Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX

Xguard86 posted:

That seems frustrating.

It is. Last year the limit was 5. They're trying to push people to fight a bit more conservatively and correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
The advice I've heard for collar chokes in a t-shirt was to grab the collar and use your fingers to pull his shirt up until it's all bunched/twisted up at his neck. Apparently this was effective in old no-gi BJJ matches when you were allowed to grab fabric.

I'd imagine you could do something similar on your feet, especially if you trained it and could do it very quickly, though I'm not sure it would be effective enough for a throw. More relevantly though, you can still use shirt grips to pull someone around in order to set up a foot sweep or takedown or a no-gi throw. I'd imagine this requires a lot less tensile strength than is required to actually grab a lapel and sling you across the room with it, but then it's probably risky to rely too much on it?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
A shirt is a GI for about one throw, and on the street, that's all you should need.

Also, Wing Chun can suck my balls. I have done WC and of course it wasn't the 'real' WC, but nonetheless, nothing applies ever.

except sticky hands in BJJ for shadowing their arms when you're recovering guard or whatever. But that's not a WC skill, its pattycake.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I wouldn't trust t shirts to keep from ripping for a throw but I've had success grabbing a big handful of collar and using it to choke people out from mount. Definitely ruins the shirt, of course.

For nogi gripping I've actually come up with a new grip that no one else uses, which simulates lapel grips way better than over/unders, collar&elbow, and even the russian 2on1. I'm very excited, because it seems to open up nogi to judo in a totally new way: I don't have to devote any of my focus to making those constant minor postural/strategic adjustments to compensate for nogi's weird grips anymore! I can just do judo like we practice in class and opponents go flying. I'm not limited to shooting vs our wrestlers, and even in gi grappling it's letting me dominate in both standing and groundwork. In fact, no one's found a counter to it yet, and it's completely changed the game where I train. It's been such a huge improvement to my grappling that I've actually been trying to keep quiet about it, but I feel like that's a bit selfish, so if anyone's interested I'd be happy to talk a bit more about it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A flying piece of posted:

It is. Last year the limit was 5. They're trying to push people to fight a bit more conservatively and correctly.

Yeah, I'm glad they eliminated double loses in epee about 40 years ago (back when score was touches against).

Not bad, by the way. When you switch guards your defense is affected and weren't countering quickly enough off of the switch. I'm thinking that last touch for your opponent, but also the touch he scored before that could count too.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

A flying piece of posted:

I lurk in here and occasionally post HEMA stuff, so here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqA4_Mk897U

This is from a tournament in Houston a month ago. I start on the left. We end up doubling out, meaning we hit each each other at the same time 3 times over the course of the match and both had a loss recorded.

Man HEMA always looks so much better (or exciting) to me than Kendo. I'm not sure what it is.

Sucks about the double loss, must be really frustrating. What do you think about that rule? I can see the sense in it but man double losses..

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 12, 2012

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

Man HEMA always looks so much better (or exciting) to me than Kendo. I'm not sure what it is.

Sucks about the double loss, must be really frustrating. What do you think about that rule? I can see the sense in it but man double losses..

I support the idea of punishing double hits, but I'm not sure double losses are the way to go. They make bracket tournaments a giant pain in the rear end and can mean that the final match ends in a double loss. However, it's the best way we have so far. The top fighters can consistently fight each other without incurring any notable amounts of double hits, so it's definitely an attainable goal.

Last year, at our event in Maryland, double hits were recorded and held against you when we figured out who was going to progress from the pool stages to the eliminations, but did not affect an individual match. In Sweden last year, having an average of 5 double hits in the pool phases totally barred you from progressing to eliminations. There are a few different approaches out there, but each has its flaws.

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 12, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's also a hilarious reminder how dangerous that stuff would really be, the bottom guys in a tournament would all be dead.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

It's also a hilarious reminder how dangerous that stuff would really be, the bottom guys in a tournament would all be dead.

This is also part of why we want to keep punishing them. We want people to fight with them like they're actual weapons, not plastic or blunt steel.

You'll also usually see something called the afterblow rule. If someone hits you, you generally have one step, a tempo or whatever the hosts call it to hit the other guy back and negate his point. You're supposed to be able to hit someone and exit cleanly or wrap him up for a short time. Very few hits are immediately debilitating.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

I wouldn't trust t shirts to keep from ripping for a throw but I've had success grabbing a big handful of collar and using it to choke people out from mount. Definitely ruins the shirt, of course.

