Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rastor posted:

I don't understand the people who think there's zero market for a 13" tablet.

It's not really that there isn't a market, there are always people willing to buy something. But at that size/weight, you're losing lots of the benefits of tablets-- it's no longer easily hand holdable for extended periods of time, it gains lots of weight, not to mention that it will likely either have:

1) Poor battery life, as they try to shave weight off somewhere
2) Decent battery life, but weight a gently caress ton
3) Take forever to charge because they actually took advantage of the space and put a proper battery in it.

There are going to be tons of complaints either way, but if it's a decent product, it'll find a niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TildeATH posted:

I'm not suggesting digital signs or simple kiosks, but rather multi-use resources in lab, library and information environments. High-end retail establishments do similar things, if the adoption of tethered iPads by high-end department stores and Yoghurt shops here in Silicon Valley is any indication.

Read the post I'm replying to originally.

"Yeah there is a huge, still pretty untapped market for an all-in one unit for Kisoks, Digital Signs and Point of Sale systems.

The software needs to catch up a little more, but its getting there. Current options are usually windows xp based, seriously overpriced and bulky. "

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Shmoogy posted:

1) Poor battery life, as they try to shave weight off somewhere
2) Decent battery life, but weight a gently caress ton
3) Take forever to charge because they actually took advantage of the space and put a proper battery in it.

1&2) Lithium-polymer batteries can be molded into almost any shape. They are far lighter than lead-acid or NiMH or whatever metric you're using for that statement, especially on a W/H per mass ratio. A large device can accommodate a large battery. Batteries
Manufacturers can and do make chargers with more current and/or voltage than what you can get out of a USB port.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Chrome just updated to beta 19 on the desktop which has 2 way sync between devices. 2 way sync between the tablet and the pc without needing 3rd party apps or extensions is pretty nice.

Open a new tab in either device and click "Other devices" and you'll get a clickable list of open tabs on said device.

Just need desktop useragent support, plugin/extension support, and gesture support and I can switch from Browser + permanently.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Companies are already switching to iPads as a very cheap POS alternative. I'm sure Android will too with their tablets.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
You can also use chrome://sessions/ to see all the tabs you have open across different clients. It's been there for a while now (its even in the current Stable release).

quote:

Just need desktop useragent support, plugin/extension support, and gesture support and I can switch from Browser + permanently.

Seems like things are going in that direction officially:

quote:

When I ask Pichai if Chrome coming to Android changes the Chrome OS strategy, he says it “takes nothing away” from their work on that OS. And he says that there will be more to share on Chrome OS later this year.

As for the whole web vs. native app debate, Pichai notes that Chrome for Android links to the Android Market whenever possible — meaning there isn’t a dedicated web app area like there is on the PC version of Chrome. Also not coming along for the ride yet: extensions (but they’re thinking about how best to do them on mobile).

One other bit of intrigue: Chrome for Android will be a part of the Google Apps package. This means that once Chrome fully replaces Browser on Android, there will no longer be a browser that’s a part of the open source Android.

http://parislemon.com/post/17215781807/chrome-for-android-the-browser-for-the-1

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Rastor posted:

I don't understand the people who think there's zero market for a 13" tablet.

Haven't you ever seen someone using a ridiculous laptop with a 20" screen? Sure it's not mainstream but there are people out there who gladly pay money for such things.

It's such a small market though. It still takes effort to develop something that hardly anyone will buy, and more effort to support it down the line. I'm sure Samsung will try too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

We're in this interesting period right now where the non-Apple manufacturers are trying to figure out how to differentiate themselves. There are attempts to differentiate themselves on both software (manufacturer skins) and on hardware (stylus, non-10" form factors). It's good because it means some needs / niches will be met which otherwise wouldn't be, but it's also bad because too many choices causes customer confusion and it sucks to be an adopter of a variation which fails to sell big and gets abandoned.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So Amazon shipped my prime today, I'm excited to find out which manufacturer defects I get, I want to get a case for it though, so I can keep it in my bookbag and not be as worried about it. Any concensus on what case is best? I'd prefer something that covers both front and back when its not in use. The two main ones on amazon both seem to have some issues.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

So Amazon shipped my prime today, I'm excited to find out which manufacturer defects I get, I want to get a case for it though, so I can keep it in my bookbag and not be as worried about it. Any concensus on what case is best? I'd prefer something that covers both front and back when its not in use. The two main ones on amazon both seem to have some issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VX96GO/

That's the one I have and am very happy with it. If they had added a tiny bit more slack in it, it could actually be used with the keyboard dock as well.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pseudanonymous posted:

10.2" sleeve by swissgear/wenger

I don't have the carrying handle on mine, but you can find it in target/walmart/kmart for 20-25 bucks easily. Fits the prime perfectly with keyboard dock + pouch for random crap like cables or earbuds, etc. I didn't see much point in normal style case if it's docked most of the time so I went with a sleeve ala a laptop/netbook. The hardest part was finding one that won't be all floppy and useless with off dimensions.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'd love a 13" tablet. I use mine for playing random games, browsing on the Awful app, reading, and propped up streaming Netflix.

