Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

is AE still doing the annoying thing about dropping an ad on the Siri window?
I've not seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

I've not seen one.

I used to get this often enough to be annoying

All I had installed Siri related was AE and a couple more that I can't remember and it wasn't until I uninstalled AE that it went away

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I used to get this often enough to be annoying

All I had installed Siri related was AE and a couple more that I can't remember and it wasn't until I uninstalled AE that it went away
That's annoying. I've never seen it. Maybe because I have AdBlocker installed?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

That's annoying. I've never seen it. Maybe because I have AdBlocker installed?

I'll give that a shot. Question about AssistantLove: how exactly does the navigate feature work? Does it have to be an address you speak or can you ask for directions to work/friend's house?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

eggrolled posted:

With bitesms, I hear my text alert go off twice (like literally not even a second apart, so it's different from when the message beeps again in a few minutes to make sure you check it) Has anyone had this problem? I have a feeling I must have glazed over a setting somewhere.

I have the exact same issue and I'm sure it's how I have my notification settings set up with Bitesms. I played around and just gave up. Anyone care to post their Bitesms notification settings and notification center?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Tried Sara and, uh, it's sorta neat but it's like talking to one of those chat bots. Like, it answers your questions but not with real answers. I asked how cold it was outside and she said "very cold." So I asked the temperature and she said "just shy of 2000 degrees."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll give that a shot. Question about AssistantLove: how exactly does the navigate feature work? Does it have to be an address you speak or can you ask for directions to work/friend's house?
Seems to work for addresses or contact names (assuming they have addresses entered.)

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
Looks like despite the fact they never responded to my emails, Hands-Free Control released an update to fix the licensing issue. Yay.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Running 4.2.1 on a 3GS, with a baseband of 05.15.04. Is there anyway to unlock, without losing GPS?

Thanks!

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

scanlonman posted:

Running 4.2.1 on a 3GS, with a baseband of 05.15.04. Is there anyway to unlock, without losing GPS?

Thanks!

If your contract is fulfilled, and you have proof of purchase for your phone, AT&T will unlock it for you.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
welp

@notcom posted:

TU 5.10.11 released with the mysterious yet silent ability to save your BBTicket for use "later on…" http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com

quote:

I'm pushing 5.10.11 for iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 4 CDMA users with functionality to save BBTickets for use later on...

:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

welp
In English? :)

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Feenix posted:

Save your shsh blobs for 5.1 with TU.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Are you asking about SHSH backups?

I not good with words. I can try to explain (but I may be wrong).

iOS4 did this check when you tried to install it. iTunes would ask Apple if it was OK to install. Apple said "yes" or "nope". Hackers figured out how to record the "yes" response and trick iTunes into thinking Apple always responded with a "yes". (the SHSH blob)

When iOS5 came out, Apple changed how it did its check. iTunes no longer just asked Apple if it was OK to install, but instead now also asks Apple things like "what time is it? what number am I thinking of? how many fingers am I holding up?" and a bunch of other stuff that only it and Apple knew. These answers are then encrypted.

For pre-A5 devices, they've all been hacked at a hardware level (by geohot), so when iTunes goes to restore, you can just feed it the same answers and it lets you install what you want. The pre-A5 device will accept whatever crap given to it. (put the device into DFU mode and exploit with limera1n, "stitch" the old answers with your SHSH blob into the IPSW, then restore that)

With A5+ devices, they are not hacked at a hardware level, so you can't fool them. When you feed iTunes the same old crap recorded previously and the numbers don't match - your device will be like "hey, I asked you for the time and you're giving me a date from a month ago!"
So stitching old answers + SHSH blob + IPSW doesn't work. Installing "non approved" iOS versions hasn't been possible.

Apparently @notcom and @iH8tsn0w found a NEW way to fool iTunes. Something so clever it even fools the new checks of iOS5.
Now when you record the "yes" or "nope" response from Apple, they also record other, NEW data with it (the SHSH blobs are now a lot larger). New data that can possibly by used to fool iTunes into thinking it always gets the right info, without having to hack the hardware itself.

Someone, PLEASE correct me if I'm way off here.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!

Xenomorph posted:

I not good with words.

Lies. This appears to be a stunningly clear and complete explanation of the whole process. Not that I can confirm or deny the accuracy of the last part, but it sounds good!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Sometimes I feel that hacking groups should keep their methods to themselves, because invariably Apple (and in the Android world, Google and the OEM's) always make a point to block their methods with the next update, leading to a cat-and-mouse game when the hackers could be working on crazy new functionality.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Sometimes I feel that hacking groups should keep their methods to themselves

Why do you think that they don't

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I've always wondered why downgrading from beta IOSes to release versions downgrades the baseband as well.

