Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
^^^Yea I'm thinking putting the delay after the gain or even in a separate loop might help with the feedback problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Probably the worst photo ever taken of the shiniest loving thing I own, but whatevs, I've finally got a delay, which means I've got basically all the major effect categories covered. Now if only I had a proper pedalboard. And also to figure out how to keep the delay from feeding back on itself. I am music's worst criminal.

(Also, if cash holds out in the near future, I'm getting a loving Rainbow Machine. I might as well sound as ridiculous as possible, it's not like I'm gigging.)

As others have said, putting the delay after distortion is a good idea and will help with feedback problems. Generally delay is one of the last things to go in a pedal chain. And turning down regen will reduce feedback as well obviously.

Also I have a rainbow machine and I love it. It's not the most usable or versatile pedal ever, but it's definitely fun to use.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The real answer is to get two delays so you have one before and after dirt. Also self-oscillating delay feedbacking is the best thing ever and the reason I've got a feedback looper.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, it's not so much feedback as the pedal regenerating itself until such time as you turn it off, as opposed to the amp feeding back, but I do see the point. I had it back there to dick with it, mostly, but hadn't figured out exactly where to have it in the final setup. As I look at it now, it'll probably go in between the flange and the reverb, which are the last two in the current chain. What would the wiring be for putting it in its own loop, as forever suggested? I'm really still learning all this, most of you guys have probably bought multiple pedals of one type over time and swapped them in and out as you liked best, the only pedal I've replaced thus far was swapping my stock DS-1 for a Keeley mod DS-1.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

You'd need to have an amp with an effects loop built into it. It's a bit more hassle to set it up that way but it's the cleanest place to put a delay unit. Basically you have your other pedals going into the input of the amp like normal, then you have another cable coming out of the effect loop output (which will give you the signal after it's been boosted by the pre-amp) going into your delay unit and then back into the effects loop input where it gets processed by the power amp and then goes to the speaker.

That results in a cleaner sound because the echoes aren't getting boosted by the pre-amp. It's not necessary though, you're totally fine just putting it near the end of your pedal chain.

I have the same delay pedal, by the way, and it does like to self-oscillate a lot. You just have to keep the regen knob backed off a bit. Having a short delay time also increases the feedback, so if you turn it down you might have to tweak the regen to compensate.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Gordon Cole posted:

analog delay oscillation stuff

if you want crazy feedback and self-oscillation, get a Polychorus.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

no pics but i recently got an audiobox usb interface and a zoom h1. found sound and low latency here i cum

e: thinking of replacing my remote sl with an impulse. thoughts?

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
ebay comes through again, picked up a used 16" triple-zone Alesis ride cymbal for $90.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Not a purchase, so much as a "parents' neighbor moved and didn't have a place for it so it's mine now"... A Tascam 388 8-track reel-to-reel recorder that so far seems to be in perfect working order! (I haven't gotten a tape yet to see how the recording goes but the audio works).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I decided the Clavia Nord Lead sound wasn't for me, and that instead should get some FM synthesis. Managed to trade a Lead Rack 1 for these two:

The TX81z is heard in every dance hit of the 90's, really feels like a one-trick pony with the TG77 for company, gonna sell it off because money means more than stacking and panning eight micro-detuned LatelyBass.

Heck if I know what the TG77 is famous for, but it is freaking marvellous. Feels good to finally find the form that fits my sound (which is 6 operator FM synthesis).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
On Friday I go to pick up a new toy. I have been playing on a PRS SE for awhile and went around playing a bit and found I love this thing.

2012 American Fender Strat (either in this lovely color or Jade metallic .. still not sure).

Keeping the PRS as well, will toy around with the pups and probably change the pots (tone pot is terrible).

Just to say, that strat felt so nice in my hands and played so well (and I am not that great).

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003

Shovelbearer posted:

Not a purchase, so much as a "parents' neighbor moved and didn't have a place for it so it's mine now"... A Tascam 388 8-track reel-to-reel recorder that so far seems to be in perfect working order! (I haven't gotten a tape yet to see how the recording goes but the audio works).