I simply don't use my tablet for hours on end and I decide to do something else long before any type of fatigue sets in.

If I could get a 13" tablet version of the Note, I'd buy the poo poo out of it right this instant.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
My brain has a hard time crunching the Toshiba Excite 13. I want to give Toshiba kudos for being brave, but a 13.3 inch tablet sounds like something that should have been left in the R&D department.

Toshiba wants to tote it as a home tablet:

quote:

“The Excite 13 is what we see as a home tablet,” Jared Leavitt, a Toshiba spokesman, told Wired. “The larger size makes it an ideal kitchen tablet. You can watch how-to videos while you’re cooking, or look up recipes. And then later, you can bring it into the living room to watch videos with the kids, or to look at family photos with friends.”
But Toshiba's notion of a "home tablet" sounds like a faux niche; what would it offer over a 7 or 10-inch tablet at the house? Even the lower rung of tablets do all right at basic reading, web browsing, and video playback. The 13.3 inch size seems like it would only be prohibitively less mobile by comparison.

The 1600x900 resolution is noteworthy, but it certainly isn't a trailblazing feature. The new iPad boasts a 2048x1536 display with nearly twice the pixel density (264 ppi vs. 138 ppi)--at a $650/750 price point, it's tough to choose the Excite 13 in that regard. Not to mention the Excite 13 is coming out around the same time as the fabled $149/249 Google Nexus tablet.

Perhaps we'll see, though? There were similar notions for the Samsung Galaxy Note, and it has enjoyed five million sales so far. But that's also comparing apples to oranges. Big, gently caress-off oranges.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's more pointless attempts at differentiation in a sea of Android tablets. I get why they do it, but you'd think somebody at these major companies would realize the futility of gimmicks to move units.

I guess Asus sort of did with the Transformer (although even the keyboard dock is a gimmick albeit one that you buy seperately), but fell down on build quality with the Prime.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Transformer 1/android in general anecdote for anyone that cares:

So I finally got fed up with my Transformer random rebooting as a daily occurance and the Netflix app being completely unusable after several resets/wipes/reinstalls etc. So I decided to look in to CM9 and any other ROMs that would work properly.

From what I understand, you can either install a ROM from bootloader via .zip OR flash it from your computer (NVFlash?). In order to do it from the bootloader, you have to be rooted and install a couple apps to accomplish what you want, NVFlash does not require root.

I looked into Cyanogenmod 9 since that seems to be the most popular and a friend suggested it. After a couple hours of downloading this and that and getting everything set up, I installed Cyanogenmod only to find that it would boot eternally and never load. Once you bork your OS you are forced to flash from a computer since your tablet is hosed. At this point I discovered there are zero flashable stock ICS installs, so I was forced to install an old honeycomb version and OTA to ICS before attempting a different CM9 build because pretty much any of the tools needed to do what I was trying were no longer available/working for honeycomb. So I repeated this process for 3 CM9 builds which would all permanently bootloop after following install instructions to T at which point I started looking at CM9 based ROMs. The first one I tried installed worked, but it was immediately apparent that the internet was not working properly. Lo and behold right in the known bugs on the ROMs OP was 'wifi issues'.

So basically at this point the official, un-rooted version of the OS doesn't work in an acceptible fashion, and the ROMs that I can find that could potentially work either bootloop when installed properly or have glaring issues that make them completely worthless to anyone that desires an internet connection on their tablet (crazy, right?) I love android, but I've pretty much had it with the hardware at this point. I'll be buying an iPhone when my android phone contract is up in 2 months (even if it means waiting for the 5) and I won't be buying another Android tablet again despite having already invested into the android app side of the hemisphere.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Secret Sweater posted:

Transformer 1/android in general anecdote for anyone that cares:

So I finally got fed up with my Transformer random rebooting as a daily occurance and the Netflix app being completely unusable after several resets/wipes/reinstalls etc. So I decided to look in to CM9 and any other ROMs that would work properly.

From what I understand, you can either install a ROM from bootloader via .zip OR flash it from your computer (NVFlash?). In order to do it from the bootloader, you have to be rooted and install a couple apps to accomplish what you want, NVFlash does not require root.

