Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

MrTheDevious posted:

This is the best change in the history of Everquest. Half the time I didn't even loot because gently caress that poo poo.

I have so much of the poo poo in my banks because of my pack rat mentality thinking I might need it in the future, but it's all getting sold now.

I used to use /barter mode and sell some of it, but generally it's more of a pain than it's worth.

That's another thing for the newer players. If you go into the bazaar and type /barter it will bring up a window where you can pick items in your inventory and do a search to see if anyone in the blue zone of the bazaar is looking to buy them. Some people buy the tradeskill stuff (ores / herbs / uncut gems) for 1pp a pop, but sometimes they're buying them for like 40+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ckwiesr posted:

The best part of the patch is the fact that merchants will buy all the tradeskill poo poo now. gently caress you frugahematellalite.

Wow, finally! How much do they pay for it?

I would still recommend saving particularly Silk, Animal Pelt, Ore and Nigriventer/Goram poison components once you get to HoT or above content. You'll be thankful if you ever start doing tradeskills yourself, or you can sell them for some decent money - look for buyers via the /barter command in the baz.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

Another interesting thing I noticed, but can't really quantify without getting a dps parser is that for some odd reason it seems like I hit a Lot faster with the epic 1.0 worn instead of defiant gloves, even with the clicky running from bags now. It seems kind of odd, since from my understanding the h2h table should override the 1.0 hand stats at lvl 60.

Monk 1.0 epic changes fists into 9/16. Fists at 60 are on a delay of like 26 or something. With clicky effect going, that alone brings it down to a delay of 13. You likely have some worn haste around 30-40%, so your delay with 1.0 is probably around 10 (swing every second).

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Servers should have been up an hour ago correct?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Wow, finally! How much do they pay for it?

I would still recommend saving particularly Silk, Animal Pelt, Ore and Nigriventer/Goram poison components once you get to HoT or above content. You'll be thankful if you ever start doing tradeskills yourself, or you can sell them for some decent money - look for buyers via the /barter command in the baz.

I started saving a bunch of the poison drops after seeing this patch message hit test a little bit ago, and sold it all yesterday, other than the good stuff that makes the hate/nuke procs. Pretty disappointing - about 1-2pp per.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

meat gnome posted:

I started saving a bunch of the poison drops after seeing this patch message hit test a little bit ago, and sold it all yesterday, other than the good stuff that makes the hate/nuke procs. Pretty disappointing - about 1-2pp per.

Better than having to micromanage your looting / inventory.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Better than having to micromanage your looting / inventory.

Seriously a glorious thing, might finally get to put that loot all button to use.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm surprised they haven't improved vendoring yet. Click item, click sell, click item, click sell, especially with the huge bags you can get these days, with 10 inventory slots, is ridiculous. I'd be very happy with just WoW's implementation of "right click to sell when in a vendor window".

Does anyone have an educated guess as to when / if they put expansions on sale/discount? Or will VoA stay $40.00 until the next one comes out? I'd really like pick up VoA just for clickies from bags, but it's not worth full price to me since I'm nowhere near level 90, and not in a rush to get there. I mean, with Wal-mart cards and double sc, it's already down to about $15.00, but if it's just going to go to half-price in a month, I can wait.

Edit:

The337th posted:

Seriously a glorious thing, might finally get to put that loot all button to use.

Nerium told me about this the other day - shift + right-click. Automatically goes into loot window, loots everything, then closes corpse.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I'd say your best bet is just buying it with SC you've picked up with the double bonus.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

Monk 1.0 epic changes fists into 9/16. Fists at 60 are on a delay of like 26 or something. With clicky effect going, that alone brings it down to a delay of 13. You likely have some worn haste around 30-40%, so your delay with 1.0 is probably around 10 (swing every second).

Yeah I remember it working like that in the old days. It's just that I read on monkly business that when the standard h2h ratio surpasses the epic one (at lvl 60), it's supposed to override the 1.0 hands, but either it doesn't or there's something else that's wonky going on. Impossible to really know for sure since current info is so hard to come by now, and probably won't matter for too long anyway once I get to lvl 70 or so and get better weapons. I guess I'll download a dps parser and try to figure out what is going on there just for funsies.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ckwiesr posted:

Servers should have been up an hour ago correct?

