Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anything with normal spokes. I think only BMW has run a spoked rim without tubes because the spokes attached to the outside edge of the rim, outside of where the tire bead sits. Any other spoked rim has to have a tube unless the owner has done some kind of a custom sealing job on the spokes (which I've seen a couple times on the internet but wouldn't trust to hold air long term) to make every spoke hole in the rim airtight.
KTM has tubeless spoked wheels, as well. Looks like Ducati and Moto Guzzi have or had them, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is news to me. They're all BMW copies I assume? Spokes attached to the rim edge?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alpina-Raggi make tubeless spoked wheels as well. As for Ducati, the spoked wheels on Sportclassics are not tubeless.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The spokes on my WR250 are right in the middle of the wheel where they're supposed to be, yet I'm tubeless from the factory I believe.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SaNChEzZ posted:

The spokes on my WR250 are right in the middle of the wheel where they're supposed to be, yet I'm tubeless from the factory I believe.

What end are the adjustments on? On bike wheels you adjust the spoke tension at the rim, making it difficult to seal, but I know on some tubeless spoke setups they put the adjustments at the hub end. This way the rim end can be static and easier to seal.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

What end are the adjustments on? On bike wheels you adjust the spoke tension at the rim, making it difficult to seal, but I know on some tubeless spoke setups they put the adjustments at the hub end. This way the rim end can be static and easier to seal.

The nipples are on the rim side, those are the adjusters right?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nah, you're tubed if you're on stock rims.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Nah, you're tubed if you're on stock rims.

Interesting, food for thought i guess. The PO put on the Distanzias, figured they were tubeless. :confuoot:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Interesting, food for thought i guess. The PO put on the Distanzias, figured they were tubeless. :confuoot:

You can use tubes underneath a tubeless tire if the wheel requires it, but you shouldn't use a tubeless tire sans tubes.

Or something like that, it's been a long time since I've thought about tires.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Had my first serious crash today.

It started with a bad decision on my part. My girlfriend rides and I let her ride my CB599 and I rode her bike. She's a decent rider, will probably never crash because she's cautious. But she did something really silly today, she got off the right side of the bike because she was parked close on the left side. Well, the CB599 is sidestand is very short so the bike stands almost straight up. Of course it dropped.

This is where the bad decision on my part came. I decided to ride it home. The damage was minimal, broken mirror, some scratches, but the front brake lever was bent 180 degrees. The brakes worked fine in the parking lot so I thought I could just take it home.

I was going down the road at about 40mph and a car stopped short. No big deal, I was last in the group and I was way far behind because I didn't want to push the bike its damage. I applied rear brake to trim some speed, eased on the front brake but the scariest thing happened, the brake lever did not return.

It all happened in a split second but it feels like I made about five decisions in that time. I tried to push the lever back, it was stuck. I knew the brakes were going to lock. I wanted to lean back, but I knew I'd smash my face. I though about trying lay er down but the bike was straight up. I knew the bike was going over so I just leaned in on the bars to try not to have the bike land on me.

The bike went clear over, I didn't land on my head or my upper back. I landed on my lower left back, no spine. It hurt so bad. I thought I was going to be paralyzed. I didn't slide or anything, just landed straight down like dead weight, the bike slid a little bit. I rolled off the road, I was just laying there confused and dazed. I started wiggling toes and finger and writing on the ground.

All in all, I'm very lucky. I can barely walk or move but it's just from soreness. I took a really hard hit but nothing is broken. The bike is borderline totaled, not sure what the insurance company is going do.

I was wearing full gear of course, no damage to the gear really. In the end I can't blame the mechanical failure because I knew the front brake lever was in really bad shape from the drop and I shouldn't have rode the bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Glad you're ok - hope you get things sorted quickly.

If the front brake is damaged could you have just ridden like a harley rider? Rear brake and engine braking only? Or is your rear brake ultra poo poo?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Shimrod posted:

Glad you're ok - hope you get things sorted quickly.

If the front brake is damaged could you have just ridden like a harley rider? Rear brake and engine braking only? Or is your rear brake ultra poo poo?

I probably could have. Another bad decision on my part. I thought the lever was just deformed and that it was cosmetic only but I misjudged.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh well, lesson for everyone for if it happens to any of us.

