Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, looking through the Kicking It Forward list has certainly entertained me for a few minutes:

"He learn new stuffs super lightning fast, He is at least 10 times faster than most programmers/developers." http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willieshi/island-visitors :stare:

Someone who sounds like he is doing a bad Christopher Walken impression, complete with "oh hi!" intro and Monty Python references: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewjhanson/advanced-encounters-alternate-objectives (at least his budget was reasonable and he already succeeded!)

The guy from the "hello, my name Peggy" commercials narrates something that makes no sense over awful drawings yet the whole thing is actually somewhat funny even though I have no idea what is going on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scarlettfamilygames/thats-why-youre-not-ugly-the-game

Oh no :smith: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticgamingstudios/chaotic-ways-are-you-chaotic-or-seren

If I did not already know this guy was actually pretty talented I would certainly not make it past the video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1359565526/low-life-the-whole-hole-a-gadabouts-guide-to-mutha

And I guess for those of you who liked Grim Fandango, there is http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kaylarchstudios/i-remember-you-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just noticed that the kickstarter for The Banner Saga has added another $50 tier for *just* the poster and nothing else. The poster one mentions, "For this special reward, get just the poster (unsigned) and the special edition of the game, no frills."

Does this mean that the tier with the crest reward doesn't get the special edition or...? I'm just a little confused now. I know one of the devs posted in this thread about giving the people who had paid $50 all the parts of the game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Quarex posted:

"He learn new stuffs super lightning fast, He is at least 10 times faster than most programmers/developers." http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willieshi/island-visitors :stare:

quote:

I believe you are familiar with the girl in the picture. YES, She will be the super hero in our game. Your mission is to control her to kill all the mad crazy animals on the beautiful island.

Over the next 8 month period, a small team under willie shi's supervision will develop this game - Island Visitors, a third person shooter game for pc, mac, iPhone/iPad and maybe for a console as well if the funding reach $1.5 or above.
Where it goes from here will unfold in real time for all the backers to see. We even invite some of you come and join our design team to finish this project if you ever have such a desire and talent.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The weirdest part is that island engine shown in the video is more fully realized than most kickstarter projects.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Plus that old man is kind of adorable.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

I feel pretty privileged that the single game I would have unquestionably been most excited to see brought back is Wasteland, so, you know, I reached peak excitement right out of the gate. But there are so many amazing games from the 1980s and 1990s that stand out and whose designers would probably jump at the chance to bring them back if they could. Or at least I hope this is the case.

I believe the Volition guys have, in the past, mentioned they'd like to finish the Freespace trilogy someday. I'd kickstart that.

I kind of wish this had been a viable option ten years ago when Looking Glass was getting the screws put to them, though. Out of all the 90s developers I liked who didn't survive - Origin Systems, Dynamix, Cavedog - Looking Glass was, by far, my favorite. Their whole operating philosophy seemed to be "it's tuesday, let's invent a new genre".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

the black husserl posted:

The weirdest part is that island engine shown in the video is more fully realized than most kickstarter projects.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Plus that old man is kind of adorable.
Yeah, that was really what I had the hardest time with--this trainwreck presentation and he seems to actually have something fairly compelling-looking to start with. Even if "you know her, and she will be the super hero in our game."

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Confusion sets in about the Republique game... How are they going to deliver the game? It's IOS, and as far as I've seen, the other IOS Kickstarter games have not offered the game as a reward, because there was not way to deliver it.

I mean, I guess they could offer a free demo version, that is actually the full version if you validate it with their website, or something crazy like that...

Video is cool though.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

yegods posted:

Confusion sets in about the Republique game... How are they going to deliver the game? It's IOS, and as far as I've seen, the other IOS Kickstarter games have not offered the game as a reward, because there was not way to deliver it.

I mean, I guess they could offer a free demo version, that is actually the full version if you validate it with their website, or something crazy like that...

Video is cool though.

You enter an app store voucher. That's about the whole of it. Most iOS Kickstarters don't offer it as a reward because it'll severely impact their sales numbers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Make the "you get the game" reward tier $10, sell the game for $2, problem solved.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

I just noticed that the kickstarter for The Banner Saga has added another $50 tier for *just* the poster and nothing else. The poster one mentions, "For this special reward, get just the poster (unsigned) and the special edition of the game, no frills."

Does this mean that the tier with the crest reward doesn't get the special edition or...? I'm just a little confused now. I know one of the devs posted in this thread about giving the people who had paid $50 all the parts of the game.

In a recent email they mentioned a reward tier for international customers who wanted to donate more :10bux: but were worried about shipping costs. Any chance this might be that?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

The other $50 tier (the crest one) still has the special edition. The poster $50 tier exists for those who want the poster but didn't "want to pay $80" want the poster (but it's not signed, and they don't get the in-game banner).

