Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
I watched a lot of tv and saw the old horror movies whenever they came on. Sometimes it would be stuff like Nightmare on Elm Street and sometimes older stuff like The Creature From the Black Lagoon would come on. I also snuck into a lot of movies. I saw House of 1,000 corpses, Freddy v. Jason, and Hostel that way. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Rhyno posted:

As I haven't seen it in 6 or 7 years, I'm going to watch Ghosts of Mars on Netflix tonight. 10 minutes in and it's every bit as awesomely bad as I remember.

I feel like there has to be an interesting story behind Ghosts of Mars. It's John Carpenter making a movie with all the production values of a Star Wars fan film. How did that happen? The only 2 scenes I can clearly remember are:

1. A woman lazily dodging flying CD projectiles (Think arcade game Revolution-X), until the 4th or 5th one lands and cuts her head off in 1 blow. This scene is presented with all the energy and tension of a live filming of a middle school dodgeball match.

2. A different woman randomly gets blown away on a hot air balloon (on Mars) then most of the way through the movies gets randomly blown back into the plot. Also the villain looks exactly like Marylin Manson. I haven't seen it since release so what memories linger are all vague and nightmarish in my mind

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They're remaking Suspiria with David Gordon Green at the helm. Unnecessary but it shouldn't be a complete trainwreck.

quote:

The Dario Argento 1977 horror thriller Suspiria has been set for a remake that will be directed by Pineapple Express helmer David Gordon Green from a script he wrote with Chris Gebert. The search is on for Suzie, the young protagonist who travels to Europe to attend a world renowned school. After a series of brutal murders, the young American student learns that the academy is a front for something way more sinister than education. The original had a surreal, psychedelic tone that involved the supernatural, witches and a whole lotta blood.

The remake is backed by Crime Scene Pictures, whose partners Adam Ripp and Rob Paris are joining forces with producers Francesco Melzi d’Eril (Hotel Rwanda) from Memo Films and Luca Guadagnino (I Am Love) under his First Sun film banner to produce and finance the remake. Rizal Risjad, Silvia Fendi and Philip Elway will executive produce and Lisa Muskat will co-produce. Wild Bunchwill sell foreign at Cannes in May and CAA will make the domestic distribution deal. Production begins in September.

“We love the style and energy of the original film – and David’s script brilliantly updates the world, presenting a rare opportunity to create an elegant, classic horror film,” Crime Scene partners Ripp and Paris said in a statement.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/david-gordon-green-directed-redo-of-suspiria-set-up-by-crime-scene-pictures/

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The first horror movie I saw in theaters was Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight.

What an awesome movie. This is cemented in my mind as one of the best horror movie scenes (God bless Billy Zane's insanity.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkkjAPAzqBw

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Ghosts of Mars is really bad.

And Prince of Darkness is just plain meh.

I would almost call The Thing the fluke, but then I remembered Vampires and since I have a hardon for James Woods I can't dislike that one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NarkyBark posted:

Ghosts of Mars is really bad.

And Prince of Darkness is just plain meh.

I would almost call The Thing the fluke, but then I remembered Vampires and since I have a hardon for James Woods I can't dislike that one.

You know he also made Halloween, Escape from New York and Assault on Precinct 13, right?

But yeah, Carpenter fell off real hard. Wes Craven hard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sporadic posted:

They're remaking Suspiria with David Gordon Green at the helm. Unnecessary but it shouldn't be a complete trainwreck.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/david-gordon-green-directed-redo-of-suspiria-set-up-by-crime-scene-pictures/

This has been rumored for like 3 or 4 years now and I'm not kidding when I say it's my most anticipated film. I think what sold me is DGG saying he's going to make Suspiria "more artistic", which is like saying you're going to remake 2001 and remove the plot.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Susperia is totally of its time. There is no way you could remake it in any meaningful way, so it's just going to be a horror movie set in a ballet school.

I can't get worked up about a remake because I can't even picture a remake. It could turn out well but if it's not Argento, it's not Susperia anyway so it'll just be some other good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

frozenpeas posted:

Susperia is totally of its time.

What, in particular, is "of its time" about Suspiria? The fact that the giallo was in full bloom?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What, in particular, is "of its time" about Suspiria? The fact that the giallo was in full bloom?

Because they didn't have cellphones, duh!

In seriousness though, I wouldn't mind a Suspiria remake by this director. Good stuff so from him so far. It'd be nice if they let him make an original horror movie, but I like Suspiria enough to see another take on it.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The music, the sickly, bloomy haze that everthing is shot in, the ambient story telling, the dream-like visuals, the saturated colours that make the blood from the still-beating heart look like bright read paint in that brutal, unusual first kill.

Even if you remade it now in the same way you'd just be recreating the period, which, while charming, would fundamentally change the concept. The original is both timeless, in the sense that it transcends the time in which it was made, and of it's time in the sense that it uses recognisable flourishes from Giallos and other 70s cinema. Susperia, for me, is about being lost or suspended in another state. I don't think you can do that, as this does without acknowledging and abstracting the present (in this case the 70s). Basically, Black Swan is all the remake of Susperia we need.