No, the patcher is wrong. The servers are down 5am pst to 8am pst. Not 3->6

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

Yeah I remember it working like that in the old days. It's just that I read on monkly business that when the standard h2h ratio surpasses the epic one (at lvl 60), it's supposed to override the 1.0 hands, but either it doesn't or there's something else that's wonky going on. Impossible to really know for sure since current info is so hard to come by now, and probably won't matter for too long anyway once I get to lvl 70 or so and get better weapons. I guess I'll download a dps parser and try to figure out what is going on there just for funsies.

Huh, I hadn't heard that. In "the old days", that'd be a Very Bad Thing, as while ratio matters for offhand, for mainhand you wanted the fast weapon (to apply damage bonus more often). I don't know if that's still true or not.

And you don't need a DPS parser. Take off all weapons. Click off all haste. Don't use epic clicky haste. Type "/log on". "/say Starting defiant test". Hit mob. Wait for 4-5 rounds of swings. "/say Starting epic test". Put on epic 1.0. Swing for 4-5 rounds, then type "/log off".

Then just open your Everquest folder, go to the logs folder, and open the log file. Look at the seconds time stamp. You probably already know this, but 10 delay = 1 second, so from there you can easily see what's going on. This method will be better than a DPS parser, as too many random things can throw off a DPS reading in EQ (bad luck in misses, dodges, run of min hits, etc).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Servers are still down? I can't get on.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Yup, it has been over 2 hours since the servers were supposed to be back up, and they're still locked for me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's my day off, it's only natural the servers would be down.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

It's my day off, it's only natural the servers would be down.

So everyone can blame you for the extended downtime. Way to go, jerk!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bahanahab posted:

Yup, it has been over 2 hours since the servers were supposed to be back up, and they're still locked for me.

Weird. The servers are up on my screen and I'm in, but POK is down so I can't log into the character I wanted to play

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I was in game, but zones started crashing. PoK was down when I logged in, then PoD went down, then Paineel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All servers are apparently locked now.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Awesome bugginess abound since the servers were opened this morning. Popping a Rogue merc was crashing zones, so I'm sure the servers aren't going to be reopened til they fix that huge stability/exploit issue.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The337th posted:

Awesome bugginess abound since the servers were opened this morning. Popping a Rogue merc was crashing zones, so I'm sure the servers aren't going to be reopened til they fix that huge stability/exploit issue.

Wow. How does this happen? It's loving 2012. Are they running the game with $30k/year devs that are still in college?

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I was on yesterday in the guild hall when my character got stuck in there. Every time I'd login, the game would instantly start having my character go linkdead, making it so I couldn't zone or gate out. I also had the rogue merc up at the time.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Wow. How does this happen? It's loving 2012. Are they running the game with $30k/year devs that are still in college?

Nah, they just steal away the best of the devs and shuttle them off to the new hot SoE projects, and leave EQ running with whatever barebones dev team they can get by on.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the blame is just on a game as old as this, being coded the way it was, and built on since then. Going by several Dev accounts, it's apparently pretty easy for the simplest of changes to majorly break things.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

cycomatix posted:

I was on yesterday in the guild hall when my character got stuck in there. Every time I'd login, the game would instantly start having my character go linkdead, making it so I couldn't zone or gate out. I also had the rogue merc up at the time.

I was curious...good to hear that's not just me. Stuck in the guild hall, rogue merc up, going linkdead immediately every time I'm able to log in. Looks like they may have deleted rogue mercs, too, because it was no longer up when I logged in and it says I don't own any mercenaries when I try to open the tab.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm kind of curious if the rogue mercs were the root of the entire problem earlier, since it seemed zone crashes were linked to busier zones. The Guild Lobby was basically perma-crashing, with pok not far behind, while remote zones seemed fine.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The337th posted:

Nah, they just steal away the best of the devs and shuttle them off to the new hot SoE projects, and leave EQ running with whatever barebones dev team they can get by on.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the blame is just on a game as old as this, being coded the way it was, and built on since then. Going by several Dev accounts, it's apparently pretty easy for the simplest of changes to majorly break things.

