Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

No, mate, you want Divine Divinity.

Got Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity on GOG and Divinity 2: DKS on Steam. I guess i love hack & slash rpgs :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I will always remember Darkstone for two things:

a) the mage class who had a skill that turned him into a werewolf of some kind, reversing his stats (MP became HP, magic became strength, etc.) so you could fight out of situations where everything went to poo poo, and...
b) abusing this so I could run directly from the opening town to the final boss. This is a thing you can do if you are retarded and want to take him on at level 1!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ToxicFrog posted:

Behold: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.ca/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

This includes links to both the unofficial patch and the widescreen patch.

This will invalidate save files.

drat, thanks.

And honestly, redoing the mortuary shouldn't be too painful...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
wolf, gog went and elaborated on that one guide: http://www.gog.com/en/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/

I think it's mostly the same thing but a bit streamlined.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Got Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity on GOG and Divinity 2: DKS on Steam. I guess i love hack & slash rpgs :haw:

Divine Divinity is a lot more heavy on the RPG side over hack & slash at least when I played it.

It was way more fun to take in kind of slowly and is one of the better Diablo-esque games I've played, if simply because it doesn't encourage me to rush the entire game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It has a pretty fantastic soundtrack too.
I love the Divinity series, been playing Divinity 2 lately and while it has a ludicrous amount of backtracking, it's ridiculously fun with its satisfying combat system.
Plus you can turn into a loving dragon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I still need to play Divine Divinity.

Maybe once I finish replaying New Vegas...

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Darkstone looks neat, but apparently if I already own Torchlight, there's no point in getting it? Is that accurate at all or is it different enough to still be worth getting at some point, along with maybe Divine Divinity when/if I get my fill of Grimrock.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only thing to remember about Divine Divinity is that it gets much better after the initial dungeon. It's a bitch.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Darkstone is/was a pretty good Diablo clone that was unfairly maligned by the gaming press at the time because everyone released Diablo clones in the late '90s/early '00s.

I seem to remember that one cool feature the game had was that you could create two characters and switch between them at will, while the AI controlled the second. Am I misremembering that?

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/11/interview-gog-speak-their-brains-on-all-things-g/#more-103370

RPS just put up a pretty decent interview with the Gog.com Managing Director and PR guy. Some quite itneresting stuff in it. Not sure I like them thinking Steam Sales are stupid. I see where theyre coming from,but drat, I need to save me some money!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pogue_Mahone posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/11/interview-gog-speak-their-brains-on-all-things-g/#more-103370

RPS just put up a pretty decent interview with the Gog.com Managing Director and PR guy. Some quite itneresting stuff in it. Not sure I like them thinking Steam Sales are stupid. I see where theyre coming from,but drat, I need to save me some money!
I see where they're coming from too, but only when paired with the whole fact that overall prices are loving dumb right now too; $60 a game is dumb, $40 should be the "high" price point, and $30 the general price point. We get the whole collusion of the console market to thank for driving up prices. :argh:

Good game comes out at $30 new? I will snap that up no problem.

$60? gently caress that, I'll wait until it's $10.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Anyone buy Legend of Grimrock from gog.com able to download/install it? Apparently you can order it NOW from Steam and start installing, but folks that purchased the game through Almost Human and are using a pre-order steam activation key are stuck waiting (like myself). I'm just curious.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Grimlock download went live at 17:00GMT on the dot. I'm actually pretty impressed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

duckfarts posted:

I see where they're coming from too, but only when paired with the whole fact that overall prices are loving dumb right now too; $60 a game is dumb, $40 should be the "high" price point, and $30 the general price point. We get the whole collusion of the console market to thank for driving up prices. :argh:

I think it's a combination of a person asking themselves, "Is this really $60 worth of entertainment?" with "Do I really need this now or should I wait a few months when it is inevitably cheaper?" The only games that I have bought day 1 for over like $15 in the past few years are Civ 5 and Guild Wars 2. I'm not sure where I stand on the gamer distribution charts, but I get the feeling practices like that are becoming more and more common, especially when I already have a backlog I will never finish before the heat death of the universe.