I looked into Cyanogenmod 9 since that seems to be the most popular and a friend suggested it. After a couple hours of downloading this and that and getting everything set up, I installed Cyanogenmod only to find that it would boot eternally and never load. Once you bork your OS you are forced to flash from a computer since your tablet is hosed. At this point I discovered there are zero flashable stock ICS installs, so I was forced to install an old honeycomb version and OTA to ICS before attempting a different CM9 build because pretty much any of the tools needed to do what I was trying were no longer available/working for honeycomb. So I repeated this process for 3 CM9 builds which would all permanently bootloop after following install instructions to T at which point I started looking at CM9 based ROMs. The first one I tried installed worked, but it was immediately apparent that the internet was not working properly. Lo and behold right in the known bugs on the ROMs OP was 'wifi issues'.

So basically at this point the official, un-rooted version of the OS doesn't work in an acceptible fashion, and the ROMs that I can find that could potentially work either bootloop when installed properly or have glaring issues that make them completely worthless to anyone that desires an internet connection on their tablet (crazy, right?) I love android, but I've pretty much had it with the hardware at this point. I'll be buying an iPhone when my android phone contract is up in 2 months (even if it means waiting for the 5) and I won't be buying another Android tablet again despite having already invested into the android app side of the hemisphere.

I hear ya dude, this is why I ditched my Transformer. I'm still content with Android phones (but try to stick with stock nexus phones), but for now I'm staying with my iPad 2. I'm waiting to see what Windows 8 brings, maybe Microsoft can do what Android hasn't been able to. Maybe.

Crackbone posted:

I guess Asus sort of did with the Transformer (although even the keyboard dock is a gimmick albeit one that you buy seperately), but fell down on build quality with the Prime.

That all being said, if there is one thing I feel Asus got right, it was the keyboard dock. Worked great for me, easy to dock and undock, boosted the battery by almost double, and had a great keypad. The trackpad was unnecessary but worked surprisingly well regardless, all things considering. So yeah, I'm all for that setup, just not all for the bugs.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So I'm looking for a small, light Android tablet. I did read the OP but the tablets listed are still a little big.

I'm not very picky as long as it's small (maybe the size of a Nook or Kindle?) and light, and has a decent camera. Doesn't have to be a super HD camera, just something better than VGA for quick snapshots. Does such a tablet even exist?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Why do you want to take pictures with a tablet?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why do you want to take pictures with a tablet?
Because I don't have enough money to buy both a tablet and a camera, and I need something to browse the internet with when I'm not at home.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Do you have a cell phone?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
May I make a suggestion for the TFP's bullet points? Add a caveat to the GPS feature that if you buy a TFP you can get a free dongle from ASUS on the 16th that'll plug into charge/data port. This means though you can't use the dock or charge it at the same time.

quote:

On Apr 11, 2012 1:42 PM, <***********@asus.com> wrote:

ASUS has been trying to reach you by telephone regarding the GPS extension kit. We wanted to inform you that the GPS extension kit will be available on April 16th. Your registration was done while the site was under preparation, but ASUS values our customers’ time and will honor the registration that was completed prior to the announcement date. Please keep in mind that it will take about 3 weeks to receive the GPS extension kit from the date of registration. In your case, April 16th will be your official date of registration.

Thank you for being a valuable customer.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Biodome posted:

Do you have a cell phone?
Yes, a $15 prepaid phone from Walmart.

Look, I've been saving money for months to buy a tablet. I'm just looking for a recommendation. Can you guys help me out or not?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The problem is that there really isn't anything which is small, light, and has a decent camera. If there was we would have recommended it already.

Maybe if you break down which features are most important and which you're willing to compromise on? And also give an at least approximate budget?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

the kawaiiest posted:

So I'm looking for a small, light Android tablet. I did read the OP but the tablets listed are still a little big.

I'm not very picky as long as it's small (maybe the size of a Nook or Kindle?) and light, and has a decent camera. Doesn't have to be a super HD camera, just something better than VGA for quick snapshots. Does such a tablet even exist?

The Acer Iconia a100 is a 7 inch tablet that costs about $275 USD new, for 8 GB but this can be expanded with a microSD card, and supports up to 32 GB microSD cards (for a total of 40 GB). Dimensions are 195 x 117 x 13.1 mm, camera is 5MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels. Best part is, it's due for an update to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS 4.X) some time soon. Here's a Cnet video review if you're into that; linky. Draw back is the battery life; it drains quickly, allegedly. If it's anything like the a500, you can easily get through a day. Other draw back is that the a500 is only a few bucks more, but it's 10 inches, so I don't know if you'd be into that.

Hope this helps. Never owned one myself, but I do own the a500, and the specs seem to be fine.

