Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For a regular old TN monitor, just check out the deal sites every day and wait until you see one within your price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got it, so it looks like the ASUS monitors call their IPS "Smart view", so I will look into those ones as well.

screaminghobo
Sep 9, 2011
If there is anyone interested about a Dell U2711, the Canadian Dell site has them on sale for $779. The sale is on through April 12th. Looks like it's just on the Canadian site though, the American site has it at the regular price.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sorry, I've been super busy and haven't been able to check into the thread that often, but there are a ton of regular helpful posters in here (which is great). At the $200 range though, you're right, there aren't many applicable options in that post for you (because around that range gets into TN territory). I should probably add some of the cheap Asus or LG IPS displays that have been mentioned in the past 2 pages.

If I recall correctly, I think I put a little blurb in the monitor post regarding how most TN monitors were essentially interchangeable. I think that part could still probably use some cleaning up, so I'll likely edit it soon (and I think we've got some more Catleap information that could go in that post as well)! I think I wrote in there somewhere, at the low end, try to buy from the brand that will have the easiest RMA as your deciding factor.

Also Factory Factory haven't forgotten about the GPU Thread stuff I will PM you tonight (for reals).

e: iSheep the benefit of getting a low-end IPS over a TN will primarily be in the viewing angles (in that they will not be atrocious). The color reproduction may be better, but the primary advantage will be in not having lovely viewing angles that are endemic of TN screens.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

GPU thread? YES!!!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Could you add a rough PSU requirements blurb in the GPU thread?
:allears:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Could you add a rough PSU requirements blurb in the GPU thread?
:allears:

Amazon affiliate link to 1kW PSUs+ :smug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:negative:

Actually, given the depth of the resources available in this and similar threads on SH/SC, I wouldn't have qualms about a voluntary :10bux: donation once in a while to expertgoonbeerfund...

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

movax posted:

e: iSheep the benefit of getting a low-end IPS over a TN will primarily be in the viewing angles (in that they will not be atrocious). The color reproduction may be better, but the primary advantage will be in not having lovely viewing angles that are endemic of TN screens.

Yeah I'm looking into some lower end IPS screens. But since every brand has its own name for it, makes it a bit hard to shop around. The ASUS monitors have "Smartview" but they also have other monitors that boast that its an IPS, so is the smart view the "inbetween" TN and IPS?

I like the prices and looks of the LG ones, but I want something that is VESA mountable...

I would jump on the U2312HM just to make this easy for me, but it has no HDMI port. This is hard, man :(

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iSheep posted:

I would jump on the U2312HM just to make this easy for me, but it has no HDMI port. This is hard, man :(

You may want to consider using a HDMI to DVI cable such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203029

It should work fine from your desktop to your monitor.

Just a note though, if you'll be plugging it in to some cable set top boxes, some cable boxes don't think such cables are HDCP compliant, which is annoying (I faced this issue trying to connect my U2311H via DVI-->HDMI to my Virgin Media tv box - ended up just connecting it to my roommate's TV instead with straight HDMI to HDMI to prevent all the fuss).

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well I want the HDMI to run my Xbox to it since I travel with it from time to time. Does the Xbox has issues running HDMI to DVI?

I found an LG that does HDMI, VESA compatible, can pick up a "Used - Like new" one from Amazon for 222.10 shipped.

LG IPS231P-BN

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005289

EDIT: It does not have HDMI... back to the drawing board.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 11, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You intend to bring a 23" monitor and an xbox with you while travelling?

:stare:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Steakandchips posted:

You intend to bring a 23" monitor and an xbox with you while travelling?

:stare:

LAN parties and stuff, have a group of friends that like doing it the old fashioned way. So not TRAVELING traveling.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS229HP/

Looks like I found a good candidate, I don't mind settling with 21.5". Its the size of my monitor at work and it does the job just fine.

Quote != Edit, sorry for spamming the thread...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That's not a bad monitor, but the ASUS warranty isn't great: http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VS229H-P&p=13&s=29 You can open the box to up to 5 dead pixels and they won't take it back, and after a year 3 bright/stuck pixels are acceptable, too.

Considering the price, you might want to look at the Dell U2212HM or U2211H. Both are very good monitors and carry a better warranty, and are made by a company with a better overall reputation for quality monitors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He wants native HDMI support on the new monitor in order to prevent possible HDCP issues against his Xbox if he uses a adapter/ HDMI -> DVI cable.

