Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This made this the best year of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I played the poo poo out of that, but I never got really good at it. Legend of Grimrock means I'll be waiting on a sale (because I am forever cheap because of an endless backlog), but hotdamn that is a great addition to GOG.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
aaaaand black screen on start up. Nooooooooooooooo

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I don't think I ever played Theme Hospital without cheating. Is it generally considered a difficult game? I'm not sure if it was genuinely a tough game or I was am just terrible at it. As much as I enjoyed playing it and I have very fond memories of it, I'm not sure if it's worth buying/replaying.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Xik posted:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I don't think I ever played Theme Hospital without cheating. Is it generally considered a difficult game? I'm not sure if it was genuinely a tough game or I was am just terrible at it. As much as I enjoyed playing it and I have very fond memories of it, I'm not sure if it's worth buying/replaying.

No, I'm pretty sure it was just very hard. I seem to recall the later levels just being kind of poorly balanced and could screw you over if you didn't :spergin: over the placement of every little plant and radiator. But I remember the same being the case in Theme Park as well and it certainly doesn't ruin what is otherwise a fantastic game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xik posted:

It is hard, and still worth a play. TH requires a lot of micromanaging to keep everything going as efficiently as possible while growing the hospital's reputation. The lack of Internet to check for good guides back then didn't help matters, but the micromanaging and attention to detail are still a good challenge even if you know what you're doing. And the humor was nifty.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Faraday Cage posted:

Theme Hospital is now up for $5.99!
Oh loving gently caress.

This is the game I got on a whim and ended up glued to the screen, trying to clean up puke waves all over the drat place.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I remember it being a lot of trial and error. Mostly trying to remember what illnesses become huge priorities at the end of a level the first time you failed and preparing for them. I think I beat the game in a couple days when I was like 12 so it can't be that hard.

The setup/payoff nature of the game
Is very satisfying and that's what
I come for. It's definitely more of a puzzle game than a real tycoon or strategy and that's why I like it so much.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Life's good. Everything's good.

On to dismiss dying patients to save own's reputation.

73% Chance of diagnosis

Send patient home.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really want to like Gabriel Knight 1 because I like the setting and love the music that plays in the book store, but this is some really lame adventure gaming. How was I to know I could read two specific books on the giant bookshelf when I couldn't read the others? Why would I think to use a magnifying glass on that specific patch of grass without any "If only I could look closer" type hint? Why would I even look at that grass in the first place? Why are there so many different interaction options that could have/should have been combined into one?

Also, Tim Curry's accent is amazingly bad, but that's fine by me.

Quest for Glory 4 which came out the same year puts this game to absolute shame. QfG for president of adventure games.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Theme Hospital, yes!!!! Time to deflate some heads!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Nice! Theme Hospital is the #1 game what I thought of when I thought of GOG, I remember enjoying it a lot when I was a youngster, can't wait to check it out now. Instant purchase.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Faraday Cage posted:

Theme Hospital is now up for $5.99!

I actually can't believe it... I will never criticize GoG for anything, ever.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Wendell posted:

Quest for Glory 4 which came out the same year puts this game to absolute shame. QfG for president of adventure games.
The key is that the QFG series is one where Roberta Williams wasn't directly involved with it.

Also, you should try Gabriel Knight 3 for proof that Tim Curry could certainly phone his performance in even more.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TH doesn't come with the soundtrack.

:arghfist::(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
loving insta-bought. Theme Hospital is 100% purestrain 90s gaming at its best. :fap::science:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Good tip for Theme Hospital: Putting consultants in the GP's office will solve 90% of cases, or get you 90% of a full diagnosis. It's great for weeding out the cheap and easy diseases

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
GOG.com now have two of my favourite games of all time. Thank you GOG.com for providing this incredible bounty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nanpa posted:

Good tip for Theme Hospital: Putting consultants in the GP's office will solve 90% of cases, or get you 90% of a full diagnosis. It's great for weeding out the cheap and easy diseases

Go tell that to the Before I Play This Game thread. I anticipate it's going to have an influx of fresh buyers soon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Never even heard of this game before, but what does it play like?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Deakul posted:

TH doesn't come with the soundtrack.

:arghfist::(

But that is the best part!

Wait, do you mean a soundtrack as a separate download? I'm fine with that, as long as the game isn't mangled. I mean, they're all available on Youtube anyway.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

evilmiera posted:

But that is the best part!

Wait, do you mean a soundtrack as a separate download? I'm fine with that, as long as the game isn't mangled. I mean, they're all available on Youtube anyway.

