Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

+1 for the survey. Gonna have to fill it out when I can get home and look at my gear.

Numberchat: I haven't committed to a jersey number yet. Until recently it really hasn't been a big deal, but I just started in a new league this week that wants us to have numbers, and I'm having a bitch of a time coming up with one. I suppose I could just keep on what I've been doing, using tape and making numbers based on whatever numbers are already being used, but I figure I probably really ought to just go ahead and pick one and make it official. So my question is: how did you chose your number? Did you use your birth year? Throw a dart at a dartboard? Make a ritual sacrifice to the hockey gods under the light of a full moon? Just pull one out of your rear end because you had to? Help me, this is such a stupid problem to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My number is 32 because that's just what I ended up with in high school football and I have used it for everything since then, except I am 55 on my current team because they just have a bunch of jerseys they throw out to new players at the start of the season. With a team that completely turns over every 4 years I don't stress it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I started out with 14, no idea why, then started using 4 when I played on a team that 14 was taken in, because of Rob Blake. I've also used 44 and 5, and well 88 as well.

Just pick a number you like or looks cool on a jersey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doh wrong thread

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

D C posted:

Fuckin' hockey gear man.
That is a lot of helmets.

Question for the refs: if a defender goes for a stick lift or some other sort of stick check, "misses" and hits the puck carrier in the hands, is that a penalty?

NUMBERCHAT: One of my uncles passed from a stroke. He was born in 1959, so I've chosen 59 as a number any time I can pick. Before I did that, I used to pick prime numbers.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 12, 2012

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

coldwind posted:

Question for the refs: if a defender goes for a stick lift or some other sort of stick check, "misses" and hits the puck carrier in the hands, is that a penalty?

Yes. Maybe. No. Ok, so basically, missing a stick lift and getting the hands has a lot of possibilities. If the stick is there for a bit, a hook is guaranteed to come. Even if it doesn't, it could still be a hook. Just touching the hands slightly and not getting tangled is probably ok, as long as it isn't so violent as to be considered a slash.

So if you got called, it's probably the "right" call. It's generally seen as chintzy, but it's one of those calls that dudes generally don't complain too much about since they have hosed up, and generally know it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Missed stick lifts ending in a slashing call isn't that uncommon. The penalty is usually called when the stick lift is done in desperation or at a bad angle and misses which leads to a dangerous situation.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Filled out the survey, but I left blank the model# parts. I'm lazy, and distraught.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

+1 for the survey. Gonna have to fill it out when I can get home and look at my gear.

Numberchat: I haven't committed to a jersey number yet. Until recently it really hasn't been a big deal, but I just started in a new league this week that wants us to have numbers, and I'm having a bitch of a time coming up with one. I suppose I could just keep on what I've been doing, using tape and making numbers based on whatever numbers are already being used, but I figure I probably really ought to just go ahead and pick one and make it official. So my question is: how did you chose your number? Did you use your birth year? Throw a dart at a dartboard? Make a ritual sacrifice to the hockey gods under the light of a full moon? Just pull one out of your rear end because you had to? Help me, this is such a stupid problem to have.

I'm #19, Steve Yzerman.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

D C posted:

Fuckin' hockey gear man.
A blue tinted visor? Well now.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm #12, cause that's what they gave me. Don't really care.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

A blue tinted visor? Well now.

And a smoke colored one as well.

"That guy" spotted.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Numberchat: I've had 15 for about as long as I can remember from soccer, then to lacrosse and now hockey. If that's taken by someone my fallback is 26. Thankfully I can get 15 on both my current teams.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a trick to make you think he's that guy, but he certainly doesn't play like it

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

real_scud posted:

Numberchat: I've had 15 for about as long as I can remember from soccer, then to lacrosse and now hockey. If that's taken by someone my fallback is 26. Thankfully I can get 15 on both my current teams.

I wore 13 in high school for Sundin...if I were to pick a number again, I'd go with Devereaux's 22.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Always wore #22 for soccer so it sort of stuck with me. I have a #61 that I inherited from a teammate that can't make the new league, I'm not sure if I like it as much as #22

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm #19, Steve Yzerman.

