Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

FWIW, last time I played WoW heavily (late Lich King and first tier of Cataclysm), while patch days were long, I don't recall them way over-extending past projected downtime hours typically, and definitely not issues of "patch out! oh god, bugs everywhere! emergency downtime! oh nevermind, patch tomorrow! patching done! oh god bugs everywhere still!".

Yeah, this is how it is EQ, and it certainly isn't like that in WoW with absurd bugs, constant re-patching and everything.

I respect that it can be difficult to work on something as ancient and hacked-up as EQ, but it shows that their testing environment and testing resources are simply crap.

IMO, it does damage to the game most than just a bunch of angry nerds posting on forums. The logistics of playing EQ are horrible enough already (the login procedure... ugh), everything about SOE is clunky, ugly and slow, and the customer support sucks. It makes the game feel unwelcoming. Something as fundamental as loading up the game, the login procedure, account management and at the least, the communication between the devs and the players when something is wrong, should be stellar. Sometimes we just see "Server: LOCKED" with nowhere to look for why, except to sometimes be lucky and find a random post buried on the godawful official forums about how they're "working on it".

Fuckin' SOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

So, in happier news, the monk epic is now clickable from inventory! Monks rejoice after 12 years. It seems to stack with most stuff, such as shaman buffs.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
Has anyone else noticed a change in XP rates? I have a 61 Shaman on Vox and I've been taking breaks from AA grinding to level my SK (who is now 49) and I am noticing that the XP I'm getting on him since the patch is seriously reduced. For instance, one kill at 49 with my Shaman in a hot zone would get me 5% of the entire xp bar, and with the SK I am seeing 1% maybe 2% per kill.

As far as I can tell they haven't changed the hot zones, and I generally don't use XP potions so I am not seeing a difference there. Also, AA XP doesn't seem highly affected as I picked up 9 AAs in The Hole in a couple hours with my Shaman last night which is about what I was getting pre-patch.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

There is a very small number of devs, each sort of has an area with a lot of overlap in the content/raid design area and not much else. 1 dev on AAs, 1 dev on spells, 1 dev on items, the dev who's working on epic ornaments gets put on all the special content, plus 2-3 dev who only seem to do expansion content. The QA and response from some of them is loving terrible and only one actively gets feedback from players. Only AAs have a chance of being tuned from feedback, items may get bugs fixed, spells may get some bugs fixed in early beta but are never touched again.

Honestly, it's amazing they've done what they have with a dev team like this, and at the same time explains why the quality of life improvements that would make this game so much better just don't happen.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

So, in happier news, the monk epic is now clickable from inventory! Monks rejoice after 12 years. It seems to stack with most stuff, such as shaman buffs.

The ac/atk portion works fine. The haste won't stack with any spellhaste that isn't overhaste. I don't think there's anything that will straight up overwrite the buff itself though. Also I tried doing some testing for the celestial fists worn vs. defiant gloves but /log is only accurate to a second so there's no way to tell if the swings are slower or not.

On a brighter note I bought an item for 1k in the bazaar and tributed it for 22k. Flurries for life woo!

e: Actually now that I remember back I think there are probably some buffs that won't stack with the other stuff in it either. Something from the beastlord lines maybe? Well whatever it's still a pretty sweet solo clickie for saving plat on haste pots if you're being frugal.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 12, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Download GamParse from here http://gambosoft.com/Pages/Downloads.htm
Run it, and do some quick 5-10m tests against a dummy in your guild hall. That should give you a rough idea of fists or epic fists being better. Just keep your buffs the same for each. Training Dummies should be sold in the housing zone if no one has placed one in the goonhall.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

Download GamParse from here http://gambosoft.com/Pages/Downloads.htm
Run it, and do some quick 5-10m tests against a dummy in your guild hall. That should give you a rough idea of fists or epic fists being better. Just keep your buffs the same for each. Training Dummies should be sold in the housing zone if no one has placed one in the goonhall.

Thanks. I'll jam that up as soon as the transfer team decides I've provided enough blood and stool samples for them to do something about AB transfers being broken. Probably in a few weeks :iiam:.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Nurge posted:

The ac/atk portion works fine. The haste won't stack with any spellhaste that isn't overhaste. I don't think there's anything that will straight up overwrite the buff itself though. Also I tried doing some testing for the celestial fists worn vs. defiant gloves but /log is only accurate to a second so there's no way to tell if the swings are slower or not.