I take it caching BBTicket will also allow for baseband downgrades as well as firmware downgrades?

Mark Larson posted:

Sometimes I feel that hacking groups should keep their methods to themselves, because invariably Apple (and in the Android world, Google and the OEM's) always make a point to block their methods with the next update
They do.

When geohot released his limera1n bootrom exploit, the iPhone Dev Team shelved their own (SHAtter) and recoded greenpois0n to use limera1n instead. Plenty of scene drama ensued when the unused SHAtter bootrom exploit was leaked, causing Apple to patch it in A5.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, there are currently 3+ untethered 5.1 jailbreaks. The info is currently secret. The initial jailbreaks probably require developer accounts as well.

They learned from past leaks to keep the secrets hidden.

Regarding the new BBTicket stuff, Apple already knows how the process works and probably already knew how to get around it. The Dev Team (or whomever) is just catching up to what Apple already knows.

Many jailbreak vectors were patched without the jailbreak or even the info on it ever going public. Apple gets an insane number of crash logs, so they can identify stuff quicker than the hacker community.

There have been about *5* builds of Tiny Umbrella in the past few hours. The latest works for all devices again (5.10.10 from yesterday only worked for the 4S).

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

quote:

TU 5.10.14 grabs BBTicket for iPhones & iPads with bb. Also, SHSHs with BBTicket saved will be in bold.

In my list of SHSH blobs (almost a 100 now, even after I accidentally deleted the ones for my iPads), two are now bold (for my 4S and 3G iPad 2).

Since the new info is being cached for the iOS 5.1, I'm guessing that maybe we'll be able to downgrade to iOS 5.1, and not to 5.0.1. I'm wondering if they're waiting to confirm the 5.1 or 5.1.1 downgrade before they release the 5.1/5.1.1 untether (or 5.1/5.1.1 A5 jailbreak).

Ideal situation:
- Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 (with a ton of fixes for iPad 3 and 4S)
- Dev Team confirms that even when Apple stops signing 5.1, the new BBTicket/SHSH can be used to install 5.1.
- Dev Team confirms that Apple uses the same BBTicket/SHSH method with 5.1.1 (and therefor should be installable even after Apple stops signing it)
- Dev Team tells everyone to back up 5.1.1 BBTicket/SHSH
- Untethered Jailbreak is released for 5.1.1.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

Are you asking about SHSH backups?

I not good with words. I can try to explain (but I may be wrong).

Sorry, it was late and I thought I was being clever about just asking what that post "meant". I know about Blobs. What I was curious about was if that indicated a 5.1 JB was extremely close... or if it was just being precautionary.

I have a Jailbroken 4S on 5.0 or 5.0.1 or whatever. Is Cydia most likely backing up SHSH for me?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Sorry, it was late and I thought I was being clever about just asking what that post "meant". I know about Blobs. What I was curious about was if that indicated a 5.1 JB was extremely close... or if it was just being precautionary.

I have a Jailbroken 4S on 5.0 or 5.0.1 or whatever. Is Cydia most likely backing up SHSH for me?

Possibly. I would still get it manually, now, with Tiny Umbrella.

Cydia may have your 5.1 SHSH blob (7KB).
TU will get your 5.1 SHSH blob + BBTicket (10KB).

The SHSH Cydia may have may be useless (for A5+ devices).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
TinyUmbrella was able to save my 5.1 SHSH for my 4s that's still on 5.01. It can't seem to do the same for a pad2 on 5.01, or a 4 on 5.01. Is that normal? Do I have to upgrade the 4 and pad2 to 5.1 to save the 5.1 SHSH? I was hoping to leave them on 5.01 and save the 5.1 SHSH for future use just in case I miss the 5.1 window.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

TinyUmbrella was able to save my 5.1 SHSH for my 4s that's still on 5.01. It can't seem to do the same for a pad2 on 5.01, or a 4 on 5.01. Is that normal? Do I have to upgrade the 4 and pad2 to 5.1 to save the 5.1 SHSH? I was hoping to leave them on 5.01 and save the 5.1 SHSH for future use just in case I miss the 5.1 window.

What you have installed has nothing to do with saving SHSH.

Apple is only signing 5.1 right now. And backing up your SHSH comes from sending a request to Apple.
You could have an iPhone 3GS that has never had anything newer than 3.x installed on it, and still have every 4.x and 5.x SHSH backed up for it.

