Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think a lot of people report that they can do a 1.5m run just fine with interval training. Really the end of the story is that the military is totally retarded about this, and you should get out, if not for your sanity and your career, then for your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Rrail posted:

I think a lot of people report that they can do a 1.5m run just fine with interval training. Really the end of the story is that the military is totally retarded about this, and you should get out, if not for your sanity and your career, then for your body.

Joke's on you, I'm going in!

Wait a minute... :smithicide:

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Rrail posted:

Simply put, being fast is much better (in my opinion) than being able to run long. For most people in a combat environment (read: on a FOB), what's going to save your life is how fast you can get to a bunker. I won't dare to speak for people out in the red, though.
Or just do both well!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
This is why you do training that makes sense regardless of what the military wants you to do for their dumb test. You can't tell me that you can't meet the minimums of the PT test if you're in good shape, regardless of how much you hate distance running. 1.5 miles is NOT a distance run.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am in just awful cardiovascular shape at this point, I am sure. I used to do 15 minutes @ 110rpm on a medium difficulty high climb mode on the exercise bike and my heart rate would read out as like 195bpm. So basically dancing on the edge of death. It came down over time of course but then I stopped doing that when like 8 different people told me "Stop doing cardio idiot".

Gonna start doing HIIT again in mid-May. Not looking forward to puking.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Rrail posted:

I am in just awful cardiovascular shape at this point, I am sure. I used to do 15 minutes @ 110rpm on a medium difficulty high climb mode on the exercise bike and my heart rate would read out as like 195bpm. So basically dancing on the edge of death. It came down over time of course but then I stopped doing that when like 8 different people told me "Stop doing cardio idiot".

Gonna start doing HIIT again in mid-May. Not looking forward to puking.

Good god, I don't think I've ever seen my heartrate above 170, and that's after full sprints. Your heart is going to explode. HIIT is probably the way to go for you, assuming you don't die in the process.

Nice avatar by the way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gonna be nice and Army fat due to all of my lifting. I wonder if reserve tape tests are as hilarious as reserve APFTs. I can see myself suddenly having either 8 or 28% body fat.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

psydude posted:

Gonna be nice and Army fat due to all of my lifting. I wonder if reserve tape tests are as hilarious as reserve APFTs. I can see myself suddenly having either 8 or 28% body fat.

Got taped at like... 22% at MEPS. I think I just stared at the Filipino dude for a minute after he said that, trying to figure out a more politic way to ask him if his parents were related. Tape test is so bad if you lift, it's amazing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It is entirely possible to lift and not get a giant gut.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I actually had a lot of issues passing it back when I was skinny as poo poo and ran all the time. When I started lifting, my neck got thick enough that it stopped being an issue unless the person doing the measurements didn't know what they were doing (this happened to me at BOLC).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The navy tape the measure your waist and subtract your neck and check on the chart. The only way you really fail is if you have a bigass gut.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

gently caress it, I'm just going to start doing power shrugs like three times a week. No-neck status, here I come!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The only way you fail the Navy taping is if you're fat as gently caress. Make all the excuses you want about it being inaccurate or whatever. You're too swole or your abnormally sized neck. But I only ever see the huge fatties fail. Not just the gut dudes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've seen really fat guys pass the army tape test and really skinny guys fail it. The key is to just have a big neck. The moment I started doing shoulder shrugs, the problem went away.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The Army uses the neck and waist as well. I have a 17 inch neck when I roll my traps forward, so I believe I can have up to a 41 or 42 inch waist and still pass. We have guys that look pregnant that pass as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: AF is straight waist measurement.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
When I was a CFL I routinely saw fatties lose upwards of 50 lbs only to still be overweight and have their bodyfat (according to the tape) go up. These guys just happened to lose a lot of fat in their neck area so the measurement decreased drastically in that area and not so much around the gut. I usually passed these guys because I can tell when someone is trying and when someone is a fat piece.

I worked with this one kid who was all, "I lift cause I want to be strong. I don't need to be fast or skinny." Yeah, sure dude, you're still fat and you're not that strong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Loss of neck fat?!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
People lose fat in different areas at different rates.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm just saying unless they have some comically huge neck (which I can only seem to find on really fat fucks), the neck is not a place that appreciably stores any fat.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Henry Meowlins posted:

I'm just saying unless they have some comically huge neck (which I can only seem to find on really fat fucks), the neck is not a place that appreciably stores any fat.

My command was exclusive to the CT rating. That should tell you all you need to know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xwonderboyx posted:

My command was exclusive to the CT rating. That should tell you all you need to know.