I'm #10, Pavel Bure

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Minister Robathan posted:

Yes. Maybe. No. Ok, so basically, missing a stick lift and getting the hands has a lot of possibilities. If the stick is there for a bit, a hook is guaranteed to come. Even if it doesn't, it could still be a hook. Just touching the hands slightly and not getting tangled is probably ok, as long as it isn't so violent as to be considered a slash.

So if you got called, it's probably the "right" call. It's generally seen as chintzy, but it's one of those calls that dudes generally don't complain too much about since they have hosed up, and generally know it.
I've been on the receiving end a lot and not drawn calls. I've also been on the giving end once or twice and not gotten calls.

It's kind of annoying to get hit in the hands with a stick and not get a call. Oh well.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Awesome Animals posted:

I understood that most of the people who contribute to this thread didn't. I've only counted four or five of us who did.

Played travel. And college! :D

Actually I still play travel hockey. One advantage of women's hockey I think - if you're good it's relatively easy to find a team to latch on to and play at a decently high level.

And I don't think I've had the same number across teams once.

edit: filled out gear survey. and my visor is mirrored.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 12, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We normally would have to pick a number from jerseys that already had numbers on them. When we got custom jerseys I just added up all the numbers I used before and it equaled 47 and thats what I use now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Topoisomerase posted:

Played travel. And college! :D

Growing up, I played on travel teams for inline... does that count? :shobon:

And I guess a couple years ago I traveled to State Wars, so recently too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
had my first real hockey injury tonight. I got drilled into the boards in a no-check league shoulder first, but the guy got me in the side of the head pretty good. I felt a little woozy getting off the ice, but not before i skated to their bench and called him a piece of poo poo for sandbagging in beginner league and taking runs at people.

so my shoulder is hurting pretty badly right now and i think i might have a concussion.

i was wearing a cage.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I spent a year dealing with some of the worst concussion symptoms you could have, if it gets bad, feel free to PM me and I'll share anything I can with you.

Don't ask me why but I found Rooibos tea did wonders for my symptoms.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna see how I feel in the morning. If I even have a headache, I'll go to the health center on campus and get checked out.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

And a smoke colored one as well.

"That guy" spotted.

I play in a very bright arena and it really helps.

If the blue one wasnt so scratched up I'd use it more too because it owns.

I dont have the mirrored visor mounted to a helmet right now tho.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
drat...I have no balance anymore. drat it. Fat feet and stiff boots suck.

But playing some 3 on 2 was awesome.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I'm gonna see how I feel in the morning. If I even have a headache, I'll go to the health center on campus and get checked out.

If you do, I'd be curious to hear what your assessment and treatment plan were. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to doctors/hospitals and concussions and it would be interesting to hear how your health center deals with someone who's walked in saying they have a concussion.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Note to all, learn from my mistake. When you reglue padding to the inside of the helmet, wait for it to dry before wearing. :teach:

Yes. I realize this is common sense.

Kashew fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 12, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've almost accidentally managed to involve myself in the gold/unlimited level at a tournament in Dallas in a few weeks. This should be interesting...

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

real_scud posted:

Another lacrosse player on the forums! I thought they didn't exist!

Numberchat: I grew up playing as #7 until I reached a point where there was arguing over the number where I then just multiplied 7 by 2 and moved onto #14. When I got to HS, #14 was being used by a player two years my senior but #21 was available. Took #21 and haven't looked back. It became my all around number (except for football, I was #80, because I was a receiver).

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
So suspension or not? Discuss..

http://youtu.be/I2i1Qe85sgg

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress Weber, my head still hurts.

At least I wasn't wearing a cage though.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress Weber, my head still hurts.

At least I wasn't wearing a cage though.

Saved you from a concussion for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the hit has actually helped, your avatar has stopped spinning around!

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Numberchat: #13. Always and forever. No idea why, I just liked the number when I was a kid. When 13 was taken it didn't matter what number I got.

First game of new season tonight. Awesome playoff hockey last night, mens league tonight, loving life so much right now.

