Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!

Cestrian posted:

I just want to preserve this comment from the main page here for all eternity.

"I am still wondering what the karate aside was about. Who was that? Why was the hem so important? Just sentimental? Does she have a crush on this guy? Was that Mr Eglamore, I thought so at first but isn't that her friends crush? or was that her dad? One minute we are with Antimony and then we are with a girl who looks the same age but has shorter hair. Wasn't she much smaller when she last saw her dad? Is she seeing the future??? Little help here!"

This is what happens when you actually produce something subtle that doesn't spell everything out every page with reams of text.

It took me a while to get.. I didn't really pick up that she was younger my first read through of those panes. I assume that was her being younger with her father, not with Eglamore.

Also, thanks Avatar fairy! Very apt! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After reading that ridiculous tech-sperg from a bit back, I noticed a neat detail about this page: It looks like the rocket reaches Mikrosat 5 in about 20 seconds. Assuming that MS5 orbits at around 200 km that'd put the rocket at a velocity of about 10 km/s. That is actually about the same delta-v that real-life rockets need to reach low earth orbit. This might just be a coincidence (especially given my pretty rough approximitations), but I wouldn't put it past Tom to actually take some time to get this right. I just thought it was pretty cool :shobon:

Fake Edit: Whelp, now I kinda feel out of place with all the GC-avatars here :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

idonotlikepeas posted:

OK, I have updated the avatar repository in the way people seemed to want. If I run up against the post limit, I'll condense the names into a contributor list.

So if someone wants to go find JT Jag a new avatar...

I'd just put them all into blocks and leave out contributor names, it'd make it easier to skim through.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Perestroika posted:

Fake Edit: Whelp, now I kinda feel out of place with all the GC-avatars here :v:

Given this thread you might as well wake up from a nap and suddenly have one too.

I'm sort of hoping that as part of the side projects Tom will indulge in will be redrawing the first few chapters in the newer style. Not that I don't like baseball Antimony, but... yeah.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

YF-23 posted:

I'm sort of hoping that as part of the side projects Tom will indulge in will be redrawing the first few chapters in the newer style.

I'm not. The simplicity of the art goes along with the script. As the art evolved so did the complexity of the script. Thematically and historically, I feel the early chapters should be left as they are.

Cold_Ethyl
Aug 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS

I am SO smart

SirSamVimes posted:

Is that the third time that avatar's been rebought?

Edit: I come bearing gifts!
]

Would anyone mind if I took this? I adore gunnerkrigg and I think it's about time I got a fancy av :)

Incidentally I met Tom at Leeds thought bubble festival and he drew me an awesome coyote picture in my gunnerkrigg book and I got an amazing Rey doll :)

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

cranky pomme posted:

So I got Gunnerkrigg Court Volumes 1, 2 (through a lot of effort and bribery), and 3 for my youngest sister, who is 12. She is absolutely enamored with them, and thinks that Antimony and Kat are basically the coolest chicks ever--she's even started passing the books around with her friends, who also love them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Thank you, Mr. Siddell, for making wonderful, realistic characters that young girls can relate to. I know we're all old, embittered, internet goons, but you really have made something fantastic here, and I'm very grateful for that.

On an avatarchat-related note, how many variations of this avatar are floating around? I never get tired of seeing The Saddest Face.

That's great, I love hearing that kind of thing. Thanks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YF-23 posted:

I'm sort of hoping that as part of the side projects Tom will indulge in will be redrawing the first few chapters in the newer style. Not that I don't like baseball Antimony, but... yeah.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not. The simplicity of the art goes along with the script. As the art evolved so did the complexity of the script. Thematically and historically, I feel the early chapters should be left as they are.

If he were to go to the effort at redrawing, I'd say he should try and redraw up through Of New And Old (chapter 7) in the style of chapter 8. That's the point at which I feel that the art really hit its stride and it began to refine and evolve quite naturally with the story. Up until that point it kinda sticks out as being a learning phase and figuring out just what the style would be.