Yeah, as a bonus GOG almost always gives you the soundtrack to the games.
And the fact that it's the best part of the game baffles me even more that they'd exclude it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, it's one of the EA releases. If it had a proper expansion, they wouldn't even bother to include it. Lack of soundtrack is hardly surprising. Enjoy the game; it's a classic for a good reason.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Rirse posted:

It plays like many sim games of the era except it has a massive injection (hur hur) of humour. You build hospital facilities room-by-room and item-by-item, hiring staff and attempting to cure enough patients in a bid to become the best hospital in the area. It's really brilliant.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

It's a business sim. Similar games would be Startopia, Theme Park, Evil Genius, or one of the million terrible shovelware sims released in the last decade. Except Theme Park and Theme Hospital popularized the genre and are incredibly charming, funny, and well designed. Theme Hospital might be my favorite business sim.

Interesting thing about Startopia, it's the same dev team as Theme Hosptial, more or less. When Bullfrog got gutted by EA, unlike everyone else there, they didn't follow Molyneux to Lionhead. They formed their own studio and made Startopia, but that sold really poorly and they ended up joining Lionhead anyways. There, that same dev team still together, made The Movies. I don't know what those designers are doing anymore, probably making lovely Fable cash-ins. I wish they'd get together again, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 12, 2012

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Pay attention to the Open-source clone of the game then (takes original resources and plugs them into an .exe for modern systems). http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/

Worth noting is that the following are not yet implemented;

Earthquakes
Epidemics
Handyman priorities
Rats
Graphs
Visual effects on patients with serious radiation and jellyitis.
Fullscreen animations such as the level screen and winning letter.

Although it is the best way to get it running on the Mac.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just realised that you need to own the game to use the Open-source clone anyway so here goes! :woop:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Interesting thing about Startopia, it's the same dev team as Theme Hosptial, more or less. When Bullfrog got gutted by EA, unlike everyone else there, they didn't follow Molyneux to Lionhead. They formed their own studio and made Startopia, but that sold really poorly and they ended up joining Lionhead anyways. There, that same dev team still together, made The Movies. I don't know what those designers are doing anymore, probably making lovely Fable cash-ins. I wish they'd get together again, though.

Honestly, I'd recommend people just get Startopia. Theme Hospital is good, but Startopia is great, and has aged far more gracefully than TH. The only thing it really lacks is native widescreen support.

Sold Out Games have it in stock, first hand and cheap. Free postage in the UK, add $3.50 or $5 for EU or US.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dominic White posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend people just get Startopia. Theme Hospital is good, but Startopia is great, and has aged far more gracefully than TH. The only thing it really lacks is native widescreen support.

Sold Out Games have it in stock, first hand and cheap. Free postage in the UK, add $3.50 or $5 for EU or US.

Agreed on all counts. Startopia is great, and the widescreen thing is a minor distortion. If you are already used to seeing a DOS game on a widescreen monitor, you'll survive playing Startopia.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

scamtank posted:

Go tell that to the Before I Play This Game thread. I anticipate it's going to have an influx of fresh buyers soon.

It turns out there are already some handy tips on the wiki, but I added the one about consultants in GPs offices as well:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Theme_Hospital

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Curse you, Dominic White, you're making me want to look through my plastic carrier bag full of computer game CDs for the Startopia one. With no guarantee that it won't require a CD Key of some sort.

Which would be in/on one of the boxes I threw away a couple of months ago.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How is everyone playing TH resolution/scaler wise? I think the open-source project has spoiled me with its high resolutions. Even 800x600 looks ugly as poo poo on the GOG version.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Red_Fred posted:

How is everyone playing TH resolution/scaler wise? I think the open-source project has spoiled me with its high resolutions. Even 800x600 looks ugly as poo poo on the GOG version.

Playing it in a big window. Trouble is that it's a little laggier than using fullscreen and native output.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Xik posted:

I did this half of the time just to play "World's Greatest Bathroom Designer".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hav posted:

Although it is the best way to get it running on the Mac.
Nah, Boxer still owns.

Absorbing
Jun 20, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Well I just realised that you need to own the game to use the Open-source clone anyway so here goes! :woop:

Honestly, you don't. The demo files work fine if I remember correctly. That said, I'm buying this right now.

I used to play a lot of TH and it ruled. Even though I never finished it.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

AxeManiac posted:

I did this half of the time just to play "World's Greatest Bathroom Designer".

World's Most Superbly Placed Potted Plants In A Doctor's Office

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why is it called Theme Hospital?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Why is it called Theme Hospital?

Because it's the follow up to Theme Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I check in on GOG every couple days to see if they released anything worthwhile and grabbed my wallet as soon as I saw the doctor holding a chainsaw. The CorsixTH beta was fun, but full of bugs and missing a ton of stuff; basically a long way off from version 1.0 so I am very happy to see this.

I wonder if they'll bother with Theme Park or the Theme World game that Maxis released for whatever reason. I'd probably pick them up, if only for nostalgia, RollerCoaster Tycoon pretty much fills the niche anyway.

Now if only they'd release Imperium Galactica II all would be well. Seriously, why is that game so god drat hard to find, let along get running?