If TU is not backing up your SHSH, make sure it is NOT requesting them from Cydia. Only have them request them from Apple.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

What you have installed has nothing to do with saving SHSH.

Apple is only signing 5.1 right now. And backing up your SHSH comes from sending a request to Apple.
You could have an iPhone 3GS that has never had anything newer than 3.x installed on it, and still have every 4.x and 5.x SHSH backed up for it.

If TU is not backing up your SHSH, make sure it is NOT requesting them from Cydia. Only have them request them from Apple.
Thanks. I didn't have the Cydia option checked, but it must have just timed out or something. I tried a few more times and now have 5.1 SHSH for everything.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I have no idea what I'm doing and I need help please. I will try to give you the main points as to make my situation as clear as I can.

I had a 3GS iPhone (old bootrom), iOS 5.0.1 with iPad Baseband 6.15.00 so I could jailbreak and unlock. I had an unthetered jailbreak and was able to use a local SIM card outside of the US.

I sold this phone to a kid who promptly updated it in iTunes, making a whole mess. It's not jailbroken anymore, and it hast iOS 5.1.

I've been trying for hours to restore it to its former glory, but with no luck so far.

How can I get back to iOS 5.0.1, and baseband 6.15.00 so I can use ultrasn0w to unlock it again?
I'm getting so frustrated and I'm about to throw this thing away and punch a kid on the face ;_;

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cacahuate posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing and I need help please. I will try to give you the main points as to make my situation as clear as I can.

I had a 3GS iPhone (old bootrom), iOS 5.0.1 with iPad Baseband 6.15.00 so I could jailbreak and unlock. I had an unthetered jailbreak and was able to use a local SIM card outside of the US.

I sold this phone to a kid who promptly updated it in iTunes, making a whole mess. It's not jailbroken anymore, and it hast iOS 5.1.

I've been trying for hours to restore it to its former glory, but with no luck so far.

How can I get back to iOS 5.0.1, and baseband 6.15.00 so I can use ultrasn0w to unlock it again?
I'm getting so frustrated and I'm about to throw this thing away and punch a kid on the face ;_;
iFaith can downgrade a 5.1 3gs to 5.0.1 but I don't know about the baseband part.

But why is it your problem? You sold him the phone and then he hosed it up on his own. Let him deal with it.

randyest fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 12, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Why not just leave it on 5.1? The baseband should still be at 06.15.00, the 5.1 jailbreak is untethered on the old bootrom 3GS and you can use ultrasn0w fixer to make ultrasn0w work.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 12, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is it normal for Seas0nPass to take 15+ minutes for the "Restoring in iTunes" part? The iTunes window opens but with nothing happening it it.

Both seas0npass and itune's exes are bobbing a few steps within 10% CPU usage. The SP log was repeating thousands of lines of:

code:
I'm trying the tethered 5.1 jailbreak. Something's amiss, isn't it?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 12, 2012

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is there a fix for the home button problem? Last month or so, my home button (iphone 4 on 5.0.1) has become abysmally non responsive. I have to click it many, many times in order for it to respond.

I only have SBSettings, activator, tether me and GV voice/sms extensions installed. Some googling suggests it might be Activator's fault. Deactivating it under "more" in sbsettings gives some relief. Since display sb in the notification tray, leaving activator unused, I am thinking of just uninstalling activator to see if that solves it.

Because frankly I'm so annoyed by it I'm considering killing the jailbreak entirely... and I LOVE my GV extensions.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is there a fix for the home button problem? Last month or so, my home button (iphone 4 on 5.0.1) has become abysmally non responsive. I have to click it many, many times in order for it to respond.

I only have SBSettings, activator, tether me and GV voice/sms extensions installed. Some googling suggests it might be Activator's fault. Deactivating it under "more" in sbsettings gives some relief. Since display sb in the notification tray, leaving activator unused, I am thinking of just uninstalling activator to see if that solves it.

Because frankly I'm so annoyed by it I'm considering killing the jailbreak entirely... and I LOVE my GV extensions.

My home button has been acting the same way. iPhone 4 running teathered JB 5.1. Its functionality has been worn down for about a year now. My fix was to use a SB slide gesture to emulate the button press. Works great and I actually prefer it. If I have to activate my app switcher I have about the same odds of pressing the home button a few times as I do trying to double slide my SB. This was my fix anyway. It seems silly to delete your JB over the issue, but obviously your circumstance and preference is different than mine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Make a Genius Bar appointment. They replaced my 4 no questions asked when I went in with the same issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Make a Genius Bar appointment. They replaced my 4 no questions asked when I went in with the same issue.