On a brighter note I bought an item for 1k in the bazaar and tributed it for 22k. Flurries for life woo!

e: Actually now that I remember back I think there are probably some buffs that won't stack with the other stuff in it either. Something from the beastlord lines maybe? Well whatever it's still a pretty sweet solo clickie for saving plat on haste pots if you're being frugal.

Sadly, it overwrites the atk buff from the fabled goblin skull earring, which just also became inv clickable. :( Oh well, I have it hotkeyed and bound to the same key as I use for Kick now, definitely doesn't hurt.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tolain posted:

"Firiona Vie is what feudal Europe was like before kings came along. Robber Barons locking down everything" -BeowulfGallant.

As resident Potion Baron of FV, I thought I would share a few tips now that it's down to the wire for turn-ins (And apparently people are still on FV, I thought I was the last one for awhile.)

This is a pretty fast and quick way to get your bankroll up at low levels since each potion sells for 28-35k depending on how far away from anniversary we are. How else are you going to afford the robber baron's 2 million PP raid gear?!

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3068

Random tips:

-Most of these are zero effort and take about 2-3 mins to gather. I bring 10 traders satchels and collect 10 components at a time.

-The only real roadblocks to progress are LOIO bloodgoblins and the goblin fort in warslicks. If they're camped, just go do something else and come back later. When you get LOIO bloodgills, farm as many as your heart desires.

-The turn in is a pain in the rear end because it's 1 per character. Get around this with a campfire fellowship to port in your level 1 alts, or have a mage COTH you. What I do is bind a wizard at crescent reach spawn zone, make 2-3 alts, then port them to my bind point at the quest NPC.

-bazaar components per potion go for around 10k it seems, so once you start selling potions if you're lazy you can just start buying potion components, doing the turnin, and then selling the product at double. It's a really easy quest aside from bloodgills though.

-The end result of doing this quest on and off for about 5 days is basically double exp bonus (FV has a 50% default bonus...so 300%?) for life, and hopefully enough to snag a few solid raid gear items I've had my eyes on.

Basically I'm everything that's wrong with the FV server.

Wait I thought these potions were no trade? I'm tempted as gently caress to do this myself. Not necessarily to sell them although I might sell one or two, but to give myself a massive EXP boost. I don't necessarily poopsock hardcore so levelling is generally slow for me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Little or nothing is no-trade on Firiona Vie, that's the whole point of the server.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

Also I tried doing some testing for the celestial fists worn vs. defiant gloves but /log is only accurate to a second so there's no way to tell if the swings are slower or not.

Sure there is - as I said, let several rounds go off. If need be, do a minute of each. Then count how many rounds went off in each minute. If defiant gives, say 30 rounds, and epic gives 45, then you know epic is making your fists faster.

Hope your server transfer gets fixed!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
If you guys aren't experienced attempting to modify a legacy code base, let me tell you: It's what I did for a long time, and 15 year old code that nobody remembers is HORRIBLE. The real miracle here is that EQ still manages to work at all. You just can't imagine how ultra poo poo it is to have 10+ million lines of code slapped together over 13 years, using 13 years worth of different techniques, pieced together by hundreds of different devs who are now gone, and attempt to change something. Even the best architected software systems suffer from this, so just think about how horrendous a piece of software like EQ is.

Seriously, I bitch about sony as much as the next guy, but their devs are drat amazing to keep this poo poo running at all. I sure as hell wouldn't want their job.

Unless they've changed it at some point after the epic 1.0 stopped being relevant, the 1.0 will overwrite your fist ratio no matter what it is. If you don't want hte 9/16, just stash it in a bag and hotkey that slot to your flying kick button. If you're attempting to parse it to tell one way or the other, remember to remove ALL your haste, otherwise the delay for both is probably going to be so drat low that the 1 sec threshold is hit by both

In other news, now I have to redo the loving epic. Anybody have either of those pipes? Please god someone have the loving pipes :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

In other news, now I have to redo the loving epic. Anybody have either of those pipes? Please god someone have the loving pipes :(

Why? The 40% cheap-bastard self haste is nice, but you always have your shaman with you.

Also, what do you mean redo? If your monk was an old monk with it, I thought they let you keep it when you transferred to test and back off.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Nurge posted:

Thanks. I'll jam that up as soon as the transfer team decides I've provided enough blood and stool samples for them to do something about AB transfers being broken. Probably in a few weeks :iiam:.