Can any of you confirm Xbox support over using adapters / HDMI->DVI cables with the U22/U23 line?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm looking for a replacement for my Dell 2005FPW (still going strong, like its one generation older brother it will get a good home with one of my sisters), and the Dell 2412M is looking interesting. The low energy consumption and the low price are very enticing. I would use two of them as portrait mode side monitors to my Dell U2711 main monitor, gaming performance or the same wide colour array as my 27" (which I love) isn't an issue, since they would function (like my trusty 20" now) as browser/music/email-client/"play background videos"-monitors. Is the Dell 2412M a decent replacement for such a job?

I read something about issues with being put on a display port on Nvidia-cards? I'm considering buying a AMD7870, so that's not a big issue, unless they have the same problem there (the card only has one DVI port, so I'm kinda stuck with DP for the side monitors).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You'll be able to drive your 3 monitors with the 7870 via 1 DVI and 2 DP just fine.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

iSheep posted:

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS229HP/

Looks like I found a good candidate, I don't mind settling with 21.5". Its the size of my monitor at work and it does the job just fine.

Quote != Edit, sorry for spamming the thread...

Lg do a 23" HDMI version that is pretty cheap
http://www.lg.com/hk/it-product/monitor/LG-IPS236V.jsp

There is also the AOC i2352vh which is a little cheaper (in the uk at least) good reviews to
http://www.aocmonitorap.com/hongkong_eng/monitor_318.php

Shitty Treat fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 12, 2012

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

lovely Treat posted:

Lg do a 23" HDMI version that is pretty cheap
http://www.lg.com/hk/it-product/monitor/LG-IPS236V.jsp

There is also the AOC i2352vh which is a little cheaper (in the uk at least) good reviews to
http://www.aocmonitorap.com/hongkong_eng/monitor_318.php

I'll take a look at the LG, apparently the Best Buy near me has one. Reviews aren't so great from what I've seen, however. If I can get some confirmation on HDMI > DVI handshaking with the Xbox I'll probably jump on an Ultrasharp.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

iSheep posted:

I'll take a look at the LG, apparently the Best Buy near me has one. Reviews aren't so great from what I've seen, however. If I can get some confirmation on HDMI > DVI handshaking with the Xbox I'll probably jump on an Ultrasharp.
HDMI > DVI lacks sound unfortunately.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

HDMI > DVI lacks sound unfortunately.

Xbox has a discrete optical out on all iterations I thought, or do the latest ones drop that as well?

Don't think the 360 can do >5.1 anyways, so TOSLINK is fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
For pre-slim 360s you had to have a breakout box for optical out. I believe the slim has an optical out jack on the back. My old 360 elite came with an audio breakout box and a microsoft hdmi cable, but a lot of people in that situation hacked the video breakout to be an optical out for HDMI (you have to cut off some of the casing to make it fit and sever some wire that will cause the 360 to reboot when switching inputs on your tv/receiver if you don't).

And yeah it's not like the 360 supports DTS-MA or anything crazy, so optical is the best you are going to get.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 12, 2012

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've read about the hacks that you can do with the standard RCA connection to get audio, I could run that to a small preamp > headphones.

I have a slim system, could run optical out, having trouble finding a small preamp cheap that can do optical in > TRS, however.

VVVVV

iSheep fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
How just buy the official Xbox 360 VGA cable and forget about fuckery. It has two RCA jacks for audio and includes an optical port even.

I very, very, very much doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between VGA and HDMI on a 360, because almost all games are fairly blurry anyway, and scaled up.

vv Fair enough, but that could be also to do with the way a TV handles the input. Bear in mind good old VGA was used just fine (maybe still is) for things requiring fine detail such as medical imaging for a long time when they were using crazy resolutions. Obviously I'm not saying it's the best choice now vs a digital input, but it's not always as terrible as people might imagine, especially for a 360, where most games are 720p or slightly sub-720p and scaled up anyway..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 12, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You totally can, or at least I could on my old DLP tv which had a VGA in. HDMI was much better.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
http://slickdeals.net/f/4218760-Refurbished-UltraSharp-U2311H-23-inch-monitor-133-60-w-FS?token=AAYBBQAAAAAFO0BfiA

Sale over at Dell outlet

quote:

20% off any Refurbished UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch monitor! Enter 4J$098G$PXNVFV @ checkout:

$133 for a 23 inch IPS.

e: gone

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

HalloKitty posted:

Bear in mind good old VGA was used just fine (maybe still is) for things requiring fine detail such as medical imaging for a long time when they were using crazy resolutions. Obviously I'm not saying it's the best choice now vs a digital input, but it's not always as terrible as people might imagine, especially for a 360, where most games are 720p or slightly sub-720p and scaled up anyway..
What kind of refresh rates were they using at those resolutions?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Arrowsmith posted:

What kind of refresh rates were they using at those resolutions?

