Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheJoker138 posted:

If Ultimate Osborn is still alive, I want to see a scene of 616 Peter confronting him, and beating the poo poo out of him. Maybe have some big Osborn moment of "Ha ha, what are you going to do? I already killed you once!" or whatever and then Peter just outclassing him in every way during the ensuing fight.

Yeah that'd be a good way to take all of Miles' heat away from him, having the already established Spider-man take away his obvious Dragon without breaking a sweat.

The thing is that Miles is so new and green and lacking in confidence so far that I can't see the dynamic being anything but Miles being totally blown away by how awesome Peter is, and I think that's a really poo poo way to build up your new character. Not to mention that even if you want to stick your fingers in your ears about it, there's a racial subtext to it that completely blows.

Before, Miles was the new Ultimate Spider-man, with the potential to be even greater than the original, who was still just a kid when he died. Now he's gonna be a gosh-darned sidekick to a full grown white man, who's an adult version of a guy he worships.

I mean maybe I'm wrong, maybe Miles is gonna clown the hell out of everything they face with 616 Peter not really doing much, but I dunno. I can't see this going anywhere good. Are USM's sales in the shitter or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that'd be a good way to take all of Miles' heat away from him, having the already established Spider-man take away his obvious Dragon without breaking a sweat.

The thing is that Miles is so new and green and lacking in confidence so far that I can't see the dynamic being anything but Miles being totally blown away by how awesome Peter is, and I think that's a really poo poo way to build up your new character. Not to mention that even if you want to stick your fingers in your ears about it, there's a racial subtext to it that completely blows.

Before, Miles was the new Ultimate Spider-man, with the potential to be even greater than the original, who was still just a kid when he died. Now he's gonna be a gosh-darned sidekick to a full grown white man, who's an adult version of a guy he worships.

I mean maybe I'm wrong, maybe Miles is gonna clown the hell out of everything they face with 616 Peter not really doing much, but I dunno. I can't see this going anywhere good. Are USM's sales in the shitter or something?

If the entire book is Peter being better than Miles and Miles not doing poo poo, then yeah, I agree with you. But the easy way to get around that is have Miles beat the poo poo out of 616 Osborne (or some other major villain that Peter usually has trouble with) because he's unpredictable or whatever, and has his own thing.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, I could see it being about how Peter is trying to convince Miles to just be a normal kid, and Miles showing him he can do more.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So does anyone else think this might be how Miles finally gets his webshooters?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

So does anyone else think this might be how Miles finally gets his webshooters?

Would make Jessica seem like a massive bitch, but yes, it'd be sweet. I think Uncle Aaron's going to be the one to get him some, though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So, Ultimate X-men 10. :stare: They...certainly ARE trying to make this different than the 616 universe this time around.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Yeah it's just... Christ, I know that Ultimate storytelling is decompressed and all but UXM is really starting to take the piss. We're only just starting to resolve the Nimrod 'HIS WILL' plotline from 5 months ago and if you think that this fight with the Nimrod's is going to be over in one or two issues at the rate this poo poo is going you're kidding yourself.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Sion posted:

Yeah it's just... Christ, I know that Ultimate storytelling is decompressed and all but UXM is really starting to take the piss. We're only just starting to resolve the Nimrod 'HIS WILL' plotline from 5 months ago and if you think that this fight with the Nimrod's is going to be over in one or two issues at the rate this poo poo is going you're kidding yourself.

I think this is the reason it's getting a new creative team, it's taken way too long to get anything done. I imagine it's even more frustrating for a new reader, there's been at least 2 or 3 issues with Jimmy Jr in his new Wolverine costume on the cover, and I don't think he's appeared that way in the book once yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At least people can't complain about Bendis' slow pacing anymore! :haw:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If x-men was every 2 weeks I wouldn't complain about the pacing. The story has been good.

Colossus :stare:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

, there's been at least 2 or 3 issues with Jimmy Jr in his new Wolverine costume on the cover, and I don't think he's appeared that way in the book once yet.

That was one time too many. Ugh.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If x-men was every 2 weeks I wouldn't complain about the pacing. The story has been good.

Colossus :stare:

Yeah but it's not so we can.

Also I remember during the announcement about the new writer on Ultimates where he said 'I'm going to throw everything off a cliff' or something. I was sort of under the impression that everything has just been thrown off a cliff and was still plunging to the ground at a kajillion miles an hour.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I want them to go the complete opposite with it and have Peter try to deal with the fact that no matter what way you spin it a 16 year old version of him was murdered by Osborn in front of Aunt May.

It would be pretty awkward if he and aunt may met.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

massive spider posted:

It would be even more awkward if he met Gwen

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

At least people can't complain about Bendis' slow pacing anymore! :haw:

It's to the point I don't even remember what happened in the last 9 issues.

Whereas I can pretty clearly recall what has happened in the similar number issues of the current Daredevil series.

I mean, we've had Magneto come back, Xavier come back, Rogue in some sort of alliance with Xavier, Quicksilver seems to be going insane, and absolutely none of those plots have been addressed at all.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

massive spider posted:

Dacap posted:

It would be even more awkward if he met Gwen

This is why he needs to meet them. May seeing what Peter could have grown up to be and Peter in a world where he dies and not Gwen are interesting things to see play out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

This is why he needs to meet them. May seeing what Peter could have grown up to be and Peter in a world where he dies and not Gwen are interesting things to see play out.