I mean, we even have an example, in recent pages, of a game, Darkness 2, going down to $12.50, after a few months. Maybe it's not so much as devaluing games as much as it is forcing gamers to consider what they're going to spend their time on, which has become a much more valuable resource for me, personally.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Most industries learn to avoid heavy discounting because it trains customers not to buy until discounts happen, so I can see where he's coming from.

I think making $40 the standard price for a new release would do a lot of good, and I'd be interested to see what effect it had on sales numbers.

Honestly, having slightly higher prices during Steam sales might have stopped me from buying all these crap games that I'll never complete.

I've got 262 games in my Steam library - I doubt that half of them are high enough quality to think back on them fondly, or even play them for more than a few hours.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Centipeed posted:

Honestly, having slightly higher prices during Steam sales might have stopped me from buying all these crap games that I'll never complete.

I've got 262 games in my Steam library - I doubt that half of them are high enough quality to think back on them fondly, or even play them for more than a few hours.

Right, so there's the rub. I'm pretty sure that devs are making money, and a lot of it, by having low-priced sales. If you would never have bought a game otherwise, well, you just bought it now. Digital sales is an odd one because once you initially break even, it's not like you have any other costs to recoup for products sold. They're capturing more market.

I think GOG is wrong in the statement regarding devaluing games through heavy discounting. Hopefully teaching gamers to look for lower prices could eventually break the hollywood movie level production cost bubble many games fall victim to. I'm not saying cool poo poo doesn't come from that, but it may be largely unnecessary much of the time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

duckfarts posted:

This is me. You are speaking my thoughts.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Drifter posted:

I think GOG is wrong in the statement regarding devaluing games through heavy discounting. Hopefully teaching gamers to look for lower prices could eventually break the hollywood movie level production cost bubble many games fall victim to. I'm not saying cool poo poo doesn't come from that, but it may be largely unnecessary much of the time.

While I don't think every game needs to cost $60 (and frankly, I think kickstarter is going to have the best chance of changing how we get games at what kind of prices to some degree), there's money to be made on big video game projects, just like movies. And some of the best video games recently have topped hollywood records. It's going to mean that you need to hire more talent, and more 'a list' talent, to get the bells and whistles done, from voice acting to motion capture etc, and that drives up the production cost.

I can't find the article I read recently, but a quick google pulled this statement regarding entertainment in the UK 2.5 years ago:
link

quote:

Last year will go down in history as the point at which the UK videogames industry pulled decisively away from cinema, recorded music and DVD sales to become the country's most valuable purchased entertainment market, with combined software and hardware sales topping the £4bn mark for the first time: more than DVD and music sales combined, and more than four times cinema box office takings.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

GrandpaPants posted:

I mean, we even have an example, in recent pages, of a game, Darkness 2, going down to $12.50, after a few months. Maybe it's not so much as devaluing games as much as it is forcing gamers to consider what they're going to spend their time on, which has become a much more valuable resource for me, personally.

And that's where the movie and music analogy comes in. When you break the worst video game I've ever played and paid full price for down to it's hourly cost, it still beats the poo poo out of any movie I've ever seen, good or bad, in terms of cost per hour.

It is a rare movie that costs under 10 bucks, or even 4 bucks to rent, and it's rare still that I spend 60 bucks on a game and don't put at least 10 hours into it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

glug posted:

While I don't think every game needs to cost $60 (and frankly, I think kickstarter is going to have the best chance of changing how we get games at what kind of prices to some degree), there's money to be made on big video game projects, just like movies. And some of the best video games recently have topped hollywood records. It's going to mean that you need to hire more talent, and more 'a list' talent, to get the bells and whistles done, from voice acting to motion capture etc, and that drives up the production cost.

And that's where the movie and music analogy comes in. When you break the worst video game I've ever played and paid full price for down to it's hourly cost, it still beats the poo poo out of any movie I've ever seen, good or bad, in terms of cost per hour.

It is a rare movie that costs under 10 bucks, or even 4 bucks to rent, and it's rare still that I spend 60 bucks on a game and don't put at least 10 hours into it.