These are AWESOME. Make sure to clean and de-magnetittieze the heads.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

The TX81z is heard in every dance hit of the 90's, really feels like a one-trick pony with the TG77 for company, gonna sell it off because money means more than stacking and panning eight micro-detuned LatelyBass.

Heck if I know what the TG77 is famous for, but it is freaking marvellous. Feels good to finally find the form that fits my sound (which is 6 operator FM synthesis).

I used to have one of these (TX81z), it was pretty decent and I found it at Goodwill for $20. However since it never got used I decided to sell it and got $80 for it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Heck if I know what the TG77 is famous for, but it is freaking marvellous.

Skinny Puppy used it a lot circa Too Dark Park, the bass on Spasmolytic is a preset.
I've had mine for a couple of years, great synth if you have an editor. Routing modulation to modwheel/aftertouch/etc can be frustrating, for example modulating filter disables its envelope, or you can have the envelope + the modulation value at the time of triggering etc.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

On Friday I go to pick up a new toy. I have been playing on a PRS SE for awhile and went around playing a bit and found I love this thing.

2012 American Fender Strat (either in this lovely color or Jade metallic .. still not sure).

Keeping the PRS as well, will toy around with the pups and probably change the pots (tone pot is terrible).

Just to say, that strat felt so nice in my hands and played so well (and I am not that great).

Fender did good with the 2012s, the CS Fat 50's are a good sounding set of pickups.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I kind of impulse bought this off Hello Music after losing out on a Boss OS-2 on ebay when I was in dire need of a distortion/overdrive pedal...and oh god I love it so much :)

The Octava is sort of meh on it's own, but on top of the fuzz + overdrive it sounds pretty sick.

Specs: http://www.pigtronix.com/products/disnortion/

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey goons. As soon as my tax return comes through, I am going to be buying myself a Martin D12X1AE.

Done pretty extensive research, and have played this guy already. Played a few Taylors and Takamines as well, just for reference. Anyone else got this guitar? I can't loving wait to own a 12 string again. My father has a Martin D15 12 string, all mahogany that I absolutely love as well. But, money is definitely an issue. This baby is looking good at $599, and I can deal with it not being all solid wood.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

One of these.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fappenmeister posted:

One of these.

Looks awesome, but what is it? What does it do?

In other news, as previously reported as possibly happening, this happened:

Don't try and play Flaming Lips songs without one. Or five.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Allen Wren posted:

It does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIhgX6TCcaE

it's based on some old Colorsound Overdriver pedal with a few extra thingies. I couldn't resist it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Man the finishes on everything BAT does are so good, but especially the Black Forest. Cool pedals too, nice buy.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Allen Wren posted:

Please post some demos of that Rainbow Machine, you've piqued my interest!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My first mixer was a Mackie 1202. I sold that so I could buy a 16 channel Alesis Studio 32. Turns out that thing was junk, as the channels would bleed into one another. So that was sold, and I bought a Mackie 1604.

Then I realized I was using it as a glorified volume knob, so I sold that and went mixerless. Now I miss having a stage mixer, so I'm going back to the beginning and getting one of these:

I'm so excited. It's so portable :swoon:

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

SuspectedIdiot posted:

A set of Gibraltar suspension mounts for my new DIY electronic drum kit:

A junky 10" snare drum to be converted to electronic use for a side snare (eBay auction pic):

I won't be able to play the completed kit until I move in late June, but it also means I have a lot of time to scour eBay for deals on cheap full-size cymbal pads and a hi-hat controller.

drat, seems like a pretty ambitious DIY kit. Looks like a perfect drum to convert to an electric though. What kind of heads are you going to try and wrap around that snare?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I made a happy family!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

tehschulman posted:

I made a happy family!

Me too!

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!

Bagsack posted:

drat, seems like a pretty ambitious DIY kit. Looks like a perfect drum to convert to an electric though. What kind of heads are you going to try and wrap around that snare?

I'l already got a set of Ballistech IIs from Billy Blast Drums, going to wrap them with flat black contact paper since it won't be moved around much.

e: ugh, the guy I bought the cymbal I mentioned earlier from relisted it after I had paid him (how does that even happen?) and sent me the wrong cymbal. What's weird is the relisted version of the auction ended and sold for less than what I had paid initially. He said he'll exchange it for me, but I don't even know if he even has the correct cymbal any more. :argh:

internetpizza fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 10, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
My Heil PR-30b just came in:
`

So far I haven't been able to test it but hopefully I'll get some time tonight, will update with sound test.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Update: This mic kicks a whole lot of rear end.