For nogi gripping I've actually come up with a new grip that no one else uses, which simulates lapel grips way better than over/unders, collar&elbow, and even the russian 2on1. I'm very excited, because it seems to open up nogi to judo in a totally new way: I don't have to devote any of my focus to making those constant minor postural/strategic adjustments to compensate for nogi's weird grips anymore! I can just do judo like we practice in class and opponents go flying. I'm not limited to shooting vs our wrestlers, and even in gi grappling it's letting me dominate in both standing and groundwork. In fact, no one's found a counter to it yet, and it's completely changed the game where I train. It's been such a huge improvement to my grappling that I've actually been trying to keep quiet about it, but I feel like that's a bit selfish, so if anyone's interested I'd be happy to talk a bit more about it.

I can't find it for the life of me, but I saw a t-shirt choke demonstrated where you grab inside the collar, and then bunch up the shirt into your hand (ideally going all the way to the end of the shirt, so you have a strong grip to choke with.

Also, spill the beans man! If you've got some technology, share it with the class!

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

I can't find it for the life of me, but I saw a t-shirt choke demonstrated where you grab inside the collar, and then bunch up the shirt into your hand (ideally going all the way to the end of the shirt, so you have a strong grip to choke with.

Also, spill the beans man! If you've got some technology, share it with the class!

You just grab the skin like you would a lapel!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

McNerd posted:

Meh. I'm not a wrestler but it seems quite close enough.

A competent wrestler, against a comparatively untrained opponent, has pretty much won the fight if he's pinned you, hasn't he? He can either hold you for all eternity or, surely, find some way to work punches in without completely losing position (after all, he has forever to think that problem through while his opponent is helplessly pinned, losing stamina from desperate escape attempts, and probably having a hard time breathing).

And that's assuming that a hard takedown on a non-mat surface hasn't already won the fight. (I guess you can turn that around and talk about how many wrestling techniques are too hard on the knees for concrete, but I don't think that problem is insurmountable and of course it applies to BJJ too.)

Wrestling allows you to hurt people in the same way that football or weightlifting or soccer do. It's better than those for a fight, but it's still along the same lines. Not all wrestling teaches high amplitude throws so the takedown isn't guaranteed to injure and striking from the ground is less effective than it might seem. There's a reason that wrestlers in mma have a reputation for lay and pray. The big thing about wrestling is that it allows you to control where the fight plays out, and if you have wrestling over someone you can grind out a match over however many rounds there are. In a real fight it has the standard problem that you can only fight one person at a time but you can at least stay on your feet to run.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have an important derail. Zombie apocalypse preparation.

Long distance running would be good, parkour especially.

The Walking Dead makes me think that archery would be pretty good for picking off single zombies with reusable ammunition. Longbow or crossbow, though? A crossbow would be better in a tight space, I guess. And probably wouldn't take as long to learn, either. A longbow you could reload faster, but you'd still have to pick your shots pretty carefully because anything other than a headshot would be worthless.

I figure a little bit of wrestling and grappling would be useful for when you really thoroughly gently caress up and have to wrestle a zombie off you, but otherwise, what? Maybe swords or axes or something? HEMA type stuff? FMA? I wouldn't want to be punching zombies.

I hope you will all treat this serious topic with the respect that it deserves, tia

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I hope you will all treat this serious topic with the respect that it deserves, tia

Scuba suit, football helmet, gloves, combat boots and a baseball bat. There you go, problem solved.

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have an important derail. Zombie apocalypse preparation.

Long distance running would be good, parkour especially.

The Walking Dead makes me think that archery would be pretty good for picking off single zombies with reusable ammunition. Longbow or crossbow, though? A crossbow would be better in a tight space, I guess. And probably wouldn't take as long to learn, either. A longbow you could reload faster, but you'd still have to pick your shots pretty carefully because anything other than a headshot would be worthless.

I figure a little bit of wrestling and grappling would be useful for when you really thoroughly gently caress up and have to wrestle a zombie off you, but otherwise, what? Maybe swords or axes or something? HEMA type stuff? FMA? I wouldn't want to be punching zombies.

Wing Chun because...:downs:

More seriously though, I'd say Judo, a baseball bat and clothing you can't bite through.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I am going to have to second the parkour idea. I can't think of anything better for getting away from shambling hordes than lots of practice climbing things and jumping gaps without breaking stride.