Was your gf hurt when she dropped the bike? Or did it fall away from her?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Wow, glad you're ok! Your girlfriend must be going through some serious guilt issues right now. Try to find just the right balance of not making it worse than you have to, with also getting the apology BJs.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I find it odd that you endo-ed. Did you originally apply to much brake? If you applied the normal amount, wouldn't the bike be fine bringing itself to a stop since you couldn't release the front brake?

Sad to hear about you and your pretty bike going for a tumble.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ziploc posted:

I find it odd that you endo-ed. Did you originally apply to much brake? If you applied the normal amount, wouldn't the bike be fine bringing itself to a stop since you couldn't release the front brake?

Sad to hear about you and your pretty bike going for a tumble.

I may have but I don't think so. I've been riding most of my adult life and I've had to do emergency stops before in much tighter spaces at much higher speeds. But I'm not too sure what happened, I don't think I applied too much front brake. Who knows? I do realize that it was 100% preventable crash and it's all on me.

Shimrod posted:

Oh well, lesson for everyone for if it happens to any of us.

Was your gf hurt when she dropped the bike? Or did it fall away from her?

She's fine. Pride hurt more than anything. She got a little scrape on her leg.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Wow, glad you're ok! Your girlfriend must be going through some serious guilt issues right now. Try to find just the right balance of not making it worse than you have to, with also getting the apology BJs.

:lol: She's the queen of reverse guilt trips. And she takes full responsibility for dropping the bike but she (rightfully) doesn't acknowledge any part of my accident. Again, it was my fault because of bad decisions and possible (probable) rider error.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not me, but a local biker died the other night.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-near-Silverdale-147499095.html

quote:

SILVERDALE, Wash. - A Bremerton man was killed after he crashed his motorcycle on the highway early Sunday and then was run over by an SUV, the Washington State Patrol reported.

State troopers responded to the scene, on Highway 3 near the Kitsap Mall exit, at about 2:15 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report of a serious accident.

The motorcyclist, a 26-year-old Bremerton man, was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation found that he had been riding his motorcycle, a 2011 Harley-Davidson XL883N, south on Highway 3 when he lost control.

The motorcyclist went down in the roadway. Shortly afterward, a Ford Explorer heading south struck the motorcyclist as he lay on the highway.

The name of the motorcyclist was not released pending notification of his next of kin.

A few things pop into my mind after reading that. He was on a Harley, so there's the cliche thought of "brain bucket or full face?" Either way, sounds like a helmet might not have saved him in this instance.
I'm wondering if he was drinking, considering it was ~2am and he crashed on a straight part of the highway. That or just really fatigued.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

That sucks.

One thing that happened to me yesterday was that I rolled my self onto the grass because I was thinking I was going to get hit just laying in the road. All the first responders were running up and yelling don't move don't move but I just wanted off the road.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Pope Mobile posted:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-near-Silverdale-147499095.html

A few things pop into my mind after reading that. He was on a Harley, so there's the cliche thought of "brain bucket or full face?" Either way, sounds like a helmet might not have saved him in this instance.
I'm wondering if he was drinking, considering it was ~2am and he crashed on a straight part of the highway. That or just really fatigued.

That's really sad, right by where my girlfriend grew up. Close in age to us too :( Articles like this make me realize I have a giant bias built in that may or may not be entirely fair, but I ask the same questions every time I see something like this. I think it's because I wish I had the ability to tell my loved ones that riding a motorcycle is safer than they think because "man on motorcycle that was appropriate for his skill level crashes wearing appropriate gear, suffers minor injuries" isn't newsworthy. It's always "motorcyclist crashes, body explodes, organs and blood shower crowd of schoolchildren" and I just want to know things like "what gear was he wearing?", "was he under the influence?", etc. but I suppose it's fairly crass to report that kind of thing.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

drat. I guess it was bound to happen, since we had such great weather in the Puget Sound area this weekend. Probably the first time back out for a lot of riders. Still a loving shame, though. I do wonder if alcohol was involved.

Also: 26yo male, Bremerton, new Harley... possibly Navy? Don't they require training?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm going to assume he was Navy or employed at one of the bases. Most people around here are. In order to ride on base, you have to pass a certified MSF course (not to mention insure your bike). It does help a lot of people undertsand the importance of proper gear and safe riding, but there will always be the people who just do it because they have to.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

drat. I guess it was bound to happen, since we had such great weather in the Puget Sound area this weekend. Probably the first time back out for a lot of riders. Still a loving shame, though. I do wonder if alcohol was involved.

