Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Crossposted from my log: I think I'm starting to understand the shot. First you change levels, then you take the penetrating step. Once you've stepped, you push with your back foot to extend your hips forward (into your opponent), which drives your front knee forward. As you approach full extension with the back leg, you start driving with your front foot, which extends your hips even further forward and ends up driving your front knee so far forward that it ends up on the mat.

That's why you change levels before you step - all your movement after that comes from hip extension.

Or am I totally off base here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not a good wrestler but normally I do a lot more than just take a penetrating step and drive forward with a couple steps. I'm not good at explaining this, but if you look at the way Koscheck or Sonnen pursue takedowns it's like that. They grab a guy and then stay as tight as they can while driving forward, pulling, and turning at the same time. You have all these forces acting on a guy to destabilize his base and it takes some top notch defensive wrestling to either stuff these takedowns or come out on top of a scramble.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm probably the WORST wrestler, but as far as the turning part is concerned, my understanding is that after you've changed levels, shot in and have grabbed the back of your opponents knees or under their rear end, you use your head to push them in one direction, while you pull their legs/hips in the other, thus turning them.

Maybe I've misunderstood something, though. I am but a poor european, after all, and no amount of technical instruction will ever stop me from british doubling

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Anyone have a joint crackle like rice crispies? I got americanad in a comp yesterday, opponent yanked it so before I tapped my elbow made this really loud crackling sound like someone stepping on cornflakes or something, ref heard it and opponent heard it so he stopped yanking. No sharp pain or anything, just feels really sore, still today. Did a couple of strands of muscle tear?

Didn't tap tho
:smuggo:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah it's happened when I got armbarred and didn't tap soon enough. It hurt a little after but the next day it was fine.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Haven't had that happen to me personally, but the exact same thing happened to a training partner of mine, and he was back to train a couple of days after and it was never mentioned again, so I assume it wasn't too serious.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It happened to me in my first ever grappling match, the same lock too actually, didn't feel any pain at all and continued to do four more matches but the next morning my arm was completely locked in position since my elbow had swollen up. Some little thing inside had broken off apparently. Still didn't hurt much though it took about a week for the swelling to go down.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Just curious, has anyone dealt with a hip flexor strain? I seem to be unable to get it completely healed up, it's been an issue since the beginning of the year. I just can't find a way to live in grappling without it becoming an issue with posting and my base.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

the least weasel posted:

It happened to me in my first ever grappling match, the same lock too actually, didn't feel any pain at all and continued to do four more matches but the next morning my arm was completely locked in position since my elbow had swollen up. Some little thing inside had broken off apparently. Still didn't hurt much though it took about a week for the swelling to go down.
Luckily mine isn't as bad, I have full flexibility still, and also was able to get tapped twice after that!

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I think it depends on the person for joints popping. Mine pop all the time, but never do damage. I think my joints are just filled with gravel. Still I would be very careful if something pops.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Here is a video of me getting americanad, it happens around 4:55. Pretty uneventful, until that. Went for the half guard quite a lot, trying to get the underhook and take the back, didn't really manage to hit that though. Not impressed with my performance. But then again my ankle looked like this
two weeks ago so I wasn't really comfortable shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyT-_Zx1t4A

Also here is my first match of the competition, missing the first half for some reason. Got my back taken but rolled us out of bounds so we were reset in that position where the video starts. I was trying a calf crusher at 2:30 but the ref told me they're not allowed, so I stopped going for it. Later it turned out they were allowed actually, so in my mind I could have tapped that dude for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok49R2Z64fg

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

1st AD posted:

I'm not a good wrestler but normally I do a lot more than just take a penetrating step and drive forward with a couple steps. I'm not good at explaining this, but if you look at the way Koscheck or Sonnen pursue takedowns it's like that. They grab a guy and then stay as tight as they can while driving forward, pulling, and turning at the same time. You have all these forces acting on a guy to destabilize his base and it takes some top notch defensive wrestling to either stuff these takedowns or come out on top of a scramble.

That gives me a lot to think about. Hopefully I get the green light from my ortho soon and I can get back on the mat.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Nick Diaz vs Braulio Estima, BJJ Superfight, 180 lbs, May 12th

Hope they get video of this, it oughtta be a fun watch.

widunder
May 2, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Nick Diaz vs Braulio Estima, BJJ Superfight, 180 lbs, May 12th

Hope they get video of this, it oughtta be a fun watch.
This is silly.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It's gonna own if Nick doesn't pull out or something

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Every BJJ super fight I'm excited about always gets cancelled, so it probably won't materialize.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
That's going to go about the same way as when I roll with Braulio.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Taratang posted:

That's going to go about the same way as when I roll with Braulio.
This is what I'm thinking. I love Diaz and everything, but Braulio is just too much.

Opal
May 10, 2005

So the Abu Dhabi World (gi) Championships is coming up this weekend, does anybody have an idea of how to catch it? Nemoulette gave me this link earlier http://www.livep2pstream.com/tv_channels/a/abu_dhabi_sports.php but it looks so-so.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

nemoulette posted:

This is what I'm thinking. I love Diaz and everything, but Braulio is just too much.