After 13 years of patches and expansions, with probably many different people each adding their contributions and fixes and moving on, it's a miracle that it works at all. I remember hearing from someone who worked on it, maybe it was at a fan faire, that he found some code that was causing stability issues and nobody knew what it was actually for, so he eventually removed that code entirely, fixed the issue and couldn't see any sort of difference otherwise.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This all makes me sad :(

These things are overcome-able, and even an old code-base can be gradually improved over time. But those require continuous investment into the product - not just life support.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

This all makes me sad :(

These things are overcome-able, and even an old code-base can be gradually improved over time. But those require continuous investment into the product - not just life support.

It blew my mind when they actually added bigger bags into the game, because they swore up and down for years that it was impossible, it would corrupt the character database, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc.

The SKlug guy was awesome and fixed/added a ton of stuff but then he got pulled to EQNext :(

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Have you guys never played an MMO before? Almost all MMO patch days are like this. It's pretty much industry standard that patch days are days not to play. And then if something major goes wrong with the patch as happened here it normally takes a few days for it to resolve itself.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

Have you guys never played an MMO before? Almost all MMO patch days are like this. It's pretty much industry standard that patch days are days not to play. And then if something major goes wrong with the patch as happened here it normally takes a few days for it to resolve itself.

Just because the majority of the industry sucks dick at releasing software, doesn't mean it should be acceptable as a level of service.

FWIW, last time I played WoW heavily (late Lich King and first tier of Cataclysm), while patch days were long, I don't recall them way over-extending past projected downtime hours typically, and definitely not issues of "patch out! oh god, bugs everywhere! emergency downtime! oh nevermind, patch tomorrow! patching done! oh god bugs everywhere still!".

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
EQ is definitely retarded, but this is not normal for stuff like this to happen. Normally its patch day, oh servers are down slightly longer than Sony said, okay then you can play. Yesterday's patch was breaking everything, instances, mercs, equipment, and that isn't normal at all. Then the patch to fix that patch was broken, so we need another patch or Xzibit now.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
"Firiona Vie is what feudal Europe was like before kings came along. Robber Barons locking down everything" -BeowulfGallant.

As resident Potion Baron of FV, I thought I would share a few tips now that it's down to the wire for turn-ins (And apparently people are still on FV, I thought I was the last one for awhile.)

This is a pretty fast and quick way to get your bankroll up at low levels since each potion sells for 28-35k depending on how far away from anniversary we are. How else are you going to afford the robber baron's 2 million PP raid gear?!

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3068

Random tips:

-Most of these are zero effort and take about 2-3 mins to gather. I bring 10 traders satchels and collect 10 components at a time.

-The only real roadblocks to progress are LOIO bloodgoblins and the goblin fort in warslicks. If they're camped, just go do something else and come back later. When you get LOIO bloodgills, farm as many as your heart desires.

-The turn in is a pain in the rear end because it's 1 per character. Get around this with a campfire fellowship to port in your level 1 alts, or have a mage COTH you. What I do is bind a wizard at crescent reach spawn zone, make 2-3 alts, then port them to my bind point at the quest NPC.

-bazaar components per potion go for around 10k it seems, so once you start selling potions if you're lazy you can just start buying potion components, doing the turnin, and then selling the product at double. It's a really easy quest aside from bloodgills though.

-The end result of doing this quest on and off for about 5 days is basically double exp bonus (FV has a 50% default bonus...so 300%?) for life, and hopefully enough to snag a few solid raid gear items I've had my eyes on.

Basically I'm everything that's wrong with the FV server.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2012

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Will you be my Firiona sugar daddy, with all your rich potion stuffs, I'm a girl on Firiona so buy me raid gear :wink:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Pon de Bundy posted:

Will you be my Firiona sugar daddy, with all your rich potion stuffs, I'm a girl on Firiona so buy me raid gear :wink:

I want a "make it rain" effect where I throw a thousand platinum into the air and all the fine elf chicks go wild and take off their robes and wizard hats

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

From chats with Elidroth, they do want to fix things like spells/buff stacking. But the amount of code time that would take just winds up being too much. EQ is pretty much 15 years worth of hacks from many different coders and teams on top of a base written by some neckbeards in their basement.

