Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was having a lovely day and took it out on nipples. As I said, I'm sorry. :(

KARMA! posted:

Don't you mean that the faster riders go in the back? Harmonica effect and all.

No, everyone should ride their own pace and group rides up twisty roads should reconvene at the next turn or stop. That way everyone can ride their pace with no pressure from other riders around them. The only concern is people trying to keep up with the rider in front of them but hopefully the speed differential isn't too extreme and they keep themselves in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I always ride sweeper if I'm with other people, especially on a road I don't know. I don't want to be passed and it's not a big deal to slow down and take it easy. If you're riding with other people it should be agree'd that you'll stop at a predetermined spot and regroup. That being said, I hate riding with other people.

Anytime I go down on the street I consider it to be a big deal. In the dirt it's not a biggy to have a small get off. If I want to ride fast on pavement I take it to a track, public roads are to dangerous. My rule of thumb is to ride at no more than 70% of what I feel comfortable with.

I haven't watched your video and I'm not critiquing you Nipples, just stating how I ride in a group and my outlook on riding hard on public roads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like sweep, too. I read the brake lights and maintain a pretty even pace. Dropping back and relaxing for the straights and closing the gap a bit more aggressive in the turns is how I do it.

I don't really buy that road condition should be the reason for a crash, let alone three in one ride - seems like the first crash on a group ride would be enough to call it a day or at least cut the pace? Tar snakes suck and everything but you can see those coming and should be riding appropriately for the conditions.

Watching the Nipples' video and comparing the map, it doesn't looks particularly technical; no decreasing radius turns jump out at me, and one solid hairpin. Looks like some fun sweepy turns. Regardless, I have to nitpick the tigtish staggered formation in the turns. A road like that is where you put a quarter mile buffer between riders so everybody has room to play within their own ability. Sprinting down the straights is a good way to blow corners, too.

This is a good read for anybody who rides in a group on the road: http://www.fjrowners.com/pace.html

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I like sweep, too. I read the brake lights and maintain a pretty even pace. Dropping back and relaxing for the straights and closing the gap a bit more aggressive in the turns is how I do it.

I don't really buy that road condition should be the reason for a crash, let alone three in one ride - seems like the first crash on a group ride would be enough to call it a day or at least cut the pace? Tar snakes suck and everything but you can see those coming and should be riding appropriately for the conditions.

Watching the Nipples' video and comparing the map, it doesn't looks particularly technical; no decreasing radius turns jump out at me, and one solid hairpin. Looks like some fun sweepy turns. Regardless, I have to nitpick the tigtish staggered formation in the turns. A road like that is where you put a quarter mile buffer between riders so everybody has room to play within their own ability. Sprinting down the straights is a good way to blow corners, too.

This is a good read for anybody who rides in a group on the road: http://www.fjrowners.com/pace.html

Road conditions weren't the cause of the crash, not by any means. You're right about that. Those three wrecks happened within the span of about 30 seconds of each other. It was chaos on the radios when people were shouting rider down at each other and having no clue what the hell was going on. There wasn't an option to cut the pace, it was just HOLY CRAP EVERYONE IS CRASHING all at once.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

sigtrap posted:

That's bullshit that they questioned all of you. Did they know he was a member of your group or were they just assuming that "all motorcyclists on a road are in the same GANG" or some poo poo?

The Cop has seen him riding with us earlier in the day.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

NipplesTheCat posted:

There might even be Harley riders on this here board.

Us Harley riders wouldn't pay no nevermind to no observat'ry, less'n they was a pig roast som'eres nearby. So I'm a guessin' in that respect, why, we'd a been a might safer in said sitiation....

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm curious about the dude's face. Was he wearing a half helmet or something? How'd he get so messed up?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gullous posted:

I'm curious about the dude's face. Was he wearing a half helmet or something? How'd he get so messed up?

