Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Edit: nothing to see here

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Nate RFB posted:

Am I the only one bothered by Acebuckeye13's avatar not having a uniformly white background?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Nate RFB posted:

Am I the only one bothered by Acebuckeye13's avatar not having a uniformly white background?
... dammit, why'd you have to go and mention that? :mad: Now I'll never be able to look at it again!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

Well apparently, you're not the only one.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 11, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Since avatarchat is still going on, I have a question (although one I hope won't cause a lot of disagreement). Right now I'm organizing the avatar repository by the person who posted them, because that makes it easy for me to find them when I need to move them to/from the taken category.

I'm wondering if it might be more useful to have them organized by subject (i.e. "Coyote", "Annie", "Kat", "Annie and Kat", "Shadow") - it might help people who are looking through the post trying to find something in particular. And it would involve fewer headers, since at this point there are fewer characters in avatars then there are people posting them (which is good since I don't want to hit the post size limit). In this design, all the "taken" avatars would be in a giant glob at the bottom since nobody is looking through them for anything except me.

On the downside, we would lose the credit for the poster, which doesn't matter to me personally since I feel like I'm just cropping Tom's art anyway, but I know opinions vary on this topic. What do you all think?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I like that idea. I'd also like to thank you for keeping that post organized.

I think the most important elements are an easy collection, and then keeping the taken avatars as updated as we can. It would be unfortunate if people end up with duplicates with so many choices as is.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
So I got Gunnerkrigg Court Volumes 1, 2 (through a lot of effort and bribery), and 3 for my youngest sister, who is 12. She is absolutely enamored with them, and thinks that Antimony and Kat are basically the coolest chicks ever--she's even started passing the books around with her friends, who also love them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Thank you, Mr. Siddell, for making wonderful, realistic characters that young girls can relate to. I know we're all old, embittered, internet goons, but you really have made something fantastic here, and I'm very grateful for that.

On an avatarchat-related note, how many variations of this avatar are floating around? I never get tired of seeing The Saddest Face.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Allan Assiduity posted:

... dammit, why'd you have to go and mention that? :mad: Now I'll never be able to look at it again!

:saddowns:

idonotlikepeas posted:

Since avatarchat is still going on, I have a question (although one I hope won't cause a lot of disagreement). Right now I'm organizing the avatar repository by the person who posted them, because that makes it easy for me to find them when I need to move them to/from the taken category.

I'm wondering if it might be more useful to have them organized by subject (i.e. "Coyote", "Annie", "Kat", "Annie and Kat", "Shadow") - it might help people who are looking through the post trying to find something in particular. And it would involve fewer headers, since at this point there are fewer characters in avatars then there are people posting them (which is good since I don't want to hit the post size limit). In this design, all the "taken" avatars would be in a giant glob at the bottom since nobody is looking through them for anything except me.

On the downside, we would lose the credit for the poster, which doesn't matter to me personally since I feel like I'm just cropping Tom's art anyway, but I know opinions vary on this topic. What do you all think?

Perhaps you could organize them by subject, followed by creator? That would be a hell of an effort, though.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:saddowns:

Perhaps you could organize them by subject, followed by creator? That would be a hell of an effort, though.

That could work, but it would be a bunch of work to set up for no more gain than ":smug: look at how much I've contributed". idonotlikepeas would have a ton of work cut out for him.

As much as I like seeing my username there and feeling smug, I could understand if he decided it was too much trouble. If we were doing it this way maybe some of us could help him with the work or something because drat it would be rough having to sort through all that. I'd take a section or two, at least.

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!
Does anyone know when/if volume 2 will come back into print?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I like feeling :smug: but yeah, you're probably better off organizing them just by "annie, kat, coyote, pictures of the moon, etc"

It would also make it easier for you to find which pictures are from where when somebody just posts "I want this one, gimme some text"

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maybe file the "Taken" avatars by their subject as well, to make it a bit easier in the event that someone gives up an avatar. Also I guess so that people who want to see lots of pictures of Kat making funny faces can do that without scrolling down to a big brick of assorted avatars.

