely for training purposes, AppleCare pages looked like that right about the same time those models were actively selling.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Binary Badger posted:

I don't think so Tim

You'll never get it off reliably like that. You could try a plastic screwdriver but bear in mind there are like eight (or more on a 27" iMac) powerful as gently caress neodymium magnets holding the screen in place right AT the edges. It's more likely using your fingers will result in a scene from Carrie. The glass Apple uses is in no way tempered or reinforced. Putting undue strain in a concentrated spot will likely result in cracking / shattering. Apple warns techs that the glass is a safety hazard, too.

Glass handling pros routinely use suction cups. And that's what Apple tells their techs to use.

Try buying two of these things and place them at any two diagonal corners, then lift straight up. Easy.

Why did you link him to the correct tool for the job, then link him to something more expensive that is not meant for use with glass?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Paco de Suave posted:

Why did you link him to the correct tool for the job, then link him to something more expensive that is not meant for use with glass?

Trying too hard. Post has been corrected.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Most likely for training purposes, AppleCare pages looked like that right about the same time those models were actively selling.

I figured something like that too, but kinda strange still because they're making it look like they're exposing information that they ought to keep private.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On a more serious note, from the looks of it I won't need any funky HD cables or temp sensor simulators for a 2010 21.5" i3, right?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Binary Badger posted:

You'll never get it off reliably like that. You could try a plastic screwdriver but bear in mind there are like eight (or more on a 27" iMac) powerful as gently caress neodymium magnets holding the screen in place right AT the edges. It's more likely using your fingers will result in a scene from Carrie.

No offense, but this is total bullshit.

The only way I have EVER taken off the glass on my 27" iMac is with my fingers. I've done it several times with zero issues.

I went ahead and did it again just now, and used my free hand to take a picture:

Granted it takes two hands to pull the glass off (one to hold the computer steady and the other to pull the glass away) because the magnets ARE strong, but it's very doable and you certainly don't need any special tools. Not even suction cups.

If you treat the glass like glass (imagine that!) it's not going to break.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2012

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Finally pulled the trigger on an iPad. Hooray! Now the wait...
I'll be using it with a few paid music apps that I also use on my iPhone.

How does that work? Will it just let me use the same apps since each device is tied to my account, or will I need to transfer the license or purchase another one for the pad?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Probably just the hinge gettin' loose. I've had to open mine up and tighten it before. My mbp is a late 2008 unibody, which uses T6 torx screws for the hinge.

Post from way back, had time to pull the laptop apart (swapped my ram for some samsung 1600 DDR3) and decided to get down to the hinge torx screws. Slightly loosened them and realigned the screen to perfect position, as you and 1997 said just a slight shift in the screen from travel/etc.

Side note; you really need to loctite the case screws back in because they work out/loose over time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vas0line posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on an iPad. Hooray! Now the wait...
I'll be using it with a few paid music apps that I also use on my iPhone.

How does that work? Will it just let me use the same apps since each device is tied to my account, or will I need to transfer the license or purchase another one for the pad?
Wrong thread :ssh:

But yeah purchases are tied to your account, just go to the Purchased tab in the App Store to see everything. It's also quicker to install through there since it doesn't go back to the home screen every time you hit install.

Here's the iOS apps thread, but there's a few others (like iPad specific ones) in the same forum:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336298

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Accipiter posted:

The only way I have EVER taken off the glass on my 27" iMac is with my fingers. I've done it several times with zero issues.

I went ahead and did it again just now, and used my free hand to take a picture:

Granted it takes two hands to pull the glass off (one to hold the computer steady and the other to pull the glass away) because the magnets ARE strong, but it's very doable and you certainly don't need any special tools. Not even suction cups.

That won't work on the models which don't have edge-to-edge glass. That's why suction cups are an incredibly reasonable tool to recommend.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

japtor posted:

Wrong thread :ssh:

But yeah purchases are tied to your account, just go to the Purchased tab in the App Store to see everything. It's also quicker to install through there since it doesn't go back to the home screen every time you hit install.

Here's the iOS apps thread, but there's a few others (like iPad specific ones) in the same forum:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336298
Ah ha. Thanxxx! I'll do some reading over there.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My 2007 macbook white has just had its second hard drive death in 7 months, and the battery life is essentially non-existent. I could get another hard drive and have the Apple Store put OS X back on it yet again (lost my discs) but it's starting to seem like more time/money than it's worth.

I know there's supposed to be a major refresh on the pro line soon, but how soon? I've read some people say end of April and others say mid-July. I'd really rather not go 3 months without a laptop.

The other option I'm considering is ignoring the coming refresh and buying a refurbished pro. I feel like I've heard positive things about refurbished macs, but it also seems like a dangerous thing to do. Are refurbished macs worth it?

What I want from a new computer is a higher resolution screen than 1280 x 800 (my old macbook's screen) for Photoshop work, as well as moderately good gaming. I don't care about running Battlefield 3 on full settings or anything, but I'd like to maybe be able to at least play current games at 720p on medium settings with 30 fps. I mean, gaming isn't really a priority, as I'm very happy with my Xbox, but I'd really like the option to grab the occasional modern PC game.

Should I wait for the refresh, get a refurbished computer, or maybe get an Air or something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

All I can say is that goons seldom get hosed over with refurbs, and in some cases refurbs come with added value, like a 320 GB drive instead of the original 250 or more RAM than was mentioned in the listing.

From the thread FAQ:

quote:

Should I trust refurbished Macs direct from Apple?

Many goons here in the Hardware thread have bought them and swear by them. Apple rigorously tests most refurbished Macs and 'refresh' them before they're placed back for sale; you get a cheaper machine that's already been serviced and comes with all the benefits (warranty period reset, AppleCare eligibility) of a new Mac.

Here is what Apple says about their refurbishment process:

Apple posted:

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
• is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
• is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
• is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
• is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
• includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system.
• is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
• is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
• Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

• Substantial savings
• A fully functional unit with complete documentation
• The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components
• a Post-It with the words 'pls fix creak' from timb

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 11, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Store is down! :ohdear:

(Probably something minor but hey)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:supaburn: OH GOD

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Likely the store re-design since it's a new "store down" thing instead of that sticky note.

I hope it's the new MBPs though!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Likely the store re-design since it's a new "store down" thing instead of that sticky note.

I hope it's the new MBPs though!

I think you mean the "Revolutionary New Macbook" :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I hope it updates with officially-licensed Steve action figures.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Oh man I hope they delete the disc drives (if it's MBPs).

edit: but it's probably not :'(

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I was hoping for a new look to the update post-it note soon. Something without the yellow and a bit bigger. Looks like they delivered. Ordered.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SimpleCoax posted:

I was hoping for a new look to the update post-it note soon. Something without the yellow and a bit bigger. Looks like they delivered. Ordered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmuth/997674912/

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
On the 14 day return thing, will I be able to use my student discount again if I buy another MBP?

I have a MBP 13" which I got Monday last week. I was waiting on a laptop from university but had to finish and deliver some work so ended up getting it out of my own cash and keeping the receipt so I can get reimbursed. Regretting it a little now with upcoming refreshes and being £900 out of pocket. Also kinda hoping that if they do refresh they'll put the 13" MBA screen in the MBP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently someone noticed LiquidMetal wasn't necessary for ejecting SIM cards.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

My 2007 macbook white has just had its second hard drive death in 7 months, and the battery life is essentially non-existent. I could get another hard drive and have the Apple Store put OS X back on it yet again (lost my discs) but it's starting to seem like more time/money than it's worth.

I know there's supposed to be a major refresh on the pro line soon, but how soon? I've read some people say end of April and others say mid-July.
Next week at 5 pm.

Nobody knows for sure. Read the first post of the thread.

Bass Bottles posted:

I'd really rather not go 3 months without a laptop.
Not trying to single you out (considering there have been at least four such posts that I can remember within the last few days), but do some people ever plan ahead? You and these other people have been watching their 2007 or whatever MacBooks fall apart visibly in slow motion (HD failures, parts breaking off, display breaking and whatnot) while just sitting there and making no provisions for the inevitable moment when the whole thing breaks for good.

I'm surprised at the amount at people who supposedly can't live without a computer and then they have exactly one.

I can really understand it if people don't have much money, but if you can afford any MacBook (Pro or not), you can also afford some cheap backup desktop or laptop machine of some kind that may cost you $200-300.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rorty posted:

On the 14 day return thing, will I be able to use my student discount again if I buy another MBP?

Yes, they don't actually check that poo poo... at least in my 10-12 experiences.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

flavor posted:

Next week at 5 pm.

Nobody knows for sure. Read the first post of the thread.

Not trying to single you out (considering there have been at least four such posts that I can remember within the last few days), but do some people ever plan ahead? You and these other people have been watching their 2007 or whatever MacBooks fall apart visibly in slow motion (HD failures, parts breaking off, display breaking and whatnot) while just sitting there and making no provisions for the inevitable moment when the whole thing breaks for good.

When I bought the new hard drive 7 months ago I really thought it would at least be able to last until the next refresh. I guess it sort of WAS my "backup".

But mostly what I was asking was if there was a specific model out there already that would meet my needs (higher resolution, moderate-gaming), whether it was a new Air or a refurbished Pro or whatever. I'm curious about the new refresh, but maybe buying refurbished would be a smarter choice for someone like me who doesn't really need the latest and greatest and would like to save some money.

I feel pretty stupid for forgetting to check the OP first, though. That was probably where I read about refurbished units in the first place :doh:

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 11, 2012

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm curious about the new refresh, but maybe buying refurbished would be a smarter choice for someone like me who doesn't really need the latest and greatest and would like to save some money.

Check your local Craigslist if you live in a big city. I found an old 2010 15" MBP with the anti-glare high res upgrade for $1200 a couple days ago. It was the i7 version with 8GB of ram.

It's now my main computer now and it's fast enough for my needs. I just swapped in an SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Accipiter posted:

The glass is stronger than I thought. Just popped mine off.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bass Bottles posted:

I know there's supposed to be a major refresh on the pro line soon, but how soon? I've read some people say end of April and others say mid-July. I'd really rather not go 3 months without a laptop.
Well, what size do you want?

A lot of retailers are reporting not going more stock of 15" models, which usually indicates an update coming very soon. On the other hand, updates to the 13" and 17" are likely a few months off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Well, what size do you want?

A lot of retailers are reporting not going more stock of 15" models, which usually indicates an update coming very soon. On the other hand, updates to the 13" and 17" are likely a few months off.

The 15" and 17" could update at the same time since they use quad-core chips. The dual-cores don't come out till June so that would be a reason for the 13" to be stuck until then.

I'd take a quad 13" without discrete graphics. Hell I'd take a 15" with Intel graphics only, since I don't need 3D graphics.