Neck fat it is, then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So on my 2 mile run today, my 1.5 mile cardiovascular examination was satisfactory, but my half mile of heart at the end exceeded the standard.

Now that I'm done with this nonsense for another 6 months it's time to get back into gains mode.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

So on my 2 mile run today, my 1.5 mile cardiovascular examination was satisfactory, but my half mile of heart at the end exceeded the standard.

Now that I'm done with this nonsense for another 6 months it's time to get back into gains mode.

Get a 90, don't test for a year. That's a whole year of gains :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Everyone takes one every 6 months regardless of score in my unit. Besides, I'd take it anyway because that's the kind of leader I am :colbert:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Had a weekend long pain storm (Oorah reservist)

USMC pft (got 20x pull-ups, 100x crunches and a 21:35 3 mile run. Run could have been better)
500m swim
30 minutes of treading water
running all over the place
5.5 mile cross country ruck run with a 40# sand bag in 1:10
more running

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

psydude posted:

Everyone takes one every 6 months regardless of score in my unit. Besides, I'd take it anyway because that's the kind of leader I am :colbert:

Real leaders get fat, pencil whip their test, and then yell at their soldiers for being pussies when they don't max.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Real leaders get fat, pencil whip their test, and then yell at their soldiers for being pussies when they don't max.

-SGM's creed.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I just had my section sergeant pencil whip the gently caress out of my body fat test so I could go to school

"Hmm the computer doesn't round that right, lets measure you again and use the paper form."

Actual APFT is this Saturday. I am relatively sure that I will not pass the run.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

I just had my section sergeant pencil whip the gently caress out of my body fat test so I could go to school

"Hmm the computer doesn't round that right, lets measure you again and use the paper form."

Actual APFT is this Saturday. I am relatively sure that I will not pass the run.
I've seen people go to school with both a failing APFT and body fat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

I've seen people go to school with both a failing APFT and body fat.

We're refusing to send people to WLC if they aren't passing both. I just had two E4s lose their slots because they failed the run and regulations don't permit a retest for four months.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

psydude posted:

We're refusing to send people to WLC if they aren't passing both. I just had two E4s lose their slots because they failed the run and regulations don't permit a retest for four months.

Unless it is different in the RC, then it is they have 90 days to take and pass the APFT in order to no be chaptered. They can take the APFT prior to the 90 days at their personal discretion.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Unless it is different in the RC, then it is they have 90 days to take and pass the APFT in order to no be chaptered. They can take the APFT prior to the 90 days at their personal discretion.

BN YTG puts it at 4 months minimum between record APFTs. In order for a soldier to retake a failed APFT it takes approval from that level. I'm trying to get a retake scheduled for those two failures in June, however their slots have already been given to people who passed.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Note to self, don't let platoon smoke you on the last platoon pt session the day before an APFT. Most painful 2 miles I've ran in a while, couldn't really open up until the second mile, ended up coming in at 13:48, so I think I got a 292. I'll have to calculate it later since I just moved up to the 27-32 age bracket.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I never understood the obsession with PTing 2-3 days before a graded event like an APFT or Marine PFT/CFT. Like that last minute workout is going to magically make you ace the loving test.

Yep, they sure know how to set people up for success.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

elite_garbage_man posted:

I never understood the obsession with PTing 2-3 days before a graded event like an APFT or Marine PFT/CFT. Like that last minute workout is going to magically make you ace the loving test.

Yep, they sure know how to set people up for success.

See, I always do the opposite. Schedule the APFT for a Tuesday, PT the unit hard up through the Friday before, give 'em the weekend to recover. Come Monday, run a slow jog to somewhere inconspicuous and stretch/bullshit for 45 minutes, then jog back for release formation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I usually do a pretty nice long run 2-3 days before just to stay loose. I don't touch weights, though.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

GreenMeat posted:

See, I always do the opposite. Schedule the APFT for a Tuesday, PT the unit hard up through the Friday before, give 'em the weekend to recover. Come Monday, run a slow jog to somewhere inconspicuous and stretch/bullshit for 45 minutes, then jog back for release formation.
That's exactly how all my tests on Bragg went. Oh except the time we took it on a Friday and had to deal with the entire post doing formation runs. Almost every single one I passed screamed at me not to pass formations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had a drill sergeant bitch at me at FLW when I was taking one on the troop trail and I had to juke through a formation of trainees going about a half mile an hour on a ruck march. gently caress you, guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Yeah if I'm taking an APFT gently caress your rules, out of my way. No one will care if I got stuck behind a formation or whatever, id get whatever the stop watch says.