Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't play any of these games actively right now, but I had this idea for a Salamander character inspired by a long-ago White Dwarf issue Chapter Approved for the Salamanders that pointed out (correctly in my view) that traditional assault marine tactics didn't jibe at all with their style or even work very well on a world known for its wildly fluctuating gravity.

So in the chapter-approved, a lot of the assault marines ended up fighting with thunder hammers and/or flamers and meltas, and no jump packs at all, working more closely with the tactical squads than normal. So naturally this got me thinking about an assault marine character from the Salamanders who would not, in fact, have a jump pack or a chain sword.

Then I saw the Salamander rules in First Founding which are, in my opinion, insulting. Okay, I know, everyone has their favorites and the Sallies are my favorite First Founding dudes, but they got the shaft really drat hard in the First Founding book. If I recall they had one (1) melee weapon which was basically a snazzy chainsword, one ranged weapon which was basically a heavy flamer but worse, and the one super-iconic wargear they had to have, the Salamander's Mantle, ended up with a "counts as" rule.

The extra tech use and toughness stats are really appreciated, I won't fault anything there, but the chapter... trait, I think it was called? was Resist Heat. I think if you level up enough you get to be actually resistant to fire damage. Okay, but that's 1: boring and 2: makes no drat sense. How often is Resist Heat going to come up in a game compared to an interesting trait? How do Salamanders get fireproof skin? Couldn't they have had some kind of bonus to using flame weapons or something, something that made sense and could be flavorful? Oh, and their Primarch's Curse gives them worse cohesion penalties than the Iron Hands'. Salamanders - worse than the Iron Hands at working with allies.

But this next thing is just great; it really sets the tone for the Salamanders treatment through the whole book. In the included scenario, the Killteam lands on a volcanic world in constant tectonic flux, with massive volcanic eruptions and earthquakes all over the drat place. To recognize that one First Founding chapter hails from exactly this kind of planet, the book gives a +10 bonus to navigation test to... Space Wolf characters.

I know there are people who work at FFG in some capacity in the thread and I have to say from what I've seen the company has done a great job with all these titles. I have to admit I don't even own this title that I'm complaining about, but, but the Salamanders... Three pieces of wargear. The other chapters have how many? Heat resist is ever going to get used? The volcano planet gives a bonus to Space Wolves?

But what I was really, really hoping to see in there was what I mentioned at the beginning of this post, now rant. Some alternative assault squad rules.

So for people who actually have gotten to play this game and have some experience: how hard would it be to get a Salamander assault marine character a thunder hammer and/or storm shield as standard issue?

And if you think that's not ambitious enough, how about that storm shield being made out of a big shieldlike salamander skull? These Deathwatch guys are supposed to be badasses already, and Salamanders kill like three salamanders before breakfast on a normal day already, so I'm thinking this guy took an especially impressive specimen back to his forge, dipped its skull in adamantium, and then built a storm shield field emitter into the underside/brain cavity. You have to admit, building wargear out of dragon skulls is kind of what the Salamanders live for.

So if you're still thinking, "okay, that's not really overpowered or unrealistic in Deathwatch" how about we stick a flamer through the skull's nasal passages so the nozzle sits just inside one nostril hole, and the pilot burns in the other, and then connect the whole drat thing to a backpack tank through the foramen magnum. I guess in the rules you'd call that an arm-mounted flamer that is also a storm shield, depending on how you want to use it that turn.

So now you're looking at an assault marine who doesn't have any of his normal assault marine wargear, and instead has a thunder hammer in one hand, and a flamer/storm shield in the other hand, and probably a bolt pistol, and a Salamander's Mantle of course. I mean just duh. I don't think they even let you into Salamander meetings unless you're wearing pieces of at least three different native reptiloids.

Oh and he probably would need like, an entirely new advance scheme, because he sure as hell isn't touching all those dual wielding attack skills or anything that mentions rending damage.