If, as I suspect they will, they turn it into a more conventional horror movie, then it will just be some other movie sharing a title.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 11, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fair points.

frozenpeas posted:

Basically, Black Swan is all the remake of Susperia we need.

Noooo - not only is Black Swan a rigorously "logical" movie, Suspiria isn't even slightly about ballet. I think DGG has it in him to make something dreamlike and "gauzy". The last thing I'd want is something completely coherent, I love the visual free-association of Suspiria.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Carpenter didn't fall off, some day people will realize how awesome Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and Escape from LA truly are. At least I still have Ebert agreeing with me.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
A Suspiria "remake" doesn't bother me because I assume they'll just be taking the bare essentials and making a totally different movie, not trying to recreate everything Argento did shot-for-shot. Remakes don't bother me much to begin with, though.

e: If you're in NYC you can go see Suspiria and some other Argento movies this month at the Museum of Arts and Design. I am going to see Deep Red and Tenebrae :toot: http://madmuseum.org/series/argento-il-cinema-nel-sangue

leokitty fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 11, 2012

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You know, I did forget about Halloween... and I also forgot about They Live. For shame.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NarkyBark posted:

You know, I did forget about Halloween... and I also forgot about They Live. For shame.

Yeah, for some reason I don't even think of horror movies when I think of Carpenter; I think of Big Trouble and the Escapes. (Possible band name?)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Carpenter didn't fall off, some day people will realize how awesome Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and Escape from LA truly are. At least I still have Ebert agreeing with me.
The ending to Escape From L.A. just about makes up for all it's prior transgressions. Plus, y'know, Bangok rules. :drat:

Yeah, Carpenter fell away in the end but it's hard to think of any directors who didn't, and most didn't produce the goods as often as he did so he will always get a pass in my book.

Hard to believe the guy who did the likes of Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Big Trouble In Little China, Assault On Precinct 13, Escape From New York, They Live et al also did something as charming as Starman or Elvis: The Movie, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Vampires is one of those movies that is okay if you turn your brain off, but once you start giving it the least bit of thought it falls apart.

A movie that I expected to be awful but loved was Return of the Living Dead, Part 3. The first is a classic, the second is an absolutely awful rehash, but the third abandons the zombie apocalypse setting to show us a women who's been zombified and is trying desperately to maintain her humanity. I went into it expecting more of the same and got a surprisingly good bit of body/mind horror.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Horror movie night tomorrow, any suggestions of something I may have missed? I kinda feel like I've already seen every movie that will actually scare me :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Horror movie night tomorrow, any suggestions of something I may have missed? I kinda feel like I've already seen every movie that will actually scare me :(
You're going to have to be more specific -- what have you seen, what do you like, does it have to be Netflix streaming, etc.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You're going to have to be more specific -- what have you seen, what do you like, does it have to be Netflix streaming, etc.

I was going to try and be more exact then realised the list of things I have seen would take months. Most of the people I do movie night with are big fans of the POV home-movie style stuff but we've pretty much seen every single one of those that isn't one of those awful youtube ones.

Doesn't have to be streaming, but that'd be a big plus. Personally I'm a fan of stuff with a really tense, scary atmosphere.

I just read about Absentia, is that any good? Looks like my kind of thing from the trailer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you haven't seen Session 9, it's not BOO SCARY, but it's definitely one of the creepiest and most atmospheric things I've seen. First time I saw it was alone, at night, in a big house I was housesitting. Long night.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pope Guilty posted:

If you haven't seen Session 9, it's not BOO SCARY, but it's definitely one of the creepiest and most atmospheric things I've seen. First time I saw it was alone, at night, in a big house I was housesitting. Long night.

Or you can be like me, and think it's terrible and utterly forgettable.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just read about Absentia, is that any good? Looks like my kind of thing from the trailer.

I literally just finished watching Absentia. My reaction?

Meh.

It was slow, boring, and not a lot happened. Interesting premise, terrible execution. Not so much a horror film as a lifetime channel original with a spattering of the supernatural thrown in.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

I literally just finished watching Absentia. My reaction?

Meh.

It was slow, boring, and not a lot happened. Interesting premise, terrible execution. Not so much a horror film as a lifetime channel original with a spattering of the supernatural thrown in.

Ouch. That's kinda killed any enthusiasm I had for it.

I've actually seen Session 9, and didn't think a lot of it. I'm trying to find something for a few people though so that's one on the list. Other things I was looking at; Seventh Moon, The Corridor edit Nevermind that hoo boy does that look bad.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 11, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

... big fans of the POV home-movie style stuff but we've pretty much seen every single one of those that isn't one of those awful youtube ones.

Do you have any recommendations for this kind of movie? Found footage and mockumentary is the theme of my next Horror Night, and I need some stuff to watch.

So far all I have is: Noroi, Blair Witch, and maybe Paranormal Activity.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Do you have any recommendations for this kind of movie? Found footage and mockumentary is the theme of my next Horror Night, and I need some stuff to watch.

Grave Encounters
Rec
Tunnel Movie
Home Movies
Lake Mungo

Those are my faves. There's a good few of them out there but not too many really stand out amazing ones. Lotta folks didn't like Lake Mungo but I thought it was pretty aces. Rec is a safe bet either way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

mikeycp posted:

If your friends are okay with reading subtitles, get [REC]. If not, find new friends, and then get [REC].

Or you could get Quarantine, which is the crappy English remake of [REC] that ruins the last scene and just plain isn't as good.

The Last Exorcism is really good. Troll Hunter is good but isn't really horror.

There's some movie called June 17th or something to that effect, about a group of teenagers who harass the hicks in a nearby town, but it's so lovely I can't even remember the proper name.

e: June 9. Godawful.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 12, 2012

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mikeycp posted:

The list Moses made is good, but I would include The Poughkeepsie Tapes. It's a mockumentary based on found tapes of a serial killer. The storytelling is similar to those a&e/bio/I.d. Channel shows about a murder.
Edit: The mockumentary term makes this sound more lighthearted in my head, and just so you know it's a serious movie.
Edit 2: I may be wrong apparently.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 12, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Poughkeepsie Tapes is not serious in any way. It's one of the silliest, most overdone docudramas you'll ever see.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Grave Encounters
Rec
Tunnel Movie
Home Movies
Lake Mungo

Those are my faves. There's a good few of them out there but not too many really stand out amazing ones. Lotta folks didn't like Lake Mungo but I thought it was pretty aces. Rec is a safe bet either way.
I thought Grave Encounters was pretty bad - all the scary scenes were made a whole lot less scary with all the characters shouting "WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?!?!?" and flipping the hell out every time something weird happened.
Which is a shame because it could have been really goddamn scary. The setting was perfect.

Also I actually liked Quarantine more than REC. The main reporter character seemed like a much bigger idiot in REC than in Quarantine.
Then again I did see Quarantine first so that might be coloring my opinion.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I thought Grave Encounters was pretty bad - all the scary scenes were made a whole lot less scary with all the characters shouting "WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?!?!?" and flipping the hell out every time something weird happened.
Which is a shame because it could have been really goddamn scary. The setting was perfect.

Also I actually liked Quarantine more than REC. The main reporter character seemed like a much bigger idiot in REC than in Quarantine.
Then again I did see Quarantine first so that might be coloring my opinion.

Yeah GE has some problems. But the setting for me more than made up for it for me. Huge fan of the House of Leaves so could have helped.

Liking Quarantine more than REC is just mathematically incorrect though :colbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Liking Quarantine more than REC is just mathematically incorrect though :colbert:

Quarantine owns, sorry. It's actually probably my favorite found-footage horror film, up there with Blair Witch and Apollo 18.

I always point this out, but REC is an entirely different film anyways. It and REC 2 are totally great, but Quarantine is smarter, more ambitious, and flawless in its execution.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Quarantine lost a good couple of points from me with the main character. Angela in the remake seems to loose her cool at the drop of a hat, and that really dimminished the impact of the ending a good bit for me. Also, there was a couple of little things that kinda took me out of it, like the camera being erratic even when there wasn't any reason to.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quarantine owns, sorry. It's actually probably my favorite found-footage horror film, up there with Blair Witch and Apollo 18.

I always point this out, but REC is an entirely different film anyways. It and REC 2 are totally great, but Quarantine is smarter, more ambitious, and flawless in its execution.

Can you get into the whys of that? I've always much much preferred REC but when SMG says something at the very least there's an interesting read behind it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My friends and I all want to see "Cabin in the Woods..."

...but one friend is out of town this weekend for Orthodox Easter, and my girlfriend is up in Maryland until Sunday afternoon, and she wants to go see "Lockout" as a matinee and save "Cabin" for next weekend when we all can see it.

I heard, however, that it's much better to see the movie in a crowded theater to feed off the crowd reaction (ala "Paranormal Activity" or "Send Me To Hell," and I saw "28 Days Later" at a crowded sneak preview that made it incredible).

I have a free movie pass to AMC...should I see "Cabin" this weekend while the theater is packed and not risk the twist/third act spoiled? Or is it something I really can blow off and see next weekend with a group of friends in a less crowded theater?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
It's entirely possible that the theater next weekend will be just as crowded once word gets out.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Apollo 18? The movie with the killer moon rocks???

Can I ask why?

Also I enjoy your posts so analyze or over-analyze away :)

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is not serious in any way. It's one of the silliest, most overdone docudramas you'll ever see.

An edit of The Poughkeepsie Tapes that edits out all of the docudrama inserts would be a much better, really disturbing movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Craig Spradlin posted:

An edit of The Poughkeepsie Tapes that edits out all of the docudrama inserts would be a much better, really disturbing movie.

I think the teaser trailer for it is pretty much the creepiest part of it all.