Up to 80hz, it looks like. With VGA, you're not limited by what a spec defines, you're limited by the weaker of the two ends (your video card, or your monitor). If both ends are good enough (and your cable as well), it can support pretty much any resolution or refresh rate. VGA just gets a bad name because if either one of those components isn't up to snuff, it goes to poo poo (and I know from first hand experience there were plenty of mainstream video cards with poo poo VGA output).

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I finally got my Korean Crossover.... Its Awesome but I did have to pay £39.03 in customs charges and waited nearly 2 weeks. Thats to the UK though and ous post is poo poo at the best of times!

I have one "stuck" pixel which is green when black. The OSD has buttons but doesn't work at all but drat this is nice. 27" of IPS goodness.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zhentar posted:

If both ends are good enough (and your cable as well)

That reminds me of a specific anecdote about the Xbox 360 and VGA output: the unofficial cables are no good. I knew someone with a third-party cable, and it looked like crap. Buy official cable, problem solved.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
So I impulse-bought the Asus VH242H, a 200$ 1900x1080 TN monitor, to use on my primary desktop. THEN I came across this thread and remembered IPS. I now regret buying it.

Since then I looked around and for 370$ I could've gotten the Dell U2412M, a 1900x1200 IPS monitor mentioned in the OP.

Do you guys think it's worth it to take the 15% restocking fee hit and return it to Newegg, and get the U2412M? I use this computer for pretty much everything: read/browse, watch movies, play high-end games, and code.

Also, since it's still unopened, should I try talking Newegg out of the restocking fee?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Give it a try. You will be unhappy with it forever if you are disappointed now without even opening the box.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Newegg are running a special today on Dell monitors. I just picked up a U2312HM for $255 shipped. Would have been less but I get charged sales tax. Use code EMCNFJG43.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I want the biggest monitor that my setup can handle.

Wonderful new computer courtesy of Factory Factory and VorpalFish
i5-2500k
560ti Nvidia reference board (Tomshardware)

550W Thermaltake psu.

I already have a crappy ACER 1920x1080 TN and I'd love to do some dual-screen setup but if I can have a super huge monitor I'd be OK with having only one of them.

Edit: For gaming, as much as possible. Some movies occasionally.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 14, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Seven Five Nine posted:

I want the biggest monitor that my setup can handle.

Wonderful new computer courtesy of Factory Factory and VorpalFish
i5-2500k
560ti Nvidia reference board (Tomshardware)

550W Thermaltake psu.

I already have a crappy ACER 1920x1080 TN and I'd love to do some dual-screen setup but if I can have a super huge monitor I'd be OK with having only one of them.

Your GPU is going to need to be replaced every few years; a monitor should outlast every other component of your system. You're probably want to look at the 27" or 30" class.

The 560 Ti wasn't intended to push >1080p resolutions, but if I can get my 460 to game at 1600p, I'm sure your 560 Ti will perform fine.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

movax posted:

Your GPU is going to need to be replaced every few years; a monitor should outlast every other component of your system. You're probably want to look at the 27" or 30" class.

The 560 Ti wasn't intended to push >1080p resolutions, but if I can get my 460 to game at 1600p, I'm sure your 560 Ti will perform fine.

What kind of settings changes do you have to make to game quality to get it at those resolutions?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Seven Five Nine posted:

What kind of settings changes do you have to make to game quality to get it at those resolutions?

I kill off SSAO and other effects that are low yield, high cost. I kill off traditional AA as well, because A. I'm at an obnoxiously high resolution, somewhat relieving the need for strong AA. And B, the post-processing AA methods are surprisingly gentle on the GPU.

A healthy GPU overclock doesn't hurt either.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/sharp-rolls-out-high-res-igzo-lcds-destined-for-tablets-laptops/

Good news for anyone else who is "stuck" at 2560x1600: there might be 32-inch 3840x2160 monitors coming our way soon :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

fookolt posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/sharp-rolls-out-high-res-igzo-lcds-destined-for-tablets-laptops/

Good news for anyone else who is "stuck" at 2560x1600: there might be 32-inch 3840x2160 monitors coming our way soon :dance:

Too bad it's not 3840x2400.