Judo, Sambo, or Greco-Roman wrestling would probably be the best grappling arts, since they focus on throwing your opponent without nessicarily going to the ground with them. But they also assume that your opponent will follow the "no biting" ruleset.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
You guys are wrong. I'd train in agriculture and carpenting. I'd make a farm with big walls and live happily ever after.

I'd also build the best judo dojo ever and train there so I can do triangle chokes to zombie while I stab their head.

--

On a more serious note,

I have found a new "combo" that I really like and wanted opinions on it. Lately I've been doing Hiza guruma a lot and quite often when I fail, I end up on the ground in the perfect position to attack an armbar. I did this randomly at first, but I'm now actually working on it and it's working surprisingly well. Anyone works on standing to groundwork combos and any opinion on them?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 13, 2012

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Haha thanks. I want a legitimate chess victory btw.

Alright so basically it's an arm triangle to the opponent's bicep. I usually enter off an arm drag, slip my hands in, and then clamp down above the elbow like I'm trying to finish a RNC. Opponents feel like they can reach their far arm over to leg pick/hit you but leaning weight on their shoulder will turn them away. At this point the big leg reap is basically guaranteed if they pull/step backwards, but you can also do everything from inner thigh throws to flying armbars. The real key to the grip is that it lets you lift people off balance with the same hip action and shoulder squareness that's the source of the judo player's strength in gi standup.

Some combos I'm reliably hitting:
Left Arm Triangle: Lean on shoulder>knee wheel>big inside reap>inner thigh throw
Right Arm Triangle: Big outside reap>advancing footsweep>body drop
Following footsweep>shoulder throw>small inner reap>flying armbar

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well folks, y'all will be glad to know I went ahead and signed up for muay thai. Hope the classes aren't lovely cause it's the worst smelling martial arts gym I've been to so far.

Also, I mentioned that I wanted to do judo too, and I still do. But some of the stories I've heard about getting torn ligaments/tendons makes me a little worried seeing as how I don't have health insurance. :(

Change my mind, guys!

Also, related, this looks pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_VuZRrBoo

Dunno what that is, but it's what I was hoping jujitsu would consist of (with the striking added, I mean).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, I mentioned that I wanted to do judo too, and I still do. But some of the stories I've heard about getting torn ligaments/tendons makes me a little worried seeing as how I don't have health insurance. :(

Don't do martial arts without health insurance. Especially Judo.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, related, this looks pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_VuZRrBoo

Dunno what that is, but it's what I was hoping jujitsu would consist of (with the striking added, I mean).

It looks like loving bullshit to me. Aikido skirts, handwraps and steven seagal bandana's; I really don't think I need to look further, unless they're like actual magic users instead of pretend ninja's. Oh ok, compliant partner drills out the rear end;
"punch the area in front of my face and hang out there for a minute while I do seventeen techniques in the air in front of you" is the kind of training that does not work.

*Goes straight to Bullshido*

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

Haha thanks. I want a legitimate chess victory btw.

Alright so basically it's an arm triangle to the opponent's bicep. I usually enter off an arm drag, slip my hands in, and then clamp down above the elbow like I'm trying to finish a RNC. Opponents feel like they can reach their far arm over to leg pick/hit you but leaning weight on their shoulder will turn them away. At this point the big leg reap is basically guaranteed if they pull/step backwards, but you can also do everything from inner thigh throws to flying armbars. The real key to the grip is that it lets you lift people off balance with the same hip action and shoulder squareness that's the source of the judo player's strength in gi standup.

Some combos I'm reliably hitting:
Left Arm Triangle: Lean on shoulder>knee wheel>big inside reap>inner thigh throw
Right Arm Triangle: Big outside reap>advancing footsweep>body drop
Following footsweep>shoulder throw>small inner reap>flying armbar

Cool, yeah I was on vacation, so it timed out. Didn't realize who you were due to the name change.

I'm going to try out the arm-arm-triangle. Cool stuff.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Syphilis Fish posted:

It looks like loving bullshit to me. Aikido skirts, handwraps and steven seagal bandana's; I really don't think I need to look further, unless they're like actual magic users instead of pretend ninja's. Oh ok, compliant partner drills out the rear end;
"punch the area in front of my face and hang out there for a minute while I do seventeen techniques in the air in front of you" is the kind of training that does not work.