I busted out my 57 monk and tested his fists and epic against a training dummy. Buffs were the same, some stat loss for taking off the epic.

Epic fists:
Combat Dummy Dena in 257s, 6k @23dps - Jukik 6k @23dps

Level 57 fists:
Combat Dummy Dena in 258s, 3k @13dps - Jukik 3k @13dps

In summary: Holy poo poo, low levels deal so little damage!

Here's two 14/18 weapons:
Combat Dummy Dena in 341s, 8k @24dps - Jukik 8k @24dps

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 13, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Why? The 40% cheap-bastard self haste is nice, but you always have your shaman with you.

Also, what do you mean redo? If your monk was an old monk with it, I thought they let you keep it when you transferred to test and back off.

Instaclick buff! They only let me keep my 2.0, but I petitioned earlier to ask if I could have my 1.0 back too...here's hoping

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

By the way, don't forget that the pre-13th anniversary quests will be going away around the 16th. I'm slogging through them bored to get the most gear, LAA and augs out of them; will be indirectly glad when they go away so I can go back to some HoT prog. :P

MrTheDevious posted:

I've got the Chardok pipe on Zliz, picked it up randomly as I walked through Chardok and the iksar was up.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Pilsner posted:

By the way, don't forget that the pre-13th anniversary quests will be going away around the 16th. I'm slogging through them bored to get the most gear, LAA and augs out of them; will be indirectly glad when they go away so I can go back to some HoT prog. :P

I did one of the 13th anniversary quests tonight, and for some reason I didn't get my "Prophet of the dune" title :saddowns:. I think it's because I died right as the mob did. Does anyone know if they're likely to grant me the title via a petition, or does being dead when the named mob goes down not normally grant the title?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 13, 2012

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any benefit to training tracking?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The range goes up with higher skill, so yes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

Instaclick buff! They only let me keep my 2.0, but I petitioned earlier to ask if I could have my 1.0 back too...here's hoping

Ah :(. That sucks :(

Personally, I don't think it's worth redoing, unless you just want it for funsies. For those who don't know, it's like a 13 second song buff that requires you to goof around with your hotbar bindings to keep going. It conflicts with at least two buffs I know of that add attack (gobo earring (normal and fabled) and some ranger or druid buff....).

Really only useful for free haste when noone is around IMO.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
(Sorry for the double post, btw)

So, I hope to hit 75 tonight, and given how I already have over 700 AA, while I'm going to spend some time at 75, it's not like I'll be there for 1000 more AA. I've started looking at HoT T1 armor because of it, and here's how it looks like it works to me (please tell me if I'm wrong!). I like to plan ahead, and if I need to buy poo poo off the AH, it gives me longer to look for the right deal.

Shroud of Dreams (combiner) 1k - reusable, vendor
    ->Coalescing Agent - 1k consumed, vendor
    ->Abstruse Remnant - No drop, from Tier 1 named (Feerrott, House of Thule Lower)
    ->Template - Crafted, buy from bazaar (In my case, Immaculate Leather, following pieces are different for different armor types)
      ->Faysilk Filament - 200p, vendor
      ->Template Pattern - 1gp, vendor (In my case, Leather)
      ->Tanning Chemicals -1gp, vendor
      ->Simple Sewing Needle -free, vendor, reusable
      ->Immaculate Animal Pelt (1-3 depending on piece) - dropped all over HoT content

So these are my options, as I see it, right?

1. Do it myself: Spend 1k on shroud, level tailoring, farm / buy pelts, then get no-drop remnants and spend 1k per coalescing agents
2. Do half of it myself: Spend 1k on shroud, buy templates (cost?) from Bazaar, loot remants, spend 1k per coalescing agent
3. Pay someone who already has the remanant: buy template and 1k coalescing agent (or they buy, whichever), they hit combine with their shroud and their no drop piece
4. Buy completed poo poo from the bazaar: anywhere from 10k to god knows what per piece.
5. Find someone (like Lub and Neri did) to make them a full set (30k and 50k, respectively)

That about right? I'm leaning towards 1 or 2. How much trouble / cost am I looking at to level tailoring up to just over 500? EQTraders doesn't seem to have guides that go anywhere near that high =/ (EDIT: Nevermind! Found link in the OP to EQTC forums with good info). How rare are the immaculate pelts?