I totally agree. I think Videogames have been steadily increasing their dollar share of the entertainment market over the past few years. It's huge.

However, I think time spent and level of enjoyment aren't necessarily related factors. For a videogame, it may take me two hours before I finally come to terms with the fact that the game sucks poo poo. It may take me five to ten hours to realize the game is middling. Games can do something that movies and music can't do, which is pad content to a large extent. I have a very hard time paying $50-$60 on something that I may or may not like, but will take me a very long time to figure that out. It's not worth my money quite often to risk my time like that (or time on money? Something like that).

I think to derive a worth using dollars per hour is not the best or most accurate metric you can have. I think it's actually one of the weakest. It is the easiest to identify, though.

VVVVVVV I may also be slightly hyperbolizing as far as the hours upon hours, but I feel my point still stands, as I am primarily responding to games in the higher than iphone app price range. I could possibly accept the statement (completely unresearched) that a large part of the rise of the games industry subset of the entertainment industry has to do with the microtransactional element of social games, and the cheap pricing structure of those same types of games. I think a dollars per hour metric of angry birds is more accurate than a dollars per hour metric of a higher priced, storied game, because the focus/purpose/utility is different. Although, I feel games like TF2 or CoD fall more into the angry birds category of purpose than, say, some random rpg.
Okay, poo poo, I guess I'm trying to get my oxen-hoofed mind to explain that higher priced single player games $/time metrics are different than higher priced multiplayer $/time metrics. In other words, Oh God, I'll just shut up now.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 11, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I mostly agree, but I think you're generalizing too widely; most people in this thread might do things they aren't sure are fun for hours at a time, but most people in the world? I think the most successfully pie-growing designs of the past decade have been those which were cheap or free to try, and immediately fun to play.

(on the other hand, cow clicker)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So does GoG price games by region or was I wrong?

quote:

....we price things fairly all around the world at one flat price....

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Scalding Coffee posted:

So does GoG price games by region or was I wrong?

Same price everywhere in the world.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I thought they charged more for some game I can't remember now in Australia but gave you GoG credit to compensate? That's not exactly a flat rate everywhere.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

I thought they charged more for some game I can't remember now in Australia but gave you GoG credit to compensate? That's not exactly a flat rate everywhere.
The Witcher 2. Previously you could change your country location and get the lower price, but they lost in court to their publisher and were forced to reinstate IP geolocation.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Kurtofan posted:

Same price everywhere in the world.
The only exception as far as I know is The Witcher 2, where they compensate you for the overprice you pay via games on GOG.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kissekatt posted:

The only exception as far as I know is The Witcher 2, where they compensate you for the overprice you pay via games on GOG.
It's in some ways similar to how the IGN Prime 15% discount on GamersGate purchases sometimes goes to blue coins instead of being directly taken off the order. It's annoying, but it's trying to not dick you over due to circumstances, which is pretty nice.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Theme Hospital is now up for $5.99!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
gently caress me

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
EA quit dancing around and green light Sim City 3000 please.

EDIT: I guess I'm the only one that didn't buy theme hospital.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 12, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bought bought bought.

One of my favourite sim games ever. I remember it getting really difficult later on, but there's nothing not to like about the design and the aesthetics. It's also really funny.

And the music is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4LkJ4wfLU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Faraday Cage posted:

Theme Hospital is now up for $5.99!

Pay attention to the Open-source clone of the game then (takes original resources and plugs them into an .exe for modern systems). http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
THEE HOPSITAL FUUUUUUCCCKKK YEEESSSSS

Life's loving over. This is it, pack it in boys. I'm outtie. Thanks Gog.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

A refresh fixed that for me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

A refresh fixed that for me.

Yeah, for me too. I just thought it was funny.

Unlike the release of Theme Hospital which isn't funny at all.

It's serious. loving. business.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Gog.com is the best. :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Life's good. Everything's good.

On to dismiss dying patients to save own's reputation.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

member001
Feb 19, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, for me too. I just thought it was funny.

Unlike the release of Theme Hospital which isn't funny at all.

It's serious. loving. business.

Course it is serious, it is loving Theme Hospital!