Land on your face in anything less than a full face and that's what happens. I had my two front teeth dislodged and put through my lip, not to mention a poo poo ton of road rash, taking a fall at less than 10mph on a skateboard. gently caress being on a bike without that protection.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Gullous posted:

Which dude's face?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

NipplesTheCat posted:

The first rider suffered no direct injury other than trying to stop himself with his face. I was the first rider on scene for that wreck. The rider was unable to form words, had blood oozing from his nose and had completely lost his short-term memory. There are few things more unsettling than an adult trying to talk to you but sounding like a toddler.

Did his full face fail? Or was it a flip/half? Either way its pretty :wtc:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Considering there was no mention of jaw fractures, I'm guessing the victim simply did not have a properly fitting helmet. If you slam your forehead into the front of your helmet, you're going to get a concussion and a nosebleed. Well-fitting helmets will help dissipate the force into various pads around your head and face. Even then, who knows...

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Gullous posted:

He was wearing a full-face, probably was just poor fitting.

Interestingly, the other guy who wrecked was wearing a modular. The flip-up lock failed and he earned some nasty rash to the face. Further demonstrating that you can't trust anything bi.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Nothing bad's happened to me since the last time I posted in this thread, but I just wanted to mention, even thought it's not like my F4i (I just prefer sport bikes, aesthetically) GodDAMN that's a really sexy bike on a really pretty ride, HNasty. :911:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Well...Finally laid 'er down.

I was going headed towards a left 90 degree turn on a two lane one way street in town, and shifted into the left lane to pass a car. Engine braked, then entered the turn and got on the gas pretty good while I got a nice lean going. Next thing I know, the back tire is slipping out and I'm rolling, then getting to one knee and watching my bike slide towards a curb while hoping the car to my right doesn't hit it. She didn't, so I ran out, picked it up and tried to start it after looking it over. It didn't so I called a tow but after a few minutes it did start so I limped home.

I had all my gear on but was just wearing flannel lined pants, which held up as well as you could imagine. Got a nice quarter size rash on my knee, but no other injuries. I have been waiting on some riding pants to come in the mail :(

Total damage is the fairing is obviously thrashed, the clutch handle is pretty wobbly now, my shifter is bent (easy fix) and something is making a brushing or rubbing noise when the wheels are turning. Guess I'm gonna haft take it to somebody to make sure I didn't gently caress it up worse than I thought I did.

I drove back out to the spot to look at the ground and get an idea of why I crashed...my brother says he saw oil on the ground, and the pavement was suspiciously shiny, but i wonder whether my own turn was to blame. Is it possible to slip out that fast if you're leaning too much and giving too much throttle? Wouldn't I have felt it starting to go?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How old are your tires? Correct pressures? If everything is in order, you should be able to feel it give you some warning before it goes, but if your bike isn't properly maintained, there's a number of things that could have eaten up that warning buffer.

Glad you're ok.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

How old are your tires? Correct pressures? If everything is in order, you should be able to feel it give you some warning before it goes, but if your bike isn't properly maintained, there's a number of things that could have eaten up that warning buffer.

Glad you're ok.

They're the original 09 tires. about 5500 miles on them so they could definitely be replaced, but the tread doesn't look too bad. And I had them inflated to 32r 28f (what the manual suggests) a couple weeks ago.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

They're the original 09 tires. about 5500 miles on them so they could definitely be replaced, but the tread doesn't look too bad. And I had them inflated to 32r 28f (what the manual suggests) a couple weeks ago.

I check my tire pressure about once a week which still isn't enough.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
[z3n engage]
weeks is too long. you should be checking your tires hourly.

But seriously weeks is too long. I check mine every third time out or so. Lax when commuting and putting, doubly so when weather is changing or I'm going to ride hard.

