Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone use Time Machine with a USB drive and an Airport Extreme? From what I've seen on Apple's support forum, it's technically doable but people are saying it's an unsupported feature, there are problems, and fire will rain from the heavens if you do it.

I have to replace my 60 year old parent's router, and I already have an external drive. My plan is:

1. Buy Airport Extreme
2. Partition external drive into 4 partitions: Music, Mom Backup, Dad Backup, General Files
3. Connect everything and bam it just works (?)

Mom Backup and Dad Backup would be the partitions for their respective MBP Time Machines, Music would be my dad's music collection moved to the external so he could access it from multiple machines, and General Files would be a general purpose location to dump things to save space on their laptops.

Does this sound doable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Violator posted:

Does anyone use Time Machine with a USB drive and an Airport Extreme?
It works just fine but it's slow.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It works just fine but it's slow.

Slow enough that it's a problem? For example, would storing his small music collection on the drive be an issue? Or do backups just take a while?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
USB 2.0 transfers at about 20 MB/s; slower if there's a large total number of files (like in a backup). So Time Machine is nice and won't matter since it'll just backup when it can and you don't think about it.

Transferring files between machines is also fine, as long as you understand you will transfer at about 1 GB per minute.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Excellent, thanks a lot guys. I love you all.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Violator posted:

Does anyone use Time Machine with a USB drive and an Airport Extreme? From what I've seen on Apple's support forum, it's technically doable but people are saying it's an unsupported feature, there are problems, and fire will rain from the heavens if you do it.

I've been using this for close to two years now for backups from two MBPs. It used to be borderline unusable because every fifth time or so when I had to interrupt the backups (which is common because they are slow as indicated by others here) due to needing to take the MBP elsewhere, I got the dreaded "Sparsebundle in use" error on the next backup attempt.

This somehow got fixed either by an AEBS firmware update or Lion or both and ever since then it's been rock solid for me.

I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're not using Lion.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

The 15" and 17" could update at the same time since they use quad-core chips. The dual-cores don't come out till June so that would be a reason for the 13" to be stuck until then.
As much as I would like a new form factor for the 17's, Apple tends to delay those a bit.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I pulled the trigger on a 15" MBP refurb this morning, because I need a laptop badly for work next week. At least I still have the option of returning it if the rumour mill continues to ramp up over the next couple of weeks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

flavor posted:

I've been using this for close to two years now for backups from two MBPs. It used to be borderline unusable because every fifth time or so when I had to interrupt the backups (which is common because they are slow as indicated by others here) due to needing to take the MBP elsewhere, I got the dreaded "Sparsebundle in use" error on the next backup attempt.

This somehow got fixed either by an AEBS firmware update or Lion or both and ever since then it's been rock solid for me.

I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're not using Lion.

Thanks for the info. I know one of them is on Lion, and I'll upgrade the other before setting everything up.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I'm picking up an iMac tomorrow that has had an SSD installed. Instead of removing the hardware temp sensor during installation, the dude is telling me that he uses software to manage that (to keep the fans from blowing nonstop). Should I just live with whatever software he is talking about, or is it not that hard to open it up and remove the sensor myself?

On a side note, I think I'm getting a good deal. $1100 for a 27" i7 (I think 2.8 ghz), 256gb SSD, 8GB RAM, and he's including a 1 TB external HD too. I recently bought an iMac, let my friend buy it from me after owning it for one day because he needed it more than I did, and then instantly felt regret and started looking for another one. I'm happy to find this deal, though I'm still not sure why I want an iMac at all. I hate using a desktop computer and my plan all along has been to just get an Ivy Bridge Air this summer. For the rare times I need a "desktop experience" like maybe Photoshop or something, the option woulda been there to get a Thunderbolt Display. This all got thrown off track since I got an iPad and feel like I no longer need an Air, so instead of getting an Air that never really leaves my desk (plugged into Tbolt display) it seemed like an iMac made more sense. Uh I'm just rambling now...basically I'd like somebody tell me it's ok to buy an iMac for no reason other than I Want One :suicide:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Dude I love my 27" iMac at work for no reason other than it's super sexy hardware. If you want one, buy one. You don't need to justify it beyond that :v:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm picking up an iMac tomorrow that has had an SSD installed. Instead of removing the hardware temp sensor during installation, the dude is telling me that he uses software to manage that (to keep the fans from blowing nonstop). Should I just live with whatever software he is talking about, or is it not that hard to open it up and remove the sensor myself?