And yeah, I like feeling appreciated for simple resizing and cropping of someone else's art (and sometimes copy-pasting to remove sound effects or bubbles :smug:) as much as the next person, but there's really no reason to sort it by username when another method would be easier and more organized.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Even though I've only tossed in a handful of silly avatars I'm gonna pretend like I should have a say in it. I think sorting by character is a good idea too, but you could just make a little credits section at the bottom of the post. Obviously, Tom's name would top the list.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

kirrus posted:

Does anyone know when/if volume 2 will come back into print?

Once it does, there is gonna be SUCH a goon rush.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Perfection

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well apparently, you're not the only one.

Is that the third time that avatar's been rebought?

Edit: I come bearing gifts!

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 11, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rumda posted:

Perfection

Now we just need to co-ordinate with Acebuckeye13 so we can post in tandem :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Edmond Dantes posted:

Shouldn't be too hard. :v:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

It'd be funnier if you capped it with Nonbaka's avatar.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well its not going to happen now is it

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

/\/\/\/\ Let it happen organically, man, otherwise it's gimmick posting.

Hahahaa!
<-------

Oh man, Mort is my favorite! Thanks Avatar Fairy!

EDIT: Someone, quick! Change kirrus'! The whole page, man!

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 11, 2012

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It doesn't count until we get to the end of the page.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
At this point it's not even an avatar fairy, more like an avatar demigod...or coyote.

How's that for enigmatic?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Osmosisch posted:

At this point it's not even an avatar fairy, more like an avatar demigod...or coyote.

How's that for enigmatic?

Change it to the avatar fairies trying to become god, and bam.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Coyote avatars represent.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I obviously have to post on this page so that there's one more GC avatar present. :)

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
It's pretty sweet seeing all these Gunnerkrigg avatars, especially the ones I animated. I should make more for people. Gunnerkrigg for everyone!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I already posted.

Or did I?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

cranky pomme posted:

So I got Gunnerkrigg Court Volumes 1, 2 (through a lot of effort and bribery), and 3 for my youngest sister, who is 12. She is absolutely enamored with them, and thinks that Antimony and Kat are basically the coolest chicks ever--she's even started passing the books around with her friends, who also love them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Thank you, Mr. Siddell, for making wonderful, realistic characters that young girls can relate to. I know we're all old, embittered, internet goons, but you really have made something fantastic here, and I'm very grateful for that.

On an avatarchat-related note, how many variations of this avatar are floating around? I never get tired of seeing The Saddest Face.

Sup Saddest Face buddy. :hfive:

Also that is the best story. Good to see Tom's stuff getting spread far and wide.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Quick hurry up, everyone post before we get one of those dirty non-Gunnerkrigg avatar people gets on this page.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Wow, all the Coyote avatars on this page makes you realize how popular he is.

I can't disagree. Coyote is the best.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Look at all those Coyote avatars, it's a great thing indeed.

Coyote is the best, he's very powerful you know.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bussamove posted:

Sup Saddest Face buddy. :hfive:

Also that is the best story. Good to see Tom's stuff getting spread far and wide.

Demanding face is superior, sorry. :colbert: Also MoonwalkInvincible needs to get off of probation!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That and Kirrus needs to pony up and buy an avatar already. I don't recall seeing any stupid newbies in GC :colbert:

(besides Red & Co)

e: oh, hey, whaddya know.

vvvvvvvvv someone buy that fucker a boxbot

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 12, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Wrist Watch posted:

Quick hurry up, everyone post before we get one of those dirty non-Gunnerkrigg avatar people gets on this page.

Well, Kirrus is one of us now. Soon the cycle will be complete!

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

:mad: Everyone knows that Red avatars are the best. :mad:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wow, all the Coyote avatars on this page makes you realize how popular he is.

I can't disagree. Coyote is the best.
It doesn't hurt that pretty much everything with Coyote in it is excellent avatar material. The only reason I don't have a Coyote avatar is that swords are neat.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Could we actually do it?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

I already posted.

Or did I?

Looks like I tricked you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is stupid.