But it's really not enough to warrant it unless he really had an urge to, the early stuff is perfectly fine.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Perestroika posted:

After reading that ridiculous tech-sperg from a bit back, I noticed a neat detail about this page: It looks like the rocket reaches Mikrosat 5 in about 20 seconds.

What time scale are you basing that on, exactly?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

What time scale are you basing that on, exactly?

Ah, really just a rough approximation on how long summoning and adjusting the telescope appears to take, as all panels seem to take place directly after one another without any delay between them.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I was playing SWTOR and this droid's head reminded me of something terrible.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Perestroika posted:

Ah, really just a rough approximation on how long summoning and adjusting the telescope appears to take, as all panels seem to take place directly after one another without any delay between them.

Leaving aside the amount of time it takes to adjust a telescope, there's also the second panel where Annie gazes at the sky for an indeterminate amount of time.

Also, the rocket and the satellite being in the same field of view doesn't indicate that the rocket is near the satellite - it's probably still much closer to them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kojiro posted:

I was playing SWTOR and this droid's head reminded me of something terrible.

So this is how liberty dies.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

...That's it, apparently.

The saddest faces. :(

Edit: Seriously, though, Tom... this page was really fantastic in terms of emotional impact. All the mythology of the comic went away, and Annie is just so obviously a little girl who's feeling hurt, and Donny stops being a super technowizard and is just a guy who knows he can't do enough to help. The tone is spot-on.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 13, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Looks like we won't be seeing Tony for awhile then.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nondevor posted:

Looks like we won't be seeing Tony for awhile then.

We might! The chapter isn't over yet and there's definitely room for a reversal or twist.

... Honestly though I expect, at best, we'll just get more commentary from Donald/Annie about him. Maybe even a quote from Annie that says, "Now that I had heard from him, it would be another two years before I saw him in person..."

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Tea-san, what is the saddest thing?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That last panel is so incredibly heartbreaking :(

Gunnerkrigg has done sad before. There have been several pages that I found difficult to read. Annie's face in that last panel beggars every single one.

I haven't been moved like that by fiction in a long time. Thank you, Tea-san.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
As noted, Annie's expressions are very well done here. I really like the profile in the 4th panel. I think it's a shot we don't see very often, and it's used very effectively there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If emptyposting were not a bad thing, I think sad Gol-Shogeg alone would be enough.

:(

Tom, this is such a beautiful page.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Madrox posted:

As noted, Annie's expressions are very well done here. I really like the profile in the 4th panel. I think it's a shot we don't see very often, and it's used very effectively there.

Yeah, that panel was really arresting. I had to scroll back up and look at it again when I finished reading the page. There's something so nice about the yearning in it and the familiar-unfamiliarity of a slowly growing up Annie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's it. :smith:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 13, 2012

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Cold_Ethyl posted:

Would anyone mind if I took this? I adore gunnerkrigg and I think it's about time I got a fancy av :)

I'd prefer it if you got this:

(All avatars must face towards the post!)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I know telescopes have this black circle in the middle of their lens at their ends but I can't shake the image that Annie and Donald are about to be crushed by a meteor.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
D'aww, what a lovely page.

Also the occasional MSPA chat in this thread got me reading homestuck for the first time. It is amazing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:smith:

Edit: For Ephphatha's sake:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or, slightly more pulled out:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SirSamVimes posted:

you die now

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

Excellent page today, Tom. That's the perfect way to end the chapter, though I assume it's not ending already.

Cold_Ethyl
Aug 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS

I am SO smart

Ephphatha posted:

I'd prefer it if you got this:

(All avatars must face towards the post!)

<<<<< well look who just got a snazzy avatar! :neckbeard:

Annies face on the newpage :( I can feel her dissapointment, the fact that i've learned so much about her dad this chapter has made it worse, I was almost liking him and now I feel so let down... Did anyone else get the vibe that the reason he didn't ask Brinnie out is because he really fancied Surma?