There is a very small number of devs, each sort of has an area with a lot of overlap in the content/raid design area and not much else. 1 dev on AAs, 1 dev on spells, 1 dev on items, the dev who's working on epic ornaments gets put on all the special content, plus 2-3 dev who only seem to do expansion content. The QA and response from some of them is loving terrible and only one actively gets feedback from players. Only AAs have a chance of being tuned from feedback, items may get bugs fixed, spells may get some bugs fixed in early beta but are never touched again.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Just because the majority of the industry sucks dick at releasing software, doesn't mean it should be acceptable as a level of service.

FWIW, last time I played WoW heavily (late Lich King and first tier of Cataclysm), while patch days were long, I don't recall them way over-extending past projected downtime hours typically, and definitely not issues of "patch out! oh god, bugs everywhere! emergency downtime! oh nevermind, patch tomorrow! patching done! oh god bugs everywhere still!".

WoW was/is notorious for terrible patch days. I'm not saying that it should be acceptable for poo poo like this to happen, but it's funny to see patches go smoothly 9/10 times, and that 10th time where something does go wrong all the RAAAAAAAAAAGE that ensues.

poo poo happens, put your mouse and keyboard down for a few hours and come back. The worlds not out to get you.

EDIT: I also think you massively underestimate the complexity of PATCHING a game. That means your changing some of the code, but not all of it. I took very little programming in college, and I can tell you it's pretty easy to massively gently caress yourself over by changing a small bit of code. Factor in the fact that this is a 13 year old game that's probably seen 100+ different programmers, and it's not hard to realize poo poo is going happen sometimes.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

WoW was/is notorious for terrible patch days. I'm not saying that it should be acceptable for poo poo like this to happen, but it's funny to see patches go smoothly 9/10 times, and that 10th time where something does go wrong all the RAAAAAAAAAAGE that ensues.

poo poo happens, put your mouse and keyboard down for a few hours and come back. The worlds not out to get you.

EDIT: I also think you massively underestimate the complexity of PATCHING a game. That means your changing some of the code, but not all of it. I took very little programming in college, and I can tell you it's pretty easy to massively gently caress yourself over by changing a small bit of code.

FWIW, I'm not (and I don't think anyone else here is) raging over this. Hell, I couldn't play right now anyways (I'm at work).

And I assure you, I don't underestimate it. I took four years of software development in college, as well as 8-9 years of experience now. Not saying I'm the best software developer out there evarz, but I know what it requires, and even the most complicated of releases can be streamlined, if you'll invest the money into it (and can fight through the politics, depending on the company).

The real problem isn't "oh it's so hard noone can do this smoothly", it's that they (apparently) don't feel there's a cost/return ratio worthwhile enough to invest on proper software development techniques that can mitigate 99% of these issues. Even teams I've worked on that did spend that investment, it still takes continuous improvement and refinement, with skilled and passionate (and not cheap) engineers.

But once a piece of software is in the "touch as little as possible, because who knows WTF that does" state, it's pretty much the death toll for it. It may die slowly, but it's not going to be able to grow and mature properly.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Doesn't this poo poo go on the test server though? Isn't that what the test server is for?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Except for the major patches for expansions and f2p, patches have been pretty smooth for EQ over the past year. Mostly just some downtime once a month with some login server downtime for maintenance or rats eating through cables.

Most of the bugs from test get pushed live then fixed 1-3-never months later, but hey, no extra downtime unless it's game breaking!

The best example is all the bugs from the design lock in beta that were reported were pushed to test for a week, reported again, then pushed live, reported again, and slowly fixed or ignored in patches after that. Test server seems more for stability testing than actually catching game bugs.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jetz0r posted:

Most of the bugs from test get pushed live then fixed 1-3-never months later, but hey, no extra downtime unless it's game breaking!

Lol, I definitely remember that. Back when me and my friends played in college, we'd talk about the "Verant vs Players" mentality that was often felt. If there was a bug that made a player's life more difficult, you were lucky if it ever got fixed. However if there was something that'd give a player even the tiniest of advantages in a very specific situation - boom, hotfix!