Edit: and for people worrying about adding air, I use a bicycle pump. You don't have to go to the gas station, just buy a T pump and check your tires.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 10, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Could be them, stock tires tend to be wonderfully poo poo. I never really tried and lean much on my old Ninjas' OEM-level tires because they felt slippery to me. Are you planning to replace the fairings or leave em be or even go streetfighter? Sorry about the crash though.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Slow 90 degree turns will generally have more oil deposited from cars as they brake and fling loose leaking lubricants. If you give it too much throttle too fast with too much lean angle, it'll be out from under you in an instant.

I wouldn't stress tire pressures. You might get a marginal improvement from higher tire pressures in certain circumstances, but on the whole it makes gently caress-all difference if you're not doing something wrong to begin with. For perspective, I ride around on squared-off dual sport tires at anywhere between 15 and 30 PSI. I couldn't tell you where they're at now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits that don't approach the limits of my tires.

(And, in theory, somewhat lower PSI means more traction anyway, since you have a greater contact patch.)

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 10, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The other thing that you should be considering here is that you shouldn't be hammering the gas unless you are also removing lean angle. A small amount of throttle is fine to help get the weight off the front tire but adding a bunch of throttle while also leaning the bike means that when it goes it's going to go fast.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, I'm learning a lot from one accident. I'm gonna take the fairings off until I can get the most hosed up one replaced (150 on amazon irc) and I'm gonna take it over to a shop to get checked out and make sure everything's ok because I don't trust myself to know when something's wrong yet. While it's there I might order some new tires, as i understand it tires for a 250r aren't too expensive.

And lesson learned on proper throttle on a turn I think. Slow down on approach, ease on to the throttle and hold it steady going in and midpoint, throttle up to stand up right?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The throttle alone won't stand you up. You need to decrease the lean angle through handlebar input. Whacking the throttle open when leaned over early-apex requires much more finesse than coasting through your apex and getting drive through the exit of the turn when you can easily unwind yourself and straighten out as you gas it.

Edit: Not talking performance riding here or anything, just generic bike handling.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

nsaP posted:

But seriously weeks is too long. I check mine every third time out or so. Lax when commuting and putting, doubly so when weather is changing or I'm going to ride hard.

Really? Mine get checked about once a month or before any long trip. I've never seen them lose more than 2-3 psi max and that's when I've left it a bit too. I've no delusions that i ride anywhere near their performance though so this probably makes a lot of difference.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I probably check mine every 3 weeks to a month, or if the bike feels off. If they're low they have only ever felt a little sluggish, never dangerous. While I ride typically below 50mph I do ride hard and gently caress about with stoppies and ride roads like this as fast as I can (which is much slower than that, I have to do it when there is oncoming traffic).

What are the risks with an under-pressure tyre, over heating?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReelBigLizard posted:

I probably check mine every 3 weeks to a month, or if the bike feels off. If they're low they have only ever felt a little sluggish, never dangerous. While I ride typically below 50mph I do ride hard and gently caress about with stoppies and ride roads like this as fast as I can (which is much slower than that, I have to do it when there is oncoming traffic).

I ran a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT up front of a F4i at like 17-20psi for over a month of canyons without knowing it ( :downs: ). I was able to ball the rubber up easily, turn in was slow, they wore extremely fast, and they cupped heavily.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

When I picked up a staple in the rear last summer causing a nice slow leak the rear end felt squirmy and unstable. Going around corners it would feel like it was sliding or on gravel. Pretty unsettling feeling.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Aargh posted:

Really? Mine get checked about once a month or before any long trip. I've never seen them lose more than 2-3 psi max and that's when I've left it a bit too. I've no delusions that i ride anywhere near their performance though so this probably makes a lot of difference.