Also, I would buy the poo poo out of Gunnerkrigg themed jewellery Tom, Annie's necklace would be snapped up.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Ugh, I gotta stop reading the Deegan hate thread before checking out GC. Between today's DD being so terrible and today's Gunnerkrigg Court being so great I think I got whip lash! :unsmith:

vvv: Especially if that art style was terrible to begin with and said artist has been using that terrible art style for ~8 years :v:

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 13, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It takes art and writing chops to make a page like this not feel like an anti-climax. Good thing we have Tom doing both.

Saoshyant posted:

The evolution of the art is also a nice counterpoint to any artist who says they don't need to improve. :v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh, only 7 words, but this page is really sad. Great work as usual, just overall so sad.

Though could someone help me out on my literary terms. The rocket/satellite are being used as an allusion correct?

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 13, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ahh, only 7 words, but this page is really sad. Great work as usual, just overall so sad.

Though could someone help me out on my literary terms. The rocket/satellite are being as allusion correct?

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, the satellite could be seen as a metaphor for her father's distance from Annie- both physical and possibly emotional. An allusion is typically a a reference to something. I apologize if I misunderstood what you were thinking.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Saoshyant posted:

I agree with this, as someone who was stuck in the archives for a while (for reasons of being busy, not that I didn't want to be reading) and just recently caught up. Upon reflection I realized that the growth of the art matches really nicely with the growth of the story -- it really gives the impression that Antimony, et al mature and become more nuanced personalities as the story begins to engage more seriously with the world. Consider the contrast between the current chapter (Antimony the young woman feeling some pretty serious Emotions about her dad) and the first (Antimony the unusual and intelligent kid gaining a second shadow and deciding the best course of action is to build a robot).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

The Walker posted:

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, the satellite could be seen as a metaphor for her father's distance from Annie- both physical and possibly emotional. An allusion is typically a a reference to something. I apologize if I misunderstood what you were thinking.

Hmm, yes. I suppose you are right, this isn't a reference to one particular thing. Thanks.
I was referring to the rocket being a metaphor for her father, and the satellite to a lesser extent being a metaphor for her mother. The "they flew away" line really invokes her situation with her parents for me.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 13, 2012

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I agree with this, as someone who was stuck in the archives for a while (for reasons of being busy, not that I didn't want to be reading) and just recently caught up. Upon reflection I realized that the growth of the art matches really nicely with the growth of the story -- it really gives the impression that Antimony, et al mature and become more nuanced personalities as the story begins to engage more seriously with the world. Consider the contrast between the current chapter (Antimony the young woman feeling some pretty serious Emotions about her dad) and the first (Antimony the unusual and intelligent kid gaining a second shadow and deciding the best course of action is to build a robot).

Yeah you kinda sound like Patrick Bateman here.

The art changed because it's impossible to draw 2-3 pages a week with this kind of detail for 5+ years and not have your art change.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fosborb posted:

The art changed because it's impossible to draw 2-3 pages a week with this kind of detail for 5+ years and not have your art change.

Well, that too, OBviously :P

Tom got better at art and storytelling as the story progressed, but it's a cool reflection of the development of the characters from children into young adults that the art and storytelling DID keep pace with their growth so elegantly. So, whether on purpose or happy accident, it's still Pretty Cool™.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

fosborb posted:

Patrick Bateman would wax philosophic about a much more mediocre comic.

But yeah, as thespaceinvader said, there's a difference between intention and effect. Regardless of the practical reasons for an evolution in art style, what's happened with GKC is very fortuitous in terms of the development of the story, the art, and the characters all feeding into each other.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I really have no idea what's going to happen after this. Seems like there's something left to be said about Anthony. Mostly what we've learned is just that he makes Annie seem like a social butterfly in contrast.

Also.

SirSamVimes posted:

JIMMY JIMS?
Your avatar cracks me up every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

SirSamVimes posted:

Has anyone claimed this yet? Also, any ideas for a good quote, anyone? I was thinking "That's it?" but it's so sad, I don't know... :smith: