Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

Just did a rewatch of I Am Legend, and I love the first two acts of that film (as well as the original ending sequence) to death. It's a fantastic exploration of grief, isolation, and guilt- can anyone recommend some post-apocalyptic movies that hit some of the same thematic notes? The Road is one I've seen that would definitely qualify... what else is out there that's got the same feel?

Carriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I need films that are exciting, relatively recent (2008-2011) and good. I'm looking at lists of top recent films and can't really find anything exciting inside them. What I'm looking to cater to is a group of friends who don't like films that are too slow or get caught up in too much subtext that it's hard to catch. They hated Syriana, didn't really care for Eastern Promises and are more taken with films like Taken, which are fast-paced even at the expense of depth.

I for one don't really want a trashy movie though so I'm wondering if there's something that'd work with them but won't make me roll my eyes constantly. It doesn't have to be an action film, it could be a thriller or even a drama film but it's gotta have some charm for both a film enthusiast and the lowest common denominator kind of person. It's a tough line to straddle so I'm hoping to get some help here.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I need films that are exciting, relatively recent (2008-2011) and good. I'm looking at lists of top recent films and can't really find anything exciting inside them. What I'm looking to cater to is a group of friends who don't like films that are too slow or get caught up in too much subtext that it's hard to catch. They hated Syriana, didn't really care for Eastern Promises and are more taken with films like Taken, which are fast-paced even at the expense of depth.

I for one don't really want a trashy movie though so I'm wondering if there's something that'd work with them but won't make me roll my eyes constantly. It doesn't have to be an action film, it could be a thriller or even a drama film but it's gotta have some charm for both a film enthusiast and the lowest common denominator kind of person. It's a tough line to straddle so I'm hoping to get some help here.
I filtered my criticker to action films from 08-11. Here are my favorites that aren't too slow:

Attack the Block, Source Code, Scott Pilgrim, Mission Impossible 4, Rango, Conan the Barbarian, Green Hornet, Star Trek, The A-Team, Hobo with a Shotgun, In Bruges, Tron Legacy, Tropic Thunder, Black Dynamite, Pineapple Express, District 9, Avatar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Punisher War Zone, Crank High Voltage, Universal Soldier Regeneration, Rambo, Hurt Locker, Sherlock Holmes, and Zombieland

and if they are okay with subtitles:
Inglourious Basterds, The Good the Bad and the Weird, 13 Assassins, Chocolate, The Chaser, Ip Man, and Dead Snow

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'd go with District 9 or Drive if you guys haven't watched those.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Does Children of Men count?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

fenix down posted:

I filtered my criticker to action films from 08-11. Here are my favorites that aren't too slow:

Attack the Block, Source Code, Scott Pilgrim, Mission Impossible 4, Rango, Conan the Barbarian, Green Hornet, Star Trek, The A-Team, Hobo with a Shotgun, In Bruges, Tron Legacy, Tropic Thunder, Black Dynamite, Pineapple Express, District 9, Avatar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Punisher War Zone, Crank High Voltage, Universal Soldier Regeneration, Rambo, Hurt Locker, Sherlock Holmes, and Zombieland

and if they are okay with subtitles:
Inglourious Basterds, The Good the Bad and the Weird, 13 Assassins, Chocolate, The Chaser, Ip Man, and Dead Snow
This is a glorious list, takes a load of research off me. Thanks!

And I'm considering Drive too, Parachute. I've watched it and it's probably cool enough to cover the slow parts for my friends.

foodfight, that looks good too. Looks like one even I'll like :D

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm making my way through Joe Dante's filmography and I noticed that I have never seen Explorers, even though it looks like it would have been right up my alley when I was a kid. Is it worth tracking down?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Parachute posted:

I'm making my way through Joe Dante's filmography and I noticed that I have never seen Explorers, even though it looks like it would have been right up my alley when I was a kid. Is it worth tracking down?

No. It's horrible.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

No. It's horrible.

Way to piss on my childhood.

Spaceship named Thunder Road! River Phoenix playing a nerd named Wolfgang! Tilt-a-whirls and circuit boards!

In all honesty, I watched this with my nephew a few years ago. If you turn it off once they get into space, it is a decent movie. Everything after that, though, is poo poo.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Explorers is very much a film of two halves. I watched it both back in the day, and fairly recently. Both times I had the same reaction, but the second time I knew what had happened.

The first half of the film is pure ‘80s sci-fi kids' adventure gold. A group of kids building a spaceship out of junk, it's pure wish fulfilment and it ties into every 10 year old boy's wildest fantasy.

The second half, when they actually get to space ... eh. Turns out they ran out of time and budget and bascially shipped what they had, and what they had .... eh. The idea of what they find, and what happens there, is great. But the execution, and the effects, really don't carry it off.

Overall, it's very much a film that is an example of what might have been as opposed to what is, but for the first half alone it is still very much worth hunting down. Go into it expecting to be disappointed by the second half and you can still enjoy the rest which is the very definition of an overlooked film. The first half is comparable to Flight of the Navigator in quality, and I so wish that they had been able to finish it properly.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I just picked up Destroy All Movies!!! The Complete Guide to Punks on Film from my library and it is completely awesome. Can anyone recommend any other books that are similar?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I absolutely loved Attack the Block and Four Lions. Any recommendations for similar movies?

EDIT: Also, I know this isn't really the place to post about it, but it's pretty pathetic that most of the criticism I'm seeing online for Attack the Block is something along the lines of 'The characters are unredeemable thugs!' :rolleyes: So, gently caress those people. What are some other movies about the underclass/so called unredeemable protagonists.

bowser fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 31, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

bowser posted:

I absolutely loved Attack the Block and Four Lions. Any recommendations for similar movies?

EDIT: Also, I know this isn't really the place to post about it, but it's pretty pathetic that most of the criticism I'm seeing online for Attack the Block is something along the lines of 'The characters are unredeemable thugs!' :rolleyes: So, gently caress those people. What are some other movies about the underclass/so called unredeemable protagonists.

It's ultimately not so much a dark comedy as a drama with a bunch of jokes in, but La Haine is a great example of a sympathetic but unapologetically frank depiction of the Parisian underclass/ethnic minorities, if you can stand subtitles (and you ought to for a film like La Haine, it's pretty watchable). This Is England and Do The Right Thing would also qualify if dramas are okay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bowser posted:

I saw The People Under the Stairs the other day and enjoyed it, although not really for the same reasons that I liked Attack the Block. The protagonist has a similar character arc of young criminal -> community hero, and although the script is honestly terrible there ends up being a kind of surreal genius to it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

bowser posted:

You need to see the film I.D. about a group of police officers going undercover with a bunch of football hooligans. It's the best film about football ever made, and you never see a single second of a football match. The lines about who is who get very blurred, plus it's one of the best films ever made and is a genuine hidden classic.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Ever since I watched Drive a few months ago I've had the biggest hankering for more Michael Mann-style films. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything of his with the feel of Manhunter or Heat. (I enjoyed Collateral, Ali, and what I've seen of The Insider and Miami Vice—both the show and the film—but none of those did it for me.) I hope this isn't as broad a question as I fear it is, but what are some other "art/crime" films like Drive or Manhunter (besides Tarantino's stuff, almost all of which I've seen)?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You've probably seen them but
Taxi Driver
Leon: The Professional

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CloseFriend posted:

Ever since I watched Drive a few months ago I've had the biggest hankering for more Michael Mann-style films. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything of his with the feel of Manhunter or Heat. (I enjoyed Collateral, Ali, and what I've seen of The Insider and Miami Vice—both the show and the film—but none of those did it for me.) I hope this isn't as broad a question as I fear it is, but what are some other "art/crime" films like Drive or Manhunter (besides Tarantino's stuff, almost all of which I've seen)?

I remember Ronin having a similar feel to Mann's stuff, but it's been a while. I could just be conflating it with Heat.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Personally I'd say Ronin doesn't fill that part in any way other than the festishistic relationship towards cars. You might want to check out Bullitt though, which really feels similiar to Drive: if a little more plot-driven, the direction of it is very much like Drive in its lingering way.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So, after having The Spook Who Sat By The Door recommended to me in the General Chat thread, I'm curious as to what other extremely radical films there are. It doesn't necessarily have to be race related, although I definitely welcome those. Anything with a major revolutionary message.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

So, after having The Spook Who Sat By The Door recommended to me in the General Chat thread, I'm curious as to what other extremely radical films there are. It doesn't necessarily have to be race related, although I definitely welcome those. Anything with a major revolutionary message.

Putney Swope
The Edge (1968)
In the Year of the Pig
Punishment Park
Harlan County USA
Watermelon Man

Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song

and

Ice

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

Ice

I've seen Sweet Sweetback and love it. This looks perfect, do you know what year it's from because there's a few movies by the name.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I've seen Sweet Sweetback and love it. This looks perfect, do you know what year it's from because there's a few movies by the name.

1969, by Robert Kramer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Born In Flames rates a mention.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CloseFriend posted:

Pusher
Its by the same director as Drive.

Gomorrah
Its like the perfect combination of Scorsese and Mann, its a super gritty mob movie about Italy, but shot in a really cool style. Also as part of the critereon collection, its on Netflix and Hulu+.

Dabangg and Once Upon A Time in Mumbai
Are both stylish Indian action flicks. Don't let the Bolywood veneer fool you, both those movies are quality stuff.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alright, got another one. Where should I start with Roger Corman? I've seen a few things he's produced (including Death Race 2000 which I love), but nothing that he's directed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Poe adaptations. I'm partial to Masque of the Red Death but Fall of the House of Usher rules.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Alright, got another one. Where should I start with Roger Corman? I've seen a few things he's produced (including Death Race 2000 which I love), but nothing that he's directed.
This came out a couple weeks ago: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185371/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For some reason I didn't get around to watching The Sweet Smell of Success until last night. It's obviously famous these days for its crackerjack dialogue, but even having seen a handful of the big noir films of the time I can't remember any dialogue that sharp, quick, and unrelenting. What else out there hits the same marks?

I'm open to current neo-noir like Brick as well, but that film aside it seems like nobody is willing to go as stylized as back in the heyday.

e: Thanks for the suggestions so far, y'all. Unfortunately all of them are covered under the "handful of the big noir films" I was referring to. Oh well, about time for a rewatch anyway!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 17, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

For some reason I didn't get around to watching The Sweet Smell of Success until last night. It's obviously famous these days for its crackerjack dialogue, but even having seen a handful of the big noir films of the time I can't remember any dialogue that sharp, quick, and unrelenting. What else out there hits the same marks?

I'm open to current neo-noir like Brick as well, but that film aside it seems like nobody is willing to go as stylized as back in the heyday.

Double Indemnity and The Maltese Faclon also have some great lines.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

The Pit and the Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher, and Tales of Terror are all good. But by far the best of his I've seen is The Intruder (Movie of the Month a while back).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Try His Girl Friday. Some of the most sharp, quick, unrelenting dialog I've heard.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Can anyone recommend some kind of film with some hosed up imagery like Begotten, preferably with some freaky scene where you're not entirely sure of what you're looking at but you know its either scary as hell, brutal as hell, or freaky as hell. The older and lesser known the movie is the better. Bonus points if it's public domain.

It doesn't have to be a good movie with a good story, just needs some Begotten style hosed up weird poo poo going on.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I recently took my twelve year old daughter to see Woman in Black, starring Harry Potter. This is the first ghost story film she's seen and she loved the fright it gave her - enough to want to cuddle her dad but not enough to give her nightmares.

Anyone know of any similar films? Ghost stories that don't really contain any violence (I showed her The Awakening and there's a very short violent scene in that involving a man and woman and she hated that), but that are creepy rather than outright disturbing or terrifying. Any help would be appreciated, she's coming to stay soon and I would like to get some DVDs for her to watch in the dark. I keep thinking I will try Poltergeist (I loved that when I was her age) but that might be a step too far too soon.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Anyone know of any similar films? Ghost stories that don't really contain any violence (I showed her The Awakening and there's a very short violent scene in that involving a man and woman and she hated that), but that are creepy rather than outright disturbing or terrifying.
This is actually harder than I thought it would be because even though I go for the psychological thriller, there's at least a couple really violent scenes in most of them.

The Others might be a good option because the entire film is a family being haunted with creepy things happening but they never show you anything.

What Lies Beneath is similar and is also PG-13. There is a short violent scene at the end with someone being choked, and you see a corpse, but it's pretty bloodless and doesn't linger.

Is The Sixth Sense too obvious? That and The Village might also work, especially with someone who hasn't tired of the Shyamalan style yet.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 18, 2012

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

kuddles posted:

This is actually harder than I thought it would be because even though I go for the psychological thriller, there's at least a couple really violent scenes in most of them.

The Others might be a good option because the entire film is a family being haunted with creepy things happening but they never show you anything.

What Lies Beneath is similar and is also PG-13. There is a short violent scene at the end with someone being choked, and you see a corpse, but it's pretty bloodless and doesn't linger.

Is The Sixth Sense too obvious? That and The Village might also work, especially with someone who hasn't tired of the Shyamalan style yet.

Yeah I found it really difficult to find anything similar for the very reason you mentioned.

Having seen your post I've now realised that I was looking for films that I found at least a little scary, and although none of the above scared me even the smallest amount, they might actually be perfect for her - all three are excellent recommendations, so thanks very much for that. Amazon beckons!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
While we are on the topic, I watched The House Of The Devil last weekend and it kind of unnerved me for most of the way through.

I find the psychological thrillers really manage to get me, especially with supernatural aspects, which is odd since I don't really believe in the supernatural at all. Other recent films that worked on me include: The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, The Orphanage and Session 9.

I've pretty much dismissed the entire horror genre in the past because the only ones I've been exposed to are either the entirely schlocky stuff of the 80s or the torture porn nonsense that has recently happened. Considering House of The Devil got to me and it's clearly inspired by nostalgia, I was wondering if people could make recommendations that I missed.

Anything is open because as I stated, other than the recent "found footage" stuff, I probably haven't seen it.

Also, I'm going for scary/spooky here. Don't recommend something like Michael Haneke because that's just plain disturbing.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 18, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I recently took my twelve year old daughter to see Woman in Black, starring Harry Potter. This is the first ghost story film she's seen and she loved the fright it gave her - enough to want to cuddle her dad but not enough to give her nightmares.

Anyone know of any similar films? Ghost stories that don't really contain any violence (I showed her The Awakening and there's a very short violent scene in that involving a man and woman and she hated that), but that are creepy rather than outright disturbing or terrifying. Any help would be appreciated, she's coming to stay soon and I would like to get some DVDs for her to watch in the dark. I keep thinking I will try Poltergeist (I loved that when I was her age) but that might be a step too far too soon.

The 1963 version of The Haunting is probably your best bet. Classy, spooky, and basically bloodless. Carnival of Souls is a good one too, it's very eerie. There's also the original version of The Woman in Black, which is quite good. She might also like the Val Lewton horror films - I really did at her age - I Walked With a Zombie, Cat People, The Leopard Man, etc.

Lots of stuff from the '30s-'60s played very heavily on atmosphere and were really light on the violence. More recently, there's Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, which is pretty much the only thing I can think of.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

penismightier posted:

The 1963 version of The Haunting is probably your best bet. Classy, spooky, and basically bloodless. Carnival of Souls is a good one too, it's very eerie. There's also the original version of The Woman in Black, which is quite good. She might also like the Val Lewton horror films - I really did at her age - I Walked With a Zombie, Cat People, The Leopard Man, etc.

Lots of stuff from the '30s-'60s played very heavily on atmosphere and were really light on the violence. More recently, there's Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, which is pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Great stuff, I'm going to look at each of these, and although I have a feeling anything too old will be dismissed instantly, I also have a feeling all of these will be right up my street at least.

We actually watched Del Toro's Don't be Afraid of the Dark recently, and she quite liked it, complaining only that it wasn't creepy enough. My wife was terrified! I think Devil's Backbone may well be one she will enjoy, having read the IMDB entry. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

edit ⇓⇓ will do, thanks :) ⇓⇓

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Great stuff, I'm going to look at each of these, and although I have a feeling anything too old will be dismissed instantly, I also have a feeling all of these will be right up my street at least.

We actually watched Del Toro's Don't be Afraid of the Dark recently, and she quite liked it, complaining only that it wasn't creepy enough. My wife was terrified! I think Devil's Backbone may well be one she will enjoy, having read the IMDB entry. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Also check out The Changeling with George C. Scott.

• Locked thread