Also, how tough is it to get a full set of remnant no drop pieces? It looks like lots of the bosses can drop various pieces. Do they rot often? If I can't get in a group and sit invis in HoT zones, do people yell out rots?

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 13, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Unless you are really interested in having a maxed out tradeskill, don't bother with tailoring just for the armor reason, it would be much more efficient just to buy the TS'd piece in the baz, both on your time and platinum.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The337th posted:

Unless you are really interested in having a maxed out tradeskill, don't bother with tailoring just for the armor reason, it would be much more efficient just to buy the TS'd piece in the baz, both on your time and platinum.

I am kinda interested in it. I'm a bit of a masochist. Not set on it though, not currently.

Do you know what the templates run on the bazaar? I've heard they're cheap, but cheap is a relative term...

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

They're like 200 plat. Total nonissue.

HoT armor is 2100 plat for vendor supplies, that cheap template, and the single no-drop per slot. People generally sell the no-drops for 10k each or cheaper in packages. If you're just doing the tradeskill for HoT armor, definitely don't do it heh. FAR cheaper and faster to just buy.

Queen Klaknak can suck my hairy mansack, in other news. What a ridiculous fight

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The armor container (Shroud of Dreams) is used up in each combine, also.

The templates were under 1k when I was buying them.

Maxing tailoring will require hundreds of thousands of plat and the AAs for Tailoring Mastery, Scavenge and maybe New Tannin Crafting Mastery.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

They're like 200 plat. Total nonissue.

Oh wow...yeah, I actually may some day raise tailoring for the hell of it, but I'll probably just start looking for templates on the baz then instead for now.

jetz0r posted:

The armor container (Shroud of Dreams) is used up in each combine, also.

D'oh, I didn't know that. So that's how Koda got to 2100 per item. So 11k for the vis set, if I got all the no-drops myself.

jetz0r posted:

Maxing tailoring will require hundreds of thousands of plat and the AAs for Tailoring Mastery, Scavenge and maybe New Tannin Crafting Mastery.

Oh holy gently caress. I've been saving all my pelts and silks that I've found at Zliz's suggestion, but I doubt it'll cut the cost down that much. I'll check out prices for higher level silks/pelts just for the hell of it too, so I can get a feel for when they're cheap.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I have been debating switching up my box some I was reading about necro dps and how huge enchanter twincast aura is for it, so I think I want to try boxing a chanter again I loved my enchanter on test and even if it doesn't work out I'll have him for buffs. basically going from sk/shm/brd/necro to sk/x/chanter/necro.

The x is where it gets funky, I really dont want to box a shaman and chanter so I think I'm either going to box a different healer OR a pure dps caster like mage or wizard. Personally I am leaning toward a druid because it still gives me healing and more nuke dps which stacks nicely with enchanter buffs also beautiful ports.

As far as the pain of switching boxes around I don't think it's that big of a deal since i can camp the level 80 gear and farm up an easy 500 aas and 80 levels in thallasius for them.

Thoughts I know we had a goon druid raving about how neat they are.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

xZAOx posted:

D'oh, I didn't know that. So that's how Koda got to 2100 per item. So 11k for the vis set, if I got all the no-drops myself.

8x visible slots * (2100 vendor + 300 template) = more like 20k than 11k, but definitely worth farming up your own no-drops in either case

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

8x visible slots * (2100 vendor + 300 template) = more like 20k than 11k, but definitely worth farming up your own no-drops in either case

Wow, my brain is off today. I don't know where I cam up with 5 vis slots. Lub basically got the 7 no-drops (he said one piece was missing) as a set for 10k.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Beo posted:

I have been debating switching up my box some I was reading about necro dps and how huge enchanter twincast aura is for it, so I think I want to try boxing a chanter again I loved my enchanter on test and even if it doesn't work out I'll have him for buffs. basically going from sk/shm/brd/necro to sk/x/chanter/necro.

The x is where it gets funky, I really dont want to box a shaman and chanter so I think I'm either going to box a different healer OR a pure dps caster like mage or wizard. Personally I am leaning toward a druid because it still gives me healing and more nuke dps which stacks nicely with enchanter buffs also beautiful ports.

As far as the pain of switching boxes around I don't think it's that big of a deal since i can camp the level 80 gear and farm up an easy 500 aas and 80 levels in thallasius for them.

Thoughts I know we had a goon druid raving about how neat they are.