Special rule: both men have to keep their J's lit at all times during the match.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the least weasel posted:

It's gonna own if Nick doesn't pull out or something

In Nick's last two grappling superfight matches, he lost via no-show and via cut. Nick Diaz, ladies and gentlemen.

widunder
May 2, 2002

the least weasel posted:

So the Abu Dhabi World (gi) Championships is coming up this weekend, does anybody have an idea of how to catch it? Nemoulette gave me this link earlier http://www.livep2pstream.com/tv_channels/a/abu_dhabi_sports.php but it looks so-so.
I have no idea where to stream it other than that link, but it should be noted that the thing actually was shown on television there. Here's my teammate narrowly losing the final.

http://youtu.be/krIKNbn2D3Y

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
So, I am thinking of starting to train BJJ, and i was wondering like, what the absolute essential things i should get before i start. Please bear in mind I am on a fairly tight budget, but i also dont want to gently caress myself up because id rather buy a the right gear than pay a dotors bill.

I am thinking about both Gi and No Gi

e: I am sure this kind of thing was covered somewhere, but this is PSP. Dont Watch Fights, Dont Read Threads.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 12, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So, I am thinking of starting to train BJJ, and i was wondering like, what the absolute essential things i should get before i start. Please bear in mind I am on a fairly tight budget, but i also dont want to gently caress myself up because id rather buy a the right gear than pay a dotors bill.

I am thinking about both Gi and No Gi

e: I am sure this kind of thing was covered somewhere, but this is PSP. Dont Watch Fights, Dont Read Threads.
Absolute essential things (in my opinion):
1. Mouth guard.
2. Pants/shorts with a good draw string on them.
3. A shirt you don't mind sweating in. Ideally one that is not too lose. (A plain white t-shirt has worked well in the past for me.)

If money is tight, you don't need compression shorts or a rashguard although they are nice. On a couple of occasions I've trained in jeans, it is not a big deal.

As for gis, Judo gis are usually cheaper than their BJJ counter parts. The cheapest single weave I know of is around 40 dollars, and the double weave I use would be around 70-80.

It really depends on your tastes. There are days where I'm tempted to put down $140 on a nice BJJ gi.

However, most gyms are fine with you starting gi classes without a gi.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 12, 2012

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
most gyms have a gi you can borrow the first day. don't train in jeans

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wear a cup, no one likes your junk rubbing on them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I hate when my training partners wear cups. It hurts way more and my lumbar disk was actually herniated by someone using a cup to drive into my spine.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Don't train in jeans they are very rough and the little studs on the pockets can cut skin. You're also going to be very constricted and hot as hell in your crotch.

Walmart rash guards are inexpensive and whatever their cheapest shorts are at the time. Padilla and son sell world class gis cheap. Or just wear a judo gi, good enough for Roger, good enough for everyone.

Buy a good mouth guard, boil and bite or a custom dentist job. This is the only thing I recommend you don't cheap out on because mouth injuries can mess up your life and cost a lot.

Cup is kind of Grey area, just be careful not to hurt people, no cup based spine locks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It doesn't bother me whether my training partners wear cups or not, but there are a number of moves that are a pain in the rear end (or, more accurately, the balls) if I'm not wearing one. I prefer to have one just because it's not uncommon to take an accidental shot there, especially if somebody's an aggressive guard passer standing and you're playing open guard.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

fatherdog posted:

It doesn't bother me whether my training partners wear cups or not, but there are a number of moves that are a pain in the rear end (or, more accurately, the balls) if I'm not wearing one. I prefer to have one just because it's not uncommon to take an accidental shot there, especially if somebody's an aggressive guard passer standing and you're playing open guard.

Seconded, if you play open guard and want to have kids where a cup.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Do you train without one when preparing for competitions that ban them?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

Do you train without one when preparing for competitions that ban them?

Yep (although I don't do that very often because I don't do a lot of gi competitions)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

Cup is kind of Grey area, just be careful not to hurt people, no cup based spine locks.

you can explain the illegal dick to the neck moves

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Buy a cheap gi on bjjhq.com they have great deals but it might take a few days for a deal to show up on a cheaper gi.

Buy a cup and compression shorts from a sporting goods store, for no gi buy an athletic style workout shirt from a thrift store or Walmart and you're all set.

widunder
May 2, 2002

the least weasel posted:

My friend claims that it will begin streaming at 08:00 CET below, with the BB division.

http://www.talfazat.com/en/video-player/AbuDhabiSportChannel/

widunder fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 12, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

owns

edit: that's 8 Saturday morning, right?

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 12, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

Wear a cup, no one likes your junk rubbing on them.

I have been to four gyms and trained with 50+ guys and no one has worn a cup. Unless you enjoy frottage it's not going to be a problem.

I've also found mouthguards are only an issue when doing guard stuff. Most commonly breaking people down in your guard will have them headbutting your teeth. This is actually really common, though, so a mouthguard is definitely worth getting. Kneepads may also be advisable if the mat surface of the local gym is rough. Certain surfaces will injure your skin so badly you can't train for a couple of weeks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I have been to four gyms and trained with 50+ guys and no one has worn a cup. Unless you enjoy frottage it's not going to be a problem.

I've also found mouthguards are only an issue when doing guard stuff. Most commonly breaking people down in your guard will have them headbutting your teeth. This is actually really common, though, so a mouthguard is definitely worth getting. Kneepads may also be advisable if the mat surface of the local gym is rough. Certain surfaces will injure your skin so badly you can't train for a couple of weeks.

I've also taken a couple teeth rattlers passing guard as well.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xguard86 posted:

I've also taken a couple teeth rattlers passing guard as well.

I meant the other way around. Tugging on a guy's elbows and shifting my legs up results in a number of headbutts. I'm only 179cm (~5'10 or 5'11) though so if you are 6' plus it might be a different experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've kneed myself in the face from open guard more than I've been kneed or been headbutted by others. Being flexible is not just a dance on roses, let me tell you.