Oh man, imagine his reaction when he finds out Gwen is actually Carnage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Miles - things get pretty crazy around here. Its NY after all. I mean it's not as bad as Europe where this Reed Richards guy killed the gods and built a city or something. Things in NY aren't bad I guess. Then again, after Magneto killed millions with a wave that flooded the cirt, nothing's as bad.

Peter, member of the FF who before AvX teamed up with Magneto - :psyduck:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Miles - things get pretty crazy around here. Its NY after all. I mean it's not as bad as Europe where this Reed Richards guy killed the gods and built a city or something. Things in NY aren't bad I guess. Then again, after Magneto killed millions with a wave that flooded the cirt, nothing's as bad.

Peter, member of the FF who before AvX teamed up with Magneto - :psyduck:
I don't know. I think that Peter is one of the heroes who would be most capable of taking that kind of thing in stride; his entire reason for superheroing, after all, is tied up in the idea that seemingly insignificant decisions can have huge consequences. If he'd have a problem it would be in looking at the larger Ultimate Universe (outside of Gwen being alive) and being a little bummed that nothing seems better over there than in his home universe.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I mean, we've had Magneto come back, Xavier come back, Rogue in some sort of alliance with Xavier, Quicksilver seems to be going insane, and absolutely none of those plots have been addressed at all.

I am still convinced that Magneto and Xavier will end up being Mystique.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man the Ultimate Universe is not loving around with anything. Especiallyn Zorn.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yup.

I read the last page and was like :staredog: for a good 10 minutes.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ultimate Ultimate Ultimates is cray-cray. In this issue: EVERYONE EXPLODES!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Matt Cruea posted:

Ultimate Ultimate Ultimates is cray-cray. In this issue: EVERYONE EXPLODES!

Zorn imploded :colbert:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
HULK SMASH AMERICA!

Pretty awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a pretty goddamn ballistic issue of Ultimates. Hickman certainly isn't loving around with this.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ITS TOO MUCH LIKE SIX ONE SI-

Welp.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Peter seeing what May could have been if she wasn't a dimwitted old biddy seems even better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little confused. So the City got super-nuked, right? Then what did Zorn black-hole-bomb?

VVV: Ooooohhh. That makes sense upon re-reading.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

I'm a little confused. So the City got super-nuked, right? Then what did Zorn black-hole-bomb?

Reed had sent a portion of his Children to attack Tian directly. Zorn went with his army to meet them and met somewhere not anywhere near The City which got nuked to hell and back.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

This feels like the event Ultimatum should have been

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
HOLY CRAP. Was that a one shot ability from Zorn? Or does he literally control a singularity and can do that to anyone. It's also hard to tell if The City is screwed... who are the Dynamos?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They actually show/introduce the Dynamos in Ultimates #2 when they're showing the history of the city. They power The City so their sacrifice means they all overloaded powering the shields that salvaged some of The City.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
Every time someone in Ultimates is surprised and they get those perfectly round bug-eyes I can't help but laugh.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And the next issue everyone who survived the nuclear strike dies from massive radiation exposure. Crisis averted!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hey so wanna know something weird? There was more outcry about the changes to Spider-man than there's been over the whole 'we blew up the white house, killed the president and then nuked the whole of washington with a child that was also a bio weapon' thing.

Just struck me as odd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sion posted:

Hey so wanna know something weird? There was more outcry about the changes to Spider-man than there's been over the whole 'we blew up the white house, killed the president and then nuked the whole of washington with a child that was also a bio weapon' thing.

Just struck me as odd.

Buildings are blown up in comics every day. There will be more presidents and destroying entire cities is nothing new.

Peter Parker is was and always will be Spider-man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sion posted:

Just struck me as odd.

Wasn't the Vice President also a vampire?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wasn't the Vice President also a vampire?

Maybe. I dunno, it was Mark Millar though so I don't think anyone cares.

Rhyno posted:

Buildings are blown up in comics every day. There will be more presidents and destroying entire cities is nothing new.

Peter Parker is was and always will be Spider-man.

Well he's not been. Like, in the mindset of people that don't really know about comics maybe sure but Peter Parker spent a fair bit of time not being Spider-man in 616 and now Miles is Spidey in the UU and, to be honest, I kind of like him more than Ultimate Pete. He seems like he's gonna have less of a whinge about things. It just struck me as kind of sad that that was what got peoples hackles up rather than the whole... comic book representing what's basically a terrorist attack on the US government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Sion posted:

Maybe. I dunno, it was Mark Millar though so I don't think anyone cares.

Well he's not been. Like, in the mindset of people that don't really know about comics maybe sure but Peter Parker spent a fair bit of time not being Spider-man in 616 and now Miles is Spidey in the UU and, to be honest, I kind of like him more than Ultimate Pete. He seems like he's gonna have less of a whinge about things. It just struck me as kind of sad that that was what got peoples hackles up rather than the whole... comic book representing what's basically a terrorist attack on the US government.

How was that a terrorist attack? The US dumped their entire stock of nuclear bombs on The City, who in response retaliated justly. Reed made it very clear that he just wanted to be left alone.

• Locked thread