E:VVVVVV
Isn't the iPad 3 also pretty big? It's thin, yeah, but it also has a 10 inch screen.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 11, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would assume that camera is the first priority. I believe right now the iPad 3 currently has the best camera of all the tablets available.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Rastor posted:

The problem is that there really isn't anything which is small, light, and has a decent camera. If there was we would have recommended it already.

Maybe if you break down which features are most important and which you're willing to compromise on? And also give an at least approximate budget?
I can spend $250.

I guess I can live without the camera, since we've been borrowing my MIL's for a while, so I can compromise on that. I do need it to be small and light, but not phone small. The Nook is almost exactly what I want, but I want a tablet, not an eReader. I know I can install Android on the Nook but I'm terrible with this stuff and don't want to risk breaking it.

People keep telling me to save more money and buy an iPad but I think iPads are huge and heavy. They're fabulous, but not really what I'm looking for, and I like Android better than iOS.

e: the Acer Iconia a100 does look pretty good actually! I'll check it out, thanks!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Buy a Nook that someone else installed Android on?

Seriously though, the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire currently seem to be the favorite objects in the sub-$250, 7-inch set.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is, there is a rumored sub-$250, 7-inch, Google-designed tablet expected around the middle of the year, and if that comes true it's probably going to make you regret buying anything that's available right now. So if you can wait without your head exploding, then wait.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Would anyone know if the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 is a good buy for that budget?

Nevermind, its on 2.3 android.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
The A100 has been going for $190 off and on if refurb doesn't scare you. I'm considering buying one myself - I can PM you if I see the deal pop up again.

I have the same concern as Rastor though with the upcoming Nexus tablet.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Rastor posted:

Buy a Nook that someone else installed Android on?

Seriously though, the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire currently seem to be the favorite objects in the sub-$250, 7-inch set.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is, there is a rumored sub-$250, 7-inch, Google-designed tablet expected around the middle of the year, and if that comes true it's probably going to make you regret buying anything that's available right now. So if you can wait without your head exploding, then wait.
Oh I can wait. I didn't know about that -- thanks for the heads up!

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 11, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Secret Sweater posted:

:words:

I've noticed that using ROM Manager to upgrade CWM can cause bootloops. You can break out them by performing a cold restart (power+volume dwn).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Secret Sweater posted:

I hate my tablet because I tried to install ROMs without knowing what I'm doing :words:

You could have 1-click rooted with ViperMod Primetime, installed CWM, then flashed any ROM through CWM with no issues. AOKP is full featured (though still suffers from random reboots which I believe to be inevitable) and is AOSP based.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You could have 1-click rooted with ViperMod Primetime, installed CWM, then flashed any ROM through CWM with no issues.
Is this in the manual or something?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is this in the manual or something?

Yes, here is the table of contents, enjoy!

steak ox
Dec 3, 2005
you're the milk in my refrigerator of love

Kynetx posted:

Your experience doesn't seem to be representative of Transformer owners as a whole. There is a reason why the TF-101 was and is very well regarded.

Yeah, I gotta say that my TF-101 is one of my favorite tech purchases that I've ever made. I know it's outdated now by the latest Transformer models, but it's been solid as a rock and still works great. I got one random reboot shortly after the ICS update, but Asus pushed out an update shortly thereafter, and everything has been super smooth since then. Other than the initial ICS weirdness, I have no complaints. It's an awesome tablet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Galaxy Tab 2 info is out.

Looks like Samsung is finally realizing you can't compete on the same price level as the iPad. The 7.0 looks interesting, decent ICS tablet for $250.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.

Kazy posted:

Galaxy Tab 2 info is out.

Looks like Samsung is finally realizing you can't compete on the same price level as the iPad. The 7.0 looks interesting, decent ICS tablet for $250.

Still can't believe there's no premium Android device in our major channels yet :(

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You could have 1-click rooted with ViperMod Primetime, installed CWM, then flashed any ROM through CWM with no issues. AOKP is full featured (though still suffers from random reboots which I believe to be inevitable) and is AOSP based.

You must have missed the part where I said I followed instructions to a T. I'm not an idiot, the problem is not me. Also, it's good that you acknowledge that the end result is what got me into trying to fix the loving thing to begin with.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
Apparently Samsung has told a bunch of journalists that the specs for the Galaxy Note 10.1 haven't been finalised and that we should expect them to change between now and when the pricing/launch date is announced.

Could this be the monster HD quadcore I've wanted for so long? I should know better than to get my hopes up, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I picked up an HTC Flyer for $200 used from Amazon. I really like it, I used it for a couple of work meetings. I really like the note taking feature. I put a screen protector on it, and the additional friction of the protector makes the pen work better.

I really like it, and with a cool black book like case, its replaced my Moleskinne. I'm curious to see how well the Evernote integration works, I guess you can search with in handwritten notes for text somehow. I can't figure out how though.