I check mine once a week or so which is lax but I also give them a kick and squeeze before every ride; often enough to know by feel when they're down.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Aargh posted:

Really. I only have two pieces of rubber keeping me in contact with the pavement so the extra 1 minute it takes to make sure they're at the right spec is no skin off my nose. I check out other parts of the bike as well, it seriously takes a few minutes and if I spot something (which I have, backed out bolts, loose water hoses, messed up turn signal to name a few) then that isn't an issue I have to deal with on the road. Have the MSFers already forgotten? http://micapeak.com/info/T-CLOCK.html

I don't really understand attitudes like:

MotoMind posted:

I wouldn't stress tire pressures. You might get a marginal improvement from higher tire pressures in certain circumstances, but on the whole it makes gently caress-all difference if you're not doing something wrong to begin with. For perspective, I ride around on squared-off dual sport tires at anywhere between 15 and 30 PSI. I couldn't tell you where they're at now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits that don't approach the limits of my tires.

(And, in theory, somewhat lower PSI means more traction anyway, since you have a greater contact patch.)

Riding in your personal limits is well and good but the thought of emergency braking on a tire that's half it's recommended pressure is terrifying to me. I ride within my personal limits as well, and I do it on properly functioning machinery. Your attitude, to me, is equivalent to "well my brakes are old as hell, the fluid is off and the lines are shot. They've been working less than 50%. I couldn't tell you how strong they are now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits and don't approach the limits of my brakes.

CA crash thread: Don't stress about tire pressures, on the whole it makes gently caress-rear end difference.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 11, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also isn't there a danger of tubed tires sliding and slicing off valve stems during heavy breaking at lower tire pressures?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who still runs tubed tires? :v: I don't even have those on my mountain bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do on my '76 Yamaha.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I do on my '01 KLR 650.

(the design is literally as old as I am, however)

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Riding in your personal limits is well and good but the thought of emergency braking on a tire that's half it's recommended pressure is terrifying to me. I ride within my personal limits as well, and I do it on properly functioning machinery. Your attitude, to me, is equivalent to "well my brakes are old as hell, the fluid is off and the lines are shot. They've been working less than 50%. I couldn't tell you how strong they are now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits and don't approach the limits of my brakes.

CA crash thread: Don't stress about tire pressures, on the whole it makes gently caress-rear end difference.

No, it's more that tires work just fine at a wide range of pressures. I'm simply offering some perspective. People get way too wound up at a few PSI of tire pressure and blame their crashes on it, when it's really an issue of rider error.

I do not think a sportbike tire would produce a pleasant riding experience at 15psi, and I'm not recommending it.

Check your tires regularly, but don't worry about variations of a few PSI is what I'd like to conclude with.

Edit: This is a terrible post, and so was my last post. Sorry. Everyone, keep your machines in the best possible condition and do regular pre-ride inspections. Get casual about your tires at your own risk.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 11, 2012

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

Vintage bikes. Dirt bikes. A lot of motards.

As far as tires, the situation on my bike is kind of funny. It was obviously only used to go straight, and it can get a bit greasy feeling sometimes when going dead straight. But lean it over and magically it has tons of grip and feels great. God I need new tires.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

iwentdoodie posted:

Vintage bikes. Dirt bikes. A lot of motards.

As far as tires, the situation on my bike is kind of funny. It was obviously only used to go straight, and it can get a bit greasy feeling sometimes when going dead straight. But lean it over and magically it has tons of grip and feels great. God I need new tires.

Did you buy it from pro-rider mootmoot? He goes straight the best.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you buy it from pro-rider mootmoot? He goes straight the best.

Well, it is missing a mirror and has some rash on the right side pipe...

Dammit, did he gently caress up an RD as well?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The tires on my track bike are at the end of their useful life and are the exact opposite. They hate being straight up and down and as soon as you give them a little lean want to fall straight to max lean angles because they're triangled off aggressively. Perfect for a 2nd life on a squid bike!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

Anything with normal spokes. I think only BMW has run a spoked rim without tubes because the spokes attached to the outside edge of the rim, outside of where the tire bead sits. Any other spoked rim has to have a tube unless the owner has done some kind of a custom sealing job on the spokes (which I've seen a couple times on the internet but wouldn't trust to hold air long term) to make every spoke hole in the rim airtight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

:haw:

• Locked thread