Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandono
Apr 9, 2009
D: 2nd St. Ives Lancers because we really should play as the Capellans at least once, if only for the sake of those of us who like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EDIT: I should also mention how much I love the idea of Stefan Amaris being a smarmy smug little punk. Also I see he's definitely taken up the Marian Hegemony shtick, which makes sense given the map. Good on him!

A I've mentioned I have a fondness for the FWL, and so I toss a ceremonial "Hang on, you goofy bastards!" vote into the fray.

As for 'Mechs, I'm going to refrain from voting on the DS side since neither the Yabai-Yatsu nor dis Battlemaster made it and y'all already know I made a rambling mess of a post yesterday on the subject of the poor old Shadow Hawk.

So I'll toss two friendly votes down Capellan lane.

CC1 Because the Baba Yaga has a mouth that makes me think of Pork Lift doing a Flan voice.
CC6 Because the Illuminati's MRM launcher is shaped like a flower.

However the Mackie also looks pretty darn good and still looks like a Mackie, I think. Can't go wrong with the Daddy of all 'Mechs.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 13, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CC1) Baba-Yaga by Felime
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder

BattleMaster and BattleMaster parts. Yesssssss

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Combat Theater Vote
A No, gently caress YOU, Amaris!

Mech Vote
DS15) Shadow Hawk
CC15) Pepperpot

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

This one was tough to choose. Going with C.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Gonna have to go with B.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
A

I think the FWL dudes are people are like, so anyone attacking them must be a jerk... maybe.

I don't really understand the politics here.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Voting option D. I know next to nothing about Battletech that wasn't in Mechwarrior 2 when I was eight or explained blatantly in the thread and basically watch these political votes with a polite but quizzical smile on my face, so let's try the Capellans and see what their fuss is about.

I believe I understand the actual giant robot side of things a little better, so I'll continue voting for DS03 Lion and CC13 'Bloodbeak' Raven.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Voting A cos go team purple and also Iron Guard sounds pretty badass.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Not to be an rear end or anything, but do we really need 2 NRWR missions splitting the vote? We know nothing about them so the choice between "bestest unit" and "second bestest unit" isn't exactly a meaningful one.

They have different mission profiles and setups (one will bring in 8 pilots, the other 6; while A only brings in 4), so yes. This is also information I don't really feel is pertinent to the vote, which is why I don't mention it. I don't want people voting for the option that'll move the list more quickly; I want them voting for the option they think will be most fun.

I also like close votes.

If you want someone to swing for one or the other? Start making persuasive arguments.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 13, 2012

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
D. Want to see how Romano's decision turns out.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

OK, so for Combat votes so far:

(Not a perfect count, just a sharpie and a notepad and a quick lookover)
(A)Protectorate Iron Guard: 20
(B)Rim World Black Guard: 18
(C)Praetorian Guards: 12
(D)2nd St. Ives Lancers: 12

So all the choices have a lot of supporters, and I think all of them will end up with interesting conflicts. However, i'd like to point out, of all these options, we've already run a game as a House Marik unit. So in the end I'd like to see a NRWR or Capellan winner so we can see some newer stuff and see what things are like from the other side.

Also, looking at the map - judging by the location of the NRWR, does the Magistracy of Canopus not exist in this timeline? From the feeling I'm getting from the NRWR stuff, I am beginning to suspect we might see a greater Periphery invasion of the Inner Sphere concurrent with the Clan Invasion.

Edit: By the way, could I get added to the Pilot Queue? I'll probably get in just in time for the Drac-Sun civil war.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 13, 2012

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Voting (from my phone, apologies for weird formatting):

A

DS14
CC15

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
A. The FWL must stand strong against the vile opportunists.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
B
DS7
CC6

Let's see what Amaris has in store for us, since he's going to be pretty significant to the developing story, especially as he and the Clans are on a collision course. Plus this unit sounds like they have something to prove.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
D) 2nd St. Ives Lancers

DS4) Victor by The Merry Marauder
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I'd like to take a moment to remind all the good sons of New Avalon out there that a vote for a Jagermech is a vote for a classic symbol of the Davion economy!

I'd also like the remind the rest of the Sphere that a vote for a Jagermech means watching Davions drive around in that classic symbol of the Davion economy.

You make the call.

A) Protectorate Iron Guard
DS3) Lion by Hob_Gadling
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A: Protectorate Iron Guard

For House Marik and glory!

DS7: Mackie

Because c'mon, Mackie. I love the others, but Mackie.

CC15: Pepperpot

I think my position is clear.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

B sounds like fun.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'll vote A because gently caress Capellans and well-equipped units are boring.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Son Ryo posted:

well-equipped units are boring.

... So why are you voting for what's theoretically the best-equipped one?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They are?

Well operationally and logistically they're hosed, because COMSTAAARRRR and Poor Duncan.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

... So why are you voting for what's theoretically the best-equipped one?

Oh I would have thought them pretty much on par with a ceremonial unit. They're "undefeated" by virtue of the Lyrans not really doing much in the way of attacking the FWL and they fight, uh, pirates.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Plek posted:

Oh I would have thought them pretty much on par with a ceremonial unit. They're "undefeated" by virtue of the Lyrans not really doing much in the way of attacking the FWL and they fight, uh, pirates.