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

The other $50 tier (the crest one) still has the special edition. The poster $50 tier exists for those who want the poster but didn't "want to pay $80" want the poster (but it's not signed, and they don't get the in-game banner).

Ah, ok, thanks for that clarification.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Quarex posted:

In the Wasteland 2 thread, people have occasionally talked about some of the other old franchises/genres they would pay infinite dollars to see brought back in the modern era--I bet you are underestimating, if anything.

Yeah, I did a count once of the amount of titles that could be considered "classics" or AA-AAA level games for the PC in 1994 alone and came to ~20, many of which are in now dead genres. Every AAA level, big budget game for the PC now is either an FPS or third person shooter, an action RPG or open world RPG, or an RTS. There's a few hybrids and the occasional exception, but we've basically gone down to three genres, broadly defined as Shooters, RPGs, and RTS.

If the major publishers continue to refuse to develop or publish "niche" games or anything less than a huge big budget title in the genres they're comfortable with, a lot of people stand to make a drat good living off Kickstarter and similar "Alpha funding" methods of game development. And occasionally, someone is going to have a truly massive hit in something like Minecraft. The next Minecraft is out there, waiting to be a breakout hit, but the major studios / publishers sure as hell won't develop it with their current methodologies. I'm guessing we will see a micro budget break out hit about once every two years, judging from the way low budget indie darlings end up making $100+ million in the movie theaters about that often. And hell, every year there's Oscar films with midsized budgets of less than $50 million making $150+ million and ending up in the top 10 or 20.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Since game genres have become so watered down, and with the glut of uninspired games that keep getting released, I've always wondered if the market will become over-saturated and fatigued enough to cause another video game crash. Of course it would take years and years of constant bludgeoning of the market with Call of Duty 24: Brown Killer, but I've always wondered if it couldn't happen again far into the future.

I suppose the indie scene and the kickstarter success are variables which stave off such a catastrophe, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, that was really what I had the hardest time with--this trainwreck presentation and he seems to actually have something fairly compelling-looking to start with. Even if "you know her, and she will be the super hero in our game."

If that kickstarter had a professional video, nice graphical headers and the idea more fleshed out and synthesised - this would be a new superstar kickstarter game. Just shows how much the presentation matters. It's the most advanced kickstarter game I've ever seen. Goddamn that video picture alone would make people close the window and with such an impressive graphical engine why put a PS1 looking screenshot as the very first thing you see?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
How much of the stuff from that Island Visitors video would have been original work by Willie Shi?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

How much of the stuff from that Island Visitors video would have been original work by Willie Shi?

My gut tells me little to none. It all looks like stock assets you'd buy off of turbosquid or something.I could be wrong, though!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shalinor posted:

This is us: http://gravitazgame.com

There's a thread for it now

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

mutata posted:

My gut tells me little to none. It all looks like stock assets you'd buy off of turbosquid or something.I could be wrong, though!

You just introduced me to the concept of paying 60$ for digital objects, Baudrilliard would be proud.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
What do the mods think of a kickstarter thread tag for Games? It seems like this trend is going to keep growing and it'd be nice to have a tag for kickstarter projects rather than people sticking it in the thread title.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Since game genres have become so watered down, and with the glut of uninspired games that keep getting released, I've always wondered if the market will become over-saturated and fatigued enough to cause another video game crash. Of course it would take years and years of constant bludgeoning of the market with Call of Duty 24: Brown Killer, but I've always wondered if it couldn't happen again far into the future.

If you'll notice, the Kickstarter and indie projects are basically totally ignoring the consoles. Everyone would rather be on the PC with Steam, or iOS / Android. XBLA and PSN are apparently just too hard, too expensive, and too small of a market to focus on. That doesn't bode well for the consoles. And I think the performance of the Wii over the last two years or so probably WAS that videogame crash, or at least a harbinger of one.

Hopefully, the next generation of consoles backs off on the amount of control they expect to exert, if only a little. There's no reason Shadowrun Returns couldn't be a multiplatform title, for instance. After all, the fond memories of the original are all from the SNES and Genesis.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
^^^ Sure, the Wii was a video game crash and consoles will be the next to go. Indie PC games will the be only survivors.

I suppose the indie scene and the kickstarter success are variables which stave off such a catastrophe, though.