On a side note, I think I'm getting a good deal. $1100 for a 27" i7 (I think 2.8 ghz), 256gb SSD, 8GB RAM, and he's including a 1 TB external HD too. I recently bought an iMac, let my friend buy it from me after owning it for one day because he needed it more than I did, and then instantly felt regret and started looking for another one. I'm happy to find this deal, though I'm still not sure why I want an iMac at all. I hate using a desktop computer and my plan all along has been to just get an Ivy Bridge Air this summer. For the rare times I need a "desktop experience" like maybe Photoshop or something, the option woulda been there to get a Thunderbolt Display. This all got thrown off track since I got an iPad and feel like I no longer need an Air, so instead of getting an Air that never really leaves my desk (plugged into Tbolt display) it seemed like an iMac made more sense. Uh I'm just rambling now...basically I'd like somebody tell me it's ok to buy an iMac for no reason other than I Want One :suicide:

Do what I did and buy an air and a korean 27 inch IPS. They're less than $350 shipped (you need an active display port --> dual link dvi adapter). Best of both worlds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Link to said Korean IPS 27?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BlackMK4 posted:

Just be warned that they routinely have 3-4 bad pixels. And super bare bones for connections.

They have some glass ones though that would match the iMac, I've been tempted.

Edit: I want to hook one up in addition to target display, but the USB dvi connector can handle the resolution. I guess I need a thunderbolt hub.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 12, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
SSD install successful into my Mac Mini. This thing screams, and the Mac enables just so many other features on my iPad and iPhone. A bit of double stick tape keeps that SSD locked onto to the frame of the mini.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Can anyone think of anything to add to my checklist for inspecting the iMac I'm gonna buy tomorrow?

-Check screen size (lol at the thought of someone trying to pass off 21" model as 27" though) and look for dead pixels/any screen bleeding
-Make sure it's the proper specs in "About This Mac"
-Look for physical damage like dents or scratches
-Test each USB port with a stick, test bluetooth connection with a keyboard
-Make sure the SSD isn't causing the fans to run full blast. Maybe run a harddrive health test off the USB stick? Same thing for RAM?
-Test the DVD drive
-Test the speakers

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

All the info, including eBay sellers are in that thread.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Shmoogy posted:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

All the info, including eBay sellers are in that thread.

Any recommendations on which one, the thread goes through it I saw, but it's kind of an info dump.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is that a 2010 or 2011? No clue if that's a good deal or anything either way, just that Sandy Bridge was a nice boost and AirPlay mirroring in 10.8 appears to require it (probably cause the hardware encoder). Another option is a Mac mini, but ultimately the iMac is a much better deal.

As for the SSD thing, uh I guess if it works keep it. My main concern would just be the software breaking down the line...and having no clue how he did the upgrade in the first place. Maybe he hosed up something inside that becomes an issue later on, who knows.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

I'm pretty sure it's late 2009. As far as the SSD installation, he claims he took it to a "Mac repair store" to have it put in :pwn:

I'm meeting him in about 8 hours, gonna really try to go over the system with a fine tooth comb before buying it. We're meeting in a Starbucks so I don't really have an unlimited amount of time to run RAM health tests and stuff, but I am getting more and more paranoid as the meeting time approaches.

Edit: "HDD Fan Control" is the name of the app he uses

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 12, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Do what I did and buy an air and a korean 27 inch IPS. They're less than $350 shipped (you need an active display port --> dual link dvi adapter). Best of both worlds.

I'm seriously consider doing this. The air doesn't have any problem driving the monitor? I know you need that $100 adapter too.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mattfl posted:

I'm seriously consider doing this. The air doesn't have any problem driving the monitor? I know you need that $100 adapter too.