Pretty much this. I still don't understand pretty much everything about Battletech, all I know is that two of the choices were marked 'best' and 'second-best'.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
B

CC1 Baba Yaga
DS7 Mackie

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

Actually, they're typically stationed near Terra along the borders of the Capellan Confederation. A lot of units get cycled to backworlds for a year or so at a time to 'recover' after strenuous garrison or assault duties.

They just haven't received marching orders to return to a post where they can actually do some good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting: DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone

and B because if we are going to beat up on lovely Marik units at least we can beat up on a front line unit.

Also this

:sweden:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Affi posted:

Are we counting the Bear, Raven, Fox alliance gunning for the Rimworlds Republic?

They've all got holdings, albeit small ones, in the Sphere according to the map, so yes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
A

Cause gently caress Amaris. Hope he gets a Clan or five crashing through his front door. And Teddy K. taking over the Kokuryu-Kai is just an irony overload.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A. Because the FWL.

Although I would not be entirely averse to the inevitable NRWR landslide. Just as long as I don't play a dirty Capellan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Magni posted:

A

Cause gently caress Amaris. Hope he gets a Clan or five crashing through his front door. And Teddy K. taking over the Kokuryu-Kai is just an irony overload.

I think it's actually the Black Dragon working for him that's ironic. Theodore could be using them as pawns, after all. He's crafty.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Anyone wanting to get in on NRWR action should vote for B because C will never win against A (also you can't switch votes sorry)

Does anyone have a count on the mechs? I'd like to vote for something that has a shot at winning over the stupid meme pepperpot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, don't forget that PTN tends to let our voting influence which side is going to win any given battle, even if we don't get to play it out ourselves.

So if you want to have Liao kick the poo poo outta New Syrtis (and who wouldn't?) you should still vote D, even if it doesn't win out as the scenario we play!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Most of that Combat Theater Update flew over my head, but the discussion afterward seems to have cleared most of it up. So Stephan Amaris VII is scheming like crazy, has an in with ComStar's HPGs by virtue of having a branch of the Blake (not to mention Cameron) family working for him, has more power than he lets on, and is about to stab Duncan Marik and the Free Worlds League in the back, who are already losing badly due to ComStar loving them over in the worst way.

Then there's Theodore Kurita taking control of the Black Dragon Society and holding them back until he sees the future of the Draconis Suns and whether they can take back Luthien, get rid of the Clans and see what kind of heir is produced.

Finally, there's the Arkhab Legions failing badly to hold the Jade Falcons on Asgard. They expected the Hell's Horses, prepared for them, but got torn apart by an enemy with a different doctrine that perfectly countered theirs. drat, I wanted to see a Clan get it poo poo pushed in. Also, if the Falcons are here, the Draconis Suns will soon see a lot more hurt headed their way.

For the Combat Theater vote, I'm going to go with A) the Protectorate Iron Guard since I really don't like Amaris, and I don't feel like going against New Syrtis either. Besides, the Iron Guard sounds like its going to be fighting Amaris troops attempting a backstab, so it's a good time to put an end to all this nonsense.

As for Design Contest votes, even with the info provided by others in thread, especially DivineCoffeeBinge, I still don;t know enough about Mech design where I feel I can make an informed decision on which Mechs are good or not. I guess I'll just have to leave it to the Goonmind. You guys haven't let me down yet!

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/Well then, which Mechs are best among the good, I guess. Again, I have no idea whatsoever about what makes a Mech good, so I'm just not going to vote at all.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 13, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GhostStalker posted:

As for Design Contest votes, even with the info provided by others in thread, especially DivineCoffeeBinge, I still don;t know enough about Mech design where I feel I can make an informed decision on which Mechs are good or not. I guess I'll just have to leave it to the Goonmind. You guys haven't let me down yet!

Well, they're all good, they're just good in different ways, is all.

Patchouli
Mar 30, 2011
D

DS7)

CC1)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Voting A

Don't know anywhere near enough mechwise to vote on that.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 13, 2012

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
B

For Amaris!

B sounds like a good bet. Former pirates do not seem like they would be piloting assaults nad heavies, so we have chances of seeing more mechs in the theater. C looks like bunch of heavies smashing a number of enemies of inferior quality and A look like bunch of heavies finding themselves in middle of invasion. While A might be potentionaly tense fight, it does not seem that much interesting. D just sound totallz boring to me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bad Moon posted:

Voting: DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone

and B because if we are going to beat up on lovely Marik units at least we can beat up on a front line unit.

Also this

:sweden:

drat right, Ghost Bears are Best Bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A

House Amaris should've been torn out root and stem generations ago. Besides, everyone likes the weary, long-time underdog best.

Edit: Although it's totally possible that this one will be about the Lyrans joining the action (do they even have the breathing room to invade the FWL? Is their plan to pull back from the Clans by retreating through Marik?), or perhaps the RWR is attempting a false-flag to make the League think the Lyrans are invading to confuse them.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 13, 2012

• Locked thread