I first tried it on my electric guitar cab. It has a super full sound with really detailed high and low end. It sounded best clean, with a lot of gain I think I'd still prefer the 57 but I got my best tone with the 2 combined.

Then I tried on my acoustic. This is where this mic really shined. It has such a warm detailed low end and really good off axis rejection. This will literally be my go to mic for acoustic guitars every time. I compared it to an SM81 and it absolutely blew it away.

I tried it next on Banjo, I compared it to the 81 again which is first choice usually. I tried from about 18 inches then 12 inches, last from about 3 inches. I really could have easily used any of those sounds but I ended up liking the 81 best close mic'ed.

I have yet to try it on vox but I'm pretty hopeful since it's actually a vocal mic.

So far this mic owns, I have a recording gig doing a wind ensemble soon and I expect it to see lots of use there.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Two weeks ago I put down a deposit for one of these beauties. Popped into the shop again this morning and it still hasn't turned up yet, apparently it was about to be dispatched this morning. The wait is killing me, but after over a year of waiting just for the thing to be available in the UK, then raising funds, a few more days shouldn't make much difference... I still feel empty without it though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Got this two months ago but it's taken a while to get new pickups, tuners, etc and get them installed. Finally put the finishing touches on it last night (crappy cell phone picks incoming):

It's an Ibanez Artist 7 string. Threw Dimarzios (Air Norton/D Activator) in it, installed Schaller mini locking tuners, and got it wired for a coil tap. For $500 brand new, plus the upgrades it plays really well and looks fantastic. My only gripe is that I wish the toggle switch was on top like on Gibsons, but it's not a huge deal.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Just got one of these to fill in the random blanks in my pedal setup - this thing is crazy addictive for noodling around on.

100 different customizable effects of all kinds (distortions, delays, mods, reverbs, and filters), and quite a few of them actually sound really good. What's really cool is that it's got an expression pedal input too, that beyond controlling the various wah models, can be set to control any parameter for any of the other effects too (even multiple parameters of the same effect).

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Got a Sovtek Mig100 and a custom name plate for it. :)

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

ethan posted:

Got a Sovtek Mig100 and a custom name plate for it. :)

That's great! Where did you get the plate from?

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

fappenmeister posted:

That's great! Where did you get the plate from?

Sandy from Precision Designs in Indiana, she does great work!

http://www.precisiondesignin.com/

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just got one of these to fill in the random blanks in my pedal setup - this thing is crazy addictive for noodling around on.

100 different customizable effects of all kinds (distortions, delays, mods, reverbs, and filters), and quite a few of them actually sound really good. What's really cool is that it's got an expression pedal input too, that beyond controlling the various wah models, can be set to control any parameter for any of the other effects too (even multiple parameters of the same effect).

I got one of these a little while back and I love it for all the reasons you just described. I was going to buy the Line 6 reverb pedal and thought: for the same price why not just get this thing? No remorse here. That expression pedal thing is really great.

Getting something tomorrow: will post.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Getting something really really awesome tomorrow! Will update!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

JohnnySmitch posted:

I just got one for the same reason - got it from a dude for $99, still had the plastic on the screen. Plunked it between my dirt pedals (SD-1, TS-9, and RAT) and my modulation stuff (chorus, Echo Park, Verbzilla) so I can use it for either. Right now I've got it doing a phaser, mod delay, tremolo, and occasionally the smart harmonizer, but it does a few decent dirt sounds, too.

It's useful without being too much crazy digital stuff. I can actually imagine gigging with just it, using my amp for most of the overdrive sounds and this in the effects loop for everything else.

It's got a ton of weird effects as well, but I've not had much of a chance to really mess with those.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
Got my tax return, went to go buy strings, saw this guy in the window and couldn't pass it up. Now I'm one step closer to fulfilling my dream of starting a Man or Astro-man? tribute band!

50's Sears guitar, I'm the second owner apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the body plastic? How does it play and sound?