Stick question -- It's been a few years since I purchased a stick, and I feel like I'm out of touch with what's going on. I went over to hockey giant to look at some sticks, and I'm genuinely confused by the low kick point vs original stick stuff. Example:

I currently use an Easton ST (85, P4 Zetterberg, GRIP!!!) and enjoy it well enough. I picked up an RS (because I wanted to see what the hub-bub was about), and found the 85 flex P4 more difficult to flex than my ST. I also noticed it was flexing at about the same point (mid way) compared to my ST. Not wanting to go off of memory, I picked up a Mako M5, and an EQ50 (clearance!) and thought they all had more or less the same flex point. Am I doing something wrong or do I just suck so much that I can't tell the difference?

I also picked up a few Bauer sticks to test the feel/lie and found the 87 flex of the Supreme and the Vapors to do the same thing.

Note: I'm kind of an Easton whore, but my buddy who just started playing with us is 100% Bauer so I might leave my comfort zone to give a Bauer stick a try. I know brand and blade are very personal choices, I just want to know about the whole low kick vs not low kick? from people who've tried them so I can make an educated decision in purchasing. My price point is $150 if someone feels a recommendation is in order, too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bigmike posted:

If you do, I'd be curious to hear what your assessment and treatment plan were. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to doctors/hospitals and concussions and it would be interesting to hear how your health center deals with someone who's walked in saying they have a concussion.

I didn't end up going. I feel alright now, but im definitely going to be wary of how I feel when I exert myself or whatever. Even if I were to go to my lovely student health center, they'd probably just send me home with some ibuprofen and a recommendation to avoid exercise. Because, according to them, every human illness ever can be treated with a prescription.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

Numberchat: #13. Always and forever. No idea why, I just liked the number when I was a kid. When 13 was taken it didn't matter what number I got.

First game of new season tonight. Awesome playoff hockey last night, mens league tonight, loving life so much right now.

Stick question -- It's been a few years since I purchased a stick, and I feel like I'm out of touch with what's going on. I went over to hockey giant to look at some sticks, and I'm genuinely confused by the low kick point vs original stick stuff. Example:

I currently use an Easton ST (85, P4 Zetterberg, GRIP!!!) and enjoy it well enough. I picked up an RS (because I wanted to see what the hub-bub was about), and found the 85 flex P4 more difficult to flex than my ST. I also noticed it was flexing at about the same point (mid way) compared to my ST. Not wanting to go off of memory, I picked up a Mako M5, and an EQ50 (clearance!) and thought they all had more or less the same flex point. Am I doing something wrong or do I just suck so much that I can't tell the difference?

I also picked up a few Bauer sticks to test the feel/lie and found the 87 flex of the Supreme and the Vapors to do the same thing.

Note: I'm kind of an Easton whore, but my buddy who just started playing with us is 100% Bauer so I might leave my comfort zone to give a Bauer stick a try. I know brand and blade are very personal choices, I just want to know about the whole low kick vs not low kick? from people who've tried them so I can make an educated decision in purchasing. My price point is $150 if someone feels a recommendation is in order, too.

Well what kind of shots are you taking more? Low kickpoint sticks have quicker releases so they are good for snap and wrist shots, mid kickpoint sticks are better for heavy slapshots and wrist shots as well. All in all its a preference thing. I use the Vapor APX because I like the geometry of the stick more than the Supreme/TotalONE. I also don't take a lot of slapshots so having a slightly quicker release helps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lawnie posted:

I didn't end up going. I feel alright now, but im definitely going to be wary of how I feel when I exert myself or whatever. Even if I were to go to my lovely student health center, they'd probably just send me home with some ibuprofen and a recommendation to avoid exercise. Because, according to them, every human illness ever can be treated with a prescription.

Okay, Toews. Just don't go driving your Mercedes near the L trains.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

cenzo posted:

I use a EQ50 and switched over from the S line (S19 blah blah). I think the RS is the evolution of those but they also changed it. Switching to the EQ50 from the stealth line was a big difference to me. I mainly shoot wristers and the kick point was perfect for me. The RS feels like it has a higher kick point and it super stiff even at the lower flexes. The Mako is the evolution of the EQ50. A guy on my roller team has it and I checked it out last night. It's pretty much the same stick with a paint job and way lighter. Keep in mind the EQ50 has a built in weight system for a custom feel and I actually prefer it over a super light stick. The EQ50 just feels super balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an EQ50 and for the life of me I can't understand or see the value in the little weight system. I just never really noticed a difference.