Gonna throw a big, skeptical "YMMV" on that. They USED to replace poo poo like that no questions asked. But around the time new Applecare+ became a thing, they got much stricter. If your iPhone 4 is over a year old (or otherwise past its warranty) they very likely will turn you away or offer you a 200 dollar swap out.
My Wife's iPhone 4 was a month past it's 1 year warranty and the drat thing's Home Button had ONE HUNDRED PERCENT STOP REGISTERING. Even if you pressed it 1 million times nothing would happen. 2 different Apple Stores I went to said it was out of warranty and too bad. And I've previously never had problems with Apple Stores being VERY generous about replacing poo poo.

Things've changed a bit since the paid Applecare+ came about.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Feenix posted:

Gonna throw a big, skeptical "YMMV" on that. They USED to replace poo poo like that no questions asked. But around the time new Applecare+ became a thing, they got much stricter. If your iPhone 4 is over a year old (or otherwise past its warranty) they very likely will turn you away or offer you a 200 dollar swap out.
My Wife's iPhone 4 was a month past it's 1 year warranty and the drat thing's Home Button had ONE HUNDRED PERCENT STOP REGISTERING. Even if you pressed it 1 million times nothing would happen. 2 different Apple Stores I went to said it was out of warranty and too bad. And I've previously never had problems with Apple Stores being VERY generous about replacing poo poo.

Things've changed a bit since the paid Applecare+ came about.

Similar thing happened to me. Only went to one store but they couldn't help me. Should have included that in my last post.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Mine has been dead for a year. I just use Zephyr. Works better than the activator gestures.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ugh. I have an old 16gb 3G with no sim card that I would like to use as an ipod touch. I've looked around online, and maybe I'm having trouble following the instructions, because none of the hactivation things seem to work for me.

It's stuck on the "no sim card" thing, and I can't tell what version firmware/iOS is installed on the stupid thing.

Any ideas? I tried the redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc19 hactivate, but it just hangs after I get it into DFU mode, saying it's waiting for a reboot.

Edit: Oh, also, I WAS able to get it into restore mode, but when I clicked restore, it started trying to download 5.1, and I'm not certain that I want to do that.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 13, 2012

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ok so I just got my officially unlock to go through. Is there any way to get it on my phone without restoring it? Every time I have to do it, it takes hour and hours and I am just not in the mood for messing with it until 5.x jailbreak comes out.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

randyest posted:

iFaith can downgrade a 5.1 3gs to 5.0.1 but I don't know about the baseband part.

But why is it your problem? You sold him the phone and then he hosed it up on his own. Let him deal with it.

Oh crap! Thanks you are right! I just blatantly told them I couldn't do it and they told me they would find someone that provides that service.

I LOVE to stress the poo poo out of myself. It's like an obsession! Thanks a lot brain!

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

navyjack posted:

Ugh. I have an old 16gb 3G with no sim card that I would like to use as an ipod touch. I've looked around online, and maybe I'm having trouble following the instructions, because none of the hactivation things seem to work for me.

It's stuck on the "no sim card" thing, and I can't tell what version firmware/iOS is installed on the stupid thing.

Any ideas? I tried the redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc19 hactivate, but it just hangs after I get it into DFU mode, saying it's waiting for a reboot.

Edit: Oh, also, I WAS able to get it into restore mode, but when I clicked restore, it started trying to download 5.1, and I'm not certain that I want to do that.

Is redsn0w actually trying to jailbreak it when it hangs? Like a progress bar that says it's doing something? That happens to me and I have to set affinity for redsn0w to just 1 core.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Djarum posted:

Ok so I just got my officially unlock to go through. Is there any way to get it on my phone without restoring it? Every time I have to do it, it takes hour and hours and I am just not in the mood for messing with it until 5.x jailbreak comes out.

Get Redsn0w. Jailbreak it, and on the options screen that comes up during the Jailbreak unselect jailbreak and select deactivate. Let it do its thing and next time you plug it into iTunes, it"ll run through the activation procedure and unlock your phone, if the unlock went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is probably a noob question, but I just jailbroke my 4S on 5.0.1 using greenp0ison, but when I go into Cydia to search for an app, it only shows the stuff that's already installed on my phone. SBSettings doesn't bring anything up. :confused:

edit: Nevermind, I needed up go to Changes -> Refresh and update that way.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 13, 2012

• Locked thread