Also: 26yo male, Bremerton, new Harley... possibly Navy? Don't they require training?

Nothing special. MSF stuff and a power point.

If you have a sport bike you're required to go to the sport bike class and it's actually pretty good. There's an optional (and free) cruiser class that's very under utilized. I don't see why people don't take it because it's free and your command has to give you time off to take it during working hours. Two days off to ride motorcycles for free while getting paid? Hell yes!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yup, he was a sailor. No more info on the crash; it's still under investigation. They just say he lost control and fell off the bike.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm navy in Portland for the moment, and have already been lectured about this guy.

Also, our only requirements are licensed, MSF, insurance, DOT helmet (brain buckets are the most common), supposed to wear a reflective garment at night (reflective belt is enough, or even just piping on a jacket. I wear a construction vest, personally), long sleeve shirt (LS tee is fine), long pants and over the ankle boots.

Anything less, and insurance probably isn't going to pay out.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm navy in Portland for the moment, and have already been lectured about this guy.

Also, our only requirements are licensed, MSF, insurance, DOT helmet (brain buckets are the most common), supposed to wear a reflective garment at night (reflective belt is enough, or even just piping on a jacket. I wear a construction vest, personally), long sleeve shirt (LS tee is fine), long pants and over the ankle boots.

Anything less, and insurance probably isn't going to pay out.

You say "only" as if any other population has stricter rules

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You say "only" as if any other population has stricter rules

The Air Force has stricter requirements. DOT approved helmets, steel-toed boots, and specifications on how much reflective material must be shown, which must be worn at all times. If you're wearing a backpack, that must have reflective material on it, for example, or you won't be showing enough on the back. Many bases also require you to carry your MSF card, and show it with your ID at the gate, along with your license proving you have a motorcycle endorsement.

It's mostly because the Air Force has more motorcycle-related incidents than the Navy.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I just think it's great that the military requires safety gear well beyond the legal minimum and actual training. Especially the training.

Have the various forces seen drops in motorcycle injuries/deaths since implementing these? How long have they been in place?

... and how many people just ignore them and keep their bikes off-base?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I just think it's great that the military requires safety gear well beyond the legal minimum and actual training. Especially the training.

Have the various forces seen drops in motorcycle injuries/deaths since implementing these? How long have they been in place?

... and how many people just ignore them and keep their bikes off-base?

As do I. But I really think mandating actual gear or at the least full face helmets should be mandatory.

There's been a giant drop in deaths and injuries, and I know the policies have been in place for at least four years in the navy. They offer the MSF for free, or you can take it out in town and they reimburse you.

And quite a few do just ride off base in whatever they want to. But it's incredibly stupid to do so. Like, NJP and paying out of pocket for injuries stupid.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

himajinga posted:

That's really sad, right by where my girlfriend grew up. Close in age to us too :( Articles like this make me realize I have a giant bias built in that may or may not be entirely fair, but I ask the same questions every time I see something like this. I think it's because I wish I had the ability to tell my loved ones that riding a motorcycle is safer than they think because "man on motorcycle that was appropriate for his skill level crashes wearing appropriate gear, suffers minor injuries" isn't newsworthy. It's always "motorcyclist crashes, body explodes, organs and blood shower crowd of schoolchildren" and I just want to know things like "what gear was he wearing?", "was he under the influence?", etc. but I suppose it's fairly crass to report that kind of thing.

I don't think that's unfair. I hate it when I get to work and everyone's buzzing about the latest traffic fatality (El Paso had a bunch of fatal accidents over the winter), and lecturing me about how dangerous my bike is or my car is. I ask those exact same questions to the newshounds, and they never can answer. Doesn't even register as important to them.