Replacing the necro in your current setup with a ranger, monk, rogue, or berserker would make for a stronger melee-centric squad, but I agree with you that chanters and necros are both pretty drat cool. sk/(caster)/chanter/necro would probably be a lot more work to automate and might not have the same synergy but I bet you could make it work.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

For me it's so much easier to box casters than melee I knew that with bard/shaman adding a caster dps wasn't the most efficient way and did it anyway because necros own and I always wanted one. I love my bard but I also loved my enchanter especially because it was easy as hell to box and be more efficient, locking down mobs for longer durations /punting mobs completely out of camp and memblurring at the same time. AND making all my dudes look like frogloks :3.

Looking at the 4th character it seems like a druid has more synergy with the enchanter than the shaman and still gives me heals on the other hand I could do something absurdly easy like a mage and have a spare tank + easy dps and pop in shaman for when I absolutely need a healer.

Personally I like having access to a healer for when the merc brainfarts though. And no one plays druids or enchanters, that must mean they are SUPER good.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

History of Beorce in Everquest:

Make some characters. Notice another class's grass appears greener. PL new class. Notice that class's grass isn't quite as green as some other class's grass anymore. PL new class. Decide all of his classes' grass is actually slightly brown and smells funny. PL new classes. New classes also now smell funny and seem to be infected with tiny creatures. Go back to the classes he started with. Decide some other class's grass may, in fact, be greener afterall.

This concludes Kodaji's EQ History 101 :v:

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Looking forward to get back on with my shaman Prettiest :3

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

you forgot that I always keep sk as the main because he owns, most of this doesn't matter because I swear to god i better be getting into guild wars 2 beta soon or heads will roll.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, been reading this thread and got the bug to play again. And ended up deciding to go gold after a few days, since, I am once again addicted to this game.

I realized how much i loved playing the Magician class, and the Shaman too. But I am so ticked off...I remade my Troll Beastlord and there is no alligator :( It's a funky looking lizard.

That made me sad...any items out there that I can use to make him look like a gator again? That lizard does not do it for me...so I ended up getting a petamorph wand off marketplace but its still not an alligator.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

MrTheDevious posted:

History of Beorce in Everquest:

Make some characters. Notice another class's grass appears greener. PL new class. Notice that class's grass isn't quite as green as some other class's grass anymore. PL new class. Decide all of his classes' grass is actually slightly brown and smells funny. PL new classes. New classes also now smell funny and seem to be infected with tiny creatures. Go back to the classes he started with. Decide some other class's grass may, in fact, be greener afterall.

yes he's been this way since Velious and it took him like 9 classes to get past level 40. The only difference is that now he 4-boxes. In time, beo will just box 1 of every single class (actually he'll just move to another MMO in 1.5 months since 3 is his max attention span :iceburn:)

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 13, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Bards still have a lot of synergy with necros and other casters that stacks with most things. Druid caster aDPS is based on DD crit boosts that don't do much for a necro and an aura that conflicts(kinda) with enc's Mana Reiteration line and necro's Reluctant Benevolence AA. RB in a group of casters/hybrids is enough heal most AEs and give some healing boost on tanks.

Caster aDPS is a huge pile of conflicts and overwriting problems. While melee aDPS just keeps on stacking.

Technical details on the dru/enc auras:
The Druid and Enchanter spell proc aura both pulse every 3 ticks (like a bard song) and give you 6 charges of a nuke that procs on any hp lowering detrimental spell (nuke or dot). If both auras are being used in the same group, they will each overwrite the other aura when they pulse. Meaning if you stagger the pulses, you'll have about 6s worth of one, then 12s of the other. This is very useful when using twincast effects because you would normally burn through your 6 charges in 3 casts, the second aura provides another set of charges to go through every 18s.

They both straight up overwrite RB, which is on a 6m reuse timer.

Bards are pretty much the best aDPS class and stack with almost everything.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 13, 2012

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Thanks jetz0r that's some good info, I don't think i'll make an enchanter anymore then even though I still think they are a SUPER sweet class. I think I might make a druid for ports though and see how it goes. I can probably make a hotkey that blocks the druids aura for when i pop RB.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
crash and burn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

All servers down, owned.

Beo posted:

I can probably make a hotkey that blocks the druids aura for when i pop RB.

Since you're running all characters, can just click off the druid aura in the aura window and cast rb 20s later. But blocking the aura will allow rb to sit on that character unmolested.