*Goes straight to Bullshido*

How the hell is the takedown at 0:30 supposed to work? He just pushes on the guy's face and he goes down? Is he supposed to already be unconscious from the uppercut? Even still, I've seen videos of boxers who were out on their feet, and I think they were more stable than that.

Seriously how do you even own a human body and buy into that?

edit: Watched the rest, it's about equally bad. How many punches can you string together in a combo with just one hand, before you have to worry about the other guy hitting back? If you're this guy, apparently like ten. That's not even believable enough for old kung-fu movies; there you at least have to parry blows in between your own strikes while you sip your tea with the other hand or whatever.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 13, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Mr Interweb posted:

Well folks, y'all will be glad to know I went ahead and signed up for muay thai. Hope the classes aren't lovely cause it's the worst smelling martial arts gym I've been to so far.

That's a good sign

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

That's a good sign

The fact that I'm finally signed up, or the fact it smells terrible?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Smells terrible. He's probably right.

edit: Although the other one too of course, congrats.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 13, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The horrid smell is def. a good sign! :haw:

Seriously.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honest, serious, but very silly question:

I want to get a sword rack for my pickup truck. Any recommendations?

I'm going to be starting sword forms in a month or two, depending on when I finish our staff form. I was thinking about where in the house I want to put a wall rack for my staff and swords (my tai chi gwan teaches a staff, dao, jian, and spear form; I've got wooden practice swords now, waiting to metal versions for when I've actually finished learning the forms) but the more I think about it the more I think just keeping my practice swords in the truck would be best. Obviously, though, there are so many gun racks out there for sale that the search terms are a bit clouded. Anyone else done this? Would a gun rack be sufficient?

This was a couple pages back, but something along the lines of this or, if you need a little more security, something like this will absolutely work fine for holding wooden staffs or practice swords.

On another note - and I could just be misreading your post, but - I wouldn't leave wooden poo poo out on a truck for any length of time. Exposure to wind and rain will mess up wood really quickly unless you want to go through the regimen of waxing it regularly. If you're planning on actually storing your swords on the rack then definitely get an indoor one. You can get some okay freestanding sword racks like this, or you can buy or make a stand similar to this if you prefer an upright display.

fake edit: gently caress, didn't read your post fully, but most floor racks can be wall mounted if you just leave the feet off.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Mr Interweb posted:

If it smells like a lot of sweaty people have been doing hard work in it, that is a good sign

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

gimpsuitjones posted:

If it smells like a lot of sweaty people have been doing hard work in it, that is a good sign

They switched mats at my gym during the christmas break and now it smells all clean and wrong when entering.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

When I took a break I would end up around people after various workouts and get all nostalgic because of that smell.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
We did a Judo charity session today and out of the 30 people that RSVP'd yes, like 2 of them showed up. Only a dozen people turned out in total. We still raised $350 with mat fees and the club donation though. One of the black belts that came down from Sydney absolutely dominated me on the ground. I had his lapell and kept trying to wrench him down and close the gap when he was in my guard but he just seemed to have back muscles made of steel and I just couldn't do sweep or move him or anything. So drat humbling. I got the most amazing de ashi harai on a visiting blue belt though. Half way down he says 'yep'. Made me laugh.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
In about three hours I'll get to attend a seminar with Jake Shields, who is here in Sweden for the UFC show tomorrow. It's all very exciting.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

DekeThornton posted:

In about three hours I'll get to attend a seminar with Jake Shields, who is here in Sweden for the UFC show tomorrow. It's all very exciting.

Fun! I'm sure you'll pick up some interesting techniques. If nothing else, it's a different instructor from your normal one, and what they say might have a better chance of sticking out in your memory.

Today is instruction time again. This month's theme is sweeps from the guard, so today's menu starts with a quick ankle pull appetizer, followed by the main course of a fresh tripod sweep with a pendulum sweep dessert. Delicious!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ask him to teach you how to poke dudes in the eyes with fingers, it'll help your Wing Chung game immensely.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I have a trial BJJ class tomorrow - anything I should know?

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
Tap early, tap often.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

shower. trim nails. Brush teeth. Youre going to be in close proximity of dudes. its ok to grab a buttcheek.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mad Wack posted:

In through the nose. Out through the mouth. This is one of the best pieces of advice anyone starting any martial art anywhere can ever get at the beginning. Because you WILL forget to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Armbar recovery time varies from a few minutes to a few months depending on when you tap, so tap. Other than that, don't smell like poo poo.

• Locked thread