Also front wing flexing I'm very glad you're mostly okay. Sorry about the bike.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Yep.... I joined the club today. I recently (A few months ago) i bought a Suzuki GSXR 600 for my FIRST ever motorcycle. Now i realize this was kinda way outta my ballpark as an rider with zero experience, but my roommate who has been riding for years assured me that if i went with something too small, i would need to upgrade fast and better to start with a more powerful bike and learn it SLOWLY. So i took his advice and was drat careful on it for the first 2 months, never taking it on the highway, only riding on roads when i knew they wouldn't be crowded and only on nice smooth tarmac. Eventually i moved up to the highway and got more confident and sure enough today is the day when my brain leaves my hand for 5 seconds and i pop the clutch! Thing sped the hell off and i laid it down on top of my leg. Luckily no damage to the bike other than some paint nicks, and no damage to me other than a big leg bruise and some wounded pride (thank you gear).

My experience for the newbies in the room: DO wear your loving gear!! i was going all of a mile away from my apartment when this happened and its hot as dick out today, wear it anyway.

DO NOT zone out while riding a sport bike. If you make a stupid mistake because your day dreaming you can get badly hurt.

Ill post pictures after i take some if anyone's interested, but just thought id share my first ever wreck story.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Way too late for it, but you could've just bought something like a Ninja 250 and resold it for almost what you bought it for.

Glad to hear you're okay, though.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Your roommate is an idiot.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

Way too late for it, but you could've just bought something like a Ninja 250 and resold it for almost what you bought it for.

Glad to hear you're okay, though.

I've known people with big bikes sitting in the garage while they cut their teeth on a small bike. Never too late!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's more a textbook lesson in why no one should start on a 600.

Glad you're okay, but your roommate is seriously an idiot.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah dude, I let a 600 ride me around for years before I learned how to ride on a 250.

The reason you have to sell it to upgrade is because you've learned how to ride. You skipped that part and just got the big bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Everyone here is right, see my lovely title? I went with a bike that was bigger than I could handle and I had been riding for many years. Against advice here I got my "dream" bike and it beat me senseless when I disrespected it. I had more fun on my 200cc Honda than I did on my R1. I stepped up to a DRZ recently and at some point I want either a weestrom 1200, a tiger or a BMW GSA. Do it right and you'll have far more fun in a much safer fashion.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Right, so this thread has inspired me to go buy better gear than my lovely mesh jacket, jeans, and a full face. I've been riding for 3 years now on Cafe bikes (77 CB550 and a 78 750 w/an 836 kit and head work). I feel afraid to get on my KLR now.

Thanks guys! :(

Also, I'm putting crash bars on my poo poo.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Get an aftermarket IMS tank on the KLR, it'll protect your stuff better than crashbars. Just don't hook up the radiator tabs.

(Information accurate for < 2008 models.)

Edit: One of us, one of us!

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 18, 2012

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MotoMind posted:

(Information accurate for < 2008 models.)

People actually buy the >2008 models?

Yes, my KLR is painted with rubber sealant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Another stupid brake related wreck: A couple of weeks ago I was swapping dirt wheels onto the DRZ (yay spring!) when I noticed my rear brake pads were down to the metal. So while I waited for replacements to arrive, I just pressed them back away from the rotor surface and vowed to ride even more cautiously than usual and not use the rear brake if I could avoid it for a few days.

Smash cut to two days later when I decide that it would be a good time to tear around in a paved area behind my work like a dong and attack some stairs and ride super aggressively to blow off some work related steam before heading for home.

What got me was riding hard towards a wall waiting until the last possible moment to brake hard and swerve off towards another imaginary obstacle. When it came time to brake for the "corner" my foot went all the way to the bottom of the lever's travel without resistance. There was no weight transfer, and yet by reflex I squeezed in the same amount of front brake I would have normally pulled and therefore locked up the front.

I relaxed the front brake enough to stop the slide but of course was then way too close to the wall. I then tried to turn away from the wall while still hard on the front brake. Highsided at that point. Bike flipped over and started to slide while I came down next to it landing on my hands and knees and rolled. Bike wound up inches from the wall, undamaged expect for some new rash here and there. My kneecaps and wrists were sore for a couple of days but that was the extent of it. I didn't even know it was possible to bruise your kneecaps like that.

Positives: I was wearing all my gear (as always). I'm a giant pussy and I ride like a grandmother was probably not doing over 15mph for any of the above shenanigans.

Negatives: Despite the numerous mistakes and examples of poor judgement outlined above, I promise I have learned no lessons from this crash. I will continue to be an idiot on my DRZ when not on the street.

• Locked thread