I bought the mono price one, but it runs it well. Not great for gaming at 1080 or higher, but that shouldn't be surprising.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

I bought the mono price one, but it runs it well. Not great for gaming at 1080 or higher, but that shouldn't be surprising.

I do pretty much 0 gaming on my MBA so that wouldn't be an issue.. hmmmm decisions decisions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

I do pretty much 0 gaming on my MBA so that wouldn't be an issue.. hmmmm decisions decisions.

If you have an iPad and don't really need a laptop, you're getting like 2-4 times the computer with a 27" iMac than a Macbook Air. You can add a fuckton of RAM, put a 1TB HD in there, dedicated graphics, blah blah

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mattfl posted:

Did you see the awful backlight bleed on the pictures the guy posted about the Korean ones?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Couldn't be much worse than the blacklight bleed on my 13" MBP.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For what it's worth, I have a perfect monitor, no dead/stuck pixels, light bleed, or any nasties. The only annoyance of it is that the stand is poo poo-- As I type on my keyboard, the monitor itself would wobble on the default stand.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who else makes great monitors right now? I'm looking for a 24" IPS LED.

bishun
Feb 16, 2010

You know the dryl.

Mu Zeta posted:

Who else makes great monitors right now? I'm looking for a 24" IPS LED.

Try Monitor/Display Megathread

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
The right speaker/subwoofer on my mid 2010 macbook pro 15" blew this morning. Does anyone know where I could get replacement parts from a reputable dealer, or how much it would cost me to have apple repair it themselves (out of warranty)?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

So I picked up the iMac, everything seemed to check out just fine. It has two apps to account for the SSD...one enables trim, and the other is called "HDD Fan Control." I don't want to mess with the settings on it or anything, so I hope it never messes up haha.

What size do you iMac users set the font at for browsing? I'm sitting fairly far back since the screen is so big, and this seems a tiny bit too small.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

What size do you iMac users set the font at for browsing? I'm sitting fairly far back since the screen is so big, and this seems a tiny bit too small.

I just leave it where it's at. I sit about 2 feet away from my screen, it 'looks' bigger than my Air.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Thalamus posted:

The right speaker/subwoofer on my mid 2010 macbook pro 15" blew this morning. Does anyone know where I could get replacement parts from a reputable dealer, or how much it would cost me to have apple repair it themselves (out of warranty)?

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15%22-Unibody-Mid-2010#0-Speakers

iFixit has parts and guides for just about everything, though you may be able to find parts for a little cheaper elsewhere. Not a big deal for a $30 part, though.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I just leave it where it's at. I sit about 2 feet away from my screen, it 'looks' bigger than my Air.

Haha yeah I think I'm used to it already, it just seemed relatively small on this massive screen.

This thing is so fast with the SSD. I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

So has Apple simply abandoned the Mac Pro line? It's been nearly two years since they were updated and the prices are the same as they were in July 2010.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sent from my iPad posted:

So has Apple simply abandoned the Mac Pro line? It's been nearly two years since they were updated and the prices are the same as they were in July 2010.

The new Xeons just came out like a month or so ago.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

More like Intel doesn't care about keeping xeons bleeding edge, or isn't able to.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I posted about it a while back, but we had a meeting with Apple recently, and they all but flat out said the Mac Pro was dead, while touting ThunderBolt as the second coming of Christ. That, coupled with the Sandy Bridge-E launch with nary a peep from Apple, should give you a very clear picture of what is going on.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
How does Apple plan to retain a big professional user-base if they're scrapping their best video editing platforms? If pros want to use OSX, they need machines to do it on. As it is, my friend's video production company is planning on transitioning to Hackintosh builds to replace their aging Mac Pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wheez the roux posted:

How does Apple plan to retain a big professional user-base if they're scrapping their best video editing platforms? If pros want to use OSX, they need machines to do it on. As it is, my friend's video production company is planning on transitioning to Hackintosh builds to replace their aging Mac Pros.

I don't think they do.