I think video games have reached a saturation point where a another crash would be extremely unlikely. I mean, if Transformers V isn't going to kill movies, neither will Call of Duty XI.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

El_Matarife posted:

If you'll notice, the Kickstarter and indie projects are basically totally ignoring the consoles. Everyone would rather be on the PC with Steam, or iOS / Android. XBLA and PSN are apparently just too hard, too expensive, and too small of a market to focus on. That doesn't bode well for the consoles. And I think the performance of the Wii over the last two years or so probably WAS that videogame crash, or at least a harbinger of one.

Hopefully, the next generation of consoles backs off on the amount of control they expect to exert, if only a little. There's no reason Shadowrun Returns couldn't be a multiplatform title, for instance. After all, the fond memories of the original are all from the SNES and Genesis.

You are dramatically overestimating the cashflow of indie titles and what goes in to making a console title.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

emoticon posted:

^^^ Sure, the Wii was a video game crash and consoles will be the next to go. Indie PC games will the be only survivors.

That's overstating what I said quite a bit. Consoles aren't going anywhere, but it's possible that the next gen isn't going to sell nearly as well as the current generation of consoles as people switch to tablets or phone gaming. The biggest mainstream hit of the last few years is Angry Birds and you can't play that on an Xbox or Wii.

And it's also possible the big modern day shooters are nearing the end of their ropes. After all, in 2005 everything was WW2 games. Wiis were out of stock for like 18 months after release in 06. In 08, everything was rhythm games. Last year, everyone put out crazy Kinect games. Now these things are all gathering dust on shelves all across America. Everything that's overdone falls back to earth at some point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

More than likely the industry will find some balance and there will be more indie and less AAA, and the social gaming bubble will fizzle a bit and the lines will start to blur with smaller-scale studios making neat stuff and larger mega studios doing big blockbuster junk.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

mutata posted:

More than likely the industry will find some balance and there will be more indie and less AAA, and the social gaming bubble will fizzle a bit and the lines will start to blur with smaller-scale studios making neat stuff and larger mega studios doing big blockbuster junk.

That's basically what I'm expecting too, but I'm expecting a sales decline of 5-10% in a year before they figure it out. And I'm guessing some heads will roll in the upper echelons of a few publishers too, when they don't meet their numbers. I just don't know that we're going to see any Kickstarted games on XBLA / PSN until they loosen up the restrictions a LOT, and stop nickel and diming small companies for pushing patches or more free content to existing games.

Dildo Malone
Sep 14, 2008

With all the success Kickstarter has been having lately maybe we can finally get The Zybourne Clock made.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dildo Malone posted:

With all the success Kickstarter has been having lately maybe we can finally get The Zybourne Clock made.

Ahead of you.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1400386283/clockwork-and-crossbones

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There is no way video games will crash, what probably will crash are series. Guitar Hero and other rhythm games already died due to oversaturation and I can see something similar happen with the Call of Duty series and its many clones.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Did you know that Your World has a website? Because I didn't!

http://www.yourworldinc.com/

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Jesus Christ... the picture at the top of the page... I'm so loving totally in for like $500 now (no I'm not).

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I can't wait to make my first fish-based Gardnerian!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I just want to see if he blows all his lottery winnings chasing this dream down by himself. I have to know what happens.

It's like if you gave hundreds of gold bars to a 5 year old and he had no idea what to do with them or how to turn them into money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I really wish I could say that this guy is an elaborate troll. That "concept art"... :stare:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really wish I could say that this guy is an elaborate troll. That "concept art"... :stare:

I don't know, that troll is pretty loving elaborate.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Your World Inc posted:

Check this out. Your avatar could look like this!

This is art.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
He even looks like he's crying out for help. That lizard man knows how lovely he is, and he will never know the release of death.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
That picture is a crime against digital art. It deserves some kind of Photoshop Friday treatment.

I know what I'm going to gently caress around with in Photoshop tomorrow at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

El_Matarife posted:

Yeah, I did a count once of the amount of titles that could be considered "classics" or AA-AAA level games for the PC in 1994 alone and came to ~20, many of which are in now dead genres. Every AAA level, big budget game for the PC now is either an FPS or third person shooter, an action RPG or open world RPG, or an RTS. There's a few hybrids and the occasional exception, but we've basically gone down to three genres, broadly defined as Shooters, RPGs, and RTS.
I kind of think it would be an awesome project to go through lists of significant game releases from every year of "modern" computer gaming and note games with cult followings that deserve to be re-examined. I imagine the earliest games that might be able to get something via Kickstarter would be text adventures done by original people from Infocom ... unless my friend is right when he claims every person who ever owned a TI 99/4A would kill for a new Tunnels of Doom.

Do you have your 1994 list? Because now I think this will be my new "side mission" once the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter ends. Except hmm I am supposed to do a Wasteland Let's Play, aw dammit, whatever.