So GMs, how game-shattering is this guy, and how much XP would you have to spend to convince someone to let him take that poo poo? I think it's pretty fluffy but I can see it being somewhat unorthodox. Crush my dream. Or don't.

There is no tl;dr. The post is not coherent enough for that.

Thunder Hammer from step one: yeah no. Storm Shield from step one: yeah no. That's pretty high-level wargear right there.

Could see Salamanders Assault Marines swapping out the jetpack for a free Combat Shield though. And the adamantium-dipped storm-shield-that's-also-a-drake-skull-with-built-in-flamer is Samalander-y enough that I'm kinda shocked it didn't make it in as one of the relics.

Oh yeah to be fair the Salamanders did get a pretty nice piece of wargear in Rites of Battle, it just wasn't explicitly theirs. The Triflame Vambrace is a wrist-mounted heavy flamer that can also be set to meltagun. It's about as salamander-y as things can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah part of the question is like "where is step one for this guy? step four?"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So house-rule it, goddamn. Negotiating different starting bonuses with the GM is the easiest thing. Though, asking for a storm hammer/storm shield as starting wargear is kind of ridiculous, much less making an item that was a combination flamer/storm shield. That's something you'd probably only find in a Chapter Master's armory.

Also, Salamanders do suck at working with space marine allies. They have a completely different philosophy towards war than virtually any other chapter. The Iron Hands at least have successor chapters who they'd get along with.

e: I'm also not that familiar with Deathwatch but did you look at the other chapter's bonuses? Some minor item upgrades and a small stat boost in one or two places is pretty standard for classes in 40k rpg's.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 12, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Arglebargle III posted:

:flame:

I can't really speak for the alternative rules, but I was under the impression that Salamander's seem pretty good. The attribute bonuses are nice, and while Resist (Heat) is weird reading through the other chapters it doesn't look like most of them get a free talent like that. And the Salamander's solo mode ability is pretty good as well.

EDIT: Probably the only thing that really bugs me is that they don't have Trade (Armourer), which seems like a no brainer.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 12, 2012

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

You could always allow them to requisition a re-skinned sacris claymore and combat shield in place of jump pack. That doesn't seem too bad.

I think I'm going to have to use the Black Crusade fire mode rules though. Our Devestator is just too powerful as things stand.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys think that it would be too much to let Salamanders have the option of dropping Resist (Heat) for 300 XP if they then use that XP to get Trade (Armourer)?

Also does anyone know what the Mk 6 "improved bio monitor" from Rites of Battle refers to? This is the history option where part of your power armor is replaced by a Corvus helm, which supposedly includes some kind of bio monitor improvement. I've been assuming it actually refers to the improved auto senses.

Finally that Triflame Vambrace looks pretty awesome. What's the benefit of going into burst mode though? I didn't see any rules about what that does. Narrow mode gives you that -20 to dodge and wide mode hits more hordes, but burst mode didn't seem to specify anything.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only reference to a Corvus Helmet I can find is page 155 when they tell you using one with a certain set of armour doesn't work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Riso posted:

The only reference to a Corvus Helmet I can find is page 155 when they tell you using one with a certain set of armour doesn't work.

It's in the Mk6 Elements history option in the "Skill of the Artificer" power armor history table.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We had a bit of an impromptu brain storming regarding Deathwatch Blood Ravens in #acolyte.
So I hereby I present the preliminary findings in terrible formatting:

demeanour "Gifted": "But you just picked it up about two hours ago when we killed that Daemon Prince." "Yes, we are blessed that the Emperor has returned it to our Chapter."

Geneseed Deficiency:
catalepsian node damaged: no REM sleep, but eidetic memory
no betchers gland
Disturbing Voice

chapter flaw: we stand alone (distrusted by others)
chapter characteristics: +5 PER, +5 INT

figure of legend: Azariah Vidya - Great Father of the Chapter, Chief Librarian, saved the chapter, became chapter master

homeworld: fleet-based, battle barge litany of fury

divergent codex organisation: lots of librarians, they also serve as unit commanders
combat doctrine: drop pod
squad mode defensive: knowledge is power

belief: THE EMPEROR ABOVE ALL

special equipment: YES

chapter status: understrength
chapter friends: adeptus mechanicus
chapter enemies: tyranids (nothing to steal)

Battle Cry: "Knowledge is power, guard it well."

relics/chapter trappings: "choose from any chapter, but you must explain how it came into your possession"

chapter advances posted:

SKILLS
Lore Forbidden (any) 200
Lore Forbidden (any)+10 200
Lore Forbidden (any)+20 200

Lore: Scholastic (any) 100
Lore: Scholastic (any)+10 100
Lore: Scholastic (any)+20 100

sleight of hand 100
sleight of hand +10 100
sleight of hand +20 100

deceive 100
deceive +10 100
deceive +20 100

TALENTS
Infused Knowledge 900
Foresight 500
Hatred (Chaos Space Marines) 500
slayer of daemons 1000
strong minded 1400
hammer blow 400

Thanks to the official DW FFG forums we also have this:

Primarch's Curse posted:

Level I: Need to Know The Blood Raven develops a desire to collect and possess knowledge. He must pass a Challenging (+0) Willpower Test in order to forgo the chance to learn something new. If this knowledge is obviously corrupting or dangerous, or his hesitation would put his fellow Astartes in danger, the Willpower Test becomes Routine (+20).

Level II: Knowledge Is Power This is identical to the Level I Curse except that corrupting or dangerous knowledge never makes the Willpower never becomes Routine.

Level III Dark Secret The Blood Raven's quest for knowledge has led him to a secret so terrible it would shake the very foundations of the Imperium. The nature of the blasphemous secret is left to the GM to decide. Outrageous and horrible fates await the character should anyone discover what he knows.

Blood Ravens Past Events - Roll a 1d5 and consult below. posted:

1. The Purging of Cyrene - You were part of the Company that accompanied Captain Gabriel Angelos to Cyrene for the Blood Trials. But something occurred on the planet that lead to the Inquisition declaring Exterminatus upon the world, leaving it a blasted world devoid of life. What lead to the Exterminatus has been classified to the highest degree, and you have sworn never to reveal what transpired.

2. The Fall of Tartarus - You fought on the world of Tartarus under the command of Captain Gabriel Angelos against Orks, Eldar of the Biel-Tan Craftworld and Chaos Space Marines of the Alpha Legion. Though Tartarus was lost to a warp storm, you managed to escape with Gabriel Angelos along with many of your Blood Raven brothers.

3. The Kronus Campaign - You fought on the world of Kronus under the command of Captain Davian Thule against a multitude of foes, including Orks, Eldar, Tau, Necrons, Chaos and even the Imperial Guard loyal to the Imperium (though that incident has been covered up from the rest of the galaxy). Under Davian Thule's command, you and your brothers managed to seize victory and crushed all opposition, claiming Kronus for the Imperium.

4. The Kaurava Campaign - You fought in the system of Kaurava under the command of Captain Indrick Boreale against a multitude of foes, including Orks, Eldar, Tau, Necrons, Chaos, Dark Eldar and even the Sisters of Battle and the Imperial Guard (though those incidents have been covered up from the rest of the galaxy). Though the campaign was a dismal failure that cost the lives of many Blood Ravens, including Captain Boreale himself, you were among the few who managed to survive and return to the Chapter.

5. The Aurelian Campaign - You fought in the sub-sector Aurelia under the command of Force Commander Aramus against the forces of Orks, Eldar of the Ulthwe Craftworld and a splinter fleet of Tyranids that was once part of Hive Fleet Behemoth. Though the Blood Ravens were few and your enemies many, you managed drive back the forces of Orks and Eldar and destroyed the Tyranid Hive Fleet with the aid of Captain Gabriel Angelos at the final moments.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
How do Blood Ravens have a disturbing voice? Doesn't seem more disturbing than any other typical Astartes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

InfiniteJesters posted:

How do Blood Ravens have a disturbing voice? Doesn't seem more disturbing than any other typical Astartes.

SPESS MEHRENS

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Riso posted:

chapter status: understrength
chapter friends: adeptus mechanicus
chapter enemies: tyranids (nothing to steal)
To be a bit more canon, they seem to have a rivalry with the Black Legion (at least in Retribution). If you're running it pre-Retribution they've also got some sort of ties to the Alpha Legion, indirectly.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

SPESS MEHRENS

Okay, you win. That's terrifying. :gonk:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Apparently you guys have never heard the voice of Boreale, and noticed the mysterious voice changes in other members between games!

quote:

To be a bit more canon, they seem to have a rivalry with the Black Legion (at least in Retribution). If you're running it pre-Retribution they've also got some sort of ties to the Alpha Legion, indirectly.

Nothing is worse than an enemy you can't nick equipment from.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Riso posted:

Nothing is worse than an enemy you can't nick equipment from.

Such a foe leaves the Blud Rehvens with only one course of action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4om7AuID6BY

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also does anyone know what the Mk 6 "improved bio monitor" from Rites of Battle refers to? This is the history option where part of your power armor is replaced by a Corvus helm, which supposedly includes some kind of bio monitor improvement. I've been assuming it actually refers to the improved auto senses.

Space Marine helmets have autosenses built into them, granting a +10 to certain Awareness skill tests. Mk6 Corvus helms, however, have better sensors to detect biological lifesigns, and instead grant +15 to Awareness skill tests. It is in a table in Rite of Battle that lists all the armor, Mk1 through Mk8 and shows what they all do in line. You are correct in assuming it refers to the improved senses.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Riso posted:

5. The Aurelian Campaign - You fought in the sub-sector Aurelia under the command of Force Commander Aramus...

Is that his name then? That's... forgettable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently Only War is being premiered on Free RPG Day; too bad nobody in Malaysia is taking part :( I want to play a Catachan too!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Looking at the cover for that adventure I'd like to say holy gently caress that's a bigass knife.

At any rate I know what I'm doing June 16th! :dance:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

InfiniteJesters posted:

Looking at the cover for that adventure I'd like to say holy gently caress that's a bigass knife.

At any rate I know what I'm doing June 16th! :dance:

Well duh. On Catachan even the foliage has AP4 and tries to kill you.

I really hope there are stats for the Catachan Devil in Only War :allears:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
On the note of Catachans, as I mentioned above I'm seriously considering making a minicampaign for Only War that's a weird mashup of 40k and Contra.

Would you guys say that one level = one session, for the purposes of pacing?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think my next session is going to involve the Kill Team making a run at the Ork HQ with the their Astartes allies under the cover of a large sandstorm sweeping towards it.

I could just imagine the scene of the storm falling over the Orks. Then suddenly Space Marines appear within meters of them with no warning.

That sound any kind of cool to you guys?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheKingslayer posted:

I think my next session is going to involve the Kill Team making a run at the Ork HQ with the their Astartes allies under the cover of a large sandstorm sweeping towards it.

I could just imagine the scene of the storm falling over the Orks. Then suddenly Space Marines appear within meters of them with no warning.

That sound any kind of cool to you guys?

A dust storm ? Oh hell yes, you'll end up with a lot of very surprised, very dead orks. But it'll work both ways, even with auspex in the armor.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's what I'm hoping for. Lots of chaos and :black101: until the Warboss comes stomping right into the Kill Team.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

That's what I'm hoping for. Lots of chaos and :black101: until the Warboss comes stomping right into the Kill Team.

Have the Astartes start getting picked off by a mob of Kommando Nobs in the dust storm. Should be really eerie for the players when even space marines are disappearing into the dust. This is also a good excuse to have the party get separated from the marines when a Nob appears in front of them that they have to fight, since actually fighting alongside space marines can make combat kind of dumb. Then after the they kill it the marines reappear through the dust storm, wounded but victorious and covered in ork blood.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Riso posted:

Blood Ravens.

What? Not even one instance Signature Wargear in their advance table? For shame. :colbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Neo_Crimson posted:

What? Not even one instance Signature Wargear in their advance table? For shame. :colbert:

It's a general advance at rank 1 :ssh:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Have the Astartes start getting picked off by a mob of Kommando Nobs in the dust storm. Should be really eerie for the players when even space marines are disappearing into the dust. This is also a good excuse to have the party get separated from the marines when a Nob appears in front of them that they have to fight, since actually fighting alongside space marines can make combat kind of dumb. Then after the they kill it the marines reappear through the dust storm, wounded but victorious and covered in ork blood.

The players are the space marines.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've not played Deathwatch - how much of a challenge are killer kans and dreadnoughts to space marines?

If you wanted a fight that's a bit different from FRONTAL ASSAULT!, have the marines fight a dreadmob in the sandstorm. It should be dead easy for your players to detect them before they detect your players (autosenses vs ork in a can), and they can split them off from the pack one by one and deal with them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Riso posted:

It's a general advance at rank 1 :ssh:

Not enough. :colbert:

Penguingo posted:

I've not played Deathwatch - how much of a challenge are killer kans and dreadnoughts to space marines?

Depends on how many anti-armor weapons they have. Regardless, one walker won't be much trouble for an entire party.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 14, 2012

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.
I was talking to my GM, who said that to the best of his knowledge, there are no stats for dark eldar and craftworld eldar wargear (save for shuriken weapons and guardian armour). Is this the case, and if not, where can I find the relevant wargear stats? Thanks in advance!

SleazyBakeOven fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 14, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SleazyBakeOven posted:

I was talking to my GM, who said that to the best of his knowledge, there are no stats for dark eldar and craftworld eldar wargear (save for shuriken weapons and guardian armour). Is this the case, and if not, where can I find the relevant wargear stats? Thanks in advance!

Black Crusade has Dark Eldar, that ought to give you at least four new weapons.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

SleazyBakeOven posted:

Loads of them show up in the more recent RT suppliments too, lots of aspect and exarch weapons, and the joy of shrieker rounds for the shuriken cannon (both in Hostile Acquisitions)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

The players are the space marines.

Oh, so in other words combat is kind of dumb all the time :v:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh, so in other words combat is kind of dumb all the time :v:

I've come close to killing my kill team many times. Combat is just more difficult.

Dark Eldar are my main enemy in my game and I just kind of make it up. mandrakes can be vicious in a surprise attack. Lots of Eldar weapons appear in Hostile Acquisitions.

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.

TheKingslayer posted:

I've come close to killing my kill team many times. Combat is just more difficult.

Dark Eldar are my main enemy in my game and I just kind of make it up. mandrakes can be vicious in a surprise attack. Lots of Eldar weapons appear in Hostile Acquisitions.

do you mean that you just make up war gear? if so, would it be alright if you could share some weapon stats? I'm comically bad at stating stuff myself is all :(

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Of course. I'll throw some down when I get home.

Agoniser (1d10+4 R; Pen 4; Felling [1], Crippling [4])

Stinger Pods (50m; 1d10+2 R; Pen 3; S/3/5; Toxic [4], Storm)

Dark Lance (300m; 4d10+10 E; Pen 10; S/-/-; Proven[3], Razor Sharp [vs. vehicles only])

Those are the only weapons I've needed so far that there aren't rules for. I doubt I'm going to need things like Hexrifles and other nonsense.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2012

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Thank you very much!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SleazyBakeOven posted:

Thank you very much!

Not a problem. Any specific things you were looking for? I will try to help as much as possible.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

well, I was also looking for a good deal of craftworld Eldar wargear as well; particularly infantry wargear rather than tanks and the like, but again, all